PDA

View Full Version : becoming a complete vegan

RESAGAIL
11-22-2003, 04:15 AM
I like morning star products like veggie bacon, sausages boca burger,& the pizza is great but i need more healthy products & recipes so that I can become a complete vegan , also what about vitamins so that i am getting all of my nutrients by cutting out all meats & poulrty?????any body have any ideas?????????????

curlygirl
11-22-2003, 04:28 AM
If you are eating a vegan diet, you need to supplement vitamin B12, it is the most important thing that you get from meat that can't be obtained from plants. It used to be available naturally in plants, but we have over harvested the soil to the point that it's no longer naturally there. Most enriched soymilks have extra vitamin B12 in them. Nutritional yeast is also a very good source of B12. While B12 is essential, most folks have plenty built up in their systems from eating meat. Don't panic if you have not been getting it.

I wasn't sure if you're using the Morningstar products to transistion to a vegan diet, or if they are part of your vegan diet. Many of their meat analogs have egg whites in them to help bind the product. Boca burger as well. Boca burger only makes one vegan burger, their other burgers are not vegan.

Try some beans and rice w/avocado, olives, tofu sour cream or whatever kind of toppings you like. Lentils are great and can be made quickly in a variety of ways. Gardenburger makes a great bbq riblet that even my meat eating husband will eat and sometimes he makes it for himself.

BlakStaar
11-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Congrats on becoming a vegetarian !
As Curlygirl mentioned, watch out for the fake meat products, many aren't really vegetarian. One mistake transitioning vegetarians make is eating too many fake meat products and heavy starches.
There are hundreds of vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there, go to your local bookstore and check some out. You can also find millions of free recipes online, including here on Nappturality. Some of my favorite cookbooks are:
Heal Thyself Natural Living Cookbook
The Vegetarian SoulFood Cookbook
Soups,stews,and salads provide a great and healthy way for becoming a vegetarian.
To learn more about the nutritional aspects of being a vegetarian I suggest reading: Satan I'm Taking My Health Back by Jawanza Kunjufu.
Meat eaters and non-meat eaters all need to take vitamins and minerals. There are 103 vitamins and minerals our bodies need, and we can't get all of those vitamins and minerals everyday solely from our food. As mentioned above, our soil is depleted of many important vitamins and minerals. Vegans need to make sure we get enough vitamin B-12 , Iron, and Calcium especially. Here are some common foods you can get these
specific minerals from:
Vitamin B-12- Nutritional Yeast,Wheat Germ Enriched Milks &Grains such as sprouted multigrain bread and cereal. Even some drinks are enriched with V.B-12
Iron-Spinach,Greens, Whole Wheat, Raisins,Prunes,Sesame/Sunflower Seeds, Beans(Black-Eyed peas,pinto,black beans,lentils),Oats
Calcium-Broccoli,Kale, Collard Greens, Almonds/Almond Milk, Blackstrap Mollases (sp?), Beans, Rice/Oat/Soy Milk
Also check out” Vitamins and Minerals form A-Z with Ethno Consciousness” by Jewel Pookrum

Hoped I helped !. Peace.

RESAGAIL
11-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by BlakStaar@Nov 22 2003, 04:58 AM
As Curlygirl mentioned, watch out for the fake meat products, many aren't really vegetarian. One mistake transitioning vegetarians make is eating too many fake meat products and heavy starches.
There are hundreds of vegetarian/vegan cookbooks out there, go to your local bookstore and check some out. You can also find millions of free recipes online, including here on Nappturality. Some of my favorite cookbooks are:
Soups,stews,and salads provide a great and healthy way for becoming a vegetarian.
To learn more about the nutritional aspects of being a vegetarian I suggest reading: Satan I'm Taking My Health Back by Jawanza Kunjufu.
Meat eaters and non-meat eaters all need to take vitamins and minerals. There are 103 vitamins and minerals our bodies need, and we can't get all of those vitamins and minerals everyday solely from our food. As mentioned above, our soil is depleted of many important vitamins and minerals. Vegans need to make sure we get enough vitamin B-12 , Iron, and Calcium especially. Here are some common foods you can get these
specific minerals from:
Vitamin B-12- Nutritional Yeast,Wheat Germ Enriched Milks &Grains such as sprouted multigrain bread and cereal. Even some drinks are enriched with V.B-12
Iron-Spinach,Greens, Whole Wheat, Raisins,Prunes,Sesame/Sunflower Seeds, Beans(Black-Eyed peas,pinto,black beans,lentils),Oats
Calcium-Broccoli,Kale, Collard Greens, Almonds/Almond Milk, Blackstrap Mollases (sp?), Beans, Rice/Oat/Soy Milk
Also check out” Vitamins and Minerals form A-Z with Ethno Consciousness” by Jewel Pookrum

Hoped I helped !. Peace.
Thanks for all the great advice that was very informative,so do you make any of the meal out of the vegan recipe books? And if so what is your favorite?what kind of thankgiving meal will you have? if you have any more info,on this i waoul like to know.... thanks much :d)

TuralNap
12-13-2003, 02:06 AM
veganliving (http://www.veganstreet.com/veganliving/index.html) :)

RESAGAIL
12-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by BlakStaar@Nov 22 2003, 04:58 AM
specific minerals from:

Hoped I helped !. Peace.
I have been searching for that vegatarian soulfood cookbook cant find it any where. Vegetarian food with a little soul sounds good.. :duck

LotsOfLocs
12-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by RESAGAIL@Dec 30 2003, 05:25 AM
I have been searching for that vegatarian soulfood cookbook cant find it any where. Vegetarian food with a little soul sounds good.. :duck
http://sf1000.registeredsite.com/~user5472...ategory_Code=CB (http://sf1000.registeredsite.com/~user547203/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CPO&Product_Code=CP06&Category_Code=CB)

nottyfreedom
12-31-2003, 03:23 AM
i have a great soul food cookbook from the hebrew israelite-soul vegetarian in atlanta (among other places)...it has recipes for lintelpatties, garvey burgers, dips, drinks, milks, among other things.

you can find it here www.kingdomoffyah.com

RealBeautyTT
01-22-2004, 03:29 AM
I'm also a morning star product and Gardenburger lover . Congrats on striving to go all the way. But, I must tell you that when you become a vegetarian that you can run low on fuel because of the lack of necessary vitamins that you would get out of meat. Trust me I know because my sister is one-sometimes she gets bad cramps! So, go to GNC and load up on the Womens vitamins containing B vitamins and others that are found in poultry, including calcium. Maybe u can check if they have a vitamin especially for vegetarians, who knows
Take care

Intice
01-27-2004, 08:25 PM
watch out for the fake meat products, many aren't really vegetarian

WHAT?!?!?!?! :shock

hOW IS THAT SO?????Thats false advertisement!

What brands???? Do you have any info on this that I can read up on?

LotsOfLocs
01-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Intice@Jan 27 2004, 04:25 PM

watch out for the fake meat products, many aren't really vegetarian

Most are vegetarian, just not vegan. Most have eggs, cheese, and milk.

tdhayes
01-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs+Jan 29 2004, 09:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LotsOfLocs @ Jan 29 2004, 09:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Intice@Jan 27 2004, 04:25 PM

watch out for the fake meat products, many aren&#39;t really vegetarian

Most are vegetarian, just not vegan. Most have eggs, cheese, and milk. [/b][/quote]
The same thing also goes for alot of the "vegetarian cheeses"...if you read the ingredients, alot of them have "casein (a dry skim milk protein)" written on there...

kinksandcoils
01-29-2004, 08:06 PM
hey, congrats!

www.vegweb.com has some great recipies, and lists of places that you can purchase vegan cosmetics and shoes! also www.peta.org has a list of ingrediants that you may want to look out for in products( food and otherwise)... for example a product may say casein, or whey instead of milk...

Good luck! :rainfro