PDA

View Full Version : Found A Style

free4life
09-15-2005, 12:26 AM
yeah so i found a style that is easy to deal with. have to use the curling iron once or twice then the curls stay in the whole week with out me having to curl them again. i like the style and my hair is really not long enough for any other styles. especially since i'm so cut happy. so you think the curlling iron will hurt my hair? i don't think it will because i can't curl the new growth it's way to short to get down there. but my mom does h.ot c.omb my hair before she curles it as well. so what you all think? i think it's ok because it's only like once a week. whenever we try rollersets they don't come out right

shortie06
09-15-2005, 12:40 AM
are you using a heat protectant or old fashioned grease? It's also important to deep condition before using heat.

Only1biancab
09-15-2005, 12:49 AM
People are free to do what they want but discussing heat on this site is a no-no. Out of respect, many members don't discuss heat despite whether they use it or not because it is against the rules of Nappturality.

Hair Board Rules (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?act=SR&f=2)
On heat and straightening, the real deal (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42852)

Personally, I don't think you should be heat straightening your hair.

shortie06
09-15-2005, 01:13 AM
May i ask why it is against the rules to discuss heat styling? I read the post on the dangers of heat styling, but if you are only doing it maybe once a month or even less than that on a low heat setting and using a heat protectant then there aren't going to be any problems. There are lots of things that harm the health of your hair, but just because it is discussed here doesn't mean every member is obligated to do it too. If glycerin was found to harm the hair would it be against the rules to post about it the use of it on your hair?

free4life
09-15-2005, 01:24 AM
yeah i deep condition and use the heat protectant spray. it makes the curls stay longer then they usually would.

it says not to ask how to straigten it. i'm not asking people how to straighten my hair. i'm really just asking about the curling iron. i'm not even touching my new growth with the heat.

Only1biancab
09-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Like I said, what you do at your own home is your own business. If someone wants to straighten their hair then okay. But there's a difference between straightening your hair and talking about straightening your hair on NP. Discussing heat just isn't allowed here. You're free to bring up this discussion at other sites that do allow heat discussion. It's common courtesy to respect someone's house, right? Well, it's common courtesy to respect the site owner's rules. And of those rules is no heat discussion.

Glycerin may indeed harm someone's hair. It dries some people's hair out, but it wouldn't be banned from discussion because it doesn't change hair texture. Remember this is NAPPturality. The focus is on napps and not straightening with heat or chemicals. As I said before, there are plenty of other sites to discuss heat at. Feel free to use them.

Only1biancab
09-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Posts about using heat protectants and all other suggestions about how to straighten hair are deleted/locked as well. Personally, I don't see the point of burning re.laxed hair either. The point of transitioning is to hold on to re.laxed hair until your natural hair is long enough. Well, heat straightening has the potential to break off the already-damaged re.laxed hair. Then what's left to transition with? You want justification for using heat. I don't have any. Not even for re.laxed hair. Even at re.laxed hair sites, there are no heat challenges and stuff. They know how damaging it can be. I think you know, too. I don't know why you're asking a question you already know the answer to. Why do people make this so hard?
:dunno:

Daughter-of-Diaspora
09-15-2005, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by free4life@Sep 14 2005, 06:26 PM
yeah so i found a style that is easy to deal with. have to use the curling iron once or twice then the curls stay in the whole week with out me having to curl them again. i like the style and my hair is really not long enough for any other styles. especially since i'm so cut happy. so you think the curlling iron will hurt my hair? i don't think it will because i can't curl the new growth it's way to short to get down there. but my mom does h.ot c.omb my hair before she curles it as well. so what you all think? i think it's ok because it's only like once a week. whenever we try rollersets they don't come out right

Maybe there is something you are not doing or useing to get good results with your rollerset. The first time I did it on my daughter, It looked really dry so the second time I used the proper oil and got great results! It lasted over a week.

Perhaps if you asked about how to get better results with the roller set youll get the answers you need and save your hair from that dreaded heat! ;)

Whitley Gilbert
09-15-2005, 03:13 AM
I only wore rollersets when I was transitioning so they can be achieved. You can see them in my transitioning folder of my album. Also, you should check out www.motowngirl.com for a great tutorial on rollersets.

Now for the heat, it's not good and it's damaging to your hair. You also said your mom straight.ens your hair first. That seems like double the damage. If she st.raightens your natural new growth then it can become permanately straight and not revert back. Many members have complained about this. It will set your transitioning process back. There are better ways to mesh your two textures. Why not make your relaxe.d hair look more like your natu.ral hair rather than trying to st.raighten it and do the opposite? Try braid and twist outs sometime.

Good luck! :)

As for shortie's questions, heat styling isn't just wrong because it's harmful. It's wrong because this site is about embracing our natural texture. Using heat to st.raighten your hair does the opposite of that. ;)

Moderator Y
09-15-2005, 03:14 AM
Per the rules as stated on Nappturality, discussions on straightening hair with heat or by any other manner, are not allowed. Thank you.

Moderator W
09-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by shortie06@Sep 14 2005, 05:13 PM
May i ask why it is against the rules to discuss heat styling? I read the post on the dangers of heat styling, but if you are only doing it maybe once a month or even less than that on a low heat setting and using a heat protectant then there aren't going to be any problems. There are lots of things that harm the health of your hair, but just because it is discussed here doesn't mean every member is obligated to do it too. If glycerin was found to harm the hair would it be against the rules to post about it the use of it on your hair?

Yeah, it would. Heat damages hair, please review the heat topic pinned on the hair board.

Nappturality isn't just about "going natural". It's about loving, accepting, and wearing your hair in its natural, kinky, nappy state. Straightening unprocessed hair isn't discussed here.