PDA

View Full Version : The Deep Conditioner Challenge

Blackstar
09-18-2005, 07:11 PM
i haven't deep conditioned in aaaaaaaaaaaages. always making up some excuse that i don't have the time. well, my hair's dry. nothing works anymore. so i decided to DC today.

i just slathered on everyday conditioner on dry hair (Loreal) and massaged extra virgin olive oil in my hair. i coated every strand with the conditioner and oil, and then wrapped some cling film round my hair and did stuff round the house for an hour.

rinsed out and my napptural locks of hair are so soft.

i'm going to do this so often now. maybe even go overboard.

is anyone else willing to join me on the deep conditioning challenge?

if your hair feels extra dry, this might be the TLC that injects a much needed moisture shot.

lsubabiedee
09-18-2005, 08:32 PM
i need to...how often...my hair is so dry nothing but good can come of this

Blackstar
09-18-2005, 08:43 PM
well, i haven't DC'd in months,a nd my it showed. i think maybe once a week might be Ok. o rmaybe more often until my hair gets back in shape. and then a weekly touch up. anyone in?

shuger
09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Dag, I haven't done a dc since the 26th of March. I really liked how my hair after I did it. I guess I've been supa lazy. I'll have to try it once I take my cornrows out in a week or two.

Blackstar
09-18-2005, 08:55 PM
i always thought it was such an effort. LOL. but all i have tod is slap conditioner on and do stuff round the house for hours. i'm always at home on sundays, 'studyin' ahem... so sundays are going to be DC days. my hair feels so soft. it's crazy.

lsubabiedee
09-18-2005, 08:56 PM
i should do one today...but im feeling lazy

Blackstar
09-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by lsubabiedee@Sep 18 2005, 09:56 PM
i should do one today...but im feeling lazy

come on.... it's the ultimate way to spend a lazy day. :lol:

Only1biancab
09-18-2005, 09:49 PM
I was gonna do this at another forum, but then I heard your hair can be over-conditioned and become too soft, thus causing breakage. So that scared me off for a quick minute. I think once a week is good. I might try this myself, but I like to wear twists or box braids for a month. I'm not sure it's good to deep condition protective styles. I don't want build up. Any suggestions?

vnatural
09-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Only1biancab@Sep 18 2005, 09:49 PM
I was gonna do this at another forum, but then I heard your hair can be over-conditioned and become too soft, thus causing breakage. So that scared me off for a quick minute. I think once a week is good. I might try this myself, but I like to wear twists or box braids for a month. I'm not sure it's good to deep condition protective styles. I don't want build up. Any suggestions?

You could use apple cider vinegar or baking soda and water to get rid of build up. Even washing with a mild shampoo can be helpful, especially with protective styles(I use Thermasilk moisture infusing shampoo, it doesn't dry out my hair). You could use Jason's shampoo from the healthfood store if you want as little chemical ingredients as possible. I have tried Jason's jojoba shampoo and it works fine too.

mocha22
09-18-2005, 10:06 PM
I am going to do that as soon as my braids are out. My hair could use it after being put under stress.

struggling_cherub
09-18-2005, 10:09 PM
I'd rather my hair be a bit over conditioned and soft than wiry and rough. At least the solution to overconditioning is doing nothing. :P

Only1biancab
09-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by vnatural@Sep 18 2005, 03:58 PM
You could use apple cider vinegar or baking soda and water to get rid of build up. Even washing with a mild shampoo can be helpful, especially with protective styles

That's a great idea. Well, I'm sold. My hair could definitely use it. I'm gonna shoot for once a week. Or once every two weeks as my backup plan.

stillwater09
09-18-2005, 10:25 PM
i am going to try to do this between every retwisting (i'm keeping my hair in twist for 6 months, twisting once a month *fingers crossed*) so this can fit in well with my protective style challenge...

thanks!! i'll have to do research on a good deep conditioner... for some reason regular ones don't work well for me (maybe because oil doesn't work well...?) maybe i'll give what you did one last try :)

Twistie74
09-18-2005, 10:39 PM
I just bought this new conditioner from Aveda the other day called Damage Remedy. I tried to find it on the website but for all I know, maybe it's only in stores right now :dunno:

It's described as an 'intensive restructuring treatment'. I'm gonna use it tonight :)

freelocks
09-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Hmm, I haven't DC my hair in ages, can't recall the last time my hair had that pleasure. I will do this tonight. I have lesson plans to write up for work so what a good time for conditioner to be sittin on my follicles!

babygirlwoman
09-18-2005, 11:01 PM
i'm doin it! now i get to go buy a nice conditioner and olive oil

... any excuse to shop

Nappytop
09-18-2005, 11:11 PM
I will join your challenge. I deep conditioned yesterday..and I an feel the difference. With my hair..I must DC at least once a week.

afrobeauty77
09-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I DC once a week, and I always notice a marked difference after I am done. Deep Conditioning is definitely a good thing indeed.

momi
09-19-2005, 12:48 AM
I deep condition at least once a week... any excuse to play in my hair.

Whitley Gilbert
09-19-2005, 12:56 AM
I hadn't deep conditioned my hair in ages until yesterday. I couldn't believe it had been that long and my hair was glad to have the experience yesterday. I think this is a good idea so I'll join in. I think I'll stick to doing it weekly if I do it with a group otherwise I'll get lazy and put it off. ;)

lsubabiedee
09-19-2005, 01:34 AM
ok...i left some of my suave conditioner+evoo+honey in my hair after my shower....im thinking maybe i do deep condition alot b/c im always leaving conditioners in for a day or so

Blackstar
09-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Only1biancab+Sep 18 2005, 10:49 PM-->

[/b]
that's a good a point. i think i'll stick to only at weekends. when i was a teen, i always used to pamper myself on weekends. what happened to my vanity? i'd do face masks, DC my hair, give myself a pedicure, soak in the bath for hours...and I was only 14. 10 years on and I've let myself go.... :D

<!--QuoteBegin-stillwater09@Sep 18 2005, 11:25 PM
i am going to try to do this between every retwisting (i&#39;m keeping my hair in twist for 6 months, twisting once a month *fingers crossed*) so this can fit in well with my protective style challenge...

thanks!! i&#39;ll have to do research on a good deep conditioner... for some reason regular ones don&#39;t work well for me (maybe because oil doesn&#39;t work well...?) maybe i&#39;ll give what you did one last try :)

i think the extra virgin oil is so rich in fatty acids that it increases the strength of normal conditioners. plus the conditioner is sitting on your hair for longer than the 1 minute it normally does. this gives it time to really penetrate our curly, nappy follicles.

my hair is still so soft. i can&#39;t wait for sunday to roll by!!!

jtsupa
09-19-2005, 02:27 PM
I&#39;ll join normally I deep condish weekly as part or my weekend wind down (facial self pedi and mani movies and take out) but latley I&#39;ve been finding my self to busy and it shows

babygirlwoman
09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Blackstar@Sep 19 2005, 05:44 AM

that&#39;s a good a point. i think i&#39;ll stick to only at weekends. when i was a teen, i always used to pamper myself on weekends. what happened to my vanity? i&#39;d do face masks, DC my hair, give myself a pedicure, soak in the bath for hours...and I was only 14. 10 years on and I&#39;ve let myself go.... :D

I was just thinking about that. Sundays used to be my spa day in my teens. I&#39;m going to bring that back into my life too....ooh we gunna be so purdy and feel sooo gooood.

BreezySeas
09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I make it a point to deep condition I picked up the habit when I had relaxed hair. I do it at least once a week or I will start to feel guilty. I sit under the hair dryer with a plastic cap so it absorbs in my hair. I am starting to feel lonely after reading this thread am I obsessive about my hair? YEP!

eri
09-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by stillwater09@Sep 18 2005, 05:25 PM
i&#39;ll have to do research on a good deep conditioner... for some reason regular ones don&#39;t work well for me (maybe because oil doesn&#39;t work well...?) maybe i&#39;ll give what you did one last try :)

yeah, me too.

jmnappy
09-19-2005, 06:21 PM
I haven&#39;t deep conditioned in months. Probably not since last year. :dunno: Thanks for the reminder. I&#39;ll have to squeeze it in tonight.

N1SEXYTING
09-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Blackstar@Sep 19 2005, 09:44 AM
i think the extra virgin oil is so rich in fatty acids that it increases the strength of normal conditioners. plus the conditioner is sitting on your hair for longer than the 1 minute it normally does. this gives it time to really penetrate our curly, nappy follicles.

my hair is still so soft. i can&#39;t wait for sunday to roll by!!!

I&#39;m definitely in cos my hair is in need of some serious TLC, what conds are ppl using? :dunno:

missCONGENIALity
09-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I&#39;m in. Usually try ever other week, but I think every week is best.

lsubabiedee
09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
well...i got off my lazy behind and washed and left that conditioner in yesterday...well...i was too lazy to wash it out...so yeah, its still in my hair right now.... *yawn*

Only1biancab
09-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by lsubabiedee@Sep 19 2005, 03:45 PM
well...i got off my lazy behind and washed and left that conditioner in yesterday...well...i was too lazy to wash it out...so yeah, its still in my hair right now.... *yawn*

:huh: :pointlaugh:

Who told you to do it? Blackstar should be kicking herself right now. Yeeeeah, we&#39;re not going to encourage you to do it again when you&#39;re lazy. It&#39;s better that you not do it at all then leave it in too long.

:lol:

ajargon
09-20-2005, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Blackstar@Sep 18 2005, 01:11 PM
i haven&#39;t deep conditioned in aaaaaaaaaaaages. always making up some excuse that i don&#39;t have the time. well, my hair&#39;s dry. nothing works anymore. so i decided to DC today.

i just slathered on everyday conditioner on dry hair (Loreal) and massaged extra virgin olive oil in my hair. i coated every strand with the conditioner and oil, and then wrapped some cling film round my hair and did stuff round the house for an hour.

i&#39;m going to do this so often now. maybe even go overboard.

if your hair feels extra dry, this might be the TLC that injects a much needed moisture shot.

Girl I had too! My hair was just too dry and hard. I added honey/coconut oil to my dc. no pooed, and my hair is just too soft :wub: ! I was rubbing in my hair all day long!

lsubabiedee
09-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Only1biancab+Sep 19 2005, 09:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lsubabiedee@Sep 19 2005, 03:45 PM

:huh: :pointlaugh:

Who told you to do it? Blackstar should be kicking herself right now. Yeeeeah, we&#39;re not going to encourage you to do it again when you&#39;re lazy. It&#39;s better that you not do it at all then leave it in too long.

:lol:

[/b]

oh...this happens all the time...my deep conditioning treatment is also one of my leave-ins that i use a few times a week

Only1biancab
09-20-2005, 05:43 AM
Oh okay, Lol. I should try leaving it in overnight. I couldn&#39;t leave it in for good,but just for the night sounds good.

miasimone
09-20-2005, 08:18 AM
If you&#39;re looking for a good deep conditioner try one of the following products from Mia Simone&#39;s Boutique:

>> HOV-PS Ultra Hydrating Conditioning Treatment (Intense Deep Moisturizing Conditioner for DRY hair).

>> Aloe Vera Herbal Leave-In Treatment ( Packed full of vitamins, minerals and hair strengthening nutrients.

http://www.miasb.com

ajargon
09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
I just did a dc tx over the weekend! My hair has been thankin me ever since! I can&#39;t be sleeping on thoes! Girls, just take the time out to do it! You know that it&#39;s good to you too! :)

cyndependant
09-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok i am in.
i have been so guilty of washing and throwing something in and rinsing it right out.
So im down for the challenge!

RubyRedLove
09-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Count me in. I can&#39;t tell you the last time I dc&#39;d or trimmed and I know I&#39;m looong overdue for both. Matter of fact, while I&#39;m sitting here catching up on NP, I can be letting the dc sit. I&#39;ll be back...

Blackstar
09-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Kreative@Sep 24 2005, 06:23 PM
Count me in. I can&#39;t tell you the last time I dc&#39;d or trimmed and I know I&#39;m looong overdue for both. Matter of fact, while I&#39;m sitting here catching up on NP, I can be letting the dc sit. I&#39;ll be back...

:lol: drag yourself away from the PC. i&#39;m off to DC too

afromation
09-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I haven&#39;t washed my hair in dang near a month (which is bad since I colored a month ago) so I just washed with my Dr. Bronners and conditioned with DDTA (VERY Impressed with that conditioner)

Now I&#39;m deep conditioning with Textures and Tones Reconstructor, Jojoba Oil, and Honey. I tink I&#39;ll keep it on for a few hours and then do an ACV rinse.

honey*almond
09-24-2005, 06:17 PM
I&#39;m in. I will deep condition at least once weekly. I love slathering the DC on and just piling my hair up into my scarf...and doing whatever needs to be done around the house *even falling asleep for a nap sometimes* while it soaks in. My hair feels great upon rinsing.

I love soft poofy hair!

Angel777
09-24-2005, 10:34 PM
I don&#39;t know if this counts as deep conditioning but every time I shampoo my hair I don&#39;t rinse out the conditioner. I just add hair oil then blow dry it a bit (to open up the hair cuticle & get rid of excess water) then braid it to stretch it out a bit.

RubyRedLove
09-24-2005, 11:10 PM
I&#39;m back. I dc&#39;d, cleaned up around the house, went & got some garlic crabs w/fixins, got stuf&#39;d, took my shower and rinsed out the conditioner. My hair feels so much better and I do too!

TrueSugar
09-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I am in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have not DC since I BC&#39;d!!!!!!!!!!!

MsNettye
09-25-2005, 02:43 AM
I&#39;m in!
Got CD on my head now. I DC each time I wash my hair ~ 1 time per week. It is so late I&#39;m wondering if I should sleep in it so my hair will be fresh for church in the am. I hate to rinse it out now and have to wet again in the am - just a few hours.
Is it possible to leave commercial conditioners in too long? I am using Elasta Conditioner - the directions say to leave on 25 minutes - it take me longer that that to apply it to sections and detangle.

I am going to rinse it out tonight - I was just wondering for the future.

Jhera
09-25-2005, 03:26 PM
This sounds pretty good since my hair feels dry right now. Okay I am on my way...I&#39;ll wash it, leave in the conditioner and add EVOO. I have rehearsal tonight so this week I will leave it for 1.5 hours and see what happens! I think I can do this every week...count me in! :P

Lockolatte
09-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I&#39;ll do it too! My hair feels so soft when I DC.

Blackstar
09-25-2005, 04:19 PM
i DC&#39;d today. i&#39;m never going to stop doing this. it&#39;s just so easy esepcially on sundays.

here&#39;s what i did:

1. on dry, mashed up just out of bed hair i massaged Loreal&#39;s conditioner and combed it through with a wide-tooth comb. then i coated my hair again with more conditioner and massaged olive oil and castor oil in my hair.

2. wrapped it up with plast foil, went back to bed adn read Zadie Smith&#39;s new book On Beauty.

3. after an hour or so, hopped in the shower....you know the rest

very soft hair

Jhera
09-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Wow my hair is soooo soft! I hope this lasts for a few days. I can&#39;t get my hands out of my hair! I shampooed with Oyin poo bar and conditioned with Oyin honey hemp. I added EVOO and slapped on some saran wrap. I left the wrap on for 2 hours and went to rehearsal. Total of 8 hours with the conditioner and EVOO on my hair.

I rinsed when I got home at 7:45 and boy oh boy does this feel nice :wub:
I can&#39;t wait till next Sunday!

lsubabiedee
09-27-2005, 02:52 AM
im doing another dc tonite....used lekair shea butter cholesterol creme and i added olive and coconut oil...i actually detangled my hair in sections! lol...i think i might even do an acv rinse when i wash too...and maybe even a trim! woohoo!

Scribetastic
10-01-2005, 10:32 PM
It sounds great! I keep my hair in two strand twists and I take down the style once a week because my hair is so fine it just starts looking funny. This time I was busy with school, so I didn&#39;t have time. I went two weeks and when I took out my twists I shed tons of hair (a natural process, so no worries), but it also seemed that my hair was very dry and was breaking off (time to worry)!

I&#39;m now trying your method. I&#39;m using a Patene conditioner (those seem to work well with my hair) and extra virgin olive oil. Of course, doing something around the house is right out (I&#39;m too lazy, but I can surf the Internet for an hour)!

Let&#39;s hope it softens up my fine and dry hair!

Originally posted by Blackstar@Sep 19 2005, 04:11 AM
i haven&#39;t deep conditioned in aaaaaaaaaaaages. always making up some excuse that i don&#39;t have the time. well, my hair&#39;s dry. nothing works anymore. so i decided to DC today.

i&#39;m going to do this so often now. maybe even go overboard.

Blackstar
10-01-2005, 11:15 PM
good luck!!!!! i bet you it will!!!

spiral
10-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Blackstar, I don&#39;t know how I missed this thread! I deep conditioned yesterday for the first time in many months. It really made a difference. I plan to do deep condition with my heating cap every week now.

Scribetastic
10-02-2005, 07:20 AM
My hair was so dry that it took two deep conditioning treatments to get it feeling soft again.

I did one this morning with the Pantene moisturizing deep conditioner and olive oil, but had to run off to church. So I just had my hair in a big poofy afro and a headband.

I got back home and did deep conditioner part two with the Pantene Intensive restoration treatment and olive oil.

This time my hair felt soft and much easier to handle.

Now I just have to make sure I try to do this once a week!!!

Thanks. :hug:

Blackstar
10-02-2005, 12:21 PM
i DC&#39;d today. once you get into it it becomes a habit.

This time i used up some old Pantene I had lying around, plus flaxseed gel and olive oil.

Lush uses flaxseed gel in their DConditioner, so I decided to give it a try.
It worked.

And I made my own broke girl&#39;s heating cap.

Plastic wrap and a blow dryer.

momi
10-02-2005, 11:35 PM
DC today - Jojoba and olive oil and ors hair mayo.

still have it on... will rinse after desperate housewives.

hathor6
10-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I deep condition now TWICE every time I wash my hair which is 3-4 times a week. I have to do it now because my dandruff shampoo Nizoral became really drying to my hair when I added rosemary oil to it. Somehow the oil reacted to something in the shampoo and now it causes dryness to my hair.

My routine is that I mixed olive oil and honey to my Sauve natural tropical coconut conditioner, apply to hair dry, shower cap and let sit for 20 minutes. Wash hair with Nizoral shampoo. Then I just bought Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor (it says that it replenish moisture) and dried it for the first time this morning. My hair is less dry feeling.

michelle1908
10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Count me in. I&#39;ve been doing a pretty good job of Deep Conditioning weekly since a few weeks before my BC. This will give me a little more motivation to keep up the good work.

meky
10-05-2005, 05:07 AM
I am going to have to DC this weekend. Maybe it will offer a solution to my dry thirsty strands.

Thanks for the reminder that conditioning is key!

SolSistah
10-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Count me in. I was just thinking it was time for a DC. It was early August the last time I gave myself one. I&#39;ll do it Friday.

Blackstar
10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
check in this weekend and do post if you noticed any difference. :-)

eri
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
finally dc&#39;d monday before i retwisted. my hair was so soft and fluffy!

NATURALEE
10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Doing a deep weekly or sometimes bi-weekly deep conditioner on my hair has done wonders for it. My TLC worked.

coco4403
10-05-2005, 07:27 PM
I will join the challenge soon as i take these kinky twists down. Im sure my hair will need it!

Blackstar
10-09-2005, 02:37 PM
3 tbl shea butter
1 cup olive oil
2 tbl honey

melt the oil and butter in a double boiler for 20 minutes. this will stop the shea butter from turning grainy when it solidifies.

pour into a bottle, pop in the fridge. as it cools down it would turn into a creamy pomadey texture.

melt your honey and add it while liquid and warm to your shea butter pomade.

shake the bottle.

i deep conditioned with this. i slathered it over the conditioner on my hair and let sit for about an hour or so. my ponypuff is so soft.

msdeedee3
10-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by spiral@Oct 1 2005, 05:03 PM
Blackstar, I don&#39;t know how I missed this thread! I deep conditioned yesterday for the first time in many months. It really made a difference. I plan to do deep condition with my heating cap every week now.

Spiral, I previously read something you wrote about Heating Caps and DC treatments. Girl, I ran out today and purchased a Heating Cap and I am giving myself a DC treatment as I write this reply. I did the BC last Saturday October 1st and I just love it, I can&#39;t seem to keep my hands out of my head. I transitioned for approximately 8 months and then I just couldn&#39;t take it anymore. I have opted for the no-poo method. The conditioner I use is LeKair Cholesterol Plus Aloe Formula for Extra Dry Hair, and then I add a little Olive Oil to it, well we will see what happens. When I purchased the heating cap I also purchased a bottle of Sta-Sof-Fro and Care Free Curl Activator. Since my BC, I have been using my sons S-Curl products and I love the manageability. I remember back in the day when Curls were out those products really made my hair grow and worked great as a detangler. Anyway, I am going to try them again the Curl products minus the Curly Perm, if that makes any since.

I also would like to thank Nappturality and all the beautiful ladies who has provided nothing but informative information, without you guys I would be totally lost.

Thank you
Msdeedee3

msdeedee3
10-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Oh my! This was my 1st time giving myself a DC treatment with a heating cap and my TWA sucked all that conditioner and Olive Oil right up. I am in shock :shocker: Again, I did the BC last Saturday October 1st and I just can’t seem to keep my hands out of my hair. After reading all the informative information on Nappturality all I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Melanizm
10-09-2005, 07:41 PM
well i guess i&#39;m in because i deep condition every single time i condition :D and I&#39;ve done so for a longggg time. I always put the conditioner on and let it sit w/ a plastic cap for atleast 30 minutes but usually closer to an hour. sometimes I wrap a towel around or sit under the dryer too. in the colder months i add coconut oil to the conditioner too. regular deep conditioning has kept my hair in great shape.

Natural Kinks
10-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I am going to TRY to condition for at least 30 minutes twice a month. I will probably invest in a heating cap. I usually condition right after I shampoo in the shower and then rinse it out and wash up. We&#39;ll see how it goes.

msdeedee3
10-23-2005, 09:48 PM
:Angry_boese008: :Angry_boese008: :Angry_boese008: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY did my blow dryer go out today while I was in the process of DC my hair with my heating cap. :Angry_boese008: :Angry_boese008: :Angry_boese008:

Blackstar
10-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Dc-d today too. it&#39;s a good habit to get into. My hair and scalp always feels so alive afterwards. i used EVOO

Felicity
10-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Oh I&#39;m a little late but I will join this challange also. :D I plan on deep conditioning every Sunday with Grapeseed Oil, EVOO or Lekeir Cholesteral Plus.

SolSistah
10-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Ok, so far i&#39;ve managed every other week. That&#39;s four weeks in all. I just got through. This time I did an acv rinse followed by deep conditioning with Parnevue hair mayonaise and added some honey. I wrapped my hair with cling wrap, then put on a foil cap and then wrapped that in a towel. I probably let it sit longer than I should have, almost three hours, but nonetheless, my hair came out so soft and fluffy. It looks like it&#39;s glowing almost. :wub: to my hair.

LaLa*
10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I&#39;m in. I have nothing else to do this winter and I refuse to leave my hair out (in a fro of some fashion) for more than 2 days. I guess I am doing the protective hair style too. Is there a challenge for that too?

Any hoo...

so every week we deep condition?

JUnique1022
10-25-2005, 07:58 PM
I deep condition once a week. Every other week I leave the conditoner on for at least 1 1/2 hours (with a shower cap & towel). Works for me. :D

Jhuidah
12-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Bumping this thread. How are the ladies who were in the challenge doing? I&#39;ve been deep conditioning weekly.

ChelWren
12-14-2005, 12:04 AM
I&#39;m in! I&#39;ll do it tonight.

Chelci

Mae
12-14-2005, 12:21 AM
I just started yesterday. I put the hair mask in and slept with a plastic cap and satin cap. The conditioner is still in...I was going to style it as is, but I decided to rinse it out this evening. I will do an overnight deep conditioning once a week....we will see what happens....

afrobeauty77
12-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I DC every week, it is essential (sp?) with this cold weather. I use Giovanni 50:50 leave it in overnight, my hair has been soft and moist. It has been a good winter for my hair so far.

LaLa*
12-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Blackstar > this is a great idea especially since I am doing protective styles this winter...

and STILL WATER.. your hair is gorgeous how do you go about DC with twist in and keep the styles up!

HEY YOU GUYS... can we use EVOO??? I used all my OO in making flat bread

nu-curl
12-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Don&#39;t remember the last time, at least in the manner you all are describing, doing a DC. I&#39;ll begin this once I take out these cornrows, which is about 2 weeks. May go to salon, and have my hair trimmed and DC&#39;d there... start the year off with a good pampering of myself...

Nikkicute
12-15-2005, 01:31 AM
What kind of heating caps do you use??
I&#39;ve googled and I want the one that plugs in, it has three heat settings.

There is a Sally&#39;s Beauty Supply right down the street I hope they sell them. I going right away tomorrow morning to purchase one.

I will deep condition every Monday. I have the Ultra Black Hair Care Conditoner I bought a while back and did not even use yet.

I think I&#39;ll do an hour for my first treatment and aftewards to it 30min.

This is going to be fun!!!

Thanks Mase for reminding me to get a silk cap to buy also. I protect my ahir while I sleep as well.

LaLa*
12-15-2005, 04:44 AM
Ok I have had conditer in since about 2PM today and it is now 11.43 PM... its been a long while but hey there is no way I am rinsing this late,.. I will in the morning.. I used my EVOO and my hair even dried with the oil is NICE AND SOFT!!! I likey

Angel777
12-17-2005, 01:08 AM
I usually shampoo, rinse, then add conditioner and oil and braid or twist my hair without rinsing till the next shampoo.....I&#39;m not sure if that counts for a DC:P .
N-ways I plan 2 do do a realy DC or hot oil treatment once a week.
For hathro6 I also noticed that adding essential oils to my hair even with the conditioner/oil concuction made it very dry!!!!! So I stay away from them !!!!!

w2goback
12-17-2005, 05:01 AM
I deep condition every week. Thursday I kept my deep conditioning over night into this evening. I wanted to know how long was too long to keep this going for, in one sitting?? Are there any chance for any adverse effect on the hair for keeping in a deep conditioning with plastic cap on?? I kept untying my hair, it was making my head hot.

PS do you ladies DC before you wash or after and what are the results in either case, does it make a difference.

Doggone Right!
12-17-2005, 05:05 AM
I deep condition once a week. This will be no problem for me. :blush:

Nikkicute
12-17-2005, 12:15 PM
I deep condition every week. Thursday I kept my deep conditioning over night into this evening. I wanted to know how long was too long to keep this going for, in one sitting?? Are there any chance for any adverse effect on the hair for keeping in a deep conditioning with plastic cap on?? I kept untying my hair, it was making my head hot.

PS do you ladies DC before you wash or after and what are the results in either case, does it make a difference.
[/b]

Q: If I leave a conditioner on my hair longer than the instructions indicate on the package, will it condition my hair better?

A:
No. The timing indicated on the package has been tested to determine when the product reaches its maximum effectiveness. For best results, follow directions closely.

Cazzie
12-29-2005, 03:35 AM
I make it a point to deep condition I picked up the habit when I had relaxed hair. I do it at least once a week or I will start to feel guilty. I sit under the hair dryer with a plastic cap so it absorbs in my hair. I am starting to feel lonely after reading this thread am I obsessive about my hair? YEP!
[/b]

Gurl I am with you! I absolutely love to deep condition my hair! My only problem is that I think I stay under the dryer to long, but its a like a meditation/relaxtion type thing for me. I pop in a movie and I am set to go! Do you think that sitting for to long would be a bad thing though :unsure:

LaLa*
12-29-2005, 05:47 AM
I&#39;m still here! I&#39;m still in the challenge... I think I average a DC every week but I don&#39;t really clock in the day that I will DC, usually now whenever I condition I make sure that it is more frequent and that it is a DC... which should be something I should be doing period. Not just for the challenge, my hair is showing good results

naturalmom2
01-03-2006, 05:24 AM
well im down for the dc cahllenge

i already dc every weeek i cant stand when my hair is dry
plus i love messing in my hair
i notice after i do a dc my hair is ssoooo soft i now added my daughter to the challenge her hair is growing doing this and the twist challenge too

Debonaire
01-10-2006, 02:33 AM
bumping after getting in from the disgusting cold weather outside.

LaLa*
01-10-2006, 03:33 AM
i noticed that trying to do this challenge and the protective style challenge in the same month has it&#39;s adv. and disadvantages... I haven&#39;t DC since last Monday ... so I&#39;m due for another some time this week..

I&#39;ve been keeping up with you all though

what about the rest of you ladies?

Debonaire
01-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Yea that&#39;s why I bumped it as a reminder for some of us ladies in the challenge. I&#39;m in the challenge also and because of that it&#39;s hard to do deep condition because you want the style to last. So I&#39;ve been doing lighter daily conditions. I&#39;m going to post the reciepe in my Fotki soon but it&#39;s essentially Nettles, Aloe Vera Juice, Coconut Oil, Rose Hip Seed Oil, and a dash of conditioner. No build up and it gives the conditioning that I need to keep my hair soft and moisturized.

NuNaturelle
01-12-2006, 04:18 AM
DC&#39;d today. Usually every 5 - 7 days. Keeps my hair (the little I have) very soft.

Afro Glory
01-12-2006, 12:47 PM
ooops....didn&#39;t last wkd. but will on sunday when i do my sunday cleaning.

Jazitones
01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
i noticed that trying to do this challenge and the protective style challenge in the same month has it&#39;s adv. and disadvantages... I haven&#39;t DC since last Monday ... so I&#39;m due for another some time this week..

I&#39;ve been keeping up with you all though

what about the rest of you ladies?
[/b]

I was just thinking about the same thing in reference to the PSC. I&#39;m joinging everyone, but I &#39;m trying my hardest to keep this twist out in for about another week. Soon after I will do my deep conditioner.

ChelWren
01-16-2006, 10:17 PM
I have never DC&#39;d and I&#39;m thinking about doing it tonight before rolling my twists. Should I clarify first and then do it?

Chelci

Debonaire
01-17-2006, 12:58 AM
CTH I would recommend clarifying first or atleast a good wash. Also since you&#39;ve never done a deep condition before you want to think about what are you going for...to add proteins and build strength? Or just try to restore moisture? If you are trying to nurish your hair think about adding things like eggs (if your hair responds well to proteins) to the condition mix and if you just want to restore moisture think of a really thick conditioner maybe mayo and other oils (this is if your hair likes oils) or humecants.

ChelWren
01-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Thank you very much for your help.

Chelci

LuaBonita
01-17-2006, 02:12 AM
DCed this weekend. put in some conditioner and wrapped it in plastic wrap. i didnt like how it felt afterwards though. then again, i used 2 different conditoners (my daily stuff that i kept in for 5 min and some near empty stuff that i kept in for a few hours). next time ill stick with one

Debonaire
03-19-2006, 09:18 PM
What&#39;s really good?! All the talk of deep conditioning has fallen by the way side I feel. Has everyone been treating their tresses with love? I know I haven&#39;t :(

jazzijenni81
03-19-2006, 09:50 PM
i do DT&#39;s on occasion. since im a daily no pooer, my hair kinda stays in great condition. when i do DT, i use a paste of natures gate, evoo, and molasses on dry hair. my last DT was 2 weeks ago and i have the before/after in the album.

debonaire,
if i stop eating the avacados, i can do your treatment :lol:

runrunrunner
03-19-2006, 09:54 PM
the last time i did was last week
the next time i will will be monday night.

Debonaire
03-19-2006, 09:56 PM
debonaire,
if i stop eating the avacados, i can do your treatment :lol:
[/b]

who are you kidding i got an avacado a week ago all amped up to redo the treatment. i smashed that bad boy in a matter of minutes! thats why my hair is killin me right now...my hair for real is like :angry: and i&#39;m too lazy to walk to the store again.

on the bright side though its warm again so i can start using glycerine again to pull some moisture to my hair. :blush:

jazzijenni81
03-19-2006, 10:19 PM
:pointlaugh:

Franicole
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
I am in even though I have twists and I am still transitioning!! Once a week, then re-twist sounds like a plan until graduation next month, then I can wear wash-n-go&#39;s once I get back to Florida :)

blkgyrl103
03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
i&#39;m down for the cause!

i usually do this about 1x a week when i shampoo...

i&#39;ve been using a shea butter/olive oil mix...and a replenishing pack. makes my napps sing :lol:

LaLa*
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
I was all down for this challenge 4 months ago but have been slacking.. I need to pick it up! It&#39;s easier when you do wash and go-s but when you have to rinse and re-twist... well I just get a bit more lazy

mrsloh
03-20-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a nappy calendar in my bathroom with dates marked that I need to DC by...then I have a MUST DO date on their once a month that I use if I have went with doing my bi-weekly DC. It helps to keep me honest when I see the bolded underlined MUST DC TODAY!...

Debonaire
03-21-2006, 03:13 AM
After posting the other day I realized I was really slacking. I did another yogurt deep condition treatment like I did a few weeks ago. Again, GREAT results.

Ladies, have you DC&#39;ed recently??

Debonaire
09-17-2006, 10:00 AM
5 months and no posts?? Especially with Fall creeping up I think a bump is looking good for this thread. :)

queenshawtii
09-17-2006, 02:18 PM
man i gotta DC next time i wash i have some nutress HAIR condish waiting for me..

mochajava1115
09-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the bump, I&#39;ll be starting this tonight!

QueenScorpio
09-17-2006, 04:29 PM
I am going to join this too; I just Deep Conditioned my hair this morning so it should be a piece of cake to be on. I used Mayonnaise, conditioner and olive oil; my hair feels great but smells a bit funny…oh well we learn from mistakes eh?

divaemeritus
09-17-2006, 04:48 PM
I try to DC at least twice a month - hair mayonnaise mixed with olive oil. I let it sit as long as it wants - sometimes a few hours if I am cleaning or I take a nap.

Hair feels like butter afterward, and I put it in big twists coated with shea butter/coconut oil.

MelanieRaven29
09-18-2006, 07:44 AM
5 months and no posts?? Especially with Fall creeping up I think a bump is looking good for this thread. :)
[/b]

Good! I just dc yesterday (after not dc-ing for about 8 months) with 1 part Olive Oil replenishing pack (I think by ORS) and 1 part Pure unrefined Coconut oil (the smelly kind). Very soft hair :wub: ...very moisterized :wub: ....loosened up my napps a &#39;lil bit!! :P

I would do this once a week but I hate shampooing my hair. So maybe when it gets cold I&#39;ll try it more often.

Pookster05
09-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I&#39;m going to join this challenge b/c my hair is too dry! Maybe this is what I need! :)

HapENap
09-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Ooooooo weee, this is right on time cause I&#39;m bout to DC my hair right now, to get right for my birthday weekend!

AsheleyBG
09-21-2006, 08:26 PM
I DC my hair every Saturday :) My hair is loving me for it!

cimary
09-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I&#39;m in for the weekly challenge. My hair gets so DDDDDDRRRRY by the end of the day!

QuitaD
09-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Some one in the chat suggested I DC because my hair was/is dry. I havent DC/hot oil treated my hair since It was relaxed and even then I wasn&#39;t religious about it. Im gonna try to do this with you all though. How long is this once a week for.....how many weeks? Whatever it is, I&#39;m game.

Soulsista934
08-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Bumping. ^_^

I want to Dc my hair but I dont know what to use. I have a deep conditioning mask but I am still not sure how that works yet. I think I will try some conditioner and olive oil

celeste821
08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
This is funny, because I just posted something about deep conditioning. I deep condition once a week for 20 min with a plastic cap under a dome dryer.

LadyBug13
08-06-2007, 06:57 AM
I normally deep condition once a week. I don&#39;t use anything fancy. I either use Suave Humectant or Hello Hydration from Herbal Essences. Last week I used Hello Hydration and let it sit under a plastic shower cap covered with a towel for about 5 hours. Normally I don&#39;t DC that long, but I ended up taking a nap. I then rinsed the conditioner out, sectioned my hair and massaged rosemary oil, extra virgin olive oil, and castor oil mixture on my scalp. Then I made twists with aloe vera gel. My hair came out soft, shiny, and defined.

cnhpn2
08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
I normally deep condition once a week. I don&#39;t use anything fancy. I either use Suave Humectant or Hello Hydration from Herbal Essences. Last week I used Hello Hydration and let it sit under a plastic shower cap covered with a towel for about 5 hours. Normally I don&#39;t DC that long, but I ended up taking a nap. I then rinsed the conditioner out, sectioned my hair and massaged rosemary oil, extra virgin olive oil, and castor oil mixture on my scalp. Then I made twists with aloe vera gel. My hair came out soft, shiny, and defined.
[/b]

Sounds like a recipe for some luscious naps! I&#39;ll be trying this soon.

B_Phlyy
08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I try to DC at least twice a week. My hair loves it, and it keeps it in balance (between protein and moisture).

I always do it with a product specified for deep conditioning. I hardly mix it with anything, unless it it super thick and won&#39;t smooth through my hair.

I always use a heat cap too. I have a Gold N&#39; Hot one and I always set it on Medium. I usually sit for 15-30 minutes, depending on the product instructions.

MsTee
08-06-2007, 08:41 PM
I deep condition once per week. I alternate between two Aubrey Organics products: the GPB conditioner and the Island Naturals conditioner. I apply the conditioner before shampooing, and let it sit with under a conditioner cap for about 15-20 minutes. It makes my hair moisturized and easier to detangle.

Praise Hymn
12-24-2007, 12:44 AM
BUMP!!!!

Lawd knows I needed a DC bad!!!!! I&#39;m sitting in front of the computer right now with a Gladlock bag and a hair bonnet on my conditioner-saturated hair. Going to leave it until I finish washing my dishes and folding my clothes... that should work up some natural heat...

I used regular V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Moisturizing Conditioner... Taking a break from Pantene Relaxed & Natural... :offtop: Can a shampoo be made for relaxed AND natural hair? That doesn&#39;t make sense to me...

Wow, I just realized that its after 4am... where did the time go???

runrunrunner
12-24-2007, 10:14 AM
i love deep conditioning
i dc once or twice a week usually
depending on what i feel
and what i think my hair needs

usually, i leave my dc on for at least 2 hours
(but now no more than 4)
because i dont use heat.
i used to dc overnight
but since i started using kenra mc
i dont really need to do it that long.

i was mixing it w/ a conditioner called royal spa tri-protein conditioner and honey,
but i decided to try it alone
and i like it much better on it&#39;s own.

i just dc&#39;ed last night, actually.

PatientDykeNYC
12-27-2007, 04:34 AM
NAMASTE EVERYBODY!

i started this challenge about 1.5 months ago, when i was finally able to buy a replacement soft bonnet hair dryer - my hair isn&#39;t shedding as much as before and my hair is wonderfully soft :wub: - i picked up the habit from my mother who did this while i was growing up - i massage it into the bottom 3/4 of my hair, spritz with water until it is almost dripping wet and set the dryer on medium for 20-30 minutes - then spritz with more water and sit for 20 more minutes on high

I do it at least once a week or I will start to feel guilty. I sit under the hair dryer with a plastic cap so it absorbs in my hair. I am starting to feel lonely after reading this thread am I obsessive about my hair? YEP!
[/b] ditto

I&#39;m definitely in cos my hair is in need of some serious TLC, what conds are ppl using? :dunno:[/b] i&#39;m using organic root stimulator olive oil replenishing and every 5 weeks i&#39;ll use aveda&#39;s dphr

What kind of heating caps do you use??
I&#39;ve googled and I want the one that plugs in, it has three heat settings.
There is a Sally&#39;s Beauty Supply right down the street I hope they sell them. I going right away tomorrow morning to purchase one.
I will deep condition every Monday. I have the Ultra Black Hair Care Conditoner I bought a while back and did not even use yet.
I think I&#39;ll do an hour for my first treatment and aftewards to it 30min.
This is going to be fun!!!
Thanks Mase for reminding me to get a silk cap to buy also. I protect my ahir while I sleep as well.[/b]i use vidal sassoon&#39;s soft bonnet hair dryer because it has a warranty - i once bought a soft bonnet hair dryer at a small ranshackle bss because it was only 20 bucks - took it home and it didn&#39;t even work :Angry:

love,
PQG

curlycoilyfroily
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
<---- deep conditioning now with a moisture mask. We&#39;ll see how this one works. :)

msdiddyj
12-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Dag, I haven&#39;t done a dc since the 26th of March. I really liked how my hair after I did it. I guess I&#39;ve been supa lazy. I&#39;ll have to try it once I take my cornrows out in a week or two.
[/b]

this is so off-topic, but you and your hair are so pretty!!! LOL kbye

Hadasah
12-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Guess I&#39;ll join. I already conditioned my hair and twisted it so maybe in the next two weeks I&#39;ll DC for an hour.

miz jade
12-29-2007, 05:42 AM
I&#39;m in. I did a hot oil treatment with hot water and EVOO last week and didn&#39;t really notice anything. Maybe it&#39;s cuz I washed after the hot oit treatment. Yesterday i washed and conditioned as usual and rubbed castor oil in my damp hair and it feels great. Moisterized but not greasy. I needed something thick since I wore my fro, but now it&#39;s time to put it away for a while. Does it matter what oil you use? I&#39;ll try olive oil first though.

PatientDykeNYC
12-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Namaste, Everybody!

I&#39;m in. I did a hot oil treatment with hot water and EVOO last week and didn&#39;t really notice anything. Maybe it&#39;s cuz I washed after the hot oit treatment. Yesterday i washed and conditioned as usual and rubbed castor oil in my damp hair and it feels great. Moisterized but not greasy. I needed something thick since I wore my fro, but now it&#39;s time to put it away for a while. Does it matter what oil you use? I&#39;ll try olive oil first though.[/b]

a few examples of oils that condition are jojoba, evoo, coconut, castor and avocado (hemp oil has proteins). the "Homemade Hair Products" section can give you ideas for more conditioning oils. everybody&#39;s hair is different so perhaps you can sample different oils, make records of the results and examine which give you the results you want.

love,
PQG

natural06
12-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I&#39;m doing protective styles, so I will DC when I redo my braids.

iasade
12-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I do it weekly now and it has made a huge difference in how my hair responds. I love it!!

I do it weekly now and it has made a huge difference in how my hair responds. I love it!!

EmpressRi
12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
i love mixing up my own condishes but i don&#39;t do it as often as i should!!! im going to go back to doing a deep treatment everytime i wash my hair

BigHair77
12-29-2007, 07:31 PM
First off let me say HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Whatever you may celebrate: belated Hannukah, belated Eid, belated Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, and soon to be- Happy New Year!

---
I have a question that may have already been asked in this thread (sorry, i didn&#39;t scroll through all of the posts), but what is a recommendation for alternating deep conditioning with MOISTURE conditioners and PROTEIN conditioners? I tend to use moisture conditioners weekly b/c I&#39;m afraid of over-using protein, but i know that I could probably take in some protein every once in a while. What do some of you do?
Let me say that my hair sheds constantly...it did it when i wore it w/ a chemical fire cream and it does it now (been nat. almost 3 years). so i&#39;m used to finding hair balls on the floor. I used to be afriad that I&#39;d wake up bald headed, but it ain&#39;t happened yet :lol: Partially, i think my shedding is just something that my hair does, but i have noticed now that i&#39;m natural, that my strands start to tangle on each other which causes a lot of shedding when they knot up. So, i try to curb that with more moisture, but I&#39;m wondering do my strands also need more strength from protein? but if so, how often?

Perkisha
12-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Im in! Ive only been natural for ...less than a week, lol. But Ive already noticed that my scalp and hair is pretty dry. Ive made a littel mixture of H20, Olive oil, jojoba, castor and some essentials to spray before and after cowashing. Ive noticed a difference and my hair feels a little softer, but I feel like it could be even better, and my scalp is still itchy at the end of the day and my twa looks a little dry. Ive already decided to DC once a week after reading the boards. I have Garnier Fructis sleek and shine DC but I also plan to alternate this with conditioner and olive oil left on awhile with a conditioning cap. Maybe Ill do both things once a week :dunno: Hey It cant hurt, right?

Any other DC&#39;s recommended?

emayah
12-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Well I haven&#39;t read each post but, I try to deep condition with every wash. I usually use ORS Replenshing Pack mixed with olive oil and suave tropical coconut conditioner. This works good. Sometimes I use Amla Paste, but lately it made my hair feel kind of funny so I will chill out on that. I really need a conditioner with more moisture that protein. I have plenty of those type. I also need one that is all natural :wub:

atlcutey20
12-30-2007, 12:06 AM
i&#39;m in.

i&#39;ve been slacking on deep conditioning the last 2 weeks and i notice my hair has def suffered from lack of it.

i use Motions moisture plus conditoning.

it works great! :)

Soul Rebel
12-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Inspired by this thread I now have Rhassoul Deep Condish (Anita Grant) in my hair as we speak. Ion know why, but I haven&#39;t felt like my hair has needed much deep conditioning lately. I was all over it at the beginning of the year through the summer (alternating Rhassoul and Aphogee) but then I kinda fell off. :dunno: So it&#39;ll be interesting to see how my hair feels after this. If it feels superamazing like it used to, I&#39;ll have to climb back on doing something monthly.

- tania :afro:

hammie
12-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I DC every time I wash (about once a week). I used to do it as a pre-poo, lately I&#39;ve just bit the bullet and shampoo first, DC for several hours, then jump back in the shower to rinse out the conditioner (I get sea-sick if I wash my hair in the sink).

My basic moisturizing DC recipe:

*About a half-cup of cheap conditioner as a filler (32 oz. Suave Humectant was on sale at Target, so that&#39;s what I&#39;ve been using)
*A dollop of Phyto ultra-dry hair masque (that isht is expensive, but I&#39;ve been using the same 6.7 oz. jar for months now.)
*One or two tablespoons of honey
*One or two tablespoons of EVOO
*One or two tablespoons of molasses if I feel like tolerating a huge mess. Usually I don&#39;t.

For a light protein treatment (I don&#39;t use heavy ones, they scare me):
Same as above, plus:

* Huge dollop of ORS Hair Mayo (cause it&#39;s cheap and I can afford to use more)
OR
* Big dollop of Aveda Damage Remedy treatment
OR
*Big dollop of Aveda Cherry Almond Bark Treatment (I have a few tubes hoarded away, hehe)

Sometimes I warm it up, sometimes not. The heat from my big head and the long DC time usually warms it up anyway.

buffyd
12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
I&#39;m deep conditioning as we speak. It has been a while.

caramelaggie
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I am joining this challenge. Most of them I skip but I could definitely use this one especially since we are in the winter months.

sexyblu82
12-31-2007, 06:54 AM
I&#39;m in...I already DC with every wash. I usually mix together a few conditioners and some other good stuff. My recipe is:

A big spoonful of Elasta QP DPR-11
A big squirt each of Trader Joe&#39;s Nourish Spa and Elasta QP Deep Penetrating Conditioner
A little EVOO and sometimes some EO

My hair love it!

mymy
01-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I am joining this challenge too. I will dc every 1-2 weeks or as needed. I like to dc with either olive oil mixed with cholesterol or coconut oil mixed with elasta qp dpr-11, cover with a plastic cap and sit under a hood dryer for about 15-20 minutes. DC without heat doesn&#39;t do it for me.

crmycoco
01-01-2008, 01:39 PM
i&#39;ve been a bit neglectful on this end too.

2 days ago i did a henna. I thought i could get away with just adding honey, evoo and an ors pack to it, than using Robert Craig condish to cowash afterwards, than using Qhemet&#39;s Burdock root and honey balm in the my last steps. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! My hair, though not quite straw, wasn&#39;t too far from it.

So, yesterday I took one of those single pack condishes...Silk Elements Moisturizing Pack...mixed with some evoo, honey and grapeseed oil. Wrapped my head with some cling wrap, shower cap and beach towel for several hours. Jumped back in the shower to rinse off, and my hair felt like butter! Then i did an acv rinse, used Oyin Honey Hemp as my leave in and topped off with a little Vitamin E oil...and my hair was freaking amazing. So soft and curly. I plopped for a little while just to soak up the water. Applied a little CD Honey & Mimosa balm for shine, and dang if my hair didn&#39;t look smooth, shiny and soft.

2nd day hair is still smooth and moisturized.

I may not dc every week, but it is a MUST after every henna no matter what! ;)

LuaBonita
01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
bumping

i need more ideas for DCs

my ends are REALLY bad right now... i cant remember the last time i DCed

lil twa
01-07-2008, 09:49 AM
I am going to start doing a DC 2X per week

caramelaggie
01-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Does the Baggy method count as deep conditioning?

Soulsista934
07-13-2008, 03:55 AM
bump

PatientDykeNYC
07-13-2008, 04:59 AM
wow my last post was last year - i&#39;ve been doing this every 1.5 weeks or so and i&#39;ve noticed that my hair doesn&#39;t get as tangled as it did before so detangling is easier - Whoo Hoo!

LadyBug13
11-22-2008, 08:27 PM
I deep conditioned last week for the first time in who knows how long. I mixed EVOO and honey together, h.eated it, and applied it to my hair, wrapped it in a warm towel, and let it sit for a few hours.

mymy
11-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I haven&#39;t deep conditioned in over a month now. I haven&#39;t really felt the need to since I started using chagrin valley products, but I probably will do it soon anyway. I need to get back in the habit of pampering my hair whether it needs it or not.

amberdcox
11-22-2008, 10:56 PM
would a mixture of VO5 moisture milks (strawberry and cream), olive oil and honey slightly warmed up count as a deep conditioner?

mymy
11-23-2008, 12:48 AM
would a mixture of VO5 moisture milks (strawberry and cream), olive oil and honey slightly warmed up count as a deep conditioner?
[/b]
Yes, this should work just fine. Enjoy!

B_Phlyy
11-23-2008, 02:59 AM
Today is my normal wash day, so I will be deep conditioning tonight. Or maybe first thing in the morning, it&#39;s getting pretty late.

LadyBug13
11-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I&#39;m deep conditioning tonight for the 2nd time in two weeks. I&#39;m going to try to deep condition every two weeks to pamper my hair more since the weather&#39;s getting colder. My EVOO/honey mixture tonight seems a lot better than it was two weeks ago. It was easier to apply to my hair and my feel that my hair was well coated.

My hair has been softer since I&#39;ve incorporated deep conditioning, spritzing (peppermint and rosemary oils, Suave conditioner, water) and massaging my scalp with my coconut oil/olive oil/sulpher mixture into my routine. I&#39;m going to DC every other week, spritz lightly everyday, and massage my scalp with the mixture every other night.

Twixxy
11-29-2008, 02:32 AM
Well I have been Deep Conditioning my hair every week after washing because i colored my hair with Dark and Lovely on Oct 1, 2008. My hair seems be be thriving and since being enlightened of the benefits of Henna...I ordered some today and will be doing my first Henna application after I wash and deep condition my hair.

Soulsista934
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
bump

Debonaire
01-24-2009, 02:16 PM
I love this thread. I just started to wonder - is there a way to do a DC treatment without "wetting" your hair? I guess it would just be to oil the ends or a steam treatment with a light moisturizing product? I :icon_ShiftyEye: wonder.... :icon_thinkerg:

ldantel2
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Anyone know a good DC to do before putting in extensions? I want to try to make my hair as strong as possible to avoid alot of breakage from the kinky twists.

NewlyNappyNelle
02-13-2009, 10:43 PM
^ Anything deeply moisturizing and strengthening. With the kinky twists in, I would be sure to spray with some sort of reconstructor and water mix.

ldantel2
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
^ Anything deeply moisturizing and strengthening. With the kinky twists in, I would be sure to spray with some sort of reconstructor and water mix.
[/b]

Thanks so much for the info, right now I&#39;m using a braid spray but I think I&#39;ll be experimenting on making my own.

Samielle1
02-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I deep condioned like 2 days ago. my hairs in braids and it still felt dry(gave up on locs). I put everything in my kitchen in it, lol. avacadoes, honey, amla oil, olive oit, cocunut oil, eggs, etc. every moisturizing product i could think of. My supa dupa deep conish. Made my hair glossy and moist. Im going to try this once a week.

naturalkitten
02-18-2009, 05:08 AM
I was gonna do this at another forum, but then I heard your hair can be over-conditioned and become too soft, thus causing breakage. So that scared me off for a quick minute. I think once a week is good. I might try this myself, but I like to wear twists or box braids for a month. I&#39;m not sure it&#39;s good to deep condition protective styles. I don&#39;t want build up. Any suggestions?
[/b]

I wear my hair in boxbraids. I redo them every month and i deep condition weekly. what i do is mix some water with the dc and put it all over my braids. i squeeze it through my braids to make sure it all over. i make sure i rinse well and i squeeze my braids while the water is running over the sections. I"ve been doin it for months now and it has worked for me :D

NowIamnappy
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I deep condioned like 2 days ago. my hairs in braids and it still felt dry(gave up on locs). I put everything in my kitchen in it, lol. avacadoes, honey, amla oil, olive oit, cocunut oil, eggs, etc. every moisturizing product i could think of. My supa dupa deep conish. Made my hair glossy and moist. Im going to try this once a week.
[/b]

wait dont eggs add protein maybe thats why your hair was still dry.

I think I&#39;m going to deep condition twice a week. This NY winter is driving my scalp crazy, and the heat from the heaters is making my hair dry.

B_Phlyy
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Tonight is a DC session for me. I will be using some olive cholesterol spiked with honey because my hair has been feeling a little dry.

Blasto2x
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
I&#39;ve never DC&#39;d my hair before, and I&#39;ve been natural for 8 months. Is that bad?

Whitley Gilbert
02-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Last post Feb 2009....

:o

Umm BUMP??!!?

youwillrise
02-03-2010, 05:40 AM
lol

i'm a deep conditioning junkie.

((sigh))

mymy
02-03-2010, 10:18 AM
I recently challenged myself to do monthly deep conditions and so far so good. Before that I would go 4 or more months without doing one. My hair didn't feel bad before, but it feels better now when I dc regularly.

shantybu
02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I deep condtioned last night using Avacado, coconut cream and olive oil...nice, BUT i still have bits of coconut in my hair and still trying to shake it out! :-S! I usually deep condition with ORS Replenishing deep conditioner and apply jojoba and peppermint oil to my scalp. I then put a plastic bag on my head and apply heat for about 2 mins, but a scarf/stocking on my head and leave for 2-4 hours.

Hair feeling like butter is not the word, not to mention my scalp feeling fresh.

P.S- How do i start a thread???

Cerendipity
03-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Bumping. For those in the challenge. I'm giving away a deep conditioning cap via my blog. Please check the link in my siggy.

The end date is April 15

naturalchic352
03-27-2010, 04:32 AM
How much deep conditioning is enough? Should I do weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly treatments? What works for you ladies?

atdow71
03-27-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm going to join this challenge. My locs are dry from dying and crappy cold weather. I want to do this every week w/ conditioner, evoo and perhaps some honey. I hope it makes my locs ook ultra shiny.

chocolynne
03-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I need to do this too. Let's see what I can rustle up for today's treatment...

mymy
03-28-2010, 12:00 AM
How much deep conditioning is enough? Should I do weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly treatments? What works for you ladies?
I do it once a month and like the results, but it depends on your hair. Start DCing when its convenient for you. If you need to do it more or less often, make changes from there.

afroknots11412
03-28-2010, 03:14 AM
since I'm in box braids I do it once a month. but before that I was doing it once a week.

chocolynne
03-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Well I did it! And I am seriously LOVING the results!!! I changed my whole hair-care regimen starting last night and I got my hair done in record time - even with the hour of DC. My hair was so compliant and so grateful to get that moisture that it just did everything I asked with no resistance. I've never ever seen these 4a-c coils behave so.

I used a bit of henna (for the roots - not much though), coconut creme/oil, teatree oil (perpetual hairlice outbreaks at my kids' schools), and a few drops of lemon juice. My hair smelled amazing - much better than anything with fragrance I could've purchased. (Seriously rivaled those overpriced LUSH products which is where I got the idea of a pre-conditioner with a small amount of henna.) Then I just covered with a plastic cap and a towel on top of that. I've got 3 little boys so I don't have time to let it sit long but I did carve out an hour for it.

After that, I just washed with baking soda and rinsed with ACV. That's it! Detangled with shae butter and then styled with jojoba oil. I have NEVER felt my hair so soft and easy to work through. I'll be doing this every week. Yes, it's a big change for me because I'd been letting my hair go too long in between washings as I put myself lowest on my list of priorities... and my mane suffered for it. No longer. I'm going to start washing and conditioning every week maybe with a weekly DC until I get my hair back up to prime condition. Seriously, it'd been like 5 years since I'd treated my hair properly.

atdow71
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I did a DC yesterday using costco brand Kirkland conditioner. My hair feels so soft. I left it in my hair for about 2hrs w/ a plastic shower cap. I can't wait till next Sunday to do it again but I'm going to also do an acv rinse.

naturalchic352
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
I DC'd yesterday w/Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie I left it on for about an hour w/a plastic cap and it left my hair sooo soft and manageable...I'm happy :)

chocolynne
04-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I skipped this week. Since I'm now washing my hair on a weekly basis (soooo much better than my past habits that could go a month or longer,) I'm going to DC every other week. I believe there may be such a thing as "too much of a good thing." Please correct me if I'm wrong.

LadyBug13
04-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I deep conditioned for the first time in while on Friday, using a mixture of warm jojoba and castor oils. I left it in for an hour before rinsing.

chocolynne
04-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm going to DC tomorrow. I've decided to wash my hair 2x per week to up my game. My hair deserves all this attention after years of neglect. :) I haven't decided what I'm going to use for the DC yet though. I might try a commercial product for a change.

chocolynne
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Follow up: I used random Dutch commercial product for a DC. Yuck! Consider it thrown away. I don't hesitate for a moment to throw stuff in the garbage these days. I was so happy to rinse ACV afterwards and close up that cuticle.

Embarassingly: I also tried to brush since everyone else was brushing. I saw lots of little snapped off ends at the bottom of the shower from just the 1/4 of my head that I tried to brush. That's the last time I jump on the bandwagon for that. I'll just stick with my fingers, thankyouverymuch.

Cerendipity
04-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Bumping. For those in the challenge. I'm giving away a deep conditioning cap via my blog. Please check the link in my siggy.

The end date is April 15

Bumping, the giveaway will run until next thursday!!!

http://cerendipitystheone.blogspot.com/2010/03/deep-conditioning-cap-giveaway.html

gld2Bme
04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Count me in...just hold me accountable, lol.

xotica
04-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I think I'm gonna join this...I don't think I've DC since I bc'd...terrible. I'm such a lazy napptural, I just want my hair to do itself [just saying].

Liberiangal
04-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Lol okay i NEED to join this! I just came out of having 3 months of senegalese twists and i washed/conditioned, but NEVER DC'd (didnt want to deal with too much buildup)..now that i have my hair back again (thank GOODNESS i missed it so lol)..i need to get back to weekly DC's. Alternating protein and moisture DC's seemed to work for me so im gonna go back to that.

chocolynne
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
My kids have chickenpox so I never got around to writing down that I did still manage to DC on Saturday night - after I'd been trying since Friday night & all day Saturday. Nevertheless, I managed a nice combo of mixing in 2 avocados with my henna concoction. I couldn't find my coconut cream and somebody had eaten all the bananas but it still turned out quite nice.

Next week, I'm going to try for some coconut, yogurt type blend

Cerendipity
04-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Bumping, the giveaway will run until next thursday!!!

http://cerendipitystheone.blogspot.com/2010/03/deep-conditioning-cap-giveaway.html

two more days!!!!

Denny
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
I joined this challenge two weeks ago, and since I coloured my hair last Thursday going to make it a bi weekly event, so far the locs are feeling soft and moist, will DC again tonight. After second shampoo been using warm EVOO, a plastic bag and sitting under the dryer on a low setting for 30mins then washing it out.

chocolynne
04-18-2010, 02:02 PM
I DC'd with coconut cream, cocut oil and yogurt. Ended up leaving it on for 2 hours as I waited for the husband to come home so he could watch the kids while I was in the shower. I ended up with soft, well-conditioned, happy hair that was easily detangled. But these days, my hair is almost always easy to detangle... since I've learned HOW to properly detangle it. :D

east_african_princess
04-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm gonna join this, my hair needs it!

monappy28
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm in! I DC 1-2 times month. It works for my hair, she loves it!

FallBeauty
04-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I will join this awesome challenge as well. It'll be great for me to do especially when I am transitoning.

chocolynne
04-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Another Saturday night, another DC. This time it was something I bought from LUSH, the hair mask with the Chinese name. It was way too expensive -takes me at least 1/2 a jar for all of my hair - but I wanted to try it to see if it's something I can try to concoct at home in my kitchen. I left it on for 45 minutes and the results are good but the results aren't really any better than anything natural I can come up with at home; it smelled great though. I think I'm going to work on getting better aromas into my own DC concoctions.

I love how NP has ruined my LUSH addiction. Now I use their stuff and think "aaah it's okay but I could do better myself with an avocado, a banana, some shea butter, a cup cup of yogurt, a pack of coconut cream, etc..." ;)

DaBlackLady
05-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Wow, I'm so joining this thread! I was just thinking to myself about just how dry my hair felt after taking out some box braid extensions, but I didn't DC like I should've (thank goodness the conditioner I used is also a humectant). However, I want to get back into the habit of DCing and doing protein treatments.

I really need to put my challenges in my siggy so I don't forget them (Thanks FallBeauty :) )

LadyBug13
05-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I DC'ed this afternoon with V05 conditioner, EVOO, and peppermint oil for about 2 hours (I fell asleep, lol) before rinsing and proceeding with my shampoo/conditioner).

ebonydiva82
05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
I did the hour long dc with vo5 and olive oil. I may have added too much oo b/c it was dripping down the back of my neck and the side of my face, which I didn't notice until I touched my head. how much oo is feasible? oil on my face breaks me out big time and I certainly broke out big time.

TDC1978
05-20-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm in. I need to start deep conditioning more often.

xotica
05-20-2010, 06:47 AM
I've been slacking so badly with this challenge. I've been co rinsing & that's it. Gotta do a DC this weekend!

chocolynne
05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm still going strong with this challenge. I haven't missed a week since I started. The results are obvious as my ends have pretty much ceased popping off. Hooray!

beebee06
05-22-2010, 11:26 AM
as long as i have been natural you would think that i would have this thing down already lol
nope!
after wearing braids for a month, i took them down washed and conditioned and have been braiding it up at night with hair butter and rocking a puff pretty much everyday.

well i noticed that my hair although i put hair butter on every night was extremely dry and the ends kept coming out with the slightest touch.

needless to say after some research yesterday i went and bought some hair mayonaise and deep conditioned with some added oil and woke up today with soft supple beautiful napps. hopefully i can now call this a lesson learned!!! lol

Soul Rebel
05-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm horrific at following challenges, but as the weather starts to heat up in Cali, I need to start deep conditioning more. I'm about to go rinse out a condish I've had on for a couple of hours of Aubrey Honeysuckle amped up with Molasses and an herbal hair tincture I make. Hopefully I can get myself to deep condition once every couple of weeks.

I also use AG's Rhassoul condish (I need some more) but what I really need is to find a really good, deep hydrating (not oily like Cholesterol) conditioner. Any recos are appreciated.

Fronomenal
07-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I dc'd with an avocado, coconut milk, honey and castor oil. My hair felt sooo soft and moisturized! I must admit I didn't believe in it when I first went natural but I now do. I have to keep this up. Haha