PDA

View Full Version : Is there a safe way to press hair?

curlyhoo
11-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Don't get me wrong here, I love my natural locks, wouldn't trade them for the world as a matter of fact, but I know that I also like to wear varying styles, some of which include straight hair. I've heard that excessive heat is not good for the hair, but does anybody know a safe way to press/straighten hair? Especially now that it's getting colder this might have to be more of an option for me because going outside with wet hair is not wise. Just let me know... Thanks.

Inspired
11-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Curlyhoo, You're right.

Excessive heat is not good for the hair so there is no safe way to press/or straighten.

Whenever you press, you're running the risk of damage.

Inspired
11-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Oh BTW,

Since it's colder, the hair will be drier. Pressing it will add to the misery.

Do a search on the site. There's alot of stuff on pressing.

Tasha806
11-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I agree that direct heat can be very damaging to the hair. But have you considered a roller set?? I do this sometimes to achieve a straight style. You can use rods, straws etc. to acheive different types of curls. Since the hood dryer is not direct heat it's not damaging to the hair, just make sure that you use a moisturizer or leave-in conditioner along with a setting lotion. I plan to do this style more often because it's cold outside and I too am tired of dealing with damp hair everyday.
HTH

curlyhoo
11-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Tasha, do you have to do anything special when you do this? I've never really set my hair before, so I'm a bit clueless when it comes to that. :doh Would I comb out my hair first, or just roll it after I shampoo it? Any tips you can give are appreciated. Thanks. CH

rkj223
11-26-2003, 07:01 AM
What I do is....

Wash it (if you're washing...)
slap some conditioner on it. let it sit for 20 mins.
Rinse that out.

I honestly stand in the shower and just let water run on my hair for the longest time and just use a little bit of shampoo to get rid of buildup...
I'm sooooo glad I don't have to pay a water bill because I'd have to get another job.

So after the conditioner is out and you've let some of that good ol' water soak up in your hair...towel pat it down. Section it off and start rolling. I tried adding a little pomade to each strand that I was putting on the roller. I didn't sit under the dryer...I just let it dry over night. It feels great. This worked well with two strand twists too.
I would really suggest detangling in the shower. It makes everything so much easier.
Also, have a spray bottle on hand to keep your hair moist while rolling it.
Hope this helps some

deecoily
11-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by curlyhoo@Nov 26 2003, 02:10 AM
Don't get me wrong here, I love my natural locks, wouldn't trade them for the world as a matter of fact, but I know that I also like to wear varying styles, some of which include straight hair. I've heard that excessive heat is not good for the hair, but does anybody know a safe way to press/straighten hair? Especially now that it's getting colder this might have to be more of an option for me because going outside with wet hair is not wise. Just let me know... Thanks.
Say no to excessive heat. There is never anything safe about a running a 200+° metal comb through your hair. No matter how much or what type of grease you use.

It's always a risk so I won't do it.

I much stretch my hair out when it's wet and tie it back with a scarf until it dries. Body heat does just fine. Even twisting/braiding will stretch your hair out very well without the damage heat causes. You can even wrap and set your hair much like you did when it was relaxed. It takes longer to dry but the result is smooth. Of course it will go home :) if it gets wet, so you will need to use a strong wax to hold the style as long as possible.

~Dee~

Tasha806
11-26-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by curlyhoo@Nov 25 2003, 04:31 PM
Tasha, do you have to do anything special when you do this? I've never really set my hair before, so I'm a bit clueless when it comes to that. :doh Would I comb out my hair first, or just roll it after I shampoo it? Any tips you can give are appreciated. Thanks. CH
I usually shampoo and condition my hair first. I don't really towel dry because the wetter the hair the better the set. I apply a little kemi-oyl to my wet hair, and then i apply my IC Fantasia Styling foam. I part it into sections depending on what type of style i want it in. I then wrap the hair around the rollers etc. making sure not to put too much hair on each roller. After i'm done I sit under my hooded dryer for about 30 minutes or so on medium setting. To check for dryness i take down one roller from the back of my hair and feel the curl and see if dry. If dry i kind of feel around the rest of my rollers and see if they feel dry as well,
if so then i come from under the dryer and let my hair stand in the rollers for about a minute or so to cool down then i remove them and style as usual. As someone else mentioned you can also set your hair and let it air dry if you don't want to use any heat. Like Dee said you can braid, twist, roll or set the hair anyway you like to stretch it out and it's healthier than pressing!
HTH

ETA: You may want to keep a spray bottle handy with water in it or even with water and setting lotion mixed together when rolling to keep the hair as wet as possible at all times!

deedabug
11-28-2003, 04:53 AM
i dont like pressing just because i get to hot doing it and it sucks period to me...but the last time i pressed mine in transition...i used black n sassy heat activated hot sheen...and a electric pressing comb...i am not good with the kind you put on the stove eye...i have burnt my hair out to much like that back in the day...and that ''pressing grease'' didn't help...with that electric comb you can choose a low setting and with the black n sassy product it will still get it str8 for ya real good.

bighair20
11-28-2003, 05:20 AM
I Myself do not press... Will most likely never press. I fear the direct heat would just sizzle my lil curly (napptural) hair away.

I recommend you try these other method's the ladies have posted ( especially Dee's,Tasha806 ). I'm taking notes on those two. But, I encourage you to try other way's of straightening your hair. I'd hate for you to have a bad experience from the heat of the pressing comb.

~~ abdul mughni~~

napturallyme
11-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Large twists and braids will stretch the hair out for you. I've been doing large twists and wearing them in a twistout. I also have seen people braid and twist and then take them down and flat iron with a ceramic flat iron. If you are going to use heat makes sure you use a pomade on it. I suggest Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade. I have not used heat on my hair, but I may try the flat iron from large twists. But, I agree with the others there is no "safe" way to straighten the hair with heat, just less damaging ways.

Keepitnatural
11-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Ladies when you rollerset your hair what type of rollers are you using to set the hair.

Tasha806
11-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Keepitnatural@Nov 28 2003, 04:32 PM
Ladies when you rollerset your hair what type of rollers are you using to set the hair.
So far i've only used the magnetic rollers and the ones that you have to use the pins with. But you can use any type of roller you like. You can also use straws for smaller tight curls, i have not tried this yet but plan to soon.
HTH

Keepitnatural
11-30-2003, 11:30 PM
@Tasha806 Thank you

NappGirlCurl
11-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Depending on how patient you are, you can rollerset your hair and get it "straight".

I have used bouncy creme and Carol's Daughter's Healthy Hair Butter when I roller set once and my set came out kinda nice.

caramyg
12-01-2003, 12:17 AM
I have pressed my hair several times within the last three and a half years of being natural. I wash, condition, and add enough olive oil to coat the hair. I then braid it in big braids - about 7 or 8. I do this in the evening before pressing so I sleep with a bonnet on my head. By morning, it is usually dry. I use a pressing comb oven and an old fashioned pressing comb, and I take the braids down and press small amounts of hair one at a time. My hair is very kinky and spongy and the goal is not to get synthetic straight hair, but to have it manageable enough to wear it back in a ponytail if I choose to do so. I do it to break up the monotony. My hair length is a good 11" and very healthy.

During this time of the year, the press lasts longer and saves me a lot of styling time in the morning. Currently, I am wearing synthetic braids that are corn rowed into a french twist in the back. I pressed my hair before the braider got to it because I knew she'd probably comb in all out just trying to corn row it. My hair tends to knot up at the ends so pressing it saved her some time and me some hair.

If your hair is thin, ends are split, or you have damaged hair, I probably wouldn't press it, but generally I don't see the problem with it if you have a head of healthy hair. Certainly frequent pressing will damage it--say every week, but once in a blue moon, such as 4 or 5 times a year is not a problem IMHO.

honeydipp
12-01-2003, 04:38 AM
A couple of questions
Sorry if this is redundant but I havent really figured this out yet

1. How long does your hair need to be for this to work
2. Will plastic pink or red ones (like the use in the salon work) the big to medium size

I am not really worried about getting it super straight I just want a pony tail or a bun....Its cold in michigan and its exam time
I noticed that my hair does stretch as much with a braid out and with twist my hair will be so crimpy that it shrivels back up....
I normally have to blow dry my nearly .....dry hair but I never blow dry it for more than a couple of minutes so its still poofy

I want to try a roller set I have 5-7 inches of hair... Anything you could suggest would help
:offtopic How do you guys measure your hair?

Thanks for all the wonderful help :rainfro

Tasha806
12-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Keepitnatural@Nov 30 2003, 05:30 PM
@Tasha806 Thank you
You're Welcome!

Jadestar
12-02-2003, 12:42 AM
I've tried to press & blow dry my hair once & it didn't work. What I do now is ponytails. Leaving my hair in a pony tail usually stretches out my hair strand & I get a straight look. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but it has worked out fine for me. I simply wash/condition my hair. Towel dry my hair & Add some jojoba oil or kemi oyl to my scalp, add some gel for the hair line & the back & brush it all into a pony tail. My ends usually curl up if it's left out, so I would add a roller to the end of the ponytail. I usually leave the ponytail in for a day. When I take the pony tail out, I comb through my hair & style it & it usually comes out straight enough to style down. The ends usually don't come out as straight as the rest of the hair, but it works out fine for me & I don't have to use any heat to achieve it.

eripmaven
12-09-2003, 01:09 AM
what about steam straightening?I heard they do this in some salons,but i dont know anything about it....

NappyPrncess
12-09-2003, 03:58 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with pressing your hair in moderation. My roomate last year had 4a naturual hair down her back. She faithfully got bi-weekly presses, and throughout the week she would put her hair in a wrap at night, so that her press would last, and just comb it out in the morning, and it would be straight. I never saw her hair breaking off. It remained long.

happidaz
12-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by curlyhoo@Nov 25 2003, 03:10 PM
Looks like no one is advocating the press and curl...Personally, I dont mind pressing my hair 2-3 times a year. I usually let my aunt, who used to press my hair when I was a kid, do it, or I go to a beauty salon. The only problem is that stylist use so many different techniques, some use the latest oils, others don't, some make it really soft, others leave your hair smelling like hot grease. Just ask around for stylist near you. I went to this Dominican in Brooklyn a year ago, and my hair was never so straight and it lasted 2 weeks, even through the snow, yet this lady I went 2 months ago looked great when I left the salon, but it only lasted 2-3 days--not worth it. If you've never done it, I would not tell you to do it yourself. It is very easy to burn your hair right off your head. Good luck, and dont feel bad bc you want to wear your in straight styles occasionally. Its your hair, and it doesnt make you any less of a nappy in my book...

sugarNfeist
12-14-2003, 12:43 AM
I have a ceramic steam flat iron made by Vidal Sasson. It worked okay. It didn't get very hot and my hair didnt have any damage afterwards. I used it on steam mode so perhaps the moisture helpe I don't know. But I decided to try it out of curiosity. Thats the only thing I could recommend.

curlyhoo
12-14-2003, 04:05 AM
What exactly is a ceramic steam iron? How do they work? Also, does anybody know what an Egyptian air brush is? My sister in law wanted me to get one of these and I'm assuming that it straightens hair because she seems to prefer straight hair to curls. :rolleyes I'm going to try rolling my hair and see what that does as soon as I get a "real" hair dryer.

wildandkinky
12-14-2003, 05:39 PM
If you just want a smooth bun, why press the hair. You can just braid or band and then blowdry, it will look just as smooth when pulled in a bun and with less damage.