PDA

View Full Version : Farm Raised Fish....

dembasamba
02-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Can someone elaborate on this for me? I eat Salmon at least once a week for health, speed/ease of preparation, plus I love it. I saw a report on the news stating that farm raised = confined, unsanitary etc, and that "free range" salmon (scottish) was probably the best in terms of health, and definately taste. This of course, stuck out to me as I am always trying to eat better and better, even though I do backslide now and then. When I went to Wegmans the Scottish salmon was $18.99 per pound

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Although, I did just spend roughly $18 on Eucelence via mail order :wink: I just :roll: and got my usual-- farm raised at $6.99/llb.

Is farm raised for the better good in terms of health benefits, OR it is one of those "compassionate eating" issues and not a health issue at all, OR was this some BS news story bankrolled by Scottish salmon sellers???????

MsAfrodite
02-16-2003, 01:36 AM
[b]I personally don't have a clue :roll: Dembasambaknow, but my Dad is a true fisherman and has been all of his life. I'll ask him and see what he has to say about it.
MsAfrodite

KristiK
02-16-2003, 04:28 AM
I fish a lot and farm-raised fish are not "free" like river(sea, ocean) fish. They are usually fed an unnatural crap diet to make them fat and 'meaty', they are crammed in their living space. But the river fish will taste very different, more 'wild'. Its like eating eggs from a market and eggs fresh out the hen, they taste different. And of course they are USUALLY healthier. But with the farm-raised you don't have to deal with the "bone" factor as much, for some reason the 'river' fish are FULL of bones, but the meat 'to me' is delicate and fresh. But I've never eaten salmon so, I'd guess you have to compare for yourself. I hope this helps.

ollypitts2
02-16-2003, 04:31 AM
Canned salmon is not usually farm raised and its infinitely less expensive than the fresh stuff. Look for cans of the Alaskan type. I've purchased it and liked it very much. The bones are kind of annoying but I just eat carefully.

I've been casually following the diet suggested by Nicholas Perricone and he recommend wild fish because it is more nutritious. Take a look at his book for a more thorough discussion of wild vs. farm raised salmon issue. Its called the Perricone Prescription. He's also on PBS sometimes.

Schiffon
02-18-2003, 01:09 AM
Last year, in one of the NY papers, I think it was the Wall Street Journal, there was an article that reaffirmed what I had already heard: some of the farm raised salmon is genetically engineered. Depending upon what you consider the least of all the evils you might want to take this into consideration.