PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the hairline?

splendidlox
11-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Okay y'all, every since my locs reached a length were they could be pulled back off of my 5-head I realized that my hairline is not as perfect as I thought it should be - naturally :-?

Am I the only one who sometimes feel the need to line my hair in the front? I also do it in the back - not that you can see it. But I like to tighten the kitchen up as well.

My only problem is I feel like I should be looking at one of those posters in the barbershop where they have the various 'lined styles' for the men to determine how you want your hairline to go.

For those that do line their hair - what's your method to the madness? I try not to have any 'sharp lines and corners' (if you know what i mean :huh ) and keep a smooth almost unnoticeable line around my head. My main purpose is to just clean the 'line' up not necessarily to style it.

Any comments? suggestions? ;-)

ByHis Grace
11-27-2003, 04:39 PM
No , I do not "line" any hair lines. my natural hairlines are fine with me.. aunatural

I work at being as "low maintenance"' as possible and still manage to be beautiful in the process : )

IrisDaVirus
11-27-2003, 04:47 PM
This may sound a little odd, but I trim my hairline in certain areas. I have three spots where the hair just sticks straight up - regardless of what I do to make the spots lie down. They are right in the center and at each temple. The hair just sticks up like I have three big horns! I just use my trimming scissors and cut them down. I'm usually OK from that point. I do this little ritual about twice a year.

Sheinthespirit
11-28-2003, 10:50 PM
I sometimes do the nape of the neck and sides. No biggie, just use a straight edge razor. It looks neater to me. there is no reason hair needs to be growing from my neck to my ear. I take it off!

ReddyLoques
11-28-2003, 11:28 PM
My hair grows all krazy down the back of my neck and around my ears.. I went to my old shop (from when i wuz a permie) to get a neck lineup... Dude looks at me and says DAMN BOO !! U need a lineup.. Now i'm gettin a lil nervous cuz he's loud, and errybody in the shop is lookin at me sidewayz because i'm the only natural head in the salon.. Folks start comming around his chair asking him what he's goinna do to "them thangs"meaning my locks .. He's like I'm just giving her a line up, there's nothing else i can do with that.

I thought errythang wuz kool till he got loud again and said "I'm finna get them Kuntas out the back of your head gyrl" and he started laffin.. I wuz tooooo emberassed that he reffered to my napps as kuntas.. Anyway he gets the razor out n goes to town trying to eliminate any trace of loose knapps.. totally ruined my natural hairline by chopping in too high (not understanding that its supposed to be there)..

I just wanted a lil shape and a line across the back.. dude went buckwild and ended up shaving off the support/roots of my locks in the back.. Them fellas wuz barely hanging on by a thread.. I had to combine a few of em to keep em..

6 months later the hair is growin back pretty good and i've got a thicket of hair on the right and left side of my neck, that needs to grow out another inch or so, then i can wrapp it up into a lock in the back..

Lesson learned.. be specific as hellz when requesting a lineup.. cuz I had someone else to do it to repair/disguise the damage when it wuz first growing back, n he didn't have a problem at all.. I really like the look of a neatly lined neck and sideburns, especially for up-do's and ponytails.. but I won't sacrifice my locks to get that look.

jetcitygirl
11-28-2003, 11:41 PM
I don't line it up, but I do trim the hair at my nape sometimes. I have these patches of baby hair on the back of my neck that get a little too long sometimes, so I just cut them down with scissors to about 1/4 inch.

natural_butterfly4
11-28-2003, 11:50 PM
I'm wearing a twa so i will keep my hair lined. When my hair grows longer and I wear my hair is up-styles I will line as well. I like the clean neck look.

LuvJones
11-29-2003, 01:46 AM
I have a not so TWA and I line around the nape and around my ears...as I live in japan there are no US barber shops so I'm scared each time I do this. I only line the front if it's looking particularly bad which has only been 2x since Feb.

LJ

splendidlox
11-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Sheinthespirit@Nov 28 2003, 04:50 PM
I sometimes do the nape of the neck and sides. No biggie, just use a straight edge razor. It looks neater to me. there is no reason hair needs to be growing from my neck to my ear. I take it off!
LOL :-cre

Jina
11-29-2003, 05:20 PM
I normally get a trim around the nape of my neck every two weeks. However, a lining in the front just looks too masculine on me. Both may work for you. Just try some things out and see what works best FOR YOU. :)

bighair20
11-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Sheinthespirit@Nov 28 2003, 04:50 PM
Humm... i've alway's wondered why some women do this. A friend of mine has been doing this since she was 16, she's 24 now. I guess it does look neater to her.

samantha
12-03-2003, 02:27 PM
I have a twa so I keep the nape lined up and I personally never line the front up. It looks to masculine/hard on me.

Jewells
12-03-2003, 02:35 PM
I keep my nape lined. I can't have hair growing all down my neck.

BlakReign
12-03-2003, 02:43 PM
I have to keep the back lined up. I made the mistake of doing the front once. It took too long for it to catch up with the rest of my hair so never again.

Dolliesdaughter
12-03-2003, 03:05 PM
When I wore a fade I did get my hair lined up. The barber that I used, did woman and men and he knew how to do it so I didn't look so butchy.

blestnaps
12-03-2003, 03:11 PM
After I did the big chop I went to the hair dresser to get it cut and shaped up...she got out the clippers and lined...I hated it...it is finally growing in and showing my natural hairline...I like that better..As a permie I had my natural line...

laticca8
12-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle075@Nov 29 2003, 05:20 PM
I normally get a trim around the nape of my neck every two weeks. However, a lining in the front just looks too masculine on me. Both may work for you. Just try some things out and see what works best FOR YOU. :)
The two times that I went to a barber (once for the Big Chop and 3 months later from a trim) I got a line at the nape! I agree that anything more would look to masculine just as the barbers suggested. I'm debating on whether to let my hubby line me up once more. I try to clip my own ends though. ;-)

skegee94
12-03-2003, 10:00 PM
My hairline is extremely crooked. That's one of the main reasons why I started growing out my hair. If my hairline was naturally neater, I would probably still have a twa. But the last time I got it cut really low at the barber, I could not believe how crooked it was! Now, with more height to my hair, it's camouflaged. No, I never got it lined up when I had a twa. I felt it might look too masculine.

kizzie
12-03-2003, 11:55 PM
I have the nape of my neck done and my sides near my ears. I have worried about doing the front tho' let us know how yours turns out if you decide to do it.