PDA

View Full Version : Boondocks anyone?

Amarige
11-28-2003, 06:11 PM
I have recently started reading the Boondocks (yeah I know I've been sleeping)--I love it!! I find the strips timely and HYSTERICAL. I know its a comic strip but a new collection of the strips just recently came out in book format. Anyone else reading Aaron McGruder's creation? Tell me your favorite one.

kianga
11-28-2003, 06:46 PM
My favorite is the one after Sept. 11 where Ceaser shows Huey the newspaper that says that Black people are the third most hated ethnic group. Then they start chanting, "We're number three!! We're number three!!"

afrogeek
11-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Guys,

If you go My comic page (http://www.ucomics.com), you can get boondocks delivered to your inbox everyday. :-)

jazzypom
11-29-2003, 02:53 PM
huge fan of the boondocks. i discovered it when i was living in jamaica and it first got syndicated, but then loads of people wrote letters condemning the strip and it was withdrawn.

pity.

but i do read it online, and am planning to get one or two books delivered from the states. you can't access much american comics over here.

regards

jp

honeychild
11-30-2003, 09:19 AM
aaron mcgruder for president!!!!!!!

:)

Sister1
11-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Nov 30 2003, 01:19 AM

Dig it! I love the most recent strips re: finding Condoleeza Rice a husband. I think he has his finger on the political pulse and I really love him for that. We have all of his books with his strips. Ya never know, if Ashcrap (oh, I mean Ashcroft) :-cre keeps up with his assaults on our remaining "rights" political strips such as Magruder's may literally disappear.

Fauryn78
11-30-2003, 08:16 PM
I second the nomination of Mr. McGruder for president!!!
I love the Boondocks! I also have all three books. I have so many favorites it's hard to name one...

The most embarassing black people of the year awards were mad funny...

And yes, the whole "finding Condi a man thing" has been hilarious!!

I am anxiously awaiting the annimated series.

****FREE JOLLY JENKINS!!!**** :thumbsup

JustAnAngel
11-30-2003, 08:58 PM
I absolutely LOVE Aaron McGruder!!! I had the opportunity to meet him a few years ago, and i love his books also... I'm currently on the second one and I'd recommend it to anyone... This brotha is AWESOME!

Amarige
11-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Fauryn78@Nov 30 2003, 04:16 PM
:lol :lol

QueenLocks
12-02-2003, 10:39 PM
I bought one of his books! I like it. Some are upset that Aaron doesn't have any black girl or Latinos in his cartoon, I still say it's a good start!

Jessy55
12-03-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by honeychild@Nov 30 2003, 09:19 AM

For Real! I have been waiting a long time for someone like that to come along. He is one of the most insightful and brilliant people I know, and I can't believe he is young yet so wise about the political game. If he runs, I'll vote for him.

BlkButterflye
12-04-2003, 01:42 AM
gotta love the strips with condi rice.....funny azz hayell....

kurliehead
12-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Fauryn78@Nov 30 2003, 02:16 PM
I second the nomination of Mr. McGruder for president!!!
I love the Boondocks! I also have all three books. I have so many favorites it's hard to name one...

The most embarassing black people of the year awards were mad funny...

And yes, the whole "finding Condi a man thing" has been hilarious!!

I am anxiously awaiting the annimated series.

ITA...and I can't believe he brought Bishop Majic Don Juan into the script. Hilarious.

JustAnAngel
12-05-2003, 08:01 PM
ITA...and I can't believe he brought Bishop Majic Don Juan into the script. Hilarious.

Yeah!!! I like it when huey's brother asks Don Juan about loving the girl and he says "you ain't supposed to be loving 'em son." and he yells, THATS HIM!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

too funny!!!!

Ananse
12-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jazzypom@Nov 29 2003, 02:53 PM
huge fan of the boondocks. i discovered it when i was living in jamaica and it first got syndicated, but then loads of people wrote letters condemning the strip and it was withdrawn.

pity.

but i do read it online, and am planning to get one or two books delivered from the states. you can't access much american comics over here.

regards

jp
Jp,

You can get them from Amazon in the UK. I bought "A right to be hostile" and "Because I know you don't read the newspapers". I would recommend you get "A right to be hostile" as it also contains all the strips from "Because I know you don't read the newspapers".

I loved the part where Ward Conerly(sp??) answers the advert the boys had placed for Condi. In it he enquires about the race of the lady in question. When the boys wouldn't say, he let's it be known that if the lady in question is African-American, that napptural hair gives him hives :doh :doh

By the way, is Bishop Magic Don Juan a real person???

Ananse

NikNak
12-11-2003, 06:24 PM
I've always said if I ever meet Aaron McGruder, I'm gonna make him my hubby. Anyway, Boondocks is always funny and cutting edge. I love Aaron's dry wit. I've been reading the strips for a long time. I even look forward to seeing him on Real Time with Bill Maher from time to time. He and DL Hughley are always on point with their political views on that show.

allnaturalgirl
12-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by NikNak@Dec 11 2003, 01:24 PM
I've always said if I ever meet Aaron McGruder, I'm gonna make him my hubby. Anyway, Boondocks is always funny and cutting edge. I love Aaron's dry wit. I've been reading the strips for a long time. I even look forward to seeing him on Real Time with Bill Maher from time to time. He and DL Hughley are always on point with their political views on that show.
I love Boondocks! Aaron McGruder for President? I'd vote for him. I also look forward to seeing him on Real Time with Bill Maher, even though I'm not a fan of Bill Maher.

jazzypom
12-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Ananse+Dec 11 2003, 04:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ananse @ Dec 11 2003, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jazzypom@Nov 29 2003, 02:53 PM

pity.

but i do read it online, and am planning to get one or two books delivered from the states. you can&#39;t access much american comics over here.

regards

jp
Jp,

You can get them from Amazon in the UK. I bought "A right to be hostile" and "Because I know you don&#39;t read the newspapers". I would recommend you get "A right to be hostile" as it also contains all the strips from "Because I know you don&#39;t read the newspapers".

I loved the part where Ward Conerly(sp??) answers the advert the boys had placed for Condi. In it he enquires about the race of the lady in question. When the boys wouldn&#39;t say, he let&#39;s it be known that if the lady in question is African-American, that napptural hair gives him hives :doh :doh

By the way, is Bishop Magic Don Juan a real person???

Ananse [/b][/quote]
dear anase,

i actually located &#39;because you don&#39;t read newspapers&#39; at waterstones in nottingham. i near tears over this discovery (they ran about 50% of those comics in the gleaner in ja) and i read the rest on ucomics.com (but it seems you have to pay for them now -).

i will definately be looking on amazon to see if my budget can fit the other two comic comppedums (sp?) - its the shipping charges that kill me, though, so i may order it through waterstones.

my only gripe with mr. macgruder is this; although, his wit is piercing, and unflinching his pencilling skills are weak compared to bill watterson (calvin), gary trudeau or even charles shultz, a part of the pleasure of the comic art (for me!) is the placement of drawings and perspective in every frame.

but apart from that quibble, i do support and respect mr. macgruder&#39;s endeavors by buying his works (and there are not many cartoonists i do support)

regards
jp

gemma03
12-18-2003, 04:17 AM
I love Aaron too. I love everything about the strip. I would love to marry him too:)

BlakStaar
12-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Bump

Medusa Negrita
12-03-2004, 03:16 AM
Aaron&#39;s cartoon script is suppose to coming out in the form of animated Cartoon. I like it, and if as many people like the cartoon as they do the printed comics, it should be successful. I look forward to it.

Aaron McGruder or pres huh? Sure why not.... if you want him dead. Hope he&#39;s got a lotta cartoons to back him up posthumus (or however it&#39;s spelled).

Or maybe I got that wrong. Maybe you didn&#39;t mean president of the.. united states, but some other all black country.

Aquadri
12-04-2004, 03:43 AM
I love the Boondocks! The books are great to keep around for a laugh or two. (Which reminds me that my ex still hasn&#39;t returned the book I let him borrow)

BlakStaar
12-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Another Boondocks fan checking in. I read it daily via Okayplayer.com Right now I&#39;m trying to decide which book I should buy by McGruder. This year he released his first novel, "Birth Of A Nation." Has any one read it?

You read more about it here. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400048591/qid=1102132706/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-9319282-8201653)

nzinga
12-26-2004, 03:59 AM
I so love Aaron and the Boondocks.