PDA

View Full Version : My Afro In The Work Place

litebrown
10-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I currently work as an Insurance agent. I have only been doing this occupation for about a month. The first 2 weeks i worked with my manager who happens to be white. we went out and made a lot of sales. Now that i'm on my own and selling my sales arent that great. I just chalked it up to inexperience. But my family told me different. They said it was because of my hair and that i dont look professional. Mind you my hair never looks a mess and my style of dress is completely professional

My mother said people dont want to look at or trust someone that looks as i do(she tried to say it in the nicest way possible. My father on the other hand(he has always hated my hair) said you need to straighten that nappy mess and color it back to black :angry: The people i work with has never said anything but positives about my hair. and if they didnt like and didnt think i could be capable of the job they wouldnt have hired me(had 3 interview process wore a wig to one but went natural to the others, parent had me scared on the that occation but thats a different story).

Sure some people might not care for it. but usually you can sense that vibe. i havent sensed it from any prospective client. I just think i need to learn from more from my job and not go fry my hair.

Straight hair doesnt mean you more professional then any other person :angry:

my so called non professional looks (http://public.fotki.com/litebrown/1/)

empress02
10-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Hey girl, try not to let them get you down, my Dad hates my hair too, mind you, I just did the BC and only have about half inch of hair on my head, I am very concerned about how my work place will rect once it starts to grow & I wear an Afro, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I would ask my manager to step out with me again & se eif sales do increase, also could it be her selling technique as oppsed to the physicalm just a thought, eliminate all other possibilities before you start blaming your hair.

Take it easy

Empress from Yard :afro:

MotherLand
10-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Some people after seeing permed out hair for so many years aren't ready for a strong, proud, natural, black woman, I think as long as you do things the best you can and give a 110% you'll be able to overcome. :) I love your hair. Your performance is not dictated by your hair. Keep on going girl. (Hope I said it right, lol)

yummyhoney06
10-01-2005, 02:56 PM
First of all, I must say your hair is ADORABLE! It looks so cute on you :wub: .

If anything, your sales might be slow because of lack of experience. Older folks can be so closed-minded sometimes.

vicchnu
10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
I like your hair and don't see anything that will shout "unprofessional" to me. When you had afro, i thought you meant a big bouncy afro. But it looks nice and neat on you to me and i tend to have conservative views of the workplace.

pizazz
10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I hear ya; When my mother first saw my hair she raved about it and said how beautiful it made me look, which made me feel so much better about doing the BC to a twa(her opinion and advice always meant alot to me)...

However I was crushed when she said to me before I was going on a date with someone I've know for 10 yrs, haven't seen in 3:"Most men don't like women with short hair" I was so dissapointed in her comment :( Especially since I've been rockin' short hair cuts for the past 8 years... :rolleyes:

what I think she meant is-'men don't like nappyhair'....she just didn't want those to be the words to come out :icon_headshake: what do I care what most men don't like? It's about what they admire about me, not my hair...(we already know each other) :dunno:

issa
10-01-2005, 03:49 PM
There's nothing wrong with your hair. If you know your stuff and have a good personality it will shine through... not to mention the obvious value of plain old hard work, which no one can look down on.

If you're feeling that your hair is drawing attention away from your skills, you could try 2-strand twists for awhile and see what happens. Sometimes the sheer volume of a 'fro or hair that goes out and not down can startle people. At work, I see the looks when I change my hair up, but I keep my manner straightforward so that we're addressing the task at hand or focusing on the data we're analyzing rather than "wow look at your hair". It can make a nice conversational topic, though, if people are just totally awed and interested. I find that whites are cool. It's more black people that are like :icon_eek13:

Cheleigh
10-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by yummyhoney06@Oct 1 2005, 07:56 AM
First of all, I must say your hair is ADORABLE! It looks so cute on you :wub: .

If anything, your sales might be slow because of lack of experience. Older folks can be so closed-minded sometimes.

ITA with both statements. Who knows the cause--it could be the presentation, or it could be physical (maybe it is hair, but unlikely, ethnicity, age, other appearance). If I were your marketing person, I would create a 5 question survey that I would give to leads whether they bought or not and ask them to evaluate you. You wouldn't give it to your manager, but you would better understand what they liked and didn't like about your pitch, and better determine what the problem might be.

tbaby900
10-01-2005, 04:25 PM
I think that all people in that field dont do good at first. I was thinking about doing that and the lady told me to expect it to be rocky the first 4 months or so.

Poohbear215
10-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by litebrown@Oct 1 2005, 10:18 AM
I currently work as an Insurance agent. I have only been doing this occupation for about a month. The first 2 weeks i worked with my manager who happens to be white. we went out and made a lot of sales. Now that i'm on my own and selling my sales arent that great. I just chalked it up to inexperience. But my family told me different. They said it was because of my hair and that i dont look professional. Mind you my hair never looks a mess and my style of dress is completely professional

My mother said people dont want to look at or trust someone that looks as i do(she tried to say it in the nicest way possible. My father on the other hand(he has always hated my hair) said you need to straighten that nappy mess and color it back to black :angry: The people i work with has never said anything but positives about my hair. and if they didnt like and didnt think i could be capable of the job they wouldnt have hired me(had 3 interview process wore a wig to one but went natural to the others, parent had me scared on the that occation but thats a different story).

Sure some people might not care for it. but usually you can sense that vibe. i havent sensed it from any prospective client. I just think i need to learn from more from my job and not go fry my hair.

Straight hair doesnt mean you more professional then any other person :angry:

my so called non professional looks (http://public.fotki.com/litebrown/1/)

Your sales not being that great has nothing to do with your hair. That&#39;s ridiculous for your parents to say that and somewhat naive. <_<

If I were you, I would discuss my concerns with the lady you previously worked with to see what you can do to get more sales on your own. Also, how has everyone else that works as an insurance sales agent been doing? I would also find out from people who are doing good with sales and see what they are doing to generate more sales.

HTH!!! Best wishes to you on your job! ;)

jmnappy
10-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Nope. It&#39;s not your hair. Give yourself time, and your sales are going to be through the roof.

KnappilyMe
10-01-2005, 08:03 PM
aint nothing wrong with your head. When is started my job that i am at now, they (da fam) tried to get me to put a chemical fire cream in my hair. <_< the main one got locs... so what does that tell you.

Get ya practice and ya learn on and dont let them change u! VIVA LA :afro:

Cammydoll
10-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Girl you have some cute hair. Its going to take time for people&#39;s attitide to change. Keep being you and working on your skills, you will be fine.

litebrown
10-03-2005, 10:52 AM
thank you all for you advice. if anything today i&#39;m going to go out and have a beautiful work day

nappyjam
10-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by litebrown@Oct 3 2005, 06:52 AM
thank you all for you advice. if anything today i&#39;m going to go out and have a beautiful work day

Sweetie I have the same concerns: I am about to start a new job within the coming week.

neena34
10-24-2005, 08:30 PM
It&#39;s amazing how programmed older folks can be. I guess it takes a while for their consciousness (sp?) to catch up to the times. The problem with that is, we value their opinions so, unfortunately, they can do damage to our self esteem if we let them. When I first went natural, my mom would make comments like "My favorite style on you is the one where you had a PERM". Recently, I&#39;ve had to let her and my Auntie know "the perm ain&#39;t a&#39;comin back...build a bridge". We have just got to try not to hear the negative comments and let our families know that we are who we are, we ARE beautiful (dammit) and that includes the our hair and it&#39;s not changing so learn to deal.