PDA

View Full Version : Newly Natural

alurry
10-02-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm newly natural with about three inches of hair. I'm still getting used to my new do! My hair was past by shoulders and now it is so short, but I decided to cut off the permed ends at my dermatologist's suggestion. The thing I'm concerned about is acceptance in the workplace. I have a professioal job and am concerned about how I may be perceived. I will be interviewing for positions soon, and often think I may be discriminated against because of my natural hair (I wear it in two strand twists). Has anyone had this experience? If so, how did you cope with it? Any guidance you can provide is appreciated.

sofreesonappy
10-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by alurry@Oct 2 2005, 03:24 AM
I'm newly natural with about three inches of hair. I'm still getting used to my new do! My hair was past by shoulders and now it is so short, but I decided to cut off the permed ends at my dermatologist's suggestion. The thing I'm concerned about is acceptance in the workplace. I have a professioal job and am concerned about how I may be perceived. I will be interviewing for positions soon, and often think I may be discriminated against because of my natural hair (I wear it in two strand twists). Has anyone had this experience? If so, how did you cope with it? Any guidance you can provide is appreciated.

Trust me, I understand what you are dealing with. I'm newly natural as well. When I arrived at work with my newly natural style I did not received comments from anyone in my face. And I work in a very professional southern environment. I have heard some comments behind my back (from relaxed hair sistas, and a dumb frat boy) but they can't do anything about your current position.

I am also interviewing as well. I think since you will show up at the interview with your natural hair they do not know the difference. If you are discriminated against because of the texture of your hair they will probably discriminate against you because of your race as well with straight hair. I say go for the job and walk in the interview with a smile. :D

camille66
10-06-2005, 08:54 PM
I've been transitiong for almost a year. I usually wear my hair in an afro puff, double strand twist, or flat twist back like cornrows. Those are my main styles. I too worried about the reaction in the office, but to my amazement I've had mainly positive comments. Tho I am interviewing now, and went on an interview the other day with my afro puff working. I was nervous about the reaction, but went in with confidence. I was called back for 2nd interview. Still waiting on the outcome.

I believe that if you appear to have less confidence with your natural it shows somehow and leaves u vurnerable to negative comments. But if you show up with the confidence and positive attitude towards yourself then you will find u get more positive feedback and if you don't then to hell with them. As long as U love ur natural, that's all that really matters

As for the permed office haters and the frat boy, shake those haters off. When people don't like you or something about you for no reason, then they are hatin!!!

Stay natural!

thines1
10-07-2005, 02:40 PM
When I told my mom I was looking for a job she said no one would hire me because of my hair. At the time I was wearing two stranded twists. I felt my attitude and qualifications were what made me a successful person for the job. I wrapped my hair the night before the interview so that it would be flat. So it basically looked like my hair was pulled back. I wanted the attention to be all about me and not about how I wear my hair. I got the job and told my mom afterwards. I think people can sense when you have apprehensions about your hair. I say be confident in you which means being confident about your hair. You will get the job. I don't believe in going to corporate America with a big blowout :afro: . I consider that more of a weekend hairstyle. That is just me.

napphappy
10-14-2005, 10:57 PM
This is definitely a "sensitive" topic. I just recently went natural and was very concerned about how I might be received in my professional work environment. The white folks, if they say anything, have been nothing but complimentary. Believe it or not, the only negative comments/reactions have come from sistas. Despite the hatin', I decided I can't be worried about what people think of me. I know why I made the transition and I LOVE it--who cares what they say. In the end, my hair will be happier for it!

MotherLand
10-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by napphappy@Oct 14 2005, 06:57 PM
This is definitely a "sensitive" topic. I just recently went natural and was very concerned about how I might be received in my professional work environment. The white folks, if they say anything, have been nothing but complimentary. Believe it or not, the only negative comments/reactions have come from sistas. Despite the hatin', I decided I can't be worried about what people think of me. I know why I made the transition and I LOVE it--who cares what they say. In the end, my hair will be happier for it!

I think the sistas are hating because they have not yet been enlightened and have always been taught "our hair is bad" for a very long time and now beleive so themselves. :doh: I think most white people area appreciative of our natural hair because alot of them are used to seeing it in it's relaxed state so when they see it for what it truly is they see it is not really like their's and in is unique and beautiful in it's own way. I don't know, I'm just putting my two cents in. ;)

mmNique
10-21-2005, 02:09 AM
When you exude self-confidence and dress like a professional, 9 times out of 10 you will be accepted.

I BC to a few inches (I never keep count), and I am also the only black female in our circuit (4 counties).

There were times in the beginning when inside, I wasn't so sure..but I was always conscious not to let them know.

I wear my hair all kinds of ways now that it is growing out. My Circuit director likes it. There are some of my co-workers who briefly look at my hair strange, but I quickly shoot them a look like.... ##%!!!!

HTH