PDA

View Full Version : Chicago

Bai
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm going to Chicago for a couple of days next week and I have no idea what to see. My brother lives there, so I'm sure he'll show me a good time. However, I'd like to have some places of my own to see too. Any and all input is appreciated!

Scribetastic
10-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Bai@Oct 5 2005, 04:49 AM
I'm going to Chicago for a couple of days next week and I have no idea what to see. My brother lives there, so I'm sure he'll show me a good time. However, I'd like to have some places of my own to see too. Any and all input is appreciated!

I should be running out out the door to class, but I saw this and had to say definitely Michigan Avenue (for the shopping.) :D

If you have family there, he'll probably cover certain tourists spots like the Sears Tower and the Loop (the downtown area and the river that winds through it.)

I'll see how this thread has progressed and, if needed, I'll add more...

chilite
10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Without knowing what you like to do, here's my stab at it.
Devon Avenue= Indian/Pakistani Community in action, I love buying fresh coconut juice on the avenue, and window shopping for saris, also, Patel grocer has the cheapest, incense, in the back of the store and some smell really good.

Hyde Park=

Bronzeville= I luv, the architecture in Bronzeville, I always wondered who lived in those mansions. Particularly on 47th and Wabash you will see an amazing building that is up for auction. It housed affluent african americans that were not allowed to move any further south than that.

Afrocentric bookstore on 47th and King Drive.

39th and Oakwood, I just love the street and again the buildings. They are also putting up a Chicago Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.

How could I forget... Garretts's popcorn, located in the loop and on North Michigan Avenue, I get the pecan/carmel crisp. Also, The DuSable Museum of African American History, I think they have a quilt exhibit going on.

State Street=Marshall Fields (before it becomes Macy's, get yourself a green bag! LOL) Also, take a trolly from State Street for free that will also give you a view of the city.

18th Street=Pilsen=Spanish foods and shops.

Argyle Avenue=North=everything Korean or Asian.

HTH

I'm sure your brother knows other spots, can't wait to see other responses.

cyndependant
10-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I think the trollys are done for the summer. but its always nice to just walk around downtown.

Millineum Park is nice.

The magnificent mile is great for shopping.

Navy pier is nice as well.

Im a Michael Jordan fan so i would reccommend going to the United Center and taking a picture with his statue :D

Make it over to the Lake shore if you can, the skyline is beautiful this time of year.

Make sure you bring some shorts, a tank top, a winter coat, an umbrella, a turtle neck, and some sandals ...lol(we got funny weather this time of the year, today its 85 tomorrow its supposed to be 60)

U have to get some GARRETS POPCORN from downtown (cheese and caramel mix)

chilite
10-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Can't wait to hear your trip report, and the trolleys that I am referring to are actually, on a free, weekend only basis now through the holidays. During Christmas, they will then switch over to an everyday schedule, versus weekend.

tsaraya29
10-05-2005, 07:03 PM
ditto on Millenium park. Since you're only going to be in town a couple of days, you may want to stick with the downtown area because there is plenty to see, museums to visit, and other attractions.

Bai
10-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Wow, thanks so much to everyone! I'm so excited to go. I'll keep checking my post until I leave, and when I get back I'll let you all know how it was.

Cyndependant: Eeeek on the weather report...I'm in Cali so I'm not going to like that range too much!

saga30311
11-12-2005, 09:31 PM
So, how was your trip, and how WAS the weather? I'm headed there this week, and I see the temperature range is from 63 down to 37??!!! Do I need to pack a parka AND shorts? :dunno: