PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or...

ReRoyalty
12-01-2003, 11:56 PM
I have no idea what the deal is but my scalp is acting crazy. I think it has gotten worse since deciding to put down the Dark N Lovely box almost 8 months ago. I would big chop :cen but I can't have short hair and a flaky scalp :nohuh It's like I have scabs or something, almost like after a burning relaxer :huh . I'm bout to go crazy. I can't conditioner wash it as often as I would like because I'm in college and we have hard water, I'm still transitioning and when my hair is wet it is so difficult to deal with, and I'm rushing in the mornings now to get up and going.

I've tried washing weekly w/ selsun blue, sulfur 8 is no good, and someone suggested the ACV wash and that did nothing for me. Any suggestions? :-x

healthy
12-02-2003, 12:14 AM
You may have dermatitis. Try to schedule a visit with a dermatologist. I hade a flaky scalp and the shampoo that I've been using from my doctor took care of the problem.

mitea
12-02-2003, 12:25 AM
This has been happening to me since I've been at college, and I have hard water too. I noticed when I was my hair with hot water, it get's irriated. Althougth i did this all the time when I was permed and growing up in NYC. But i thin hot hard water, and my scalp don't get along. It could be the temp or just the hard water.

When has helped me is rinsing in cold water, and this wek I've been doing no oil and I going to wash my hair twice a week.

Hopefully i won't get the irriation from the water anymore. I hope my suggestions help.

delightfulflame
12-02-2003, 12:39 AM
I too used to suffer from this. I had huge flakes in my scalp. I didn't use grease b/c I couldn't stand it. I only sprayed with oil sheen. Even so, as a permie, I had to wash my hair every 3 or 4 days. I tried conditioner washes...my hair loved them and my scalp HATED them. I also did hot oil treatments which my hair love and my scalp hate. No amount of rinsing could stop the INTENSE itching that I felt after even a day (or two on a good week).

What I found on my journey is that I have to have shampoo once a week. Not the drying kind (with that sodium laureth sulfate stuff), but my hair likes natural shampoos such as Aubrey Organics ($10). I found some Dr. Bronner's Castille soap in my local health food store, and I'm anxious to try it b/c it's cheaper ($4) and has wonderful, all natural ingredients.

To make up for shampoo use, I deep condition every week and sit under the dryer or leave it on all day. I mix some oil and honey in with the conditioner. After rinsing them out, I use the ACV rinse.

I can now go a whole week (7 days or more sometimes) without washing my hair. I feel so free I don't know how to act!!!

blakpearl
12-02-2003, 01:34 AM
ReRoyalty, can't really recommend any products to use but just to let you know that when I was transitioning I had the worst itchy, dry scalp you could imagine. It was to the point where my scalp would become irritated from scratching. But once I became completely natural, I don't have that problem anymore. It's amazing that I haven't seen not one flake of dandruff or had any problems with my scalp whatsoever and I don't even use any type of products for my scalp.It may also be the products that you use on your hair. I think mine came from using too many products to maintain the new growth and the relaxed ends,so maybe the big chop would help, once you completely get rid of any relaxed ends, then you should only have to use a few products on your hair.Hope that helps.

ReRoyalty
12-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks ladies... I might see if my insurance will pay for a dermatologist visit. Or I might just be big choppin a few inches early.

Diamonique
12-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by delightfulflame@Dec 1 2003, 08:39 PM
I found some Dr. Bronner's Castille soap in my local health food store, and I'm anxious to try it b/c it's cheaper ($4) and has wonderful, all natural ingredients.
Don't forget to dilute it! Dr. Bronner's soaps are highly concentrated. I use 1 part liquid soap to 3 parts water and it makes a wonderful shampoo... lots of suds and gentle yet thorough cleansing.

-- Diamonique

systah
12-02-2003, 01:53 AM
try nizoral shampoo. you can get it at walmart, walgreens, etc.

lokkin2173
12-02-2003, 01:54 AM
Similiar thing happened to me too, I would definately take the advice of the poster that suggested the dermatologist. Reducing the frequency and quantity of my shampooing and using only natural shampoos w/o sodium laureth sulfate helped me a great deal. Another thing that helped me is I wash my hair in the coolest water I can tolerate.

delightfulflame
12-02-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Diamonique+Dec 1 2003, 09:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Diamonique @ Dec 1 2003, 09:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-delightfulflame@Dec 1 2003, 08:39 PM
I found some Dr. Bronner&#39;s Castille soap in my local health food store, and I&#39;m anxious to try it b/c it&#39;s cheaper ($4) and has wonderful, all natural ingredients.
Don&#39;t forget to dilute it! Dr. Bronner&#39;s soaps are highly concentrated. I use 1 part liquid soap to 3 parts water and it makes a wonderful shampoo... lots of suds and gentle yet thorough cleansing.

-- Diamonique [/b][/quote]
Thanks for looking out! :rainfro

AfroLatina
12-02-2003, 03:27 AM
I had this problem as well. Why don&#39;t you try getting a shower filter? It cost like hmmm $30 and its easy to install and believe me it does the job. I have eczema and it really helped with the itchies. You could get one at Lowe&#39;s or Home Depot. Hope this helps...

IrisDaVirus
12-02-2003, 04:52 AM
@ReRoyalty

I am curious to know if you&#39;re using any heavy medications. If you are, they may be part of your scalp problems. In any case, please see a dermatologist like some others have suggested, OK?

Take care and good luck. :thumbsup