PDA

View Full Version : last night a filter saved my life

honeychild
12-02-2003, 07:50 PM
i just moved from ny to phoenix az and the water here is SO HARD and so heavily chlorinated, my hair went from cloudlike to strawlike in under a WEEK!

so i got a shower filter. it wasn't even a fancy $80 one from gaiam.com or anything; just a regular old $20 anti-chlorine filter from home depot -- and my hair and skin were instanly quenched. my mom got one too and is SO pleased. she works a lot with ceramics glazes and fabric dyes and her hands and forearms are always flaking and tortured. she said her skin has stopped flaking after only a week. AND the other day she only put lotion on one leg by mistake (LOL) and the non-oiled leg wasn't ashy at all!

hooray for shower filters, yall. :app :app :app if you live in a hard-water area i think they're DEFINITELY worth the investment.

netta1
12-02-2003, 07:58 PM
how do you know if you have hard water or not??? How do you test it yourself?

luvnme
12-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Thank you for the cheap Home Depot referral. I'm getting ready to take these two-strands out of my hair, and will be caring for my hair again. so, I will definitely be in need of a shower filter. It's been a long time since I've read up on hard water, so I don't know whether I have hard water here or not (VA Beach, VA), but I'm still buying one regardless. You can't beat that price!

scurrie
12-02-2003, 08:14 PM
I've heard that one way of detecting whether u have hard water is if your soap takes a long time to sud. however, if your soap takes a while to sud it could mean your soap has less detergent (no LSL or less of it) in it, which I've heard is a good thing.

I'm going to purchase one when I get to NY. Thanks Honeychild! :thumbsup

charma
12-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by netta1@Dec 2 2003, 11:58 AM
how do you know if you have hard water or not??? How do you test it yourself?
Home Depot also have little do-it-yourself kits for about $10 to test your water if you're not sure if it is hard or not.

Ipanema
12-02-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm going to Home Depot or Lowes to get a water filter. I recently moved, too, and the water was destroying my hair. It was dry, hard, & brittle. My hair started breaking, and I was so frustrated until I realized that I had hard water. I ended up washing my hair with a gallon of distilled water. It was cold & tedious, but my hair became soft, moisturized, and elastic again.

skegee94
12-02-2003, 10:51 PM
:offtopic
Honeychild, you left New York?? How could you??
I just knew there was something different and a little sad about the City; I just couldn't put my finger on it. :violin
Ah well, best of luck! Phoenix probably needs a Nappy Ambassador anyway!

Deej
12-02-2003, 11:09 PM
@Netta,

You can probably tell if you have hard water by paying attention to your skin after you take a shower. My skin would feel really dry and tight. And when the water got in my eyes, it would feel like someone had stuck sand in them. When I got my filter those were some of the differences I noticed. HTH

undrea
12-02-2003, 11:35 PM
I've been meaning to get a shower filter for the longest. I think I'll go get one now. The hard water could be one of the contributing factors to my hair dryness. Thanks Honeychild for sharing!! :rainfro

honeychild
12-03-2003, 04:55 AM
LMAO @ skeegee! heehee.

don't worry, i'll be back when it gets warm again. :)

the home depot water testing kits are a good idea. but really, water's hardness has to do with the level of mineral deposits in the water. our municipal water supply is almost universaily treated with chlorine and flouride and stuff like that, that's not necessarily good for yr hair & skin. so whether yr water is even hard or not, a chlorine-reducing filter probably wouldn't HURT.

Bklyn4eva
12-03-2003, 05:06 AM
you learn something new every day...i'll be getting a shower filter- thanks for the info!

sjdancer
12-03-2003, 08:06 AM
:app to shower filters. I love mine.

deecoily
12-03-2003, 08:40 AM
There's an article on the website all about hard water.

http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfsect...hp?articleid=28 (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=28)

Honeychild is on point. Get a filter, even if you water isn't hard. Chlorine is a bad thing.

~Dee~

laticca8
12-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the tip, Honeychild! :dance:

LBellatrix
12-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Damn...now I've got that song in my head...

"Last night a filter saved my life...from a broken heart..." :lol

Honeychild, enjoy Phoenix! The town itself ain't all that IMO, but it's a good place from which to start exploring the rest of AZ. I prefer Tucson and Flagstaff (and of course Sedona) myself.

Jewells
12-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I got one based on reviews off the old board. Can't shower without it.

SheShe
12-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Honeychild, what brand did you get? Our water isn't hard, but I still want to get one anyway.

SheShe

FreshStart
12-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup

ooooo
12-12-2003, 04:55 AM
i wonder if these are easy to install? i saw one at the health food store... hmm. maybe i'll get one in the next week or so.

skegee94
12-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Everytime I see this post, I start thinking of the song, "Last night a Deeee Jay saved my life!"

Beloved
12-12-2003, 05:39 AM
This is for real.

I thought the cold weather was wrecking my hair...until I washed my hair at the gym and it softened up a lot. I recalled how soft my skin felt as I was showering and remember thinking, this water is sooo soft.

Come to find out, I hadn't replaced my my filter in a month at home! That's why my hair changed. Until I can get to Lowe's for another filter, I will only wash at the gym.

QueenLena03
12-12-2003, 03:05 PM
That's a good idea. I will be investing in one. My skin has been so dry lately.

AntPat
12-13-2003, 04:40 AM
uh huh SHOWER FILTER.....that sounds like another thing I need to put on my list of things to get. Sounds good all around. Your hair and skin benifit!

Potterville
12-14-2003, 01:19 AM
Holly Crap, does this filter do the job or what!!!! Thanks Honeychild you pushed my decision to get one. My hubby bought it for me today and let me tell you what, my hair is soooo much softer and my skin is soft as well. My hair and skin have really taken a toll during this cold/dry southern winter and I was really upset, but now, HAPPY DANCE!!!! :dance: