PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview/ Advice

haitianqueen25
10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Hello,
I'm in college and I have a job interview coming up next week. I've been natural for about a year. In the past I've had some bad experiences with my afro. I went to a job fair 3 weeks ago and spent four hours the night before straightening it... to the point that the fire alarm went off. I was wondering if anyone has some hair suggestions that I can do. Something I can do myself (college budget), won't damage my hair and still look professional. :dunno:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

gigglezk
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
i wore my hair like this for my last job interview. i got the job and a compliment from the recruiter.

i did about six flat twist in the front of my hair at angle. i basically sectioned off a triangle of hair. then i two strand twisted the rest of my hair when it was dry/damp. the pictures show the hair before i did the twist out. all the pics of i have of it twisted out didn't come out good.

http://www.djhtown.freeservers.com/hair2.jpg

http://www.djhtown.freeservers.com/hair3.jpg

sweetnikki_6
10-13-2005, 06:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with your natural hair! It is not unprofessional! Wear it anyway you want, it is your skills and how you sell yourself that will determine whether or not you get the job! Bust a fro, twists, puff whatever! This is how your hair is supposed to be work it with confidence and get the gig!

Jazitones
10-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by sweetnikki_6@Oct 13 2005, 02:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with your natural hair! It is not unprofessional! Wear it anyway you want, it is your skills and how you sell yourself that will determine whether or not you get the job! Bust a fro, twists, puff whatever! This is how your hair is supposed to be work it with confidence and get the gig!

IA.

@ Gigglezk, I love tha hair style

You can always go through the hair albums and pick out styles according to hair lenght or any length for that matter. :)

abbinigel
10-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I like the style pics above. I say wear your hair in a style that is natural yet still "mainstream" in a way. I wore twists and never had a problem-it was neat and looked healthy. Don't go thru all that hassle of straightening it for the interview if you don't have to or really want to.

AuNappturale
10-13-2005, 06:19 PM
OH, YOUR POOR STRANDS! No, don't damage them for the sake of a job. Many of us have learned the hard way.

Since it's a concern, twist-outs look very professional and mainstream, when fresh. It has a rodded look, which many reviewers are familiar with.

Good luck!

Cranberry
10-13-2005, 06:58 PM
I think twists look professional too. It mine have been in for a while or are standing up more than lying down, I may put in a barette on the side to tame it and dress it up. If your hair is long enough you can even put the twists in a bun or french roll type thing.

Gigglezk, that style is cute! And professional.

mariamichelle
10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
If your hair is long enough you can put it in a bun with a foam donut. I just did the big chop last month and for my interviews I plan to do a wash and go with a head band. Good luck.

babygirlwoman
10-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I've been interviewing with my hair in a headband/puff type thing (iono what to call it, pix in album) and i've been offered a few jobs.

I'd suggest if you're a lil uncomfy with your hair that u overcompensate with your interview clothing and preparedness
be sure to look uber professional and have questions planned for ur interviewer.

Good Luck

defblue
10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
I say choose a style that you feel comfortable in. It's not your hair that's the professional it's you.

haitianqueen25
10-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey Ladies,
Thanks for your words. I will definetly walk in confident, prepared and 100% natural...

lyndaslocs
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
I confess to wearing a wig over my short afro for my board-certification exam in psychiatry. I still failed. I've gotten many jobs with my short natural and now locks. Free yourself, be yourself.

chocolate1
10-26-2005, 04:56 PM
I agree with previous posters who said that however your hair is, wear it with confidence.

For my current job, I had just come from a cross country trip during which the last day, I was taking out my braid extensions when I got the call to interview the next day. I thought I was going to have all weekend to deep condition and re twist. So when I got home on Thursday, I through some conditioner in there and Friday morning I got up and rinsed it out and slapped on a cute headband that I found at the Limited Too with a rhinestone butterfly. No detangling, finger styling or anything. Not only did I get the job they gave me an extra $2000 higher than the original offer. And I knew my hair looked like crazy on a bad day.