PDA

View Full Version : mustard oil

naturalcurl
02-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Has anyone tried mustard oil :? ? Someone on another message board recommended it as a strengthening & growth agent. This is what she said:

"Hi a lady who was my best friend in collage had beautiful black hair all the way down to her knees. She used muster oil smelt like hell but she would leave it on 3 hr. 2 times a week then would wash with a good shampoo just don't get it in your eyes. Her hair was beautiful and strong takes about month. Then you half to do it for life to keep it that way you can usually get it in an India market."

This made me curious, so I did a little research and found http://www.ayurveda-herbal-remedy.com/ayur.../hair-loss.html (http://www.ayurveda-herbal-remedy.com/ayurvedic-tips/hair-loss.html),
which states the following:

"Oiling and massaging of scalp is very beneficial for stopping the hair loss. Use coconut oil or mustard oil at least three times in a week. Certain medicated oils like 'Mahabhringraj oil', 'Amala oil', and 'Arnica oil' are very useful. Put oil on the scalp, and massage gently in the roots of the hair."

I've never smelt mustard oil and I admit I'm feeling a little chicken about trying it because of the harsh smell (I don't know if I can stand it for 3 hours).

Autumn
02-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi Naturalcurl,
I brought Mustard oil a few weeks ago, not intentionally! pick up the wrong bottle in a grocery store,
being the cheapy that i am, i was not prepared to throw it away, i had to find a way to use it so i did a search on the net for info too,
I tried it, but i added, essential oils, lavender, sweet orange & nutmeg so the smell did not kill me, i did an overnight oil treatment,
as i do with all my oil treatments, i put a plastic bag on, then a cotton scarf, than a woollen hat, then washed it out the next day, my hair felt great, i usaually use castor oil, it has similar consistency of caster oil,
it gave me the same result as using castor oil, i have allot of hair, & the castor & mustard oil tames it, i know there are allot of naturals that cannot use the heavy oils, so it might not work for you.

but i seriously think the castor oil will do the same thing, if u cannot stand the smell, but then it was allot cheaper than castor oil.

i warn you it it smells baaaaaaaaaaad :oops: :? :( really bad
i nearly threw up when i smelt it for the first time.
i have a big bottle so i will finsh it, but because i don't need to do oil treatments very often anymore, i don't know how long it will take me to go through it, & i also have caster oil at home too.
at least it's not a waste of money.
hope that helped,
all the best

A

Howardhijabi
04-20-2008, 11:35 PM
My best friend is Pakistani and she uses it on her hair...her sister also uses it on her daughters hair for styling

NaturalGirl112678
04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
The mail guy at work informed me that mustard oil is great for hair growth. He's Indian and he said his cousins use it on their hair if they want to grow their hair out fast.