PDA

View Full Version : Tiny knots

niki000
12-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Lately I've been noticing that individual strands of my hair will tie itself in knots. Is this normal?? and is there anything I can do to prevent it. I fell like it is breaking my hair off when i try to brush or comb it. I just had my ends clipped too and this has not solved the problem, in fact the knots are higher in the strands than my ends are...

ava1
12-03-2003, 02:25 PM
I've noticed this too. People say that when you see knots it's time for a trim but I've trimmed and it doesn't matter. I don't think I've experienced any breakage, so I'm just accepting it as something my hair does.

Ravensholst
12-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Me too. I've noticed this too just recently and I just trimmed also. So, I know it wasnt that I needed a trim. I figured it was something that just was gonna happen no matter. It hasnt caused any significant problems yet so, I dont worry about it.

KhymFree
12-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Same here. I try to rub oil into the ends and leave it alone. :-?

nappylynn
12-03-2003, 03:43 PM
my hair does that and its only 2 inches long....

just curious what "hair type" to you gals have? i'm 4a OS

Nellienaps
12-03-2003, 04:07 PM
My hair does that a lot! I've got really thick, dense hair. I suppose it's 4B. I don't think there's anything I can do about it though.

WorldsOfCurls
12-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Mine does that too. I think its because our hair curls and coils around itself, it slips into a knot. I dont think there is anything to do about it.

FreeToBMe
12-03-2003, 04:41 PM
I get them too. Mainly in the back where my hair is the finest. The one thing I have to do is to keep it very moisturized and I have to denman brush or detangle with a wide tooth comb at least twice a week and this seems to keep them under control.

jetcitygirl
12-03-2003, 05:11 PM
I use to get a lot of knots! What has helped reduce them is to not sleep with loose hair. Meaning either braid, bantu-knot or put your hair up some kind of way so that it's not moving around a lot while you're sleeping. I still get a few, but since I've been wearing my hair pulled back and keeping it "immobile" I find a knot maybe once every couple months instead of several per week. It's just the nature of tightly curled hair that it will wind around itself and tighten into a knot when its brushed or otherwise pulled taut.

Shanna
12-03-2003, 05:12 PM
I'm getting those too. It's starting to worry me. But a lot of them are close to the ends, so I'm going to trim soon and see what happens. But some of them are kind of high up on the strand...

jada1111
12-03-2003, 07:43 PM
I get this too and trimming doesn't really make them go away. I make sure to keep my ends moisturized and to only comb them with conditioner in it. I'm going to try jetcitygirl's technique and keep my hair braided or tied up at night. I'm just sort of lazy about it. Good thing for the satin pillowcase or I'd really be in trouble.

Aquarius
12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by WorldsOfCurls@Dec 3 2003, 08:32 AM
Mine does that too. I think its because our hair curls and coils around itself, it slips into a knot. I dont think there is anything to do about it.
:thumbsup

sjdancer
12-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Knots are just a phenomenon that happens with our hair, that is not to say that you shouldn't trim. I think exessive knotting and tangling is a warning sign for a trim though

BlkButterflye
12-03-2003, 07:56 PM
could it be the change in weather/temp that is causing the knots? because my hair is doing the same thing but i did not have this problem in the warmer months....

jada1111
12-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by BlkButterflye@Dec 3 2003, 07:56 PM
could it be the change in weather/temp that is causing the knots? because my hair is doing the same thing but i did not have this problem in the warmer months....
You know, I kind of agree with this, because I noticed my hair "thrived" during the humid days in NYC and kind of dried up in LA's dry heat. I remember the stylist who did my chop saying that bi-weekly steaming treatments will help our hair grow and maintain its elasticity. He had long beautiful locs that he said took him two years to grow. He credited the length to weekly steaming and other things.

Next year, I'm going to invest in a good hair steamer. For now, I'll buy a facial steamer and double it as a hair steamer too. :thumbsup

natitwists
12-03-2003, 09:42 PM
My hair used to knot alot but as it got longer it doesn't knot so much. Of course like SJ Dancer stated knoting and turning in on itself is a phenomenon of our curly hair.
I do notice however that my daughter's more tightly curled hair seems to knot WAY more than mine. Go figure..

ciarra
12-03-2003, 09:51 PM
I have the same problem, I thought I needed a trim. I use to trim every month, now I just let it be. And my hair is getting longer, but yeah, its annoying.

Melissa19f
12-03-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm so glad someone started this post. I have this same problem. I didn't have this problem until my hair grew out to five inches or so. When my hair was short I wore either a slicked back natural or wash and go and it was fine; not a knottie in sight. I think its a natural phenomenon in 4a/4b hair, but it can be somewhat controlled with regular trimming and keeping the hair mosturized. I think that when I used to blow dry my hair it was also more prone to the knotties. I also agree with the person that said that the knotties get worse if you sleep on your hair and allow it to get smooshed if its not braided or twisted. But than again I get knotties when my hair is in twist really bad. Its like my hair is always trying to loc itself with antoher strand or with a strand on to itself.

Anyway, I'm lazy. I think if I was more diligent with trims, conditioning/moisturizing, braiding my hair and tieing it with a silk scarf etc, my hair would be in a lot better shape. I cut out blow drying a few months ago and I see some difference. I think my laziness probably faciliates the fact that my hair has been 5 or 6 inches for the last 2 years.

I smell a New Years Resolution. . . If I buckle down and give my hair some TLC I may be able to get over my growth hump and have 9 or 10 inches by next year. Shucks if I'm really good (1/2 inch of growth a month) I can have that much by Summer '04!!

Wish me luck ;-)

inkysphinx
12-03-2003, 10:42 PM
My hair does that too. . .I'm a 4a and I also put oil on the ends. I did a trim after I started noticing it, but it didn't help. I guess it's good to know that I'm not alone!!

niki000
12-04-2003, 04:07 AM
I'm glad to hear this is normal, I'm gonna try tying my hair up before i got to sleep, but if that doesnt work... it's ok

wysdom1
12-04-2003, 05:57 AM
This was a good post. I found my first knot just this week, it was one strand wrapped around itself and tied. I will admit, I freaked out a little when the only way to get it out was by pulling [still unsure if that was the best thing to do]. I had just taken down my first attempted twists and I am pretty sure that they had something to do with.I will take the advice here and oil .. i will probably trim next month too...

soulchild2003
12-04-2003, 06:49 AM
I think I remember someone mentioning moisturizing more and wild growth oil helped with the knotting.

Miss Brown
12-06-2003, 02:59 AM
I get them all the time too. I don’t think they come from needing a trim, I think it’s just a trait of curled hair in general. What’s interesting is that a lot of 3b’s on nc.com have the same problem. I suppose there really isn’t that much to do about it except intensify moisture at the tips and trim regularly.

GalaxyGirl2012
12-06-2003, 03:23 AM
my hair did this even in summer months, but i think it was scab hair. since i chopped off 4 inches I noticed that the hair that's left loooks way different than when i had the same length 6 months ago.
i guess i'll have to wait a few months to see if it really was the awful ends that were causing the excesssive knots or if i need to change my hair routine

HuGrad2002
12-06-2003, 06:20 AM
I started having this problem when my hair was really starting to grow out (over 6 inches). I use a detangling conditioner and then I divide my hair into sections. Then I lightly brush each section. That helps me with the knots.

deedabug
12-06-2003, 06:41 PM
the shea butter stuff i got makes my hair do this...i am still wondering why