PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Scalp

chocolatethunder
10-22-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure where to post this, but I think I'm in the right forum. I have extremely itchy scalp. There's no dandruff or abnormalities on the scalp it just itches so bad it feesl like I'm going crazy. I've tried every ant- dandruff shampoo there is and nothing helps. I've even been to the dermatologist and she gave me a shampoo but that didn't work. My next appointment is in two months but I can't wait that long. Has anyone here ever experienced that before and if you have what did you do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bugs
10-23-2005, 12:08 AM
it could be build-up on your scalp.
have you tried a clarifying shampoo?
you can go to the homemade product section and search for homemade remedies for build-up.
or just buy a clarifying shampoo
i had an itchy scalp too before i started transitioning.
in the summer my scalp gets dirty so quickly that it itches horribly, so i had to wash it more often. but for me washing more often helps.
i dont think this may be the case for you but im putting it out there just in case.

ChiChiKinks
10-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I get really itchy scalp when any type of hair oil, butter, promade touches my scalp. I make sure to apply them to just my hair. It took some time and testing to figure this out...but yup that's what was causing my scalp to itch so badly

Mrs. Mims
10-29-2005, 04:04 AM
The only times I got itchy scalp was when I applied oils and/or shea butter within 2-3 days my scalp would itch like crazy.

The other time was when I started taking 'hair growth' pills. It itched like crazy until I stopped taking the pills then about 1 to 2 weeks later the itching stopped. At first I thought it was my hair growing super fast out of my scalp, but I just couldn't take it, so I quit taking the pills.

janimie
10-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ChiChiKinks@Oct 28 2005, 06:51 PM
I get really itchy scalp when any type of hair oil, butter, promade touches my scalp. I make sure to apply them to just my hair. It took some time and testing to figure this out...but yup that's what was causing my scalp to itch so badly

same story here, no more shea butter of jojoba oil for me anymore, i am on olive oil at the moment

coilyC
11-04-2005, 04:29 AM
[COLOR=green]
Originally posted by chocolatethunder@Oct 22 2005, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure where to post this, but I think I'm in the right forum. I have extremely itchy scalp. There's no dandruff or abnormalities on the scalp it just itches so bad it feesl like I'm going crazy. I've tried every ant- dandruff shampoo there is and nothing helps. I've even been to the dermatologist and she gave me a shampoo but that didn't work. My next appointment is in two months but I can't wait that long. Has anyone here ever experienced that before and if you have what did you do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

Hello chocolate Thunder,

I really don't think that you have a product build-up especially if you have been using anti-dandruff shampoos and also you have been to a professional. however we don't know, because I have excema and I get the itchies just about everywhere on my body from time to time including my scalp. try some good massage therapy for your scalp. first slow circular motions and then sort of vigorously. Try some steam nourishing conditioning and hot oil therapy. this seemsto help mine greatly. Also do you find that your hair seems to be growing or not? when mine is growing it really itches me quite a bit. I notice the growth during those periods. Anyway try to tlc your scalp. I know the feeling though. When my sister was locking she said she had to get some scalpicin because her got so bad. peace to you with this.

i love my natural hair.

Neosoul
11-04-2005, 02:23 PM
I've been through the same thing as you. Been to the dermatologist, tried every medicated shampoo known to man, but last weekend I think I hit the jackpot with this homemade recipe. Usually, by the end of the week, itchies are driving me crazy, but this week I'm getting nothing but :wub: from my scalp and my hair.

My disclaimer is, I don't know if it'll work for you, but you're more than welcomed to try it.

Recipe:

5 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel (I have the GNC brand)

1 tablespoon, pure avocado oil

2 tablespoons pure honey (organic)

I mixed all the ingredients together with a spoon, then applied to my scalp using a cotton ball. After the whole scalp was covered, I applied the rest of it to my hair from root to end.

I put a plastic cap on my head for about 45 mins, then washed with Selebrex (my current itchies shampoo) and conditioned as usual.

I know the ingredients worked their magic. My hair and scalp are still thanking the hell outta me.

This weekend, I'm going to try it with regular shampoo and see if the results are the same; I'll then be able to verify that is was really the treatment and not the Selebrex that did the trick. I'm already convinced since I've been using Selebrex for 2 months, but the scientist in me says to test it again with a different shampoo so I can kick that drying Selebrex to the curb. :D

See if this can help you.

-Nicky-

masoesa
11-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I just solved the exact same problem. Out of the blue my scalp was itching no matter what. I was only using my own all natural homemade recipe. Then I discovered that I am allergic to aloevera.

I often buy a leaf at the supermarket and scoop out the gel for recipes. I kind of knew it because I would break out just a little when I use some of the fresh gel on my face so I thought it wouldn't be a problem on my scalp. Wrong, major itching. I stopped using this and the itching stopped.

So try not to use anything after washing, see if your scalp still itches. If so, it might be the shampoo of course if not use just one product see if it itches and so on.

When was your last chemical fire cream? Because if it's not the products nor the shampoo it might be that the last touch up irriated your scalp seriously.
Good luck and keep us posted.

justnappygirl
11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
This almost sounds like a problem that goes beyond products. I have itchy scalp too, but I don't think it's as severe...well my scalps sore but I think because it's dry :dunno: .

Petroleum jelly makes my scalp itch (and anything that includes it as an ingredient) because it's a drying agent. One thing that helps to releave the itching instantly is when I dab my scalp (throughout) with WITCH HAZEL before I precondition with MAYO. Afterwards I NO POO with a conditioner that's very "slick" (Suave, V05, etc) vigorously (a couple times), then I rinse, towel blot & use olive oil on my scalp.

I really hope this is a non-serious issue for you. I know what it's like to not be free of the itchies for long periods of time...it can blow one's mind :( ....prayerfully, the options that our sistas contributed will be a cure all. Best Wishes :hug:

reciprocity81
11-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by chocolatethunder@Oct 22 2005, 03:44 PM

I had the same problem right after I BC'D. I use soft and beutiful botanicals anti-itch scalp cream, it works to stop the itches almost immediately and it smells really good. :wub: The active ingredient is .52% hydrocortisone, that put me off a little at first but it works really well.

ejfel
11-16-2005, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by reciprocity81+Nov 15 2005, 05:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-chocolatethunder@Oct 22 2005, 03:44 PM
I&#39;m not sure where to post this, but I think I&#39;m in the right forum. I have extremely itchy scalp. There&#39;s no dandruff or abnormalities on the scalp it just itches so bad it feesl like I&#39;m going crazy. I&#39;ve tried every ant- dandruff shampoo there is and nothing helps. I&#39;ve even been to the dermatologist and she gave me a shampoo but that didn&#39;t work. My next appointment is in two months but I can&#39;t wait that long. Has anyone here ever experienced that before and if you have what did you do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem right after I BC&#39;D. I use soft and beutiful botanicals anti-itch scalp cream, it works to stop the itches almost immediately and it smells really good. :wub: The active ingredient is .52% hydrocortisone, that put me off a little at first but it works really well.

[/b]
lol, I thought hydrocortisone was the thing used to cure athlete&#39;s foot? How safe is that for your scalp? I am having problems with itching scalps too, washing it twice a week helps some. If only I had the time to wash and condition it everyday ^_^ , but then again, I don&#39;t want to dry out my hair and scalp by washing too frequently. I had planned on going to the dermatologist too, hopefully by before the New Years.

awooof
11-16-2005, 11:43 AM
What a great thread! I&#39;ve had this problem since I moved from Boston to Lagos, Nigeria earlier this year. I&#39;ve also been afflicted with what I believe is some allergy-related itching on my skin. While my skin-itching problem comes and goes, my scalp-itching tends to happen about 5-6 days after my last wash. So, in my case, I believe the hot climate and resultant sweating means that I just need to wash more. However, if it gets worse I will try some of the suggestions here.

liskassa
11-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I also use hydocotisone when I have itchy scalp. BTW, hydocotisone is used on the skin for rashes irritations, psoriasis, etc. It seems that if i put anything on my scalp, even olive oil, my scalp itches. Also, what do you use on your hair, could be an allergy. Do you use incense or airspray in your house? My head was itching like crazy one day and I couldn&#39;t figure out why until I realized I was spraying my home with an air freshner and it was settling on my head and causing an allergic reaction!

coilyC
11-21-2005, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by liskassa@Nov 20 2005, 09:02 PM
I also use hydocotisone when I have itchy scalp. BTW, hydocotisone is used on the skin for rashes irritations, psoriasis, etc. It seems that if i put anything on my scalp, even olive oil, my scalp itches. Also, what do you use on your hair, could be an allergy. Do you use incense or airspray in your house? My head was itching like crazy one day and I couldn&#39;t figure out why until I realized I was spraying my home with an air freshner and it was settling on my head and causing an allergic reaction!

I understand what everyone is saying about the itching and I do have excema this I know and have had it every since I was a baby and soI have had all kinds of allergy test for skin and some foods. the doctors say that excema after all these years still seems to baffle medical science unbelievably. therefore I know to stick with very organic natural plant and fruit derivatives. Its so tricky because if you do no- oil its too dry and if you do some or any oil maybe itching and most anti -dandruff shampoos dry my hair and skin out terribly. So I stick with distilled water, vinegar and bakingsoda as my staples.There are so many benefits to using baking soda because it is a very mild clean, fresh, natural cleanser . Just have to use it the right way.