PDA

View Full Version : Do Africans Eat Noodles?

CatSuga
10-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok, me and my friend from Nigeria was riding on the bus in ATL and I was telling him about the 4000yr old bowl of noodles discovered in Asia.
He doesn't believe it and says that the Asians are making this up because they always want to be the first/the best.

Then I brought up how the earliest map of Africa was found in China.
He says that that is bullsh** and if these Chinese were walking around Africa, it would be in recorded history somehow. Then I mention that the first Chinese were African.

So we came to the conclusion that a African man maped Africa and it was stolen by Arabs then sold to the Asians. :rolleyes:

Anyway. We go back to aguring on the bus about who invented noodles first, Europeans or Asian.

Then I tell him that he's right because the Chinese don't eat bread so Europeans had to have traded the noodle science to the Asians first.

Everyone in the back of the bus looks at me like ;)
Then they think about it..................the Chinese sure don't eat or have bread. So now everyone trying to figure out if the China has bread and do the Chinese eat bread now.

Then I ask my Nigerian friend to Africans eat noodles.
The entire back of the bus chimes in, "OH HELL NO!!!" ;)
He give me this look of pure disgust and starts dogging noodles for the rest of the bus ride.

So now I'm wondering to Africans have or eat noodles. ;)

Is this sinificant in any sort of way?

Mae
10-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Okay I did a quick survey of two African cookbooks and one Jamaican cookbook. I found no recipies that include noodles. It is a very interesting question though IMO.

PrincessDrRe
10-23-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm weak because the whole bus hollered....

Hell no!

Ama
10-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Well I can't speak for all africans but I don't recall them eating noodles in Ghana or Togo .

Scribetastic
10-24-2005, 06:25 AM
From what I know European explorers discovered noodles in China and brought them back to Europe. In fact, when I'm teaching here, I like to see how many Koreans know that. Surprisingly, not many do.

Unfortunately for your friend, the story as historians tell it now is that Asians were first on the noodle issue.

Blackstar
10-24-2005, 10:20 AM
lawd have mercy...cat suga...*shakes head*

noodles are sold everywhere in nigeria. lots of it. probably too much. there's a huge asian company importing a popular brand of fast, noodles. you know the kind with the satchet of unhealthy seasoning in it. it's fast and cheap esp when you are broke.

at my nigerian boarding school making noodles as an in btwn mealtime snack was what everyone did.

my mom bought rice noodles and all kinds of chinese noodles for stir frys and chicken noodle casseroles.

so i really don't know what your friend's talking about. then again...there are all kinds...

vicchnu
10-24-2005, 02:44 PM
i thought eveyone knew that noodles came from Asia. Why try to steal their propts. Heck ain't nothing like some ramen when you down to your last dollar.

krenaye76
10-24-2005, 04:02 PM
CatSuga, I'm glad you asked. I asked a friend from Swaziland the other day and she was like..."hmmm...good question." LOL!

So the verdict so far is that some Africans eat noodles?

Mae
10-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by krenaye76@Oct 24 2005, 11:02 AM
CatSuga, I'm glad you asked. I asked a friend from Swaziland the other day and she was like..."hmmm...good question." LOL!

So the verdict so far is that some Africans eat noodles?

Maybe we can say Africans eat noodles in other people's cultural dishes (Chinese or Italian food) or for economic purposes (Ramen Noodles), but there are no "traditional" African noodle dishes???

binti
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
I am not sure about all Africans. But in my country, a politician married a korean lady and started a noodle business called Kuguru noodles. Dont know if they are popular.

uzuri
10-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Noodles as far as I know are not a traditional Afrikan dish....But I love them! I have some Asian friends (Philipinos) who make great noodles dishes...I even make one particular dish with egg noodles, and it´s one of my favs! :P I would choose noodles over rice any time! :P

sonce
10-24-2005, 08:12 PM
I love to cook and Nigerian food is my specialty...as far as I know, noodles aren't historically a part of West African cuisine (more and more they are, but that's due to outside influence). I can't speak for North, East, Central or South Africans though.

binti
10-24-2005, 10:05 PM
In Kenya , a politcian married a Korean lady and they started a noodle making business. I dont know if the noodles were popular

Originally posted by uzuri@Oct 24 2005, 07:41 PM
Noodles as far as I know are not a traditional Afrikan dish....But I love them! I have some Asian friends (Philipinos) who make great noodles dishes...I even make one particular dish with egg noodles, and it´s one of my favs!* :P I would choose noodles over rice any time! :P

detshorty05
10-24-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm Nigerian, and I'm pretty sure that we did not eat any african "noodles" while I was growing up. Do they have ramen noodles over there? Yes. Do people buy them? no

republicrat
10-25-2005, 12:57 AM
:lol:

hathor6
10-25-2005, 04:28 AM
African noodles. :lol:

I got another question. Do Africans eat hog mawls?

*SupaSista*
10-25-2005, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by hathor6@Oct 24 2005, 11:28 PM
African noodles. :lol:

I got another question. Do Africans eat hog mawls?

i just laughed so hard that i pooted a lil' bit!!! :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :lol: :lol:

:unsure:

KnappilyMe
10-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by rkwalton@Oct 24 2005, 02:25 AM
From what I know European explorers discovered noodles in China and brought them back to Europe. In fact, when I'm teaching here, I like to see how many Koreans know that. Surprisingly, not many do.

Unfortunately for your friend, the story as historians tell it now is that Asians were first on the noodle issue.

Um this irks me.. How the hell can they discover something that has already been in existance and created by another culture of people. That statment makes it seem as though the europeans were the first to ever see a damn noodle and introduced it to the world for the greater good of man :rolleyes:

blksnflwr
10-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Never had them in a Yoruba dish yet. Or a Ghanaian one. However, love to cook them in Italian ones.

naijamodel
10-28-2005, 01:43 AM
nope, not traditionally. when spaghetti first came to west africa, people called it "worms" and thought it was the most disgusting thing in the world... now people eat them and enough ramen too!

republicrat
10-28-2005, 01:55 AM
SupaSista, I laughed so hard at your post that I almost vomited. You almost injured me with that one. :lol:

ThinBreaksUK
10-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Last time I was in Ghana 4yrs ago all I was given to eat was noodles for lunch and dinner as if they were going out of style :lol: I doubt there are any traditional noodle dishes in Ghana will have to find out but they definitely sell them in African countries ^_^