PDA

View Full Version : Follow the Drip! Follow the Drip!......

AbelYah
12-05-2003, 09:04 PM
I have a really thought provoking question (I guess).

Why do people still feel they have to get a Wave Nouveau or Carefree Curl of something of that nature?!?! I "hear" people say , "Ooh I want one," or ask questions about it as if interested. Or-- when I grow myhair out Iwill get one. (stop the presses!!!)

I thought that *stuff* was out of style. You'll get laughed at in my area of the country for having ANY kind of juicy curl obtained through chemical process.

I used to have one myself, and believe me, natural hair is easier to take care of. There is a reliance on the juice to keep hair presentable. :-?

AbelYah-Salome Kohath-Levi

Papillion
12-05-2003, 09:07 PM
That IS out of style. That's SO 1980's.
But self hatred, it seems, is never out of style, although it should be.

Ipanema
12-05-2003, 09:12 PM
In my town, I see a lot of older & elderly people still wearing the curl & wave nouveau. I had one myself for quite a while & was teased about it. For those who don't want to give up the chemicals & have no intention of dealing with their natural nappy hair, it's pretty low-maintenance compared to a relaxer.

diji
12-05-2003, 09:24 PM
I allowed myself to be talked into one a few years ago. Never did the touch up. It was too redundant. I may not have loose curls, but my tight ones can be moisturized and cute for cheaper and no juice dependency.

I made the mistake of saying that I wanted my coils to be softer and the stylists response was if that's what you want you gonna have to break that stuff down.

I'm not breaking nothing down anymore. All it did was break my hair off.

jada1111
12-05-2003, 10:32 PM
If that stuff feels anything like Sta-Sof-Fro then I don't know how they can stand it. Your shirt collars are always greasy and satin pillowcases get messed up big time. It IS out of style, but I think it depends on what part of the country your from too.

pookeylou
12-05-2003, 10:37 PM
As soon as I saw this post...I thought of the scene in "Coming to America" where the "S-Curl" Family sat on the couch and when they got up...the big grease spot was on the back of the sofa where there heads had touched it...

Why oh Why...did we ever think that was cute?

Laluna
12-05-2003, 10:37 PM
My question is...if you're gonna get a texurizer....Why not just get a perm? Same chemicals are involved :-/

sjdancer
12-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by pookeylou@Dec 5 2003, 03:37 PM
As soon as I saw this post...I thought of the scene in "Coming to America" where the "S-Curl" Family sat on the couch and when they got up...the big grease spot was on the back of the sofa where there heads had touched it...

Why oh Why...did we ever think that was cute?
:lol :lol

the80five
12-06-2003, 08:25 PM
I thought they were out of style too. :nohuh But so are those big ol' Kid 'n Play flat tops, and I still see those too. :lol

A girl in one of my classes (I'm a college freshman) who sits right in front of me has one. I get distracted just staring at the back of her head sometimes. Sometimes it looks really juicy and drippy, sometimes it looks crunchy and dry. I'm glad I missed most of the 80's cause dang ...

AbelYah
12-06-2003, 09:44 PM
I don't know.. I guess when one looks at it now, it just looks so unreal to look at. It looks played and as if they couldn't think of anything else to do with their hair.

Sta-Sof-Fro in my hair will soak in. it can start out very glyceriny but eventually soaks in and creates softness without the greasy collars. If you are sopping your hair with it, then yes it will just sit there. LOL!! I use a couple of pumps on each lock of hair then smooth it up and down then comb.

But I will say my hair doesn't depend on it as if it were some kind of hair juice fiend!

AbelYah-Salome Kohath-Levi

skegee94
12-06-2003, 10:23 PM
One of my best friends could probably use one, instead of what she's doing now, which is to have a full on relaxer, but carry a spray bottle around, spritzing all day, to keep a wet look. It's ridiculous, and her hair looks like seaweed. I wonder if she'd be offended if I suggested wave nouveau?? Kidding.
But here in NYC, I see a lot of older women with the jheri curl-look. That was by far the dumbest thing black folks ever did to their hair. Go through all that processing and all that nasty maintenance, to have curly hair?? Hello!! Your hair is curly, genius! I'm glad I escaped that madness, although I did have a relaxer, which is its own special class of dumb. I look forward to the day when perms are out of style! Wishful thinking?
Where do you even go to get a curl these days? These people must be sticking with the same stylists they had back in the eighties. I can't imagine going into a salon for the first time and asking for curl.

Lagina
12-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Papillion@Dec 5 2003, 06:07 PM
That IS out of style. That's SO 1980's.
But self hatred, it seems, is never out of style, although it should be.
It really should be :thumbsup

pfenix
12-07-2003, 01:05 AM
We think it's out of style, but my local Sally's have tons of this stuff so we know someone's using it :) I seldom see 'curl wearers, but juice slicks abound on the some of the bus windows for lines that run in the blacker parts of town.

If you watch this movie (http://rtsp://64.156.1.75/urban/sf/middlepassagenroots/MiddlePassageNRoots200.rm), there's a female judge that explains why she still wears a curl despite her brother's teasing.

I wasn't a particular fan of my messy curls, but I wore them because it was easier to spray that chemically induced 3b than it was to keep relaxed hair frizz free 'n straight and having to bump the ends or roll it so my straight hair did something other than cling to my scalp.