PDA

View Full Version : The 4-5 inches of hair blues

mariam
12-06-2003, 01:23 AM
My hair is no longer a short and sassy twa, nor can I get it into a cute pony puff yet. If I want a really nice style, I have to take 2-3 hours doing twists or braids. Are there any quick and cute styles for me at this in between stage?

Hamira
12-06-2003, 01:27 AM
afro-puff

puchi
12-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Not really. Im in the same boat as you girl. I usually twist it at night, then i wear a twist out, in a curly, chunky fro way. i tried to put it into a pony puff, but when i turn my head to the side, i look like im sporting a flat top...lol...i guess we in-between people just have to pray that thid stage is over....i wish you luck!!! STAY STRONG!

--puchi

Shanna
12-06-2003, 01:31 AM
I'm at that stage and it isn't giving me blues yet, I'm glad! :) You can check my album. I wear puffs, fros, twist-outs, twists, bantus, and some other styles. My puffs look decent, I think... and there's always the pseudo puff where you don't push the headband back that far, so it looks really full. :thumbsup

starla73
12-06-2003, 02:54 AM
yep! I'm at this stage too. I usually wear a wide homade hairband with stretchy material that I bought. I like twists sometimes, but it takes too long to do. but these are my current styles with my 3-4 (maybe pushing 5) inches...

headband with fro in back

blowdry and twirl sections after a wash and set them on clips for a full bushy look

head wrap made into a bun

thinner homeade hairband (or you can use a phhb or something thin) pull it back as far as you like and buy a rhinstone clip (like i did...99cents!) or a flower and add to the side. with some hoop earrings........CUTE!

.....i'll be glad when I can wear two french braids with a part in the middle. I could really dress that look up for work.

i'm sure there are other great styles out there for our length, but you're right...this IS a weird stage.

peace and love!

darkgoddes
12-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Shanna@Dec 5 2003, 09:31 PM
I'm at that stage and it isn't giving me blues yet, I'm glad! :) You can check my album. I wear puffs, fros, twist-outs, twists, bantus, and some other styles. My puffs look decent, I think... and there's always the pseudo puff where you don't push the headband back that far, so it looks really full. :thumbsup
I do the same thing.

HuGrad2002
12-06-2003, 05:12 AM
when I was at that stage, I usually wore a puff (with a stocking headband)

LaLa*
12-06-2003, 07:03 AM
before i even opened this post i said to myself... i am in the same boat

for now i am going to keep up my twists and give them tender loving care... you are not alone

elleebeme5
12-06-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm at that stage but I can't yet do a puff! I can push my hair back off my forehead but I can't push it up from neck and still have enough hair left to make a puff.

I really want to get it cornrowed, wear a wig during winter and pray I had about 8 inches of hair when I take the wig off in the Spring. Too bad it won't work but wouldn't it be nice?

thighslikewhat
12-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Last time measeured I was at 5 inches. If I can do it ladies you can too. I was doin my pony puff at like 2-3 inches lol. One thing that helps is stretching. Have you guys tried banding and/or braiding at night? That's what helps me

ini
12-06-2003, 02:27 PM
i'm with thighs...i was puffing when the puff wasn't a puff really :lol. i'm at 5 - 6 inches also. I like twists or braids but a puff is a fail safe do! just remember to moisturize in these dryer months

Deej
12-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm at the same stage, I just wet and go most days but seeing that it's really cold now and I am getting tired of wetting everyday. I'm going to try banding and then twists tonight. Hopefully it will last me a week or two.

Got to go look at more albums for inspiration.

skegee94
12-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Today I found a hair on the sink that looked pretty long (and so coily and cute!), so I decided to measure it, and it was six inches long! And it didn't even have the root on it (uh oh). It wasn't that long ago that I was lamenting my in-between hair, but I feel like my hair is really versatile right now.
So, just wait a few months, and you'll find yourself on the tail-end of that awkward stage, never to return (unless you choose)! When my hair was at 4 inches, I just wore a chunky Afro. I considered it a really full twa, instead of a really short puff. I didn't like to wear headbands at that time. I was like, "What am I pulling back? My hair ain't hardly fallin' down over my eyes!" Just my personal preference. Enjoy your full, wash-n-go fro.

jetcitygirl
12-06-2003, 03:40 PM
At that length I would wear wet bantu knots with plenty of HHB applied and let them dry overnight. In the morning my hair was still damp enough to curl on the ends and I would hold it back with haircombs into a sort of puff. I was so happy to reach that length because I finally had enough hair to pull back (kinda sorta).

Kadeepoo
12-06-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm at that length now and I just mostly cornrow braid the front and wear a puff in the back. I sometimes add a headband too.

Honeycomb
12-06-2003, 05:26 PM
I liked to do fingercurls with my hair when it was this length. My hair doesn't look good in twists or braids, but fingercurls looked great with my hair. Just take small sections of wet hair, put a little gel on it, and twist with your finger all the way to the root and it curls. Do it all over your head and I found that it would last me a week if I kept it covered at night.

inkysphinx
12-06-2003, 10:58 PM
I'm also at 4-5" and feelin' the blues. . .but I did notice that braiding my hair at night stretches my hair. Then I can wear a higher BSHB puff. If I did a wet and go puff now, I'd look like a dayum fool. . . :nohuh

:lol

Missymed
12-07-2003, 02:32 AM
I'm also at this stage. I do twists, twist-outs, and I also just started using the bra-strap head-bands.

nap2bfree
12-07-2003, 02:40 AM
:doh I thought i was the only one having this problem>

i have been trying to do the twa afro but is looking raggedy because of the length and people always wanting to touch it (putting dents in it) :oops: i always pick my hair out because i have various textures all over my head( some curly< straight<waveyet>>) that it looks untamed)

I have done coils 3 times and they look good but, I can&#39;t keep my hands out of my head. I have coils now and I am going to try and make them last 3 weeks or my friend does such a good job on them I know they will last that long. as long as I sit on my hands :lol

After these coils I think I am going to get some twist extentions put in for the winter

Napfree

stillwater09
12-07-2003, 02:43 AM
hi ladies,
i remember oh so well this stage! my signature style was a headband or this

http://public.fotki.com/Stillwater09/locin...ber/ftpuff.html (http://public.fotki.com/Stillwater09/locin_up/stage_2_june-december/ftpuff.html)

flat twists going into a puff. it gives the illusion of length lol (and i and not gifted enough to cornrow...this style is for the braiding skillz challenged)

i also wore single strand twists thatwere cute but quick to loc!

good luck!

oh if that link doesn&#39;t work, its in stage 2 of my locin album, password is below, and there should be a few other styles in there too.

LaLa*
12-07-2003, 02:45 AM
So with all these people that twist up their hair at night and provide moisture to their hair more than usual, how often do you wash or clarify your hair?

blestnaps
12-07-2003, 04:01 AM
Honeycomb, what product did you use to do the fingercurls?

micahlee
12-07-2003, 04:13 AM
My hair is also in the in between stage, about 4.5 inches. Quick styles for me includes flat twists in the front and med-sized twists in the back, twist outs are also funky at this stage. I usually twist my hair small in hopes it will last for about 2 weeks. Sometimes it&#39;s worth the time to twist your hair small, its less work for a while. Hope that helped.... Good Luck :thumbsup

thighslikewhat
12-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by LaLa*@Dec 7 2003, 03:45 AM
So with all these people that twist up their hair at night and provide moisture to their hair more than usual, how often do you wash or clarify your hair?
Gurl when I first went natural I was washing (no-poo) two-three times a week and clarifying once a month. Now between my 40+ hours and night classes it&#39;s when ever I get a dayum break! :lol

Happy2BNappy
12-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Mariam,

I totally feel what you&#39;re saying. Right now I wear a wash n&#39; go puff. Occasionally I&#39;ll wear a wash n&#39; go. Tomorrow I&#39;m going to sit down and while watching football try some two-strand twists. It&#39;s gotten rather cold down in here in FL so I&#39;m looking to try something new for winter.

londongrrrl
12-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Oh, and I forgot the fro of course! And plenty of out styles!

londongrrrl
12-07-2003, 11:21 AM
My first post didn&#39;t go through! In short, I love that length as it is versatile and easy to deal with and I&#39;ve been keeping my hair at 4-6.5 inches for the past 8 years or so.
Staple styles: afropuff, two french braids and scarf do
more time: braids, twists
also: cornrows

divaemeritus
12-07-2003, 11:24 AM
I&#39;m looking for all the hints I can get! I&#39;ve gotten close to 4 inches twice this year... and out of pure boredom I chopped it all off again! Maybe one of these days I&#39;ll be able to stick it out.

When my hair grows out to 3-4 inches, it just looks like a chunkier, curlier fro... actually, most folks look at my hair from a distance and think I have single strand twists in it.

inkysphinx
12-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by LaLa*@Dec 6 2003, 10:45 PM
I clarify/conditioner wash once a week with a couple of rinses in between. . .I guess it&#39;s working so far. Oh yeah, and I shampoo once a month.

Melissa19f
12-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by thighslikewhat@Dec 6 2003, 07:24 PM
Last time measeured I was at 5 inches. If I can do it ladies you can too. I was doin my pony puff at like 2-3 inches lol. One thing that helps is stretching. Have you guys tried banding and/or braiding at night? That&#39;s what helps me
For real Thighslikewhat!! Me too. I only have five and maybe six inches of hair in some places. I&#39;ve been sporting a puff for the longest, even when my hair was 3-4 inches. I have to admit I was blowdrying at first because shrinkage makes it difficult to get a nice puff. Nonetheless, I&#39;ve stopped blowdrying and I can still get a puff. The key is using either a pantyhose hairband or a scarf. Don&#39;t expect to be able to pull your hair tight together like you would a plaited ponytail on straight hair. You have to improvise and work with the illusion. :-) Banding or braiding is a good healthy way to stretch out your hair. Or you might start out with a small puff but keep working with it through the week until it stretches out everyday, little by little.

I use a brown colored scarf that matches my hair. I use a bit of IC Fantasia to slick my edges down (this helps keep the shorter pieces down and uniform) and I tie the scarf around my edges and slide it back until I get the desired sized puff. Then I tie so that the scarf stays in place. I tease out and pull my hair so the scar is concealed and all you see is a fabulous puffed out fro!!

If I can do it, I know you can do it too.

:-)

KinkyCoils
12-07-2003, 04:46 PM

I "wash" twice a week, sometimes only once. I clarify once a month.

As for styles, I have 4-5/6" of hair and I don&#39;t feel the blues. I&#39;m having fun! When I was a TWA I couldn&#39;t wait for my hair to grow some, but to me now is the best. I do twists (outs), banding, bantu knots, puffs, cornrowing. I think there&#39;s still a lot you can do with your hair at this stage.

mariam
12-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I&#39;m really feelin&#39; the flat twists or cornrows in the front and fro in the back suggestions. That style sounds really cute and fast. I think I&#39;ll try it today.

naturalpeach
12-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Hey Sis,
Another option is Two-strand twist. They can last long (if you&#39;re not a heavy sleeper) and after several days you can release them for a twist out. Good luck and may the Natural Blessings be upon you. :)

LPB

Jessy55
12-07-2003, 09:40 PM
I have not read all 3 pages of this thread, but I&#39;d recommend you check the albums with the gals with your hair length. I just looked at SiennaSilk album, and she does beautiful things with her hair.

naturalpeach
12-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Jessy55@Dec 7 2003, 05:40 PM
I just looked at SiennaSilk album, and she does beautiful things with her hair.
SiennaSilk does have a beautiful album with some beautiful styles. Her groeth rate is amazing also.

LPB

Gloria
12-07-2003, 10:25 PM
I am where you are right now and my signature style is the twist out. Works for me.

RaLuvsRed
12-08-2003, 09:36 AM
I am at the same stage. I recently did another chop. When I first transitioned I bypassed this stage because I wore cornrows. I find myself forced to wear a band around my hair with a puff in the back. See my webpage (http://public.fotki.com/raluvsred).

I am thankful to find other sisras going through what I am. You all give me hope and ideas. Most of all, I think its about having patience. I find myself wishing for hair growth so I can get passed this awkward in-between-stage. I guess with time and hair-TLC this too shall pass.

mariam
12-08-2003, 02:56 PM
how do i find sienna silk&#39;s site ?

nastarual
12-08-2003, 02:58 PM
i haven&#39;t measured my hair... ever, so i don&#39;t know how long it is. but i&#39;m started to get frustrated with headbands, i want a REAL puff!!! but i&#39;ll be okay, after all, i only chopped in august.

mariam
12-08-2003, 03:42 PM
you feel my pain...