PDA

View Full Version : Knots And Tangles And Breakage Oh My!

spartandiva04
11-02-2005, 11:50 PM
So I have parts of my hair that are "long", while I have other areas that always seem to become tangled and then they end up breaking off!!!!

What do you all do to comb out knots and prevent them from ruining the growth that you have?

bighair20
11-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Good question, I am going to start trimming my hair at least every 6 weeks.

I don't it can be prevented.

Debonaire
11-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by carmennc@Nov 2 2005, 09:37 PM
Since it gotten cooler, I'm plaiting my hair at night in four big plaits so that it won't tangle so badly. I am able to finger comb it in the morning.

I've been having the same problem since it got colder. I'm starting to wash my hair less and as a result I don't get a chance to detangle as much. I just make sloppy braids in my hair and then run conditioner over them just like I were lotioning my skin. Then I wrap it up and in the morning finger style.

I'm doing this for now so I can see how it works opposed to just cutting an inch or more off which might not be damaged but just in need of some tlc. :wub:

_Empress_
11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Apart from the combing techniques...I find braiding or twisting my hair in large sections at night helps reduce knotting :)

BreezySeas
11-03-2005, 12:57 PM
My hair is still short but it is just easier on me to condition wash daily even the cold months and I pick my hair daily. I have thick hair and it takes me 10 mintutes to detangle. But hey I never have knots or tangles but if I went with out combing my hair for a week or days I would have a mess on my hands. When my hair is longer I will have to put it in big twists or something at night. My hair is so coily that my hair that is 3 inches longs coils to an (o). I have a very tight curl pattern in some areas. In other areas it is a breeze to pick through.

NATURALEE
11-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I had this battle with my hair when I first went natural five years ago, I didn't trim my hair for the first couple of years and the results after I gained length was terrible knots, breakage and spilt ends. These are a few things that I learned to do which help ease the problem. I hope this helps. Stay on this site and visit often and over time you will learn a great deal. Good luck.

1. Trim every 4wks need or not.
2. Use large comb and pick to always, always gently comb/untangle my hair in 4 to 6 section and plait for the night if wearing it in any puff style, I also use this same method to do twist.
3. Always condition my hair weekly for about 30 minutes, deep condition once a month 1 hour or more.
4. Always use a moisturzing spray on my ends.
5. A great deal of patience.

spartandiva04
11-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Okay, I used mane and tale conditioner and their detangler. I was really busy the last month w/ exams, so I hadn't comb through it in a month (i know i know), so I took out a nice bit of hair during the comb out. Afterwards though, I put it in twist and it has a nice little sheen, so I think I will continue to use the mane and tale conditioner and detangler and make sure to wash every week!

In terms of trimming. . . how do you do that? I was just thinking of trimming the ends of my twist every 6 wks or so. . . but how do others do it?

MsPebbles
11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I use to have this problem. The hair in the center top of my hair of my head would shrink and tie itself into knots. I had uneven hair because I was constantly cutting them out. I don't have this problem anymore. I guess it was a phase. I got through it by putting the part that tangled in plaits at night when I slept or was laying around the house. This would reduce the opportunity for it to shrink and knot up. When my hair was styled I would put extra/heavy oils or conditioners on the ends of the hair when the bad knotting would occur. I figured that if I weighed the hair down in that area it would be too heavy to knot. Anyway, I don't have to do any of the above anymore because the knots just STOPPED. :dunno:

malissann
11-05-2005, 01:27 PM
When my hair was loose, I'd two-strand twist or braid my hair at night, condition, and trim. I sometimes pulled out the tangles with my fingers, but I know that's a non-no.

Jewells
11-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I had been having this problem a lot. Made me want to cut my hair and start over.

Last week I had my hair blow dried straight. I went home and cut off all of the knotted ends. Last night I parted my hair in four sections, washed and conditioned in the four sections, then twisted my hair with Elasta QP Mango Butter. My hair feels so much better. I can't keep my hands out of it.

From now on I will not go to bed with a fro. It must be twisted or something if I plan to wear it out the next day. Sleeping on my hair without any protective method caused most of my knots, which turned it to split ends, that broke off.

I will also continue washing in four sections. I noticed that way my hair in the middle was fully cleaned and conditioned.

And my hair will be trimmed on a more consistent basis.

These methods worked for me. Hopefully you will have the same results.

vicchnu
11-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't go near a comb. It just wasn't made with the napps in mind. I style my hair with my fingers only and use a brush for gathering my hair when i wear puffs. But i find when i conditon well my hair do not tangle.

Debonaire
11-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by spartandiva04@Nov 4 2005, 08:54 AM
In terms of trimming. . . how do you do that? I was just thinking of trimming the ends of my twist every 6 wks or so. . . but how do others do it?

Well you can do what Jewells was saying....get it blow dried and then cut. I wouldn't recommend doing it too frequently though because you are making your hair fragile and prone to more breakage by applying heat.
You can also just twist your hair, like a protective style, and then before you take it out snip the ends (this is what I do two birds with one stone).
I guess you could also just grab chunks of hair, comb through (with conditioner) and then feel for the ends that are crispy or rough and then clip.

:dunno: I dunno I'm sure anyway you want to do it is fine and if you cut off too much it's only a matter of time before it grows back and atleast you know it will be healthy.

hotshot
11-10-2005, 04:34 AM
this has been my constant constant problem. my hair has thinned and keeps breaking due to tangles. its been around the same length for years now, quite depressing. i find when its my shedding season, its best to get braids or twists because the shed hair is usually what creates the worst tangles. its been a challenge for me to keep length. the ends just keep tangling off.

ReginaCarter
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I think that can caused by the cold season and stress..I use to detangle in the shower with alot of Pantene Hydracurls rinse and before drying myhair I put a dab Afrca s Best Olive Oil and Clove or CD Hair Milk.

ReginaCarter
11-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I think that can caused by the cold season and stress..I use to detangle in the shower with alot of Pantene Hydracurls rinse and before drying myhair I put a dab Afrca s Best Olive Oil and Clove or CD Hair Milk.