PDA

View Full Version : I've Got A Problem

starrock
11-03-2005, 05:31 AM
OK...

I generally keep my hair in an afro and I get my hair braided (cornrows) from time to time. I had my hair braided 3 weeks ago by my cousin and took them out today (not really because they weren't neat but because my hair was building up oil and it needed a good wash). so I unbraid my hair and pic it out. while picking I notice myself getting a number of full sized hairs clinging to the pic...roots and all. By the time I'm done I've amassed this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Starrock/hairball.jpg

a tennis ball sized clot of hair (from all over my head...not from one place). i feel this tennis balled sized mass of hair is one tennis ball too much for my liking. Can anyone explain what happened/caused this? i suspect maybe my hair was braided too tight but it didn't really feel all that tight to me when it was done. i want to continue getting my hair braided in the future but would not like to if this will continue to happen. i was really kind of taken back as this was the largest amount of hair lost in a picking. I mean, yea, I'm used to a few hairs coming out while picking but i normally end up with about a quarter size of the hairball seen above. any thoughts/solutions?

tdrmaquillage
11-03-2005, 05:40 AM
It just looks like all the shed that collected in your hair while it was braided. We shed something like 40-60 hairs per day normally. So if your hair is in a style where it can't shed, it'll just collect until the next time your hair is loose, if that makes sense. Ankywhoo, if you aren't seeing any thin/bald spots I wouldn't worry. It looks/sounds normal to me...

ETA: Nice hair! :)

- Tania :afro:

AuNappturale
11-03-2005, 05:52 AM
I think I remember reading someplace that we shed more hair in the winter. That doesn't make sense, though, since I would think we NEED more hair in the winter for warmth.

Try it again to see if you get a repeat. If so, I'd go see a dermatologist. That's quite a bit of hair, IMO.

Good luck.

Sekhmet
11-03-2005, 06:13 AM
NO PICKING OUT DRY HAIR! That's guaranteed to break off more hairs than necessary. And I've seen how you guys pick your hair. http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/cute_smileys/no.gif

I wouldn't worry too much. That's about 3 weeks worth of shed hair. Plus, like the other ladies said, we tend to shed more in the winter. And I find that braiding the hair for extended periods sort of makes the hair a little drier (which might also contribute to losing more whole hairs).

Don't panic. Watch out for the appearance of any bald/balding spots and see what happens next time.

LOL @ you for that pic, though! :P

birdflyingaway
11-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@Nov 2 2005, 11:13 PM
NO PICKING OUT DRY HAIR! That's guaranteed to break off more hairs than necessary. And I've seen how you guys pick your hair. http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/cute_smileys/no.gif

I wouldn't worry too much. That's about 3 weeks worth of shed hair. Plus, like the other ladies said, we tend to shed more in the winter. And I find that braiding the hair for extended periods sort of makes the hair a little drier (which might also contribute to losing more whole hairs).

Don't panic. Watch out for the appearance of any bald/balding spots and see what happens next time.

LOL @ you for that pic, though! :P

mmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmm! you're fine. it's natural. as long as you don't see bald spots you are fine... you should see my hair balls after i take down protective styles :shocker:

Only1biancab
11-03-2005, 08:58 AM
3 weeks + tennis ball = normal
Everyone sheds 50-100 strands a day. If the root was a part of the strand, that means it was coming out whether you had worn that style or not. Another one's already taken its place.

_Empress_
11-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I think that is normal for 3 weeks. If you collected all the hair you lost for 3 weeks when you're hair isn't braided, I'm sure it woudl add up tot he same amount. So provided this is not what you find occuring weekly you're still in safe waters.

Welcome to NP by the way :)

BreezySeas
11-03-2005, 01:51 PM
I do not know that is a lot of hair. I agree with the other posters it could just be shed hair since you have not combed your hair in 3 weeks. I would have been freaked that is why I do not wear braids me and my daughter never have good experiences. I would probably wear them a week max. Also if you picked your hair dry that could have caused more hair to come out. I have to always pick my hair wet and try to do it gently and girl I still get mad when I see 5 pieces of hair. Don't sweat it I may not do braids anytime soon and next time detangle your hair wet and be really gentle. :hug:

Poohbear215
11-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Only1biancab@Nov 3 2005, 04:58 AM
3 weeks + tennis ball = normal
Everyone sheds 50-100 strands a day. If the root was a part of the strand, that means it was coming out whether you had worn that style or not. Another one's already taken its place.

I agree with Only1biancab in the above quote. :afro:

NATURALEE
11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I recently experienced the same thing after I took my braids loose after 2 wks and I believe this was normal shedding.