PDA

View Full Version : Nexxus, Shea Butter, Sta Soft Fro KeraCare Humecto

Chimma
12-07-2003, 03:30 PM
I am a nappy haired 4a/4b sista that is sporting dry brillo like hair. All of a sudden the winter months are making my hair a lot more dry than it has previously been. I want a decent leave-in conditioner (kicking my Infusium 23 to the curb as it works well on the latter relaxed half of my head and not on the natural half), and I am asking you all what you have used to make your hair feel so moisturized that you don't have any complaints. I am a poor college girl so I don't have the cash to become a PJ, but if I have one good product, I am willing to stick to it even if it is expensive.

I have heard of so far
Nexxus Humectress
Sta Soft Fro
Shea Butter
KeraCare Humecto
S-Curl
Redken Extreme Anti-Snap
Redken Smooth Down

If you have tried any of these, please let me know how it worked. Do you have any complaints or still have any signs of dry, non soft, and brittle hair? Truly moisturizing, just greasy and sitting on top of your head, or takes a lot to get a little result? If you know of other miracle products, still share! Please also state your hair type - a 3 or 4 especially, and w/ the LOIS system if you can.
Please help a sista out! I know I can't cut until I have learned how to love my natural hair, and I can't love the dryness! It was all going semi- smoothly, and then I got to December and it seems my hair forgot whatever it learned!

AllThatHair
12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
I am on a modified no oil routine. After washing my hair, I apply olive oil. This keeps my hair and scalp moisturized for a week, until my next wash.

HTH

Chimma
12-07-2003, 10:34 PM
I use olive oil in my hair, but it doesn't moisturize my hair well enough at all! And I need to put a bunch in and get my hair greasy to get a decent effect!

Gloria
12-07-2003, 10:42 PM
I have 4b hair and the Sta Sof Fro leaves a sticky film on my hair. Blech!!! The shea butter is a winner. I haven't tried the other products that you have mentioned.

I use Elasta QP's Recovery, water, Cine's Sage and Sandlewood Moisturizing Cream (excellent), Creme of Nature Conditioning Shampoo, Suave Clarifying Shampoo, Suave Conditioner (forget which scent but it has Aloe Vera in it)....

Gloria
12-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Oh yeah, I am looking for the ingredients to Thigh's Rosemary Spritz and I am treating myself to Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter for Christmas...

undrea
12-07-2003, 10:46 PM
I have been using Elasta QP mango butter, shea butter and also Staysof Fro. I love all three. I just recently began using the Staysof and it really makes my fro so soft. I know that you don't want to be a product junkie, but you really will have to try a few things to see what does best on your hair. I consider my hair to be 4a, but it doesn't mean what works for one 4a will work for another. Anyways, I'm sure you'll find what your looking for, but I you still have relaxed ends, you probaly won't find a product that's going to work well on both types of hair.

pookeylou
12-07-2003, 11:47 PM
I am SO lovin the shea butter...

I did not think my hair could get softer....but shea butter proves it can...I use it on my bantu knot out...and my hair comes out shiny and super, super, super soft!!!

puchi
12-08-2003, 12:04 AM
I cant name one product...im having the same problem with dryness, but i can offer you the advice of no-pooing. That works well for me, espically due to my hard-water shower conditions. HTH!

--puchi

lavinea
12-08-2003, 01:12 AM
for me my hair hates shea butter it makes my hair feel thicker that it already is so i will swear by mango butter and sta sof fro forever and my hair wouldnt have it any other way.

Ezili
12-09-2003, 01:37 AM
I've used both Stay-so-fro and shea butter

The stay so fro made my hair feel REALLY soft, but also very coated. that didn't really bother me though casue I was washing my hair every three days at the time. One of the Major ingredients in Glycerine though, so you might want to do some nappturality thread digging about that. Aparently glycerine works by taking moisture out of the air and into your hair (hey that rhymes!), but if the air is dry that process goes into reverse, so check that out.

Right now I use the shea butter on my scalp. Not the commercial kind, cause that usually has a million other things mixed in with it (like mineral oil) so I use the unrefined stuff that you have to buy in lump form and melt down. (I got a lump for about 5 dollars in an independently owned beauty supply store)

Between the two, I'd go for the shea butter becasue it doesn't leave the sticky feeling sta-so-fro leaves.

Has anyone ever tried Hair Mayonaise? (i don't think that's how you spell it)

debsen
12-09-2003, 02:23 AM
With the cold weather, I have been using Sta Sof Fro (Rub In, in the tube...not the spray). After no-pooing, I use about a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil as a leave-in. I have a TWA, 4b hair and this works great for me: no dryness, I just rinse in the shower in the morning if the build up gets to be too much.

Hope this helps,

Deb

luvnme
12-09-2003, 12:52 PM
I am a product junkie and have used SEVERAl products to try and maintain moisture/add softness. I would guess that my hair is 4 a/b. Last night on a whim I bought some Sta Soft fro spray, and it worked really well on my hair. I saturated a section of my hair with the SSF, then I used some Frizz Ease Gel and it made my hair incredibly soft and very easy to comb. I was also surprised at how much my hair stretched after I applied the products! I decided to do an experiment with a few two-strand twists & different products. Surprisingly, none of my two-strands were as pretty, as soft, nor as long as the ones with the SSF/Frizz gel. When I took the twists out this morning, the twists with the SSF/Frizz Gel were really pretty and well formed. My twist outs are usually too frizzy & dry to wear as a style. Now I want to try twisting my entire head so that I can try wearing a successful twist out for a change. I'm so excited!
:)

Dolliesdaughter
12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
I agree that you should no poo. Do you still have relaxed ends? If so, when you cut them your hair will be better.

rkj223
12-09-2003, 05:18 PM
KeraCare = good schtuff

babygurl
12-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Alken I hope your right, b/c I am having the same thing ... I am wear braids now to recover from a bad hair style (That's a whole story in itself!!!)...

Chimma,
I have tried so many things! Butters, oils, grease, you name it, I tried it... but 3 things that work well for me are

1. Using olive oil and Profectiv mega growth cream mixed together

2. Regular conditoner mixed with water and olive oil has a leave in

3. applying MHZ Hi-gloss serum to hair when wet

Also try adding olive oil to your condtioners and use the honey/olive oil deep condtioner

dedicated
12-09-2003, 05:42 PM
I use Stay Soft Fro and I love it. It keeps my hair feeling soft and moisturized. My hair is 4/a (small coils) with some b strands, on the LOIS scale it's OS spongy.

I really don't have a problem keeping my hair feeling soft, but I do have problems with dryness at times. I love Nexxus Humectress, Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter, Full of Locks Hair Oil and I also use Samy's ( can be ordered through Home Shopping Network) Dry Hair System which works well too.

Another thing I do to keep my hair from drying out is no-pooing. Spritzing lightly with water helps too.

natural_butterfly4
12-09-2003, 06:04 PM
I just recently chopped. I was having the same problem with dry ,hard hair. :mad

I try to no-poo 3 times a week with Suave Creamy Coconut conditioner. :thumbsup

Moisterize with Mango Butter by Elasta QP- At first I didn't think this product worked. When I started to no-poo I noticed a big difference. :thumbsup

I also order some shea butter from health2go.com. I hope this works. :d)

awooof
12-09-2003, 06:10 PM
I recently started using unrefined mango and shea butter, which I bought from fromnaturewithlove.com. These 2 have been my staples since the weather turned colder. I have to say that I am loving both products. They make my hair extremly soft and keep them well moisturized.

curlyfae
12-09-2003, 06:47 PM
I keep my hair braided mostly in the winter. I use Profectiv products along with glycerin, conditioner, and water mixes when I do my braids/twists. I also conditioner wash (Suave or St. Ives conditioners) and deep condition once a week.

hotshot
12-09-2003, 08:49 PM
how many times a day do you moisturize? for me, moisturizing before bed usually means buildup or dryness in the morning, especially if i plait before bed. do you use moisturizers after using water? im looking for the right combination. . .