PDA

View Full Version : Do You Remember Your First Time . . .

Inspiration41Man
11-10-2005, 02:01 AM
October 2004, I decided that I would not relax my hair again. I transitioned for 6 months and then had the cut done 6 months later. There were so many days that I wanted another hit of chemical fire cream but I stayed strong and I am so happy. I still was not strong enough to wear my natural in public, especially at work. After viewing Ini's hair diary, I tried a braid out and I loved it! I decided that it was too nice to hide under a wig. I was so scared walking into work but everyone was so sweet and the compliments flowed like water. I felt like a princess. My white co-workers wanted to touch it and they seemed shocked that it was so soft. One black female co-workers told me that I was the perfect picture of a strong black woman and she wished she had GOOD hair to pull the natural thing off. Of course I directed her to this site and told her that we all have GOOD hair . . . we just have to learn to be good to our hair. Then it happened! I had another black female co-worker ask if it was all of my hair. I told her yes. She asked if she could touch it and while she was touching it, she made the comment that it looked so nappy but it was soft. I didn't hit her. I love my job. To me nappy is a compliment now but I know she did not mean it that way. Then, another black female co-worker tried to get a laugh from others by saying I looked like something straight from Africa as I walked by. I told her, "Thank You." I can't wait until tomorrow! :afro:

jmnappy
11-23-2005, 04:24 PM
In your case, the compliments outnumbered the negativity. That's how it was on my first day wearing my nappy hair. Just about all of my white coworkers liked it, but there was one black coworker who pulled one of my twists and called me, "Buckwheat." I told her politely that I wasn't checking for her plantation mentality, and it was cool from then on. One black bald guy called me Whoopi. I let that one slide because it wasn't the time or place to cut loose. That was more than 3 yrs ago.

A few months down the line, another black coworker who was hired on decided to give me unwanted advice on to get my hair "bone straight." Long story short, she assumed that nappy = dirty & I burst into laughter before I realized that she was serious. So, her feelings got hurt.

The other black coworkers just stared at me. Very impolite.

Nowadays, I get a lot more compliments from blacks and white.

LBellatrix
11-26-2005, 12:43 PM
10 years ago tomorrow I walked into my workplace with a TTWWA.

I was managing a very high-profile, high-stress project and had a staff of 25. The project had been going on for almost two years and was maybe a month away from ending. The project was on-site, and I was the only black woman on the team. In retrospect this probably wasn't the best time to chop one's hair down to 1/2". :lol:

But what can I say...I was fed up to HERE with r.elaxed hair, stylists, and salons and I just wanted it all over with as soon as possible.

I spent most of that weekend in shock until Sunday night, when I gave myself a very stern talking-to: You CANNOT trip about your hair in front of these white folks. You have to go in there wearing your hair like you MEAN it.

And that's exactly what I did the next day. And maybe it was because of my attitude, or the fact that I was the boss ;) ...but people either complimented me or had the common courtesy not to say anything. I didn't get any overt negativity at all.

FoxxyLocs
12-13-2005, 02:17 AM
On the day I bc'd I had to go directly from the salon to class and I was soooo scared. I'm in a program that's really conservative about appearance. We have a dress code and everything and our professors to not play. Plus only one of my classmates was natural at the time and she burnt her hair all the time. Add that to the fact that I had always had long, straight hair and you can see why I was expecting a lot of comments on my new fro :( Anyways, everybody actually liked it. This was only 3 months ago and since then press n' curl has started rockin' the naps, one girl bc'd, and 2 more are in transition so yay for nappy headed future pharmacists :P