PDA

View Full Version : Banding vs. Braiding

kris01
12-08-2003, 02:25 AM
Typically if I am going to wear my hair "out" I will try to braid it into about six braids before I go to bed as to stretch out my hair. I have seen a lot of posts/pictures about banding, and it seems as though it is a lot easier and quicker to just braid my hair at night. However, I was wondering if anyone has tried both, and if they notice dramatically different results from one way compared to the other? How much stretchage did you notice from one way as compared to the other? Which way was faster? Which was easier? & any other comments you might want to add.

Jams
12-08-2003, 02:30 AM
I have not tried the banding yet. I too braided my hair and saw it was 'stretched'. That was the first time I was able to put my hair in a puff. So I'm interested in this too :pop

thighslikewhat
12-08-2003, 03:05 AM
for me banding strectches the hair more. I braid when I want a "chunky" look. Another difference for me is that when I band my hair is not as full it sorta gives you blown out look.

Deseb2
12-08-2003, 03:15 AM
I find that banding gives me more stretch to my hair. Banding takes a longer time for me than braiding.

healthy
12-08-2003, 03:16 AM
How much hair do you band at a time? Is it loose hair or braided hair. I Never tried it so I would like detail instructions of doing it also. Is it better doing it wet or dry? why? I usually braid my hair at night but I want to try banding now to compare results. Thanks

z3000zee
12-08-2003, 03:45 AM
there was a time when i also braided my hair after shampooing. :-ba now i band it. i found my hair dries a lot faster and it is quicker to wrap that band around a section of hair than it is to braid it (by the way, my hair has some length to it).

another difference: banding does not leave waves in your hair.

thighslikewhat
12-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by healthy@Dec 8 2003, 03:16 AM
How much hair do you band at a time? Is it loose hair or braided hair. I Never tried it so I would like detail instructions of doing it also. Is it better doing it wet or dry? why? I usually braid my hair at night but I want to try banding now to compare results. Thanks
I do both. I band both loose and braided. You can look in my album for detailed instructions and pics

skegee94
12-08-2003, 03:06 PM
For me, banding is quicker. I don't have to try to work out all the tangles, like I do when I'm trying to plait. Banding stretches my hair out more than braiding, but I choose one or the other depending on the style I plan to do in the morning.
Chunky Afro: plait
Big Puff: band
The effect that banding has on the overall look of my hair is better for pulling it back (and I can pull it back farther) than for wearing it all out. And plaiting doesn't stretch it out enough for me to wear my puff as far back as I'd like.
I have between 5 and 6 inches of hair right now. Maybe it won't matter so much when I have more.

star0925
12-08-2003, 03:10 PM
I agree with others. Banding gives you a straighter look without heat. Braiding adds more texture to your hair.

I guess the answer to the question would be neither is better. They serve different purposes.

Deej
12-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Ok, I tried banding this weekend and it didn't come out right. Was I supposed to band all the way down to the end of the section? I ended up with a small section on the end while the top and middle part was banded. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When I took it out I was horrified because my ends were tangled. Maybe I should have used pantyhose instead of scrunchi bands.

lydicarol
12-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Deej@Dec 8 2003, 11:24 AM
Ok, I tried banding this weekend and it didn't come out right. Was I supposed to band all the way down to the end of the section? I ended up with a small section on the end while the top and middle part was banded. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When I took it out I was horrified because my ends were tangled. Maybe I should have used pantyhose instead of scrunchi bands.
Pantyhose is definitely gentler than scrunchi bands. Also i would recommend that you try using two bands if you can't cover the ends or you may wantt to twist the ends (I've done both). Another tip is to comb through before banding. Tangled hair while wet = Tangled hair while dry but much worse. I always comb or brush through after applying my product and before banding. HTH. :)

Deej
12-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Thanks, Lydi

I'll try twisting at the end. And I do think my sections were probably too big.

Jams
12-09-2003, 01:29 AM
Good luck Deej :thumbsup