PDA

View Full Version : Feel Like A Caucasion Who Woke Up Nappy!

Cameron1
11-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I had been texturizing my hair since December of last year. Still had a chemical fire cream, but texturing the ng. Transitioning, but did not even realize this. Anyway, I already had short hair. Could wear it spikey, or whatever. I was one of those sistas with the hair shaved up in the back. You know fried died and layed to the side.

Anyway, I was going to supercuts because it was way cheap, and I could maintain my hair, just couldn't shave up the back. REcently, the ldy cut my hair waaay shorter than I thought she would. She cut out all the chemical fire cream/weak chemical fire cream. Anyway, now I have a TWA.

I'm fine with that, I just don't know what to do with it. Don't know what products, what oil, no grease? Someone give me the basics on what products to get. I just want like 3-4 basic things to keep my hair manageable in my quest to remain napptural. TIA

BTW, it's a shame that I'm in my 30's and don't even know my real hair. To be this age, and have never had my hair in it's natural state is a crime. So y'all help me please.

Sette
11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Hey Cameron1...your one of us now! :D Well, I would say experiment, experiment, experiment. I would check out some of the sistahs with twaS and see if you can duplicate any of the styles that you like.
Enjoy the discovery of your true hair! :D

Kinkygirl
11-11-2005, 07:40 PM
This is a hard question to answer, at least to me, what do you want to do with your hair? I would suggest a good shampoo and conditioner that you like. Perhaps a good leave in as well and then work from there. It's hard to tell you which products to get because they might not work for your hair. Unfortunately at times it's trial and error until you find the products that work for you. You might want to ask the question: What do the nappturality members use on their hair and see whether you want to try some of those products.

For me: Pantene for Natural and Relaxed hair (*I* put the Natural first where it should be) shampoo and conditioner. I then use a line of products from Qhemet's http://www.qhemetbiologics.com and I have no problems from there.
with you having a twa this is a perfect time to see what works without having to handle a lot of hair.

Kinkyg

Cameron1
11-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Do I need like shea butter, carrot oil? I guess moister is number one. I just don't want to go out and buy some grease, and find out later that I shouldn't be using that. I'm looking through past posts to try and find some products.

Shanna
11-11-2005, 08:43 PM
How short is it? You may not need anything but shampoo and conditioner. :D That's the best thing about the TWA. You should have a good moisturizing product too-- look through the products forum for recommendations. I like the Profectiv products in the little jars, especially the Root Health in the green jar. You do want to stay away from hair grease and stuff with mineral oil and petroleum jelly.

Only1biancab
11-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Cameron1@Nov 11 2005, 02:30 PM
BTW, it's a shame that I'm in my 30's and don't even know my real hair. To be this age, and have never had my hair in it's natural state is a crime. So y'all help me please.

:D
I thought the same way about my hair when I started. With a TWA you should be able to keep it simple. Try out condition washing and see if your hair likes it. If not, then try something else. Also, you could use some StaSofFro if you're living in a humid area, or use it right before showering.

jazzijenni81
11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
hi cameron,

welcome to nappturality and the twa! its gonna take a lot of trail and error before you figure out whats best for u. in the meantime, you cant go wrong w conditioner. i've had my twa a year now :) and conditioner has gotten me through. you can check my product album for twa friendly conditioners and products.

jazzijenni81
11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
dp

Poohbear215
11-11-2005, 09:44 PM
It's good to hear that you want to remain natural! Woohoo! ^_^

About knowing what to do with your hair... that's the unique thing about natural hair... you really don't have to do much to it (as far as using a bunch of products on it or stylind aids; you still need to take good care of it). You don't have to use a whole lot of products. Since you have a short twa, shampoo and maybe conditioner and a daily moisturizer would be fine (I'm not sure how short your twa is). Once it gets longer, you may want to use different styling products depending on what style you want.

Hope that helps! Welcome to Nappturality! ;)

sonshinescoils
11-11-2005, 09:52 PM
welcome sister. you are in the right place ^_^

birdflyingaway
11-11-2005, 10:38 PM
you kinda have to figure this out for yourself because each head reacts differently to different products. one thing about natural hair is that it dries out quickly so the only thing you should be looking for are products that keep your hair moist.

find a good moisturizer (l love suave humectant, biobasics, and daily moisture)

find a good deep conditioner (i use a homemade flaxseed recipe i got from black start-- thanks, or i use cholesteral. i apply it to my head to put on a heating cap for half anf hour or so)

find something that keeps your hair moisturized daily (i use a combo of suave biobasics, jojoba oil, and paul mitchell-- the conditioner)

these are the things that you will need, but you have to do some experimenting to figure out what actually works for you.

good luck.

masoesa
11-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey welcome. YOu are indeed one of us and I also agree that you have to find the right products that work for you. For me, nopoo made a world of difference together with sheabutter. Enjoy your journey!