PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair Won't Grow Back

veteran
11-15-2005, 04:18 PM
I don't know what is going on with my hair. After my first child in 1998 I noticed that my hair began to shed alot and became very thin. I had a chemical fire cream at that time. After a while the shedding slowed down but I never really regained my original fullness. I noticed the same thing with the birth of my second child but it didn't seem as extreme,, though my edges were now balding. I was also under a lot of stress during this time from a really bad marriage. In the beginning of Decemeber 2003 I started using Organic Root Stimulator Temple Balm because a friend suggested it to me. I had not had a chemical fire cream in several months and after several weeks of using the product (it was now holiday time), I became desperate and contacted my basement stylist for a quick holiday hair-doo. In my ignorance I had not completely read the warnings and failed to tell my stylist that I'd been using the temple balm. My scalp burned like someone had literally put fire on it. I Had only been putting the temple balm on my edges and they were completely wiped out. That was the last chemical fire cream that I've had. A month later I got micro braids and continued to get those put on my damaged relaxed strands until July/04 when I B/C. My hair looked horrible and I continued with braids and sew-ins. I went to see a dermatologist and he said that he didn't see anything wrong and my test came back negative. I began taking multivitamins, biotin, and flaxseed caps, drinking more water and some exercising. After several months I noticed how soft and healthy my hair was ,it began to look better, my edges began to fill in and my hair was growing. I am still wearing sew-ins at this time because of the way my hair is growing. My sides and back of my hair is growing well (about 6 to 8 inches) but my front and top of my head the hair is only about 2 inches. In my opinion If I wore two strand twists, I would look like a clown. This is very frustrating because I can't wear any natural styles in my own hair. My sister looked at it and thought that maybe I was going bald in the top like some men. My stylist said that it does not appear to be falling out to her because at one time it wasn't even long enough to braid for the sew-in without added hair but she can easily braid it now. She thinks that either the back and sides are growing like weeds or the front and top has stopped growing. I don't want to cut it all off and start over. Also I'm afraid that it will continue to grow this way. My stress level is way down since my divorce 2 years ago and things are going well, So what is wrong with my hair? I'm getting tired of the weave but I do not want to wear a short twa. Any suggestions?

iandi
12-10-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't know what is going on with my hair. After my first child in 1998 I noticed that my hair began to shed alot and became very thin. I had a chemical fire cream at that time. After a while the shedding slowed down but I never really regained my original fullness. I noticed the same thing with the birth of my second child but it didn't seem as extreme,, though my edges were now balding. I was also under a lot of stress during this time from a really bad marriage. In the beginning of Decemeber 2003 I started using Organic Root Stimulator Temple Balm because a friend suggested it to me. I had not had a chemical fire cream in several months and after several weeks of using the product (it was now holiday time), I became desperate and contacted my basement stylist for a quick holiday hair-doo. In my ignorance I had not completely read the warnings and failed to tell my stylist that I'd been using the temple balm. My scalp burned like someone had literally put fire on it. I Had only been putting the temple balm on my edges and they were completely wiped out. That was the last chemical fire cream that I've had. A month later I got micro braids and continued to get those put on my damaged relaxed strands until July/04 when I B/C. My hair looked horrible and I continued with braids and sew-ins. I went to see a dermatologist and he said that he didn't see anything wrong and my test came back negative. I began taking multivitamins, biotin, and flaxseed caps, drinking more water and some exercising. After several months I noticed how soft and healthy my hair was ,it began to look better, my edges began to fill in and my hair was growing. I am still wearing sew-ins at this time because of the way my hair is growing. My sides and back of my hair is growing well (about 6 to 8 inches) but my front and top of my head the hair is only about 2 inches. In my opinion If I wore two strand twists, I would look like a clown. This is very frustrating because I can't wear any natural styles in my own hair. My sister looked at it and thought that maybe I was going bald in the top like some men. My stylist said that it does not appear to be falling out to her because at one time it wasn't even long enough to braid for the sew-in without added hair but she can easily braid it now. She thinks that either the back and sides are growing like weeds or the front and top has stopped growing. I don't want to cut it all off and start over. Also I'm afraid that it will continue to grow this way. My stress level is way down since my divorce 2 years ago and things are going well, So what is wrong with my hair? I'm getting tired of the weave but I do not want to wear a short twa. Any suggestions?
[/b]

why not cut the rest to match the shorter length, so that it can all grow out evenly? is the shorter length significantly thinner than the rest? I know you said you do not want to wear a twa, but I don't see why not. is there a reason you dont want the twa? I'm sure you would look lovely! Plus, once your hair is all the same length, it would be easier to do the natural styles (ie twists) on your hair.

look around this site, and you'll see all kinds of twa's...you'll be inspired, trust me!

tvaneka
12-12-2005, 07:15 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
I don&#39;t know what is going on with my hair. After my first child in 1998 I noticed that my hair began to shed alot and became very thin. I had a chemical fire cream at that time. After a while the shedding slowed down but I never really regained my original fullness. I noticed the same thing with the birth of my second child but it didn&#39;t seem as extreme,, though my edges were now balding. I was also under a lot of stress during this time from a really bad marriage. In the beginning of Decemeber 2003 I started using Organic Root Stimulator Temple Balm because a friend suggested it to me. I had not had a chemical fire cream in several months and after several weeks of using the product (it was now holiday time), I became desperate and contacted my basement stylist for a quick holiday hair-doo. In my ignorance I had not completely read the warnings and failed to tell my stylist that I&#39;d been using the temple balm. My scalp burned like someone had literally put fire on it. I Had only been putting the temple balm on my edges and they were completely wiped out. That was the last chemical fire cream that I&#39;ve had. A month later I got micro braids and continued to get those put on my damaged relaxed strands until July/04 when I B/C. My hair looked horrible and I continued with braids and sew-ins. I went to see a dermatologist and he said that he didn&#39;t see anything wrong and my test came back negative. I began taking multivitamins, biotin, and flaxseed caps, drinking more water and some exercising. After several months I noticed how soft and healthy my hair was ,it began to look better, my edges began to fill in and my hair was growing. I am still wearing sew-ins at this time because of the way my hair is growing. My sides and back of my hair is growing well (about 6 to 8 inches) but my front and top of my head the hair is only about 2 inches. In my opinion If I wore two strand twists, I would look like a clown. This is very frustrating because I can&#39;t wear any natural styles in my own hair. My sister looked at it and thought that maybe I was going bald in the top like some men. My stylist said that it does not appear to be falling out to her because at one time it wasn&#39;t even long enough to braid for the sew-in without added hair but she can easily braid it now. She thinks that either the back and sides are growing like weeds or the front and top has stopped growing. I don&#39;t want to cut it all off and start over. Also I&#39;m afraid that it will continue to grow this way. My stress level is way down since my divorce 2 years ago and things are going well, So what is wrong with my hair? I&#39;m getting tired of the weave but I do not want to wear a short twa. Any suggestions?
[/b]

why not cut the rest to match the shorter length, so that it can all grow out evenly? is the shorter length significantly thinner than the rest? I know you said you do not want to wear a twa, but I don&#39;t see why not. is there a reason you dont want the twa? I&#39;m sure you would look lovely! Plus, once your hair is all the same length, it would be easier to do the natural styles (ie twists) on your hair.

look around this site, and you&#39;ll see all kinds of twa&#39;s...you&#39;ll be inspired, trust me!
[/b][/quote]

Thank you for your response. I was beginning to think that no one cared to hear the same old sad song. Anyways, I really don&#39;t want to wear a twa. Honestly, I would rather get a short relaxed cut than to wear a twa. Just not ready for that. I&#39;m sure that I sound like a hypocrit but I am not that bold. I admire those who are. I&#39;m also afraid that my hair will grow the same way.

jenoy
12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Please be careful of putting chemicals on top of a damaged scalp. If you think it&#39;s not growing or slow to grow now, how do you think it will do with the chemicals on it? If your doctor&#39;s is saying its not alopecia, may be you do need to let it rest from the pulling of braids, and the sew-ins?
This journey isn&#39;t always easy, but anything worth having never is. :)

Kalia
01-15-2006, 03:41 PM
I suffer from male type patterened baldness. I always had hair down my back when I was using relaxers. In 1994 after the birth of my daughter and a tubal ligation I noticed severe hair loss on top and balding. I tried the Organic Root Stimulator like you and had success at the temples. However the top of my head has never grown in and my hair on top is very thin.

I had to make a sincere decision to stop getting relaxers. It was the best thing that I have ever done. back in 2003 I did the big chop and at first I was like "oh no". I now am so in love with my natural hair. I am now however able to do to strand twists and wear a fro and the balding on top is barely seen. I also get creative sisters to braid my hair in cornrows that cover the balding.

Last year I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) after having my tubal reversed. This is caused by major hormonal imbalances. Elevated testosterone is one of the culprits which hence leads to male patterned baldness. If I were you I would get a complete hormonal workup just to be sure that PCOS is not the cause of the balding.

Please STOP getting relaxers and weaves you are doing more harm than good.

It will get better just be patient and seek help.

Deep Rooted
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
<span style="font-family:Verdana">I just want to encourage you to stay the course. I know you say your not ready for a TWA but I have always had at least shoulder length hair and I cut all of it down to about an inch (two inches in some places :huh: ). It really doesn&#39;t take a special person to do the BC just confidence and most of all a strong support system. My reason for not doing it was that I felt my forehead was too big, no it hasn&#39;t gotten smaller I just changed my mindset and now I&#39;m rocking a small fro that looks really cute on me. "Who would have thought?" my mom said...

You are doing a great job with your vitamins, exercising, etc. It shows you are dedicated in your pursuit of healthy hair. You have come to the right place with your probs we Nappies are here for you sister.

~~~Stay Deep
Love, Peace, and Clarity</span>

Dolliesdaughter
02-10-2006, 07:59 PM
I think you need to stop with the sew ins. You could still wear twists and wear a headband. As long as you are not constantly pointing the short hair out to people, no one will notice.

tvaneka
02-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I think you need to stop with the sew ins. You could still wear twists and wear a headband. As long as you are not constantly pointing the short hair out to people, no one will notice.
[/b]

I agree with you. Right now I have micro braids and my scalp at the top isn&#39;t sore anymore. I think that the sew ins were braided way too tight and also my scalp needed some air. I didn&#39;t think about wearing a headband with the twists but sounds like a good idea. Thanks.