PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice For Those That Choose To Flat Flaming Hot Tool Of Hair Torture...

Koffee08
11-15-2005, 05:03 PM
I went napptural March '04 and I haven't looked back. I have been wearing protective styles (kinky twists, cornrows, etc.) and straightened it with a CHI iron (works wonders) a couple of times a month. My hair is the length now that it was a year and a half ago when I did my BC. I love wearing the blow out style and haven't had the patience to "train" my hair over a course of months like other women I know that straighten their natural hair. For someone, like me, who chooses to flat flaming hot tool of hair torture my hair one or twice a month to achive the straight look in addition to rocking other styles, do any of you have any suggestions on how to maintain and train my hair? I trim my ends in between styles and deep condition, even when my hair is braided. I use Suave Humectant Shampoo and Conditioner, ORS Olive Oil Deep Conditioner, BioSilk (to seal and shine) and Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Creme--b/c I realize my hair is natural, not relaxed, and I can't use the same products I used when I had a perm. I would love some advice!! :D

Poohbear215
11-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Advice???

Please do not use ANY flaming hot tools of hair torture on your hair!

:pop:

tonyelle
11-15-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't think this topic may not be open too long.

Reason: Dee does not promote using a flat i.ron or heat on your hair. And I don't know what you mean by training your hair. Sorry.

And I agree with the above poster Poohbear. Check out the intro of thie site for more info.

BrownsuggaDIVA
11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
dont have anything to say.....just laughing at these filters.

**read those rules and stickies....this talk is not allowed here**

EvesDilemma
11-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Your hair is not a dog that needs to be trained sweetheart. You can achieve some of the same styles you are looking to do without burning your hair......It may take some time to adopt this mindset, but try loving your hair for what it is instead of trying to turn it into something it isn't.

LilShortRib
11-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Uh-oh...

I see you are new to NP, so let me be the first to tell you that ANY use of heat or chemicals is strictly prohibited from being discussed on this site. The founder and moderators frown upon any discussion of such things read here:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24408

It's good that you don't feel the need to 'train' your hair, but perhaps you should start a new thread on how to manage your hair without the use of heat.

I would be happy to help you learn how to maintain your hair if you could be a little more specific as to what you are trying to do. Are you interested in washing/cleansing, styling, maintaining, ect.?

Koffee08
11-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by BrownsuggaDIVA@Nov 15 2005, 05:07 PM
dont have anything to say.....just laughing at these filters.

**read those rules and stickies....this talk is not allowed here**

WOW. Didn't know this talk was so Taboo! LOL Ah well....

KnappilyMe
11-15-2005, 05:11 PM
we will act like you never asked this mmkay.. ;)

read this post http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...ndpost&p=379751 (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24408&view=findpost&p=379751)

Read the front page.... i know you are fairly new... but we dont want to subject you to the nappy beat down... dee warns on the front page... it can happen

Peace

Koffee08
11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by LilShortRib@Nov 15 2005, 05:09 PM
Uh-oh...

I see you are new to NP, so let me be the first to tell you that ANY use of heat or chemicals is strictly prohibited from being discussed on this site. The founder and moderators frown upon any discussion of such things read here:

It's good that you don't feel the need to 'train' your hair, but perhaps you should start a new thread on how to manage your hair without the use of heat.

I would be happy to help you learn how to maintain your hair if you could be a little more specific as to what you are trying to do. Are you interested in washing/cleansing, styling, maintaining, ect.?

Thanks! Maybe I am on the wrong site...I like rocking ALL types of styles and trying new things. One of them happens to be wearing it straight. If someone can tell me how to achieve wearing it straght without heat then I will gladly be one of the first to learn!!

LilShortRib
11-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Koffee08+Nov 15 2005, 12:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LilShortRib@Nov 15 2005, 05:09 PM
Uh-oh...

It&#39;s good that you don&#39;t feel the need to &#39;train&#39; your hair, but perhaps you should start a new thread on how to manage your hair without the use of heat.

Thanks! Maybe I am on the wrong site...I like rocking ALL types of styles and trying new things. One of them happens to be wearing it straight. If someone can tell me how to achieve wearing it straght without heat then I will gladly be one of the first to learn!!

[/b]

You may be right. I don&#39;t know how much support you will get here if you want to get your hair bone-straight. If you read the mission statement on the homepage, you will see that the founder of this site really wants women to embrace their natural hair and not be so concerned about trying to change the texture or look of it.

I can give you advice on how to stretch your hair and maybe how to loosen your curl a bit without heat or chemicals, but that&#39;s about it. You can let me know if you are interested, if not, good luck!

Koffee08
11-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by EvesDilemma@Nov 15 2005, 05:08 PM
Your hair is not a dog that needs to be trained sweetheart. You can achieve some of the same styles you are looking to do without burning your hair......It may take some time to adopt this mindset, but try loving your hair for what it is instead of trying to turn it into something it isn&#39;t.

I appreciate what you are saying and I&#39;m all about versatility. I wasn&#39;t aware that wearing my hair straight was taboo and banned you from being considered natual. I&#39;m not trying to make my hair any thing that it isn&#39;t anymore than people who use curl enhancing products are trying to make their hair something it isn&#39;t. Yes, I&#39;m obviously new to the site. Yes I&#39;m obviously still learning. I appreciate the responses/feedback I am recieving. Thanks all!

NyckeiXXIV
11-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Any advice?

Ummm.... don&#39;t?!? :dunno:

That&#39;s the best advice anyone can give you.
Heat destroys the hair. Learn more by reading some of the stickies and such. It&#39;s good that you like versatility, but at what cost?

One Love,
Nyckei

Niya
11-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Koffee08@Nov 15 2005, 11:14 AM

There are plenty of other hair forums that can help you with this then. :)

AllieCat0817
11-15-2005, 05:21 PM
pass the popcorn please....

Koffee08
11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by LilShortRib+Nov 15 2005, 05:17 PM-->

Originally posted by Koffee08@Nov 15 2005, 12:14 PM
Uh-oh...

It&#39;s good that you don&#39;t feel the need to &#39;train&#39; your hair, but perhaps you should start a new thread on how to manage your hair without the use of heat.

You may be right. I don&#39;t know how much support you will get here if you want to get your hair bone-straight. If you read the mission statement on the homepage, you will see that the founder of this site really wants women to embrace their natural hair and not be so concerned about trying to change the texture or look of it.

I can give you advice on how to stretch your hair and maybe how to loosen your curl a bit without heat or chemicals, but that&#39;s about it. You can let me know if you are interested, if not, good luck!

[/b]

Thank you!!! I really appreciate it. I think ALL hair is beautiful. I love big hair, straight hair, curly hair, kinky hair!! Black hair is beautiful period because it sets us apart from others. If you have some advice on stretching the hair or loosening the curl---please do give a sista some tips!! My best friend has been natural for 6 years and strictly straightens her hair. I&#39;m open to all kinds of things. I&#39;ve learned a lot from the site and enjoy reading everyone&#39;s posts. It&#39;s hard breaking old habits!! ^_^

kedekee
11-15-2005, 05:26 PM
What is the name of the website?

I can relate to the OP post in the versatlity of your hair.. eventually I&#39;m gonna want to have a straight hair style.. not that we don&#39;t love our naps but come on.. the same reason people dye their hair is the same reason people straighten or curl their hair...

Koffee08
11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Niya+Nov 15 2005, 05:21 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Koffee08@Nov 15 2005, 11:14 AM

There are plenty of other hair forums that can help you with this then. :)

[/b]

Thank you! I&#39;ve been reading some of them and enjoying looking at all the pics. Very inspiring...

Yonique
11-15-2005, 05:29 PM

Shanna
11-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Advice: please don&#39;t try to p.ress this issue or you will get a NP attack. :P

I don&#39;t know if the blackhairmedia.com forums are still there or not, but they can help. So can longhaircareforum.com

Or if you are here and you see someone with it straight in their Fotki album, then ask that person directly through email, Fotki, or PM.

LilShortRib
11-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Koffee08+Nov 15 2005, 12:22 PM-->

Originally posted by LilShortRib@Nov 15 2005, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Koffee08@Nov 15 2005, 12:14 PM
Uh-oh...

Thank you!!! I really appreciate it. I think ALL hair is beautiful. I love big hair, straight hair, curly hair, kinky hair!! Black hair is beautiful period because it sets us apart from others. If you have some advice on stretching the hair or loosening the curl---please do give a sista some tips!! My best friend has been natural for 6 years and strictly straightens her hair. I&#39;m open to all kinds of things. I&#39;ve learned a lot from the site and enjoy reading everyone&#39;s posts. It&#39;s hard breaking old habits!! ^_^

[/b]

A lot of people band their hair to stretch it out. You can read more about doing the technique here (http://www.roshini.net/journal/2003/2003_27_9.htm). I have started twisting my hair in about 10 fatties every night before I go to sleep.

Some people do rollersets on their hair as well. I am not too much into straightening my hair for fear of damage, so as I said before, you may want to start a new thread about how to stretch/straighten hair with no heat and you will probably get better responses. HTH ^_^

yjudania
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Koffee08+Nov 15 2005, 12:14 PM-->
Uh-oh...

[/b]

Yup! Not the site to ask about straightening but you can find lots of tips on styling without the use of heat. I hope you stay because you are welcome but there are certain topics that are not allowed. :)

Niya
11-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by kedekee@Nov 15 2005, 11:26 AM

I can relate to the OP post in the versatlity of your hair.. eventually I&#39;m gonna want to have a straight hair style.. not that we don&#39;t love our naps but come on.. the same reason people dye their hair is the same reason people straighten or curl their hair...

That&#39;s all good and gravy. Just respect NP&#39;s rules. It&#39;s a heat free zone.

EvesDilemma
11-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Yonique@Nov 15 2005, 01:29 PM

I&#39;m sensing a Law and Order *CLING CLING* thread closer heading our way.....now that we have folks chiming in on the "it&#39;s okay to straighten your hair" brigade.

NyckeiXXIV
11-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by EvesDilemma+Nov 15 2005, 01:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Yonique@Nov 15 2005, 01:29 PM

I&#39;m sensing a Law and Order *CLING CLING* thread closer heading our way.....now that we have folks chiming in on the "it&#39;s okay to straighten your hair" brigade.
[/b]
And people need to quit. Everyone knows the dangers of heat. And if you don&#39;t know, it&#39;s your own fault cause it&#39;s posted all over the site. The word of the day is RESEARCH. People need to quit co-signing and if you on that heat ish, PM that person.
(How many times must we go thru this?????)

***trying to enhance my calm***

One Love,
Nyckei

Shanna
11-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Where is Dee with that "I burnt my hair and it won&#39;t go back" sticky? :pop:

uzuri
11-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by kedekee@Nov 15 2005, 06:26 PM

A troll? :dunno: :dunno: :unsure:

AllieCat0817
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
waitin on Moderator W, X, Y or Z to come shut em down...

LilShortRib
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Shanna@Nov 15 2005, 12:49 PM

I agree with you. There have been a few members that talked about making one huge sticky with all those threads on it. Does anyone know if she plans to do this?

LilShortRib
11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by AllieCat0817@Nov 15 2005, 12:57 PM
waitin on Moderator W, X, Y or Z to come shut em down...

:lol: I was thinking the same thing, wondering how long it was going to take to shut this thread down... I have never seen a thread grow so quickly...

NyckeiXXIV
Chile, I hope so cause this is gettin&#39; ridiculous.

One Love,
Nyckei

ETA: Allie your hair is looking FABULOUS in your avatar! Work, Honey!!! ;)

Natural Kinks
Originally posted by uzuri+Nov 15 2005, 05:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-kedekee@Nov 15 2005, 06:26 PM

A troll? :dunno: :dunno: :unsure:

[/b]

I don&#39;t know about the troll but I DO know that saying that the reason why someone would dye their hair is the same reason why they would straighten it is a wild azz comment - come on now <_<

ValleyOfDecision
Originally posted by AllieCat0817@Nov 15 2005, 12:21 PM
pass the popcorn please....

HOW TO GET MY CURLS BACK THREAD (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24408)

ETA: COLORS and LARGE AND BOLDED FONT so people can&#39;t say they can&#39;t see and find this information. <_<

New member, old member..... doesn&#39;t matter to me.....

I normally don&#39;t use caps in my posts, but it seems as if this has to be SCREAMED FROM THE MOUNTAINTOPS.

NO HEAT OR STRAIGHTENING, for the love of God. How many times does it have to be said? :dunno:

Did a search on straightening and NINETEEN pages were found. These threads I posted were in the first 3 pages (with the last one being on the top of the 4th page). That should tell us something. -_-

Still said in peace.

:icon_headshake: :icon_headshake: :icon_headshake: :icon_headshake:

:2cents: :2cents:

Cutie McPretty
11-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LilShortRib+Nov 15 2005, 12:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Shanna@Nov 15 2005, 12:49 PM
Where is Dee with that "I burnt my hair and it won&#39;t go back" sticky? * :pop:

I agree with you. There have been a few members that talked about making one huge sticky with all those threads on it. Does anyone know if she plans to do this?

[/b]

I think this is a great idea. I hope they go through with it.

To the OP, the sites that Shanna mentioned are good places to start if you need advice on those types of styles. -- Tryce

Niya
11-15-2005, 06:05 PM
my head hurts

ValleyOfDecision
11-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Niya@Nov 15 2005, 01:05 PM
my head hurts

Girl, mine too. I don&#39;t even know why I replied &#39;cause I usually don&#39;t to threads like this, but hopefully someone will see my VERY NOTICEABLE post and other threads like this.

Shanna
11-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ValleyOfDecision+Nov 15 2005, 01:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Niya@Nov 15 2005, 01:05 PM
my head hurts

Girl, mine too. I don&#39;t even know why I replied &#39;cause I usually don&#39;t to threads like this, but hopefully someone will see my VERY NOTICEABLE post and other threads like this.

[/b]

Nope, not even if it&#39;s made a sticky with the title in huge colorful letters. :lol: :icon_headshake:

ValleyOfDecision
11-15-2005, 06:12 PM
:pointlaugh:

Damn shame I tell ya.

Yonique
11-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by EvesDilemma+Nov 15 2005, 12:44 PM-->

[/b]

I think my post was misinterpted, I was waiting for a moderator.

I am totally against all heat of any kind, the only thing that should be dried at high heat is clothes.

Peace

Koffee08
11-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Shanna@Nov 15 2005, 05:49 PM

Now THAT&#39;S comedy! :D

eri
11-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by NyckeiXXIV+Nov 15 2005, 11:48 AM-->
And people need to quit. Everyone knows the dangers of heat. And if you don&#39;t know, it&#39;s your own fault cause it&#39;s posted all over the site. The word of the day is RESEARCH. People need to quit co-signing and if you on that heat ish, PM that person.
(How many times must we go thru this?????)

[/b]
right on. ppl really need to read before they start posting. for the kazillionth time, heat/frying/straightening is not allowed here. take that somewhere else. :icon_headshake:

Originally posted by Koffee08@Nov 15 2005, 12:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Shanna@Nov 15 2005, 05:49 PM

koffee, shanna wasn&#39;t being funny. i can&#39;t understand how you could could think otherwise. you need to read the posts linked by valley. all of them. every time we turn around, somebody else is crying about how they just wanted a str.aight style for xyz occasion, and now their naps are permanently str.aight. and we are sick of it. so...
1) just say no.
2) if you do it anyway, keep it to yourself.
3) if you decide you want your naps back(ie your hair is damaged), bc and start over.

_Empress_
11-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Koffee08+Nov 15 2005, 02:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Shanna@Nov 15 2005, 05:49 PM
Where is Dee with that "I burnt my hair and it won&#39;t go back" sticky? * :pop:

[/b]

LOL u bout to burn off ya head and u think it&#39;s comedy.... :icon_eek13:

Moderator Alert! You are on the wrong forum my dear! We do not support any use of heat in changing the texture or natural state of our beautifully curly and coily hair !!

EvesDilemma
11-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Yonique+Nov 15 2005, 02:13 PM-->

Originally posted by EvesDilemma@Nov 15 2005, 12:44 PM

I think my post was misinterpted, I was waiting for a moderator.

I am totally against all heat of any kind, the only thing that should be dried at high heat is clothes.

Peace

[/b]

Oh no, I figured as much, that&#39;s what I had in mind as well.

Moderator V
11-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Wow! Sorry it wasn&#39;t shut down sooner!

To the original poster, please take the advice of the women here, heat is a no good for naps and we do not support straight hair styles at Nappturality.