PDA

View Full Version : The art of complimenting...

Gloria
12-09-2003, 01:03 AM
I know a girl that I used to consider a friend. I have noticed that since I have been natural she gives these "compliments" that aren't so complimentary, like...

"OHHHH. Your hair looks good TODAY...usually it looks like (fill in the blank)."

"I like your hair but have you ever considered doing it like (fill in the blank)."

My favorite is the conversation last week.

HER: "You hair looks good today."

GLORIA: "Thanks."

HER: "I know you didn't do it. Who did it?"

GLORIA: "Uhhh, you are right, if my hair looks "good" there is no way that I could have done it myself..." :mad

HER: "Oh. Well it doesn't usually look like that. What did you do to it? Wash it?"

GLORIA: "You know, you have a strange way of giving compliments, but I guess that it is just your way..."

Maybe I am just getting upset because she is a permie with four inches of split ends :cen and nonexistent edges. I mean what can she tell me about my hair.

I am just venting :blah but I want to know if anyone else here knows a person that just can't compliment you. I know the girl to be an insecure person and I don't want to snap on her, because I don't want to hurt her feelings. My feelings aren't hurt, I just want her to shut the hell up. I mean, my hair is healthy so if she doesn't have anything nice to say she should shut her trap.

It's like she's in her glass house chucking rocks at me in my brick house. The rocks aren't damaging my house, it's just irritating and I know that if I step outside and begin to throw those same rocks back, her whole house is going to come shattering down. :blah

BlakReign
12-09-2003, 02:26 AM
Maybe you should express to your "friend" how her ignorant statments are effecting you. Or you could go another route and throw the same comments back at her. It seems to me that she is jealous of your hair..knowing that hers is hanging on barely. With folks like that I have learned to take it with a grain of salt...they don't ever know what they are talking about so why let it affect me?

NubianPrincess
12-09-2003, 02:56 AM
That girl is trippin!

I have a male friend who always says things as "Oh, you did <insert style here> to your hair. Im like "yeah." It annoys me so much! Maybe if he would take a stand...either he likes it or not...but why point out the obvious?

neveah
12-09-2003, 05:28 AM
This person is not a friend. Get rid of her. Life is too short to waste time with people who try to hurt you for no good reason.

happidaz
12-09-2003, 06:26 AM
"with friends like that, who needs enemies..."