PDA

View Full Version : How Long Did It Take YOU to accept it?

phatlipps1
12-09-2003, 03:56 PM
I dont know about you, but when I first chopped I was spending lots of money trying to find the perfect product that would give me the optimum curl enhancement...

It actually became sort of a chore. Then it felt like a crutch. Like I had to have my curls defined before I went anywhere.

I eventually said screw it! Some days I define, some days I pick my fro out and have no curls.

Once I finally embraced the fact that I didn't HAVE to do the curly thing, being nappy became a lot more fun and I discovered that I had a lot more variety!!

:rainfro

Did anyone else go through this?

tran68
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
My hair doesn't have defined curls, I've known that since I chopped but every once in a while I'll throw on some gel and see if anything happens and it doesn't, but it's all good! :lol

Dolliesdaughter
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
I never had an obession with curl definition. Can't miss what I never had.

life4evr
12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
I kind of had one. I mean I knew I had a little curl definition when it was wet, but dry that was another subject. Besides I was too broke to go out and buy alot of products and gel dries my hair out. So that killed that whole trying to define my curls.

CurlsWannaHaveFun
12-09-2003, 04:20 PM
I voted 2-6 months. It was more an obsession with getting my hair to do things it didn't want to do with a lot of products mucking it up. But curls that last were one of the things, completely absent frizz. I realized however real hair is not perfect and moved on to enjoy my healthy natural hair.

aquababie19
12-09-2003, 04:29 PM
i've never thought about curls... i wore a twa. not much hair...low maintenance...hardly any products ( at least in my case) so i never had a problem with trying to find elusive curls.

Laluna
12-09-2003, 04:32 PM
I know where you're coming from er, um Phattlipps...why does stating that nic make me a wee bit antsy?? :tiptoe LOL Anyway, I'm still kinda sorta in that mode. I've definitely eased up a bit on the products, since folks were asking me If I had a texturizer (read S-Curl) LOL. That's not cool. I do accept the naps..I simply want my hair to look healthy..and for me that means soft and moisturized...not oily, greasy, or icky :-? My fav look is the "soft" afro look, where the curls are not clearly defined, but more like a sheeny black cottony look. If y'all can imagine that :lol

uzuri
12-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Dec 9 2003, 04:08 PM
same here! :lol :lol

feepee
12-09-2003, 04:38 PM
I voted a year or more because i've gone napptural a couple times. The last time my hair got to what i consider a good length, but i was constanly doing twists and getting aggrevated that the coils wouldn't work no more, adding all kinds of "conditioning" products that dried my hair to get definition. but this time 'round (big chop in aug 03) i've truely embraced the naps. i wear my twa (just some shea butter) sans extra product, water or headbands most of the time. last napptural experience, i just didnt think it looked good on me. i was jealous of jill scott cuz she rocked it so confidently. i felt more comfortable with a puff or puff pony. but now i'm proud to say i love the naps as they are.

Catalyst
12-09-2003, 04:39 PM
I've never been into buying too many products because my hair seems to be in a constant state of change as it continues to grow. I'm more interested in moisture and softness than curl definition. If a certain product brings my "curls" out that's great but generally it won't last too long so I just enjoy my hair as is, I'm pretty low maintenance.

honeydipp
12-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Hmm I never had an obsession with curl definition until I realized I had curls.....The first year of being nautral my hair was kinda of blah it wouldnt do anyhting it was still in perm withdrawl mode plus I had wore braids for alot before that :-? ....... but after vowing to become braid free my hair regained moisture and I found lots and lots of curls....thats when I initally became a product junkie :-cre

BlakReign
12-09-2003, 04:53 PM
I never really had an obsession with the curl definition because my hair does that on its own. A little bit of watered down gel and a leave in and I am good. I guess i didn't worry about it because I always knew they were there.

cateyesmd
12-09-2003, 05:33 PM
I've vote never, because I never obsessed with the thought of having something that I KNEW wasn't there.

I did have a lady get me some curl definition once with the use of a lot, a lot, a lot, I do mean a lot of gel. I decided that it wasn't for me to do over again. It was nice while it lasted (see picture in my journal.

I feel like this, you either have it or you don't and we shouldn't have to put a lot of product in our hair to get it to do something. (not picking on those that like to)

Be Blessed

LadyThoms
12-09-2003, 06:17 PM
yes, it's true. i'm afraid i did have this little obsession for a while. My head has every texture under the sun all mixed up together, so some of my hair will curl, and some of it refuses. It took me a little while, but I've let go of the curl defining product lines and let my hair do what it does. I'm a much happier person, cuz it's frustrating trying to make your hair do something it just doesn't do. I had to get from the 'perm' mentality, to the 'curl definition' mentality, to the 'just let it be what it is and screw what the rest of the world thinks' state of mind. :bubble

tdrmaquillage
12-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Very much so. Not so much product but I used to obsessively keep my hair in twist outs. It was only when I had no time and I was forced to do a wash n' go with a little bit of olive oil that I realized that my hair is curly already. Then, even once I realized that, it took me a while to get over the hella frizz n' kinks that accompany my natural curls. :doh So really, even though I haven't used chemicals since forever, I would say that I really only embraced the naps and became "napptural" in the last year or so.

- Tania :rainfro

ava1
12-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Ironically, I didn't think about curl defintion until I came to this site. With all the posts about it I thought that anyone could have curls with the "right" product and wasted a lot of time and $$ trying to find my "right" product. Everytime I bought one I couldn't wait to go home and try it so I could rock one of those a curly shake-and-gos I'd been hearing about on the boards. That lasted for about a month. I hit rock bottom when I bought some s-curl activator. I hadn't bought activator since I had a "carefree" curl back in the day. After that I went through a "what do I do now?" stage until I fully embraced my naps. I've been happy with my hair ever since. I'm glad I don't see a lot of posts about curl definition anymore because I think it can be deceiving for new nappies.

Reflection Journey
12-09-2003, 09:00 PM
I never obsessed with curl defintion. From looking @ my past pictures i knew this would be impossible. Like AlKen4100 said can't miss what i never had.

phatlipps1
12-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by ava1@Dec 9 2003, 12:47 PM
Ironically, I didn't think about curl defintion until I came to this site. With all the posts about it I thought that anyone could have curls with the "right" product and wasted a lot of time and $$ trying to find my "right" product. Everytime I bought one I couldn't wait to go home and try it so I could rock one of those a curly shake-and-gos I'd been hearing about on the boards. That lasted for about a month. I hit rock bottom when I bought some s-curl activator. I hadn't bought activator since I had a "carefree" curl back in the day. After that I went through a "what do I do now?" stage until I fully embraced my naps. I've been happy with my hair ever since. I'm glad I don't see a lot of posts about curl definition anymore because I think it can be deceiving for new nappies.
Hot Dangit! The board is where I got it from too! LOL! Go Figure.

karasNAPS
12-09-2003, 10:13 PM
I never worry about curl definition. I've been nappy six months and I just want my hair to be healthy and moisturized. I discovered that my hair is going to do what it wants to do no matter what I put on it, so why should I bother to buy "curl-enhancing" products when good ole suave does the same thing. :thumbsup

mrstwisty
12-09-2003, 11:05 PM
I am a product junkie and proud of it :lol . But I must say that I have slowed down. I only use 2 to 4 products now. I am always on the prowl for something new. I have learned to resist temptation occasionally though. My curl definition is not really a big issue now because I know how to achieve it. Some days I care more than others. :amour

Shanna
12-09-2003, 11:09 PM
I've never been obsessed with curl definition because I've never expected to find any! My inner product junkie only responds to the promise of moisture... :p

Blackanese
12-09-2003, 11:10 PM
It took me a few months I think. I just wasn't mentally prepared for the double shock of super short AND nappy hair, especially since people give you so much crap when you cut your long permed hair off. Also I was worried about having a "boy's" hairdo. Now that it has grown and I have more styling options it's not even an issue.

sweetcurl
12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
:cow:
well this here cowgirl- is an unrepentant product junkie. I like to experiment- try new things and I learn more from my mistakes than i do from my sucessess.
I like to spend my hard earned money-
it is really hard earned

RaLuvsRed
12-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Dec 9 2003, 11:08 AM
Me either!! I was born in the late late seventies but I am stuck in the sixties. I was so excited to have an afro that it took me months before I did anything to enhance my curls.

AllThatHair
12-10-2003, 03:10 AM
It took me about a month to realize that if my naps wanted to curl, then they would curl. Sometime it curls and sometimes it doesnt. I love it when it does curl, but love it just the same when it doesnt

Happy2BNappy
12-10-2003, 05:01 AM
Well I have curls wet or dry but I did have a battle with FRIZZ. Always looking for a better product etc. I finally let that go a month ago and have since embraced my frizz. I told my hair it won and I swear since then my frizz hasn't been as bad. lol

wysdom1
12-10-2003, 05:39 AM
I agree with other folks, I dont have (and dont anticipate having) a curl definition obsession. BUT I AM AN UNREPENTANT PRODUCT JUNKIE> ... I dont use gels or anything that would "define curls" I most often use oils and butters for moisture and like I have said before I know why.. and its not just cause i like playing in my fro... IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH SMELL... I love the smell of coconut, jasmine, coco butter, shea butter, lime, rosemary.. and the list goes on... SO my addiction is to the fragrance not to any curl definition .. and well im starting to think fragrance is just as bad...lol.. got me staying up nights smelling products in the drug store (did that last night)..lol..trying to match my hair to my perfume (FYI: shea butter over powers escada but smells fine with organza)

undrea
12-10-2003, 06:23 AM
I guess it took me about 5months or so to stop trying to define my curls. I just never thought about just letting my hair do what it wants to do. I would slap all kinds of goo into my head. Now I just put in some moisture and let it dry, frizzy and all.