PDA

View Full Version : Nappy Encounter

MsPebbles
11-20-2005, 06:47 AM
I ran into a few nappies in the beauty supply store since I have been home visiting from Germany. I'm in Montgomery. All were strange encounters. I feel tension in the air or attitude between us (maybe it is just my imagination). It is almost the feeling like someone has on your same outfit. I expect......eye contact and exchanging encouraging smiles maybe. Is that asking too much or should I not expect anything?

Only1biancab
11-20-2005, 06:51 AM
..Wellllllll, what happened? :pop:

BTW, are you in Ramstein, Germany?

MsPebbles
11-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Only1biancab@Nov 20 2005, 01:51 AM
..Wellllllll, what happened? :pop:

BTW, are you in Ramstein, Germany?

I'm at Spangdahlem/Bitburg.

Nothing happened each time. That is my point. I see all the sisterhood and support on this website and all the talk of getting together for gatherings, but when I run into a nappy on the street I don't feel any sisterhood......just attitude. No eye contact (deliberate it seems).

Niya
11-20-2005, 07:06 AM
I separate np'ers from naps I see on the street.
Just because both of ya'll are nappy, that doesn't necessarily provide some connection between ya'll.

But keep smiling, you never know who you're making feel a little better.

thunderstorm
11-20-2005, 01:17 PM
i really write this out of respect.

your experience may just be proof in how this whole going natural thing does not hold the same merit for everyone. maybe the women you saw have always been natural and don't see any big deal about seeing a stranger in public who also has natural hair. maybe they recently grew out a previous style to sport their natural hair, and again, see no big deal in it.

maybe they don't feel the need to lend a smile or glance of reassurance when they see another women with natural hair. maybe others' hair isn't something they particularly notice when they are out and about.

i wouldn't put any stock into your experience. and who knows? those women could be members of this site. . . :dunno: maybe the tension was all in your mind.

freelocks
11-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Never expect a certain reaction from anyone. Saves u from disappointment.

TGee
11-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by thunderstorm@Nov 20 2005, 01:17 PM

your experience may just be proof in how this whole going natural thing does not hold the same merit for everyone. maybe the women you saw have always been natural and don't see any big deal about seeing a stranger in public who also has natural hair. maybe they recently grew out a previous style to sport their natural hair, and again, see no big deal in it.

maybe they don't feel the need to lend a smile or glance of reassurance when they see another women with natural hair. maybe others' hair isn't something they particularly notice when they are out and about.

i wouldn't put any stock into your experience. and who knows? those women could be members of this site. . . :dunno: maybe the tension was all in your mind.

:dunno: I have to say I tend to agree here most. I'm not in any way saying I think I'm "better" than anyone else but...why do so many of us set ourselves up for the negative aspects of our experiences? Not "everything" means SOMETHING! At least, it doesn't to the point where we have to always question...but somehow we always do. Now, I live in NYC--I see nappies all the time, and sometimes there's the smile, the knowing glance, etc. Sometimes there's not. I also see a LOT of weaves and creamy crack addiction. And many have told me how nice my hair looks and they wish they were as "brave" or as "strong." Sometimes, of course I get nothing! But I know, it is what it is--yeh? I'm where I'm at on the journey, which is not necessarily where others might be. If a sister doesn't acknowledge me, or I don't acknowledge her (nappy or no) then to me, it really doesn't matter. It's ok to know and feel that we all may have gotten here from the same continent, but that certainly doesn't mean we're all from the same "tribe."

Why attribute so much of how you feel to someone else's attitude? It's on them, not you. If your inclination is to smile, nod, wave--whatever then you be you, yeh? If they don't dig you, (or your beautiful hair!) then so be it! Just come home, log on and get your fix here! (or move to NY!!! :D ;) ) LOL

http://public.fotki.com/AFROKARMA/

MsPebbles
11-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by thunderstorm@Nov 20 2005, 08:17 AM

You are probably right. As I stated, I live in Germany so I'm not use to seeing naturals. Also, in certain parts of Europe you rarely see black folks (not counting the popular areas such as Paris) so when you run into someone who is black we always exchange glances/smiles out of excitement of seeing someone who looks like you. I have been in Europe for four years so this is my first trip back and seeing other nappies is new to me......but probably not new to me. I'm sure that after being back permanately it will not catch my attention anymore either.

MsPebbles
11-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by MsPebbles+Nov 20 2005, 10:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-thunderstorm@Nov 20 2005, 08:17 AM

your experience may just be proof in how this whole going natural thing does not hold the same merit for everyone. maybe the women you saw have always been natural and don&#39;t see any big deal about seeing a stranger in public who also has natural hair. maybe they recently grew out a previous style to sport their natural hair, and again, see no big deal in it.

maybe they don&#39;t feel the need to lend a smile or glance of reassurance when they see another women with natural hair. maybe others&#39; hair isn&#39;t something they particularly notice when they are out and about.

i wouldn&#39;t put any stock into your experience. and who knows? those women could be members of this site. . . :dunno: maybe the tension was all in your mind.

You are probably right. As I stated, I live in Germany so I&#39;m not use to seeing naturals. Also, in certain parts of Europe you rarely see black folks (not counting the popular areas such as Paris) so when you run into someone who is black we always exchange glances/smiles out of excitement of seeing someone who looks like you. I have been in Europe for four years so this is my first trip back and seeing other nappies is new to me......but probably not new to me. I&#39;m sure that after being back permanately it will not catch my attention anymore either.

[/b]

OOps...meant to say...seeing other nappies is new to me, but probably not new to them.

AuNappturale
11-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by MsPebbles@Nov 20 2005, 08:29 AM
[
You are probably right. As I stated, I live in Germany so I&#39;m not use to seeing naturals. Also, in certain parts of Europe you rarely see black folks (not counting the popular areas such as Paris) so when you run into someone who is black we always exchange glances/smiles out of excitement of seeing someone who looks like you. I have been in Europe for four years so this is my first trip back and seeing other nappies is new to me......but probably not new to me. I&#39;m sure that after being back permanately it will not catch my attention anymore either.

I&#39;ve felt similarly in a similar situation. When I moved to Arizona, I realized what 3.8% meant. I didn&#39;t see my people at the rate I did in Atlanta. On my first visit back, I would :D and wanna :hug: every black person I saw and was a little :huh: when the feeling wasn&#39;t mutual. It hit me that they were accustomed to looking at us where we were 80%, so I was no big deal. After that, I&#39;d simply :) and :wub: them from afar. (Good thing. The brothas were YEAH, SHAWTY! WHAT&#39;CHU GOT! :pop: )

LuaBonita
11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
i stare at nappies a lot and they eventually stare back. i CANT help it though!

cloudyface
11-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by thunderstorm@Nov 20 2005, 10:17 AM

your experience may just be proof in how this whole going natural thing does not hold the same merit for everyone. maybe the women you saw have always been natural and don&#39;t see any big deal about seeing a stranger in public who also has natural hair. maybe they recently grew out a previous style to sport their natural hair, and again, see no big deal in it.

maybe they don&#39;t feel the need to lend a smile or glance of reassurance when they see another women with natural hair. maybe others&#39; hair isn&#39;t something they particularly notice when they are out and about.

i wouldn&#39;t put any stock into your experience. and who knows? those women could be members of this site. . . :dunno: maybe the tension was all in your mind.

I agree. For some people, being natural is not really a"connection" thing, because it&#39;s so normal.