PDA

View Full Version : The Natural Experience

Poetrie
12-09-2003, 08:29 PM
:app I applauded myself. I had done the unthinkable nearly three years ago. I had gone from bone straight and black to nappy and red. I had managed to individualize myself outwardly in two hours at a salon. I was NAPPY by choice. :app

So many other sistahs I meet who have done the "unthinkable" share something so similar, that going natural for them made them fresh in every way, individualized and different. They had broken away from the usual mainstream of Black women's haircare and went back to the days before the days of the relaxers and perm kits and so forth.

For me, it felt right. My hair symbolized so much of me: rebellion being the top. No longer was my hair subjected to the opinion or authority of my parents, my boyfriend, or my friends. As long as I was pleased with the outcome, everything was fine, in spite of the tsking of teeth and head-shaking, in spite of the comments from the boyfriends who would often say "I like the way your hair used to be, long and straight."

I no longer conformed myself according to everyone around me. It was a therapuetic thing for me...it was spiritual. I fell in love with God when I rededicated my life to Him two years ago and actually loved at how He made me . I loved the fact that my hair has its moments where the win can blow so much and it'll be in place on its own. I loved how it couldn't tamed and I would never tame it with chemicals again. I even wrote a poem titled My Awakening...b/c my hair represented the music of my spirit, the music of my community, my people. :d)

Even though I'm experiencing some things now with it, some unwanted lessons being learned, I still love my hair. It symbolizes so much, even change, which ironically is happening now. We're going through a change...a change in color, from red to a deep deep brown (unwanting) and from long and thick to shortened and thick, again, unwanting...yet, it still holds the power of uninhibited spirit...

What does your natural hair represent?

NikNak
12-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Poetrie@Dec 9 2003, 02:29 PM
It represented rebirth to me. Going back to what I came into this world with. The freedom to just be. Unchained, so to speak.

I got tired of following trends and wanted to feel comfortable within my own skin, and part of that was the decision to go natural. Those who don't like it, well you ain't gotta like it. But I appreciate those who respect me as a person, not for a certain "look".

Ravensholst
12-09-2003, 09:30 PM
To me it was just an acceptance of self. I had never worn my hair nappy but, as soon as I cut the relaxed hair off I was free. I felt as if a weight had been lifted and my only regret was that I hadnt done it sooner. I dont know what took me soo long to realize that I didnt need a relaxer. Now, I wish more would realize it. But, I think more are realizing it.

NaijaNaps
12-09-2003, 09:30 PM
My natural hair represents my God-given beauty. He makes no mistakes.

natitwists
12-09-2003, 09:45 PM
self love, pure and simple

phillygirl
12-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Natural hair represents confidence, and comfort with one's self.

Nappalonia
12-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Natural hair for me represents, freedom, self love, & confidence :bis

LBellatrix
12-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Gettin on board the FREEDOM train...

I wish more sisters could know what hair freedom feels like.

Shanna
12-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Freedom, comfort, natural beauty, and most of all it represents ME! :)

sweetcurl
12-09-2003, 11:08 PM
My natural hair signifies my desire to truly accept myself as divinely created and to know that easier to handle doesnt mean better.

BlakReign
12-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Acceptance of myself as God made me, beauty, refusing to conform, comfort, sex appeal, self love..

Knottygal
12-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Self-Acceptance

RaLuvsRed
12-10-2003, 02:58 AM
At first my natural hair was my physical display of my blackness. Freedom from the chains that society placed upon my appearance. Now my natural hair is my beauty, my grace and my willingness to love who I am and all the I possess.

AllThatHair
12-10-2003, 02:59 AM
Being naptural to me represents nevering having to apologize for the way my hair grows out of my head. Never having to explaing why I perm it.

It represents a freedom that is indescribable with words.

It represents me. Who I am and how I REALLY look.

It represents my rebirth...being born into myself.

Happy2BNappy
12-10-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Poetrie@Dec 9 2003, 03:29 PM
For me it was about accepting myself as God created me. I would never think about bleaching my skin so why would I subject my hair to a chemical process as damaging as a perm?

I love the way I stand out now. When I go into a store I don't look like anybody else. At school, my friends have started calling me "puff" because of my hairstyle and I wear that name with pride. My self-esteem has gone through the roof and I've noticed I don't put up with crap like I used to. It's all about being real and honest with myself and with others.

Going natural has changed me from the inside out and I wouldn't go back to perm for any reason.

Poetrie
12-10-2003, 05:01 AM
nevering having to apologize for the way my hair grows out of my head.

See, I love that statement!!! :thumbsup

For so long, when I was relaxed I felt I always had to explain myself or apologize for having new growth puffing up at the roots. When my White friends' curiousity got the best of them, they would trust me to be real but to be 'gentle' so to speak when talking about Black hair. My mother is a hairstylist so I was so used to having a different, hip style every two weeks, I was expected by the clique to be hooked up...and when I wasn't, I felt I had to apologize for my hair not being in the right place!!!

It was horrid at how I subjected myself to so many people and allowed them to dictate my taste in hair. lol Crazy... :-cre ...yes! But so utterly real to me that even thinking about my journey being natural now, I shake my head in disbelief. Someone responded that going nautral did wonders for her self esteem and I agree, it certainly does when you're able to embrace God's true creation of you.

I love the variety of styles I can wear. I can be straight (by hot comb) one minute or two-strand twisted up the next. I've been in the box, in every aspect for so long...and now that I'm finally outside, it's not as intimidating as so many people have made it out to be.

God bless,
Poetrie

mikameek
12-10-2003, 05:07 AM
My natural hair represents beauty, self-confidence, truth and character......

rkj223
12-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Not having a relaxer.

felise
12-10-2003, 12:17 PM
:rainfro My naps represent self-love, versatility, and freedom :thumbsup

Nappilocs
12-10-2003, 02:30 PM
For me it was loving and accepting myself the way I am...

Maestradiva77
12-10-2003, 03:33 PM
To me, natural hair represents the fact that I accept the hair texture I was born with.

aquababie19
12-10-2003, 03:41 PM
basically being natural/napptural is expressing the authentic me! being who i am and being proud of my body...not just my hair!

BamaFro
12-11-2003, 03:33 AM
My natural hair symbolizes me, uninhibited. It's the total sum of all of my thoughts on being black, a woman, and society without me saying a word. :d)

HuGrad2002
12-11-2003, 05:26 AM
for me, it was truly excepting myself for who I am

puchi
12-11-2003, 05:27 AM
Freedom, self-confidence

--puchi

Laquita
12-11-2003, 02:35 PM

...THE TRUTH :rainfro

Newbie2003
12-11-2003, 04:31 PM
<span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>what does your napptural hair represent?

Wow... It represents so much. Nobody told me this was about so much more than hair! :-P

For me, it represents coming home. Without being too long winded - I&#39;ve been hearing the word "simplify" ringing in my spirit since January 1st, so systematically I&#39;ve been working on doing that in every area of my life. My hair is just the first, important step in a greater journey that lies ahead.

I feel great, free, pretty, natural, authentic - I could go on and on, but I think you get my drift!

Mad props to all of you for being true to who you really are. :thumbsup</span>

queenamina
12-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Peace,

My hair represents me, now, tomorrow, and yesterday. Free to do whateva I want without it being accepted by my peers. I haven&#39;t had this much confedence in my life! I can walk in a room full of permies and such and have no shame in my game. People still comment me on it, not because it&#39;s so different from any other nappy sista but the confidence that I have. To me it not only represents strength but natural beauty, black beauty. So many of us are beautiful by other people standards but not their own, which is scary. To be afraid to look at yourself naked without makeup, weave, perm, just you and not be happy unless your hiding behide some shield that cost crazy money, cuz it ain&#39;t cheap to keep that up. I feel like I&#39;ve been reborn in so many ways and finally seeing through all eyes, realizing that the way Most high has created me is not bad at all. I tell you this much, most of my days( not all, cuz all of us get our bad days) I look in the mirror and smile cuz I don&#39;t spend hours in my bathroom get frustrated by my hair or sit in someones salon for hours and still come out wanting to change something about my hair. That big chop 3yrs ago was a life saver and I&#39;ll never look back.

Queen Amina :rainfro

Lagina
12-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Being who God made me represents my FREEDOM in a country that is suppose to be the land of the free. :-P

I learned so much on this journey and it is far from over...

tuber2
12-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Being natural represents or is a testimony that "God didn&#39;t make any mistakes when he made us" (someone else made this statement and it made a real impact on how I viewed my transition to nappturality). I too have gained more confidence now than I ever had when I permed my hair. I was always a person who wanted others to like whatever I did and it was hard for me to underdstand that some folks are just not going to like whatever you do - period.

Now, I walk into a room, party, grocery story or whatever and I am like: "Bam.....here I am and I am lovin myself, my hair and my courage to take the road less traveled. I know that a lot of folks say: "It&#39;s just hair; it ain&#39;t that serious, but for some folks is is that serious.

It took some time for me to truly get that point that God didn&#39;t make any mistakes, especially when you have grown up around people who only think that a certain type of hair is good/bad whatever. But 3 years into this journey, I have managed to convert 2 sisters and a niece by example and my younger relatives are starting to oooh and ahh over the wonders of our natural hair.

carrolina
12-11-2003, 07:40 PM
<span style=\'color:blue\'>it means just being carrolina.

never again torturing my mind and body because something is "wrong" with me.

accepting and loving every inch of me, because that&#39;s how i was made.

having confidence up the @ss!...cuz i know i look good, regardless! :lol </span>

feepee
12-11-2003, 07:58 PM
My natural hair initially represented change. But it also represents love for myself, the way I am. I embrace my naps, stretch marks and saggy boobs with pride. They are all part of the natural course my body takes and I will embrace and take care of my body the best I know how. And love myself for it!

middlechild
12-11-2003, 08:12 PM
My hair represents utter and absolute FREEDOM!!!!!!!
I kicked the relaxer to the curb, along with all the wrong ideas about what true beauty is. I am learning to embrace my NATURAL beauty.

KeeVia
12-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Going natural for me meant basically realeasing the inner being that was in me awaiting to come out....And thank God that I made that change!!!!!!!! :rainfro