PDA

View Full Version : not the product, but the application?

blakgirl
02-19-2003, 03:01 AM
i'm noticing that application really matters. i often rave about Aura Elixir Leave-On Conditioner for curl definition, but i never thought to explain the "trick" to application until i had a PM conversation with another nappy. she didn't experience the same fabulous results and i automatically assumed that it could be just chalked up to different hair [which i still think accounts for the majority of varying results]. however, upon further discussion, i realized the "trick" or the key, which is application. Aura Elixir Leave-On Conditioner must be applied on sopping wet hair before any other products, specifically oils. otherwise, about three quarter-sized dollops can be rubbed on large sections from roots to ends, nothing special like scrunching, saturating sections with lots of product, and the such. if the product is working, it should foam up. after we cleared that up, she had much better results with the product albeit not necessarily fabulous.

all that to say, what products do you use and what are there special application instructions, if any? [especially some BBD Glass and Stretch clues, ABBA Nourishing Leave-On Conditioner, Kenra Intensive Emollient Treatment, and Rusk Wired]

blak.

TeaKyoo
02-19-2003, 03:40 AM
My fav trick is using products on sopping wet hair. Also letting it air dry. I do that with BBD Glass or any (ABBA) leave in or gel for that matter. I am clueless how to use Stretch so that it mixes so that when I leave it in I can't see little bits of it. I use KIET as a 10 min conditioner and rinse with cool water. I never used Rusk Wired before.

I seem to never use any products on dry hair I had a stylist but Aveda Elixir on my semi dry hair...I will just say that the results were less than great. The entire back of my head experienced 85% shrinkage and the front poofed out 5x normal.

TQ :wink:

Curlysaurus
02-19-2003, 03:48 AM
I think you are definitely onto something Blakgirl! Application is another factor to consider when making recommendations to another napptural in addition to our own individual hair characteristics, the climate we live in, etc.

- Of the products you mentioned, I just started using KIET (Kenra Intensive Emollient Treatment) so I kinda "piled it on" as a deep conditioner (and rinsed out) and it seems to work fine (my hair get very dry like a lot of ladies' hair here). I think I used 2 medium hard squirts of it. I've seen others say not use it as a leave-in b/c of residue.

I was getting ready to give my Rusk Wired away but may give it another try - I think I use too much of it at one time and that's why it's been superdrying. I recommend only WET application.

- I would recommend that Black and Sassy Creamy Set be applied very sparingly for styling -- a little goes a long way for hold, etc. I mix it with a little CD MHH or another moisturizing product when my hair is WET.

I think in general with styling products, when and if used, that less is more in terms of application. It should be about enhancing our hair's natural beauty, not covering it up or drastically changing it.

For clarification, I have hair with "3c/4a" (??) tendencies and live in a VERY dry climate (mile high Colorado). Need to work on my LOIS category :?

KinkyDenseCurls
02-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Great topic.

I use HB Olive Creme for curl definition. I apply a generous amount to my hair when it is dripping wet (right out of the shower) and I apply it using my palms instead of my fingers. [Using my palms keeps the curls from separating and frizzing up].

:-)

lydicarol
02-19-2003, 04:42 PM
I use Bumble and Bumble Leave In Cond., to get the most benefit out of it, I use it right after I get out of the shower, I shake my head a bit and then apply it to wet hair.

narcissaqtpie
02-19-2003, 05:08 PM
I thought about this cuz I am really heavy handed with my products (i'm training myself) I have tried it all and I think it could be trial and error for some folks.

Sometimes the sopping wet thing dont work on me though :x Somedays I try the sopping wet thing and I get mad coils/curls, other days I do the same exact things-product application and all and I end up with a fro :?: Now I just let my hair decide what it wants to do and try to focus on retaining moisture :)

Naturaljoy
02-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Aura Elixir Leave-On Conditioner must be applied on sopping wet hair before any other products, specifically oils.

I agree because this is exactly how I apply Aura Elixer whenever I use it. :D

When I use Abba Nourishing Leave-in, I always mix it with a few squirts of Thermasilk Shine & Shape Gel and apply it to my towel-blotted hair. I do the same whenever I use Bumble & Bumble Leave-in (I like to alternate leave-in conditioners from time-to-time)

TeaKyoo
02-23-2003, 08:11 PM
[b]I was reading a post and the person used a conditioner and it turned her hair into a matted tangled mess...

I was like d@mn! Then I thought was she doing like they do on commercials piling all her hair on the top of her head and shmooshing the hair around or applying the conditioner root to tip section by section.

I think application of conditioner is just as important as styling aids. I get a different effect when I smooth condition section by section root to end (concentrating on ends) then when I used to shmoosh like the commercials...

Any one else?

TQ :?:

ravenqt
02-23-2003, 08:48 PM
I think application of conditioner is just as important as styling aids. I get a different effect when I smooth condition section by section root to end (concentrating on ends) then when I used to shmoosh like the commercials...

Any one else?

Yes :) . Thanks to the advice from the ladies on this board I started shampooing and conditioning totally differently. I used to pile my hair on top of my head like the commercials but that just creates crazy tangles now. I learned to apply the shampoo and conditioner in a downward motion in sections and use my fingers to detangle the hair while letting the shower water run over my head. BIG, BIG difference.

narcissaqtpie
02-23-2003, 08:50 PM
[quote][b]I was reading a post and the person used a conditioner and it turned her hair into a matted tangled mess...

I was like d@mn! Then I thought was she doing like they do on commercials piling all her hair on the top of her head and shmooshing the hair around or applying the conditioner root to tip section by section.

Any one else?

TQ :?:

I agree. When my hair was ultra short-I could just pile it on. But as my hair gets longer, and especially since I dont comb much anymore it mos def pays to apply conditioner in a fashion that you wont end up with a birds nest. I cant see how any conditioner would jack up my hair-now maybe a shampoo-but conditioners normally have "softening" agents right?

Amarige
02-23-2003, 10:37 PM
TeaKyoo (and anyone else having success with BBD Glass), I understand that I should use it on soaking wet hair, but do you use a leave-in conditiner before or after applying it? OR Do you use the Glass as your leave in--I thought it was closer to a styling product.

Thanx in advance for your help!

TeaKyoo
02-24-2003, 04:04 AM
[b]Amarige, I always use a leave in conditioner with BBD Glass. I used regular Suave Coconut Conditioner or Elucence Conditioner as a leave in. Then layered the Glass on top as a styling aid.

I heard some people have success by using oil as a leave in then Glass on top of that. I haven't tried oil though.

TQ :wink: HTH

Brit
02-24-2003, 04:10 PM
When I use Glass (which is a styling agent). I rinse my hair, rub in some pure shea butter, a little CD Khoret Amen Oil and then put Glass on my hair. I think that key to Glass is really working it into your hair without disturbing your coils. The more you work Glass in (meaning rubbing it through, combine it or whatever), the more coil definition you will see. DISCLAIMER: This might not be true for everyone, maybe this is just with me. Please do not rub, comb, or brush your head off trying to get some curl definition :wink: