PDA

View Full Version : Starting A Twist Challenge

meky
11-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Okay,

I am not sure how this works, but I am starting this for support, motivation, inspiration, and so on and so on.

I just got twists today. I know it's the middle of November, but I want/need something to protect my hair.

The goal is not to let loose until CHRISTMAS!!!...is there anyone out there interested in walking this path with me?

I know there are plenty that do this all the time, but I can get past a couple of weeks.

I'd love to have some one join!

*Sweetie*
11-22-2005, 06:20 AM
I couldn't make it past two weeks...I slept too wild, and no matter how tight I tied up my hair, my cap always slipped off. So I was fuzzy by the end of the week. :)

seek_first
11-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Its possible as long as you don't mind fuzziness.

TrueSugar
11-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I agree with seek_first.

mabrown412
11-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by meky@Nov 21 2005, 11:34 PM
Okay,

I am not sure how this works, but I am starting this for support, motivation, inspiration, and so on and so on.

I just got twists today. I know it's the middle of November, but I want/need something to protect my hair.

The goal is not to let loose until CHRISTMAS!!!...is there anyone out there interested in walking this path with me?

I know there are plenty that do this all the time, but I can get past a couple of weeks.

It's certainly possible, but I think it depends largely on your hair. I don't at all mind the fuzziness, but the fact my hair will start to "loc" after 2 or 3 weeks. Then when I try to take the twists out, it's a horribly long, drawn out chore...ending in lots of ripping and pulling the semi-loced hair apart.

So I only wear my twists for 10 to 14 days at most. Then I have to go back to the fro cause my hair is dying to be let loose by then. :afro:

But plenty of other ladies here can sport their twists for a month...maybe even two.

Dolliesdaughter
11-22-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree, it is possible if you don't mind the fuzzies.

defblue
11-22-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm in!!!!! I did some twist on the 19th (i finally got motivated and did them)

johnschelle
11-22-2005, 07:32 PM
I am in. I put twists in on November 5 ...so that is 17 days that I have had them in . I am aiming for 2 months. I usually get sick of a style quickly or fail to maintain the braids/twists and then they get fuzzy, but this time it is going well. Hopefully we can both reach our goal. :D

sbrwhi
11-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm in. I'm doing my twists right now :D.

cloudyface
11-23-2005, 01:20 AM
IN!!! I'm putting in some small twists for my graduation on sunday, and I'm really hoping to keep them in for just about 30 days. I'll be twisting to tomorrow. Keep in touch guys! And check out my album for pics.

raissa
11-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by meky@Nov 21 2005, 10:34 PM
Okay,

i'm in. i will put my twists in tomorrow, and i will try to keep them in until dec 22.

Kat Nappydeen
11-23-2005, 03:58 AM
Good luck. My twists don't make it for longer than a week.

Tha0ne
11-23-2005, 04:06 AM
I'm in...I'm going to get my hair twisted tomorrow(finally)...YAYYYY!

Puffalishous
11-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I have worn twists for a month at a time The hardest part for me is that first week because I am having withdrawal symptons from not being able to touch my hair. Once I make it past that, I am good to go.

Come Sunday, this will be week two for me. I will have to retwist because my scarf has come off my head a few days and my hair is kinda of fuzzy but I can tell there is some growth and that is the best part!

BreezySeas
11-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I think it is possible but with my hair I could not do it. I put twists in my hair and maybe I need to find a better holding product but some of them were smushed unraveling and I had pure drama getting them out. Now my hair is still short so maybe when my hair is longer and I do not have to do them so small it may not be that bad. As far as twists go I will not be putting those things in for awhile. I want to be able to take down a style in 30 minutes with no drama and the way my hair matted doing my transition I am not sure how long it would take for my natural hair to matt so I would probable go 1-2 weeks tops.

naturalay
11-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I love twists, really! but i have a problem with fuzziness and shrinkage is not my best friend. So 30 days won't be possible for me :(

ReRoyalty
11-23-2005, 06:23 PM
I wish I could be in. I do plan on twisting my hair this weekend by my scalp gets crazy flaky after like 2 weeks. I haven't figured it out yet, I wish I could because I have to take my twists down while they still look good because my scalp is so bad.

Cutie McPretty
11-23-2005, 06:35 PM
If I joined this challenge by the time 30 days had passed I would be posting on the loc forum. My hair makes its own decisions and I know if I left them suckas in for a month I might as well scoot my butt over to the loc forum :lol:. Good luck everyone, i'm gonna just be a spectator this time :D. -- Tryce

sbrwhi
11-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by tryce@Nov 23 2005, 02:35 PM
If I joined this challenge by the time 30 days had passed I would be posting on the loc forum. My hair makes its own decisions and I know if I left them suckas in for a month I might as well scoot my butt over to the loc forum :lol:. Good luck everyone, i'm gonna just be a spectator this time :D. -- Tryce

:pointlaugh: That's hilarious! I'm going to join the challenge because I've never left my twists in longer than two weeks. I went 2.5 weeks one time and it was a challenge getting them out. How about this---I'll go as long as I possibly can or shoot I may end up in the loc forum too :D.

BBeauty
11-24-2005, 03:45 AM
I would love to join in, but my scalp screams to be washed after about 10-14 days. :(

Any tips on how to calm the scalp down? :dunno: If so, then I'm in.

coilyC
11-24-2005, 04:14 AM
[COLOR=green]
Originally posted by BBeauty@Nov 24 2005, 05:45 AM
I would love to join in, but my scalp screams to be washed after about 10-14 days. :(

I was wondering about the same thing as far as leaving twist in past 2 weeks etc. I barely get through a week, but I can get there. However I noticed that my hair looks best with twiist out after the first day or after only 2 days. The twist still look pretty fresh and all after two or 3 days but if I want a twist out the hair has gone up into itself and the itchies are there too. I really don't use gels at all either. don't work well for my hair. That's really good when folks can leave twist in so long!! When I have tried towash with them in it is a total disaster!!

Denny
11-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I normally keep my twists in for 30 days, I find my hair since I went natural is getting used to not being washed so often and it does not smell either. I put my twists in Nov 6 but getting it coloured next week Thurs so good luck ladies! :D

makeba
11-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Man i remember when this was started before and many ladies had great results from it. my hair was to short at the time for twisting and now to have it twisted that long my hair would loc up on me. good luck ladies! make sure you all post in between so i an see your progress.

LaLa*
11-24-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm in. I finally sat down and did really really small twists on Monday. I actually love the smaller twists and should have did them a long time ago but it took me 5 hours with breaks of course. I just need tips on how to maintain them, keep the moisturized :)

iandi
11-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by tryce@Nov 23 2005, 02:35 PM

:pointlaugh: So true, Tryce!

Gonna have to cosign on this one. I left my twists in for about 10 days and the ends were starting to mesh together. I definitely can't go for more than a week or so, tops. But I'll be supporting everyone who decides to take the challenge!

MzRene
11-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I would love to join. I'm doing my twists tomorrow!!

utamu
11-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by BBeauty@Nov 24 2005, 12:45 AM

I wear twists a lot and can't stand to go more than 4 days or so without a wash. You can try diluting your shampoo/conditioner a bit and rubbing your scalp gently. After washing twists, you can also put them in big twists or braids while theyr'e still wet...then take them out when dry. THis will keep them somewhat stretched...with a cute crinkle effect too. I still get fuzziness with these methods but I don't mind and the twists hold up better than they would otherwise.

If you really don't like the fuzz associated with washing you can use a product like ORS Herbal Cleanse..a latherless shampoo to cleanse the scalp and hair, or rub some witch hazel or Sea Breeze with a cotton ball on your scalp.

TriciaLang
11-27-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm in. I'm putting my twists in right now! :D

napturallyme
11-27-2005, 01:10 AM
I wear twists most of the time. I just took down 4 week old ones and will retwist tomorrow and keep them for 3.5 weeks. The key for longer lasting twists is to do them small. You will get the fuzzies but not as much with larger twists. Also when the get older, I braid them at night for a braid out. Good luck to the challengers!

carrolina
11-27-2005, 04:24 AM
id join, but my hair's already braided up. protective styles are so hard for me, but my hair needs them now. ive been cuttin up with the blowdrier this year lol...

anywho, good luck... ^_^

misskisha
11-27-2005, 11:40 AM
I actually put mini twists in on Oct. 24 and took them out Nov. 22 - 29 days. I will twist today - Nov. 27. They keys to keeping them in longer is keeping them moisturized, braiding them at night, and doing touch up twisting at the when they are a couple of weeks old. Maybe I'll get around to actually posting pictures and setting up a fotki page to commemorate the end of the challenge.

naturalay
11-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I normally keep my twists in for 30 days, I find my hair since I went natural is getting used to not being washed so often and it does not smell either.
[/b]

You're very lucky! :P

By the way do you all wash your hair while you wear the twists.

Like i said , i don't like the fuzinees and if i wash my hair with the twists , i won't like them at all fuziness+ shrinkage= :(
That's the reason why i have to undo them in order to wash my hair ( particulary my scalp) after 10 or 12 days.

napturallyme
11-27-2005, 01:38 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
I normally keep my twists in for 30 days, I find my hair since I went natural is getting used to not being washed so often and it does not smell either.
[/b]

You&#39;re very lucky! :P

By the way do you all wash your hair while you wear the twists.

Like i said , i don&#39;t like the fuzinees and if i wash my hair with the twists , i won&#39;t like them at all fuziness+ shrinkage= :(
That&#39;s the reason why i have to undo them in order to wash my hair ( particulary my scalp) after 10 or 12 days.
[/b][/quote]

I don&#39;t wash my hair with twists, that equals a tangled mess for me. I can go without a wash because I don&#39;t really have a lot of dry scalp issues and my hair doesn&#39;t smell either. I don&#39;t work out, so no sweat issues. I also don&#39;t use a lot of product when wearing twists anymore. I may put something on my hair once or twice a week. If you must use product constantly, a spritz would probably be a good idea. I also sometimes let them get slightly damp when I shower.

coilyC
11-27-2005, 10:31 PM
I have started trying to leave my twist in longer and I really don&#39;t use many products in my hair either, its just the itchies that cause me to break mine loose and to wash it or wet it thourouhly. I do like the idea of braiding them after they are old though if I can ge t to that point. Do you braid the twist themselves are take them out and braid the loose hair that was twisted? I am trying to wear twist longer and to get the benefits of having a nice looking twist out or braid out and so far it has been quite a daunting challenge. The thing is my twist themselves are always complimented so favorably.

sbrwhi
11-28-2005, 07:01 PM
I have started trying to leave my twist in longer and I really don&#39;t use many products in my hair either, its just the itchies that cause me to break mine loose and to wash it or wet it thourouhly. I do like the idea of braiding them after they are old though if I can ge t to that point. Do you braid the twist themselves are take them out and braid the loose hair that was twisted? I am trying to wear twist longer and to get the benefits of having a nice looking twist out or braid out and so far it has been quite a daunting challenge. The thing is my twist themselves are always complimented so favorably.
[/b]

Whenever I wear my mini twists, I would flat twist the twists themselves at night and wrap with a satin scarf. I&#39;m considering doing that with my medium sized ones now to better protect the ends. It keeps them stretched and gives them a crinkly look---I&#39;m too lazy to braid them and the flat twists take no time at all for me. To get a crinkly/curly twistout I would wet them first and let them dry before taking them out and at night do the same thing--flat twist them back and undo the flat twist in the morning. It helps to stretch the twistouts out longer and keep them more defined.

Ewuradwoa
11-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Count me in! I finished some twists today that have taken me ALL day (it&#39;s not that serious; I just lost interest halfway through and it&#39;s been really hard trying to finish my whole head) and it would be great if I could find the dedication to leave them in till Christmas.

I&#39;m sure I won&#39;t be locked because I had twists in once for three weeks (locing attempt), rinsed everyday and washed twice (foolish, I know) and still paid my dues in only about an hour and a half of detangling... didn&#39;t lose that much hair, actually. So, I&#39;m all set! I&#39;ve gotten enough of a loose hair fix, I think, to last me for a bit - I played with my hair all weekend and took lots of pics and updated my album... yep; I&#39;m all set!

BBeauty
11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Going to start mine either tonight or tomorrow. I have discovered that I have to to no-poo when washing my hair and use organic 100% pure Aloe Vera Gel on my scalp.

I always get fuzzies on my twists from the first day-big or small-it just comes with the territory. But I am down to do this.

...ermm I actually responded in the &#39;November Braid Challenge&#39; thread thinking it was this one-oops.

misskisha
11-29-2005, 12:11 AM
I&#39;m in on the challenge. Did my mini-twists on Nov. 27. The last set of twists lasted me 29 days.

coilyC
11-29-2005, 04:45 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Whenever I wear my mini twists, I would flat twist the twists themselves at night and wrap with a satin scarf. I&#39;m considering doing that with my medium sized ones now to better protect the ends. It keeps them stretched and gives them a crinkly look---I&#39;m too lazy to braid them and the flat twists take no time at all for me. To get a crinkly/curly twistout I would wet them first and let them dry before taking them out and at night do the same thing--flat twist them back and undo the flat twist in the morning. It helps to stretch the twistouts out longer and keep them more defined.
[/b][/quote]

I&#39;m going to try these helpful suggestions for the twist outs because I think I&#39;ve only had about 1 twist out that I really felt I liked. the twistouts have been a daunting task for me and so most of the time I end up sort of making a afro puff and moving on.

meagan22
11-29-2005, 02:52 PM
If I joined this challenge by the time 30 days had passed I would be posting on the loc forum. My hair makes its own decisions and I know if I left them suckas in for a month I might as well scoot my butt over to the loc forum :lol:.[/b]
me too :lol: the longest i&#39;ve ever kept some twists was two weeks

giggleblue
11-29-2005, 03:14 PM
i twisted my hair on thanksgiving day, and it&#39;s about that time to let them loose... my hair has already started to loc up in spots, and i know i am going to have quite the time taking them out. i&#39;m gonna let my soul glow for a couple of days and twist it back up again. in the winter time, i have to keep it twisted, because i can&#39;t fit any hats with my fro...

cheetarah198
11-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I&#39;m with Tryce on this one. My hair will loc if I leave twists in for a month. But good luck ladies. I&#39;ll be doing a braid challenge during this time. For some reason my hair doesn&#39;t mesh as quickly when it&#39;s braided. Go figure.

strawmelly
11-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Hello ladies.
I for sure would LOVE to join the challenge. Count me in. i did my hair
on Thanksgiving, and don&#39;t plan to take it out until around Christmas. Until then, I&#39;ll be trying to come up with a more dressy style that I can put my hair in for the holiday. Any suggestions?

As far as keeping my twists in, I usually last about 3 wks. It&#39;ll be a stretch going for the 4th, but I&#39;ll remain optimistic, maybe break out some headbands, and do my eyebrows. But there&#39;s one thing that I seem to do....does anyone have the "hand in twist" issue? I hate it, it&#39;s just the worst habit that I&#39;ve developed. Sorry for merging two topics. But yes, count me in.
~Strawmelly

ChelWren
11-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Aww man, I can&#39;t do the twist challenge because I&#39;m doing the braid challenge. Dang. I&#39;ll do it in January though. I&#39;m starting to like the idea of different hairstyles. Now I have to learn to do them. :)

Chelci

johnschelle
12-01-2005, 04:35 PM
I am on the 26th day of the challenge.....

cloudyface
12-01-2005, 06:15 PM
This is the end of my first week I&#39;m still loving them. I just need to moisturise.

sbrwhi
12-06-2005, 12:56 PM
:( I had to pull out of the challenge :(. My hair in the back has started locing after 16 days and I&#39;m taking them down and giving my hair a deep conditioner and some cornrows. Seems 2 to 2.5 weeks is my limit. I want to loc but not just yet.

cloudyface
12-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Ok, I&#39;ll be at two weeks tomorrow. However, I&#39;m going to the beach tomorrow , and once my twists get wet...that&#39;s it for them. I think 2 weeks is pretty good actually. Adn you never know, maybe they&#39;ll surprise me. I&#39;ll keep ya posted. (Oh yeah, they&#39;re starting to itch like crazy too)

strawmelly
12-09-2005, 11:14 AM
This Thursday will be 3 weeks ladies, and still rockin it strong! :D
I have really been loving my hair&#39;s reaction. It&#39;s shiny, has even gotten more puffy, and still looks presentable. I have been using a baby&#39;s boar bristle brush to kind of keep the baby hairs down, and I tie it down at night. I also wear a very thin headband most of the time. It&#39;s really nice. Looking forward to complete week 3.
~Strawmelly

ChelWren
12-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I have had 2 strand twists in since Sunday and they are already fuzzy and horrible looking. They have been in for 5 days and I don&#39;t like them. I am going to try to take them out, wash, and re-do them. That was my first time doing them so this time I&#39;m going to do them smaller and tighter and hopefully they will come out better. I would love to join the challenge.

Chelci

cloudyface
12-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey, I actually think I can make it to 2 weeks. Even after They got wet, they still look pretty good. I&#39;ll be undoing them next week Wednesday. Check out my album if you&#39;re interested.