PDA

View Full Version : December Braid/twist Challenge

LaLa*
11-28-2005, 11:03 PM
So I peeked in the November challenge a little too late (last Monday) so this is for December. I got my twist in but I'll end up rinse them or redoing them probably at the end of this week, thanks to my new love, Qhemet gel.
I wondered why there wasn't a complete Winter challenge.. but now I see why. You gotta take this challenge day by day, month by month, because I had a dream last night I took all these mini twists out. I had to wake up and touch my head. I'm SO happy that was a dream.

Anybody in? or getting ready?

Habica
11-28-2005, 11:51 PM
What are the requrements for the challenge?

ChelWren
11-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Yea, I wonder the same. I'm in for a bit. I like braids on me. :)

Chelci

SouthernShorty
11-29-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm in if I can start on the 11th and go the rest of the month. I'm attending a going away and a Christmas Party on the 3rd and 10th and those are puff occasions. I'll be in twist until then and in between. My current twist have been in since 14 Nov and will be taken down on 2 Dec.

Only1biancab
11-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Well, I'm on board. I have the whole week off, so I'm going to put in braids Wednesday. I found a new style to boot. I think these will look better than my last ones.

SoulfulSista
11-29-2005, 02:29 AM
What are the requrements for the challenge?
[/b]

I want to know the same thing. I've never done a challenge before, but I'd like to join this time.

TrueSugar
11-29-2005, 02:39 AM
I am in . I will be getting a trim tomorrow and will get my hair braided up on Saturday. I will also start drinking at least one glass of water a day ( will be moving that up).

cheetarah198
11-29-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm assuming the rules of the challenge are to keep your hair in an unmanipulated braid or twist style for the entire month of December. You can take it out to wash it, condition, and/or trim, but after that it must immediately go back into twists or braids. Am I right? If so, I'm in. My hair is already braided and will stay this way until the week before Christmas. Then I will take them down, wash and detangle and then braid it again.

SoulfulSista
11-29-2005, 02:48 AM
Okay, well I'm in. I wasn't sure if you could take them down and redo them or not.

ChelWren
11-29-2005, 02:48 AM
I'm down for it! As long as the rules are what was stated above.

Chelci

jtsupa
11-29-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm in but I want to rock a twist out on my birth day its on a thursday and I probably wont twist it back up until sunday that weekend is that ok

puchi
11-29-2005, 03:25 AM
YES! finally, I caught a challenge right when it starts...im in...im going to put in a set of twists tomorrow...=o) Ive been doing a secret challenge, I havent been doing much with my hair anywhoo. Good Luck to all!

--puchi

iscott555
11-29-2005, 04:07 AM
I'm in I just put my twists in on Saturday...let's see how long it lasts!

TotalNappz
11-29-2005, 04:11 AM
I am in :blush: this is my first hair challenge i am so excited . i will twist my hair this weekend and keep them till end of Dec .

SolSistah
11-29-2005, 04:19 AM
I'm in according to Cheetarah's rules. I got two-strand twists in the back and bantu knots on top. I put them in last Thursday.

nappyisme
11-29-2005, 04:19 AM
Count me in as well! I just put my extension twists yesterday.

mocha22
11-29-2005, 04:24 AM
I am in. I was debating if I should take my braids out now or later, so I just decided that I am going to take them out, and start this challenge on Thursday. I will post pictures :D I can't wait. I love protective challenges.

w2goback
11-29-2005, 04:25 AM
How long do you have to keep them in and does it have to be extensions?? I would love to try a challenge.

Godsgem
11-29-2005, 04:27 AM
I'm in. I just put in twists on Sat 11/26 and plan to keep then in for 2 weeks. This was my second set. I started a challenge in mid-Nov. I may have to cheat and wear a twistout for 2-3 days depending on when I'm able to wash my hair if they start to look unruly but after that it's right back to twists. I did this set fairly small so hopefully it'll last longer.

Scribetastic
11-29-2005, 04:32 AM
I'm assuming the rules of the challenge are to keep your hair in an unmanipulated braid or twist style for the entire month of December. You can take it out to wash it, condition, and/or trim, but after that it must immediately go back into twists or braids. Am I right? If so, I'm in. My hair is already braided and will stay this way until the week before Christmas. Then I will take them down, wash and detangle and then braid it again.
[/b]

Ha! If those are the rules, I'm in. I keep my hair in two strand twists all the time. It's just the best style for me because I want cute hair, but I'm LAZY. My hair is so fine (thin) that I have to take my twists out once a week (or at the end of two weeks at the latest). I condition and put them right back in.

Savantrice
11-29-2005, 05:29 AM
i'll join! this is my first challenge as well. I'll be twisting my hair this weekend.

Only1biancab
11-29-2005, 05:44 AM
How long do you have to keep them in and does it have to be extensions?? I would love to try a challenge.
[/b]
By braids and twists, it means your natural hair. But you can do it with extensions, too.

xayide79
11-29-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm already doing the twa challenge, but I'd like to add a protective style challenge to it. I braided my hair tonight and I'm going to try to leave the braids in for at least a month, redoing them mid month.

jmnappy
11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
I redid my braids on Saturday. So I may as well participate this time around. December is going to be a busy month. I won't have much time for redoing my hair.

I redid my braids on Saturday. So I may as well participate this time around. December is going to be a busy month. I won't have much time for redoing my hair.

trilynn20
11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I just undid my braids on this past saturday for the november challenge.

I'm in for the December challenge. I plan to do half 2 strand flat twist in front and two strand twist extensions in the back.

My sis says she is in for the challege as well since I just put her in cornrows and individual extensions on this past Saturday.

jadelicious
11-29-2005, 04:17 PM
bless you 'La la' love that name!!

Well I'm on holiday at the end of this week so will be wearing my hair out, after my holiday 'mid december' I plan to braid my hair using extentions, until May!! none of my freinds think i can do it as whenever I braid my hair I end up missing my 'loose' hair so end up taking them own after a week!!

But the 9 hour braiding session should act as a deterent to that, i plan to take a weeks break from braids every two months or so

All the best with your twists

eri
11-29-2005, 06:43 PM
i'm in. i got some flat twists done friday, and i'll twist again in a week or so.

vnesa6543
11-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Count me in as well. I haven't done tiny twists for a good while. I'll see if I have the time this weekend to do them. I'll be wearing them for the whole month. Should make a nice twist out for New Years!

w2goback
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
So the official start date is Thursday Dec 1st?? I am ready my sister jus braided my entire head, this is all I wear, twist and braids. So with this challenge there is no puff and no braid outs either correct?? I am so excited. Could we also share pix to encourage each other of various styles we can try. Thanks ladies. I am ready. I was concerned about the washing part. *wipes brows* :lol:

NATURAL-T
11-29-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm in. I'm getting 2 strand twist extensions on December 8th. I'm trying to keep them in for a minimum of 2 months. My stylist does touch-up and styles them for free. (Well, it's included in the 400 bucks I'll be paying her. )

ChelWren
11-29-2005, 09:31 PM
I already have braids. I just put them in on the 27th. I hope I count for December. I'm cheating by a couple of days.

Chelci

BBeauty
11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Washed hair last night and it is fresh to twist later on tonight-after work.

Im so up for this as I have never done one before! :D

LaLa*
11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
thanks jade..

i've had my twists in for 8 days.. and i have a hat on today because i notice as time goes on.. my twists just start standing up on their own, like thriller, no matter how tight i tie my scarf at night

i plan on rinsing this weekend.

ambond0396
11-29-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm in. I did braids for most of November. I took them down on this past Saturday. I will be re-braiding on Saturday.

l8diebgg
11-29-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm in as well. I'm fresh off of the November braid challenge and I'm proud of how long i was able to keep my hands out of my head when i had box braids in! I always want to play with my loose hair :wub: I just put in twists sunday-they're big so for me that means they wont last long (usualy because its just too easy for my straying hand to untwist and twist and untwist and twist.....)When i take these out i'll go straight back into box braids.

Good Luck!
May the Nappy-Force be with you!

TotalNappz--who is that cutie in your avatar?

curlyc326
11-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm in. Im twisting my hair this week.

homestyle
11-30-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm in as well. This will be my first challenge. I'm washing and twisting tomorrow. I'll retouch weekly and take them out to wash every two weeks. This should be interesting.

LaLa*
11-30-2005, 04:11 AM
this will be my first true challenge too, and I mostly likely don't have a choice but to stick with it because being from the windy city causes for winter hats and muffs... can't play around with a fro this season...

ONE MORE DAY LADIES... until

Kat Nappydeen
11-30-2005, 05:29 AM
Im in. Actually for the past two weeks Ive been putting my hair in braids and washing weekly. Then redoing them. I guess I'll continue through December too.

caramelqt928
11-30-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm in! This will be my first real challenge too. I will do box braids this weekend. I would do two strand twists again, but after a week it seems like my hair wants to loc.

queenwildcoilz
11-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Oh I am in !!!! I started in the November challenge tying to
keep my hair twisted or braided until the end of Feburary.
It will be week number 3 for me :) .

Good luck fellow nappies

Peace and hair grease

BBeauty
11-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I have to wash my hair again today. Why? Because I farse arsed and washed my hair with a Kemi shampoo and then conditioned (after I said to myself I would stick to the no-poo method)-washed it Monday. Went to twist it yesterday after work and it was crunchy and dry as hell! So have to wash it again today and then twist it later in time for the December challenge.

Vex is not even the word!! :angry: :angry:

nappynae
11-30-2005, 02:58 PM
i'm going on my 2nd week of twists and plan to wash & start over this coming weekend. this will be my first challenge as well. my goal (for the next 3-4 months actually) is to keep my hair twisted, and on the weekends wear a twist out for a day, wash, retwist, and start the cycle over. i haven't been taking good care of my hair lately (to tired w/ this pregnancy), but my energy is coming back & i want my healthy hair back.

are we to post pics as the month goes on? or at the end? not familiar w/ how this works.

happy twisting ladies!!!

w2goback
11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Do we check in weekly and show pix of the styles, share our ups and down etc, what is the plan?? someone anyone :unsure:

BlueIsis
11-30-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm in. I did the November protective style challenge. I no-pooed, wore twist for two weeks, no pooed and retwisted. I rinsed weekly. I'm going to try to leave my twist in for the entire month of December. (rinsing weekly of course) This will be very difficult because I like wearing my puff.

Good luck sistahs. :)

LaLa*
11-30-2005, 10:18 PM
yes w2goback and everyone else.. please share you styles, thoughts, questions, concerns..

i'm sure i will have some

LaLa*
12-01-2005, 06:25 AM
its ready, set, go... now

brandy
12-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Count me in too! This would be my first challenge on this board and I am so excited! :)

TotalNappz
12-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm in as well. I'm fresh off of the November braid challenge and I'm proud of how long i was able to keep my hands out of my head when i had box braids in! I always want to play with my loose hair :wub: I just put in twists sunday-they're big so for me that means they wont last long (usualy because its just too easy for my straying hand to untwist and twist and untwist and twist.....)When i take these out i'll go straight back into box braids.

Good Luck!
May the Nappy-Force be with you!

TotalNappz--who is that cutie in your avatar?
[/b]

she is a total cuite isnt she :D i saw it from a site and stole it . i wanted to show my boyfriend what is a nappy hair since he knew nothing of it , so i used that :D

Only1biancab
12-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Count me in too! This would be my first challenge on this board and I am so excited! :)
[/b]
*fangirl scream* Brandy, I'm your biggest fan! Ahhh~!

Just kidding. It's funny when NPers pick celebrity names and that ONE member actually believes they are the celebrity.
:lol:

My hair's still not braided. Since homework is kickin' my ****, I might as well get started on my braids.

johnschelle
12-01-2005, 05:33 PM
I am on my 26th day of kinky twist extensions......

SoulfulSista
12-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Okay, I have my first question. I know this is day one, but i've been wearing my twists turned box braids for about 2 weeks now. I haven't had a problem with dandruff since I was a child, but now, I've got flakes like crazy. I've rinsed my twists/box braids; I've done an ACV Rinse; I've buttered my scalp (same as greased, but I used mango butter instead of grease); none of it has worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? Nothings changed with my diet, I drink plenty of water, I just don't know what could be causing this or how to fix it.

kadaf555
12-01-2005, 06:01 PM
WELL I'M IN , I HOPE I'M NOT TO LATE!!!

HERE'S MY PICS , OF TWIST DONE YESTERDAY. ( I DON'T THINK I'M GONNA MAKE IT PAST A COUPLE OF DAYS, MY TWIST ALREADY LOOK FUZZY)

SouthernShorty
12-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Forget what I typed before, I'm in for the whole month. I've had my twists in for the past two weeks and I plan to wash and completely redo them today/tomorrow. I'll do a pre-wash treatment consisting of oil and cholesterol, shampoo, deep condition, put my hair in plaits to dry, and then flat twist the front and two-strand twist the rest. I'll spritz daily (morning and night), conditioner wash weekly (with the twists banded so that they don't get disturbed too much), and then redo the flat twists and any two-strands that need it. I usually flat twist all the twists together and band the ends before I go to bed, and wake up with crinkly twists and either throw some bobby pins up in there and shape it however or use a little extra spritz and let shrinkage take it's course.

BBeauty
12-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Finished twists about an hour, hour and a half, ago. Let the challenge commence :Cool_049:

Only1biancab
12-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions? [/b]
Shampoo or co-wash directly on your scalp. Apply it like your greasing your scalp and rinse it out.

naturali-t
12-02-2005, 04:48 AM
I'll be doing this,too. I know that twists are a protective style, but I wanted to protect my protective style by bunning up the twists. Here's a pic:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/ThiyaFiya/2005_1129protectivestyle30018.jpg

w2goback
12-02-2005, 04:51 AM
Soulfulsista How often do you deep condition??, hot oil deep conditioning might be in order. With the weather getting colder might have to add a little extra TLC.

I am going to post my style that I have had in, since last Sunday, I might have to do it over as I have an interview on Monday.

vnesa6543
12-02-2005, 05:16 AM
TOO CUTE @ Naturali-t!

I'll be putting mine in this weekend hopefully. We'll see. ;)

mocha22
12-02-2005, 05:28 AM
I just finished twisting my hair. Thank God it's over. After I took out my braids from the November Challenge, I noticed that my hair is thicker than before. I actually cried while combing it. Anyway . . . My twists aren't that hot at the moment. I will post pics when I define them. Good Luck to all.

Jen

LaLa*
12-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree with naturali-t... not only am I protecting my protective style by wearing a head wrap or tying my hair up and wearing a hat but I'm also drinking more water.

But today it is time for me to rinse... I'm days away from having my twist in for 3 weeks

puchi
12-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Aww, I dont have a camera!! But, I am keeping my twists wrapped up in a doobie. Im in upstate NY and its cold and snowy, and I dont want my twists to freeze. Just for clarification, we arent allowed to wear twist/braid outs right?

Im loving this already....

JAh
12-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I am in too this can help me try and grow my damaged hair out. I braided it up yesterday!

dewdrop
12-03-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm in! I plaited/braided up my own hair on Thanksgiving Day to prepare for December's challenge. So far so good!

SaPhia
12-03-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm in! Freshly twisted on Thursday night. Good luck every1

ChelWren
12-03-2005, 12:45 AM
I have cornrows and I'm thinking about puting in two-strand twists. Do I need to put any type of setting lotion on my hair something to get them to stay? I've never done this before. About how long should it take? For small ones? For big ones? Thanks.

Chelci

ronghead
12-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Ok I realize that I am a day late, but I want in on the challenge. I just took my flat twist down from November (washed weekly). And I just retwisted last night but the back is out. That is getting retwisted tonight. I am ready... count me in!!! Oh and I am new to the monthly challenges

SaPhia
12-03-2005, 01:02 AM
I have cornrows and I'm thinking about puting in two-strand twists. Do I need to put any type of setting lotion on my hair something to get them to stay? I've never done this before. About how long should it take? For small ones? For big ones? Thanks.

Chelci
[/b]
If you have trouble getting no-product twists to stay, you could use some ORS Lock & Twist Gel, or some Shea Butter (that's what I used last night) The time it takes depends on your skill level, how small/large you make them, and the length of your hair. It's different for everyone. HTH

carrolina
12-03-2005, 05:24 AM
i'm in. i just took down some braids. ill twist sunday or monday.

w2goback
12-03-2005, 05:39 AM
I would have kept my hair in this same style until next week, but I am going to deep condition and do it over for my interview on Monday. I will post pix.

BBeauty
12-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Ok, I no-pooed and twisted my hair Thursday night. Then I no-pooed Friday afternoon with my twists in to see what would happen....ermmm well...it made my twists messy at the roots :(

Ahh well...
*I need to start drinking more water

ChelWren
12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
I have cornrows and I&#39;m thinking about puting in two-strand twists. Do I need to put any type of setting lotion on my hair something to get them to stay? I&#39;ve never done this before. About how long should it take? For small ones? For big ones? Thanks.

Chelci
[/b]
If you have trouble getting no-product twists to stay, you could use some ORS Lock & Twist Gel, or some Shea Butter (that&#39;s what I used last night) The time it takes depends on your skill level, how small/large you make them, and the length of your hair. It&#39;s different for everyone. HTH
[/b][/quote]

That did help. Thank you. I will try this.

Chelci

TotalNappz
12-03-2005, 02:24 PM
i have to confess :( today was the day that i am supposed to put my hair in twist . so i did a nice pre shampoo treatment and washed with clarifying shampoo and a cond that smells like heaven , everything is set and looked perfect my hair is untangled and soft . i start twisiting , but it never turned out to be good . i am really pissed and i was about to give up the challenge but i didnt want . so i decided on a braiding :D .. i hope it works .. wish me luck :blush:

w2goback
12-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Just deep conditioned and is heading over to my sister to get a nappy interview do. My hair feels like heaven, I tried a new line of product today and I am loving it. My head feels light. :lol:

Debonaire
12-04-2005, 04:01 AM
I&#39;m in on the challenge. I decided to do box braids again like Novembers challenge and I have pics in my fotki. It&#39;s crazy how my hair is noticeably longer in only one month because of the protective styling.

aeburo
12-04-2005, 04:59 AM
I&#39;ve had my twists since 11/30, but I still want in on the challenge.

iscott555
12-04-2005, 05:52 AM
One week and still going strong! I have a question...for any of you who exercise what do you do to maintain your twists? I just touched up my twists earlier tonight because they were becoming fuzzy because of me sweating from working out...is anyone else experiencing this? and if you are what do you do?

vnesa6543
12-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Finished my twists on Saturday...

December Braid/Twist Challenge Pics (http://public.fotki.com/merie/growing_out_the_bob/dec_05_hair/)

http://images12.fotki.com/v241/photos/6/668193/2923284/DSCN1920-vi.jpg

mocha22
12-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Hey Iscott,
I just re-twist. My hair get&#39;s fuzzy no matter what technique I use, so I just work with it.

caramelqt928
12-04-2005, 08:04 AM
I posted pics of my box braids for the challenge.

kedekee
12-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Hey Iscott,
I just re-twist. My hair get&#39;s fuzzy no matter what technique I use, so I just work with it.
[/b]

Mine too, but I like the fuzzies. I have a TWA..

well, it aint teenie weenie no more but it&#39;s still short.

Anyway I&#39;m in. I did mine day before Thanksgiving...

So we&#39;re supposed to wash them weekly?

I&#39;ve been putting leave in conditioner on them, is that why they&#39;re not staying? I&#39;ll twist them in itty bitty twist and then an hour later they&#39;re undone. Wuddup wit dat? :dunno:

SouthernShorty
12-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I&#39;ll be redoing the two middle twist.
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1539/3/41/24/0/91/8/891002441303_0_ALB.jpg
Close-up, I should have used the tripod.
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1539/3/41/24/90/37/3/337902441303_0_ALB.jpg
ETA- I decided to go ahead and use my color when I took down Nov&#39;s twists. You can see it better in person, it came out well. Garnier 100% color 366 Deep Burgundy Brown.

BBeauty
12-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Naturali-T your hair and style is gorgeous! ^_^

In my previous post I said that I twisted my hair, then rinsed/conditioned them the next day which made it completely messy. Is it cheating if I take them out, no-poo and start over? <_<
(I think I&#39;m getting a cold :( )

LaLa*
12-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I was just about to ask because I rinsed my twists last night and this morning they look a hot mess...

but hey! I figure as long as I am retwisting them and not wearing any "out" styles then I am still in the protective challenge..

rinsing and keeping those twists in like this will have my hair locked in no time... so call it cheating or what but I will eventually have to retwist these.

Puffalishous
12-04-2005, 04:51 PM
I&#39;m in. I retwisted my hair last Monday. Wearing twist is so much better on my hair

ChelWren
12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Well, ladies, I am going to take my braids out and wash my hair today. I&#39;m going to put in 2 strand twists now. How long do they last? Do I need to part my hair and do it that way or can I just grab hair and go? Thanks.

Chelci

TrueSugar
12-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Okay, last night I pput my have i the so large box braid and I was unable to get at trim. ( more on that later)

Debonaire
12-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Well, ladies, I am going to take my braids out and wash my hair today. I&#39;m going to put in 2 strand twists now. How long do they last? Do I need to part my hair and do it that way or can I just grab hair and go? Thanks.

Chelci
[/b]

When I started to braid I&#39;d make sure that the part going across/horiztonal were done with a comb. However, from there I just grab and braid/twist. The last time I did twists I think that they lasted for 2 weeks but with box braids I can get 3 full weeks out of them.
HTH! :D

vnesa6543
12-04-2005, 08:06 PM
When I started to braid I&#39;d make sure that the part going across/horiztonal were done with a comb. However, from there I just grab and braid/twist.
[/b]

I do this as well.

ChelWren
12-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the help ladies. I&#39;ve been lazy today and I am just now taking my braids out. I will be washing and attempting my first 2 strand twist in about 30 minutes. :)

Chelci

w2goback
12-05-2005, 02:38 AM
Here is how I had my hair last week, but it got messy from all the hats that I wore and since I have to be presentable for my interview tomorrow I had my sister do it over.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4134.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4135.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4136.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4133.jpg

It is the worse to take the pix of my head when my husband is not around, I take so many misses before I get one good pix :lol:

w2goback
12-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Here is my interview style, I am going to rod the back so the ends can curl, and I am going to undo the twist in the front to make them fuller

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4137.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4138.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4143.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4140.jpg

ChelWren
12-05-2005, 03:49 AM
Well ladies, it&#39;s done! After 3 hours and 15 mintes I finally finished 2 strand twisting my hair at 10:35. I have to say I did a good job. I like it. The hardest part was the back. I put some rollers on the ends to give it some curl. I took one out and I like the look. I wish I could post pics. If I find a camera I will. Thanks for all the help ladies.

Chelci

jtsupa
12-05-2005, 03:57 AM
I am not going to wear a twist out on my birthday, box braided my hair up this weekend and hopefully these will last for the duration of the challenge

iscott555
12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
ok some of my twists are starting to unravel...is it cheating if I wear a twist out for a day and then retwist them? because my twist out is going to be so cute ( i can feel it!) and I want people to see it...either way i&#39;ll probably will be taking these down friday or so and putting them back in either friday night or early saturday. How are everyone elses twists holding up?

nappynae
12-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I took down my 2 week old twists on friday & retwisted on sunday. i almost didn&#39;t retwist (too tired), but i thought about all the ladies here on np that were twisting w/ me. thanks for the motivation. i did it on wet hair, which i haven&#39;t done in a while, and they look flatter & thinner. i usually band my hair for a day, then twist it on semi-dry hair. hopefully i&#39;ll take pics this week.

nae

dewdrop
12-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I&#39;m OUT. I lasted only 2 weeks with my box braids and last night I took them out for various reasons(which was grueling btw considering how small I made them). :icon_headshake:

Maybe when i&#39;m ready for a challenge then i&#39;ll join in the future. I encourage all the other ladies to keep going! (This is coming from a consistantly-hair-style-changing-nappy-addict). ;)

iscott555
12-08-2005, 07:23 PM
nappynae Posted Dec 6 2005, 10:19 AM
I took down my 2 week old twists on friday & retwisted on sunday. i almost didn&#39;t retwist (too tired), but i thought about all the ladies here on np that were twisting w/ me. thanks for the motivation. i did it on wet hair, which i haven&#39;t done in a while, and they look flatter & thinner. i usually band my hair for a day, then twist it on semi-dry hair. hopefully i&#39;ll take pics this week.

nae[/b]

how exactly do you band your hair? I&#39;ve seen people say how they do it, but I need a step by step type of thing

cloudyface
12-09-2005, 03:23 AM
I&#39;m still in with my twists. They&#39;re 2 weeks old. I considered undoing them because I went to the beach yesterday, and then had to wash them, so they got rather frizzy. Still looks pretty good to me though. I&#39;ll probably be taking them down next Wednesday...3 weeks is pretty good for me :)
@w2goback--ur cornrows are so neat! Your sister has some serious talent.

ETA-check out my album for my progress.

xayide79
12-09-2005, 03:46 AM
My braids are almost two weeks old and a bit frizzy. I&#39;m going to take them down tomorrow night for a good wash, DC, and then put my braids back in.

mocha22
12-09-2005, 03:52 AM
I&#39;m still in. I just redo my protective styles every other day or so. I need to wash my hair often, so my hair unravels. I also noticed that I will never do small braids again. I had them in for 2 days and taking them out to wash my hair was a pain in the A$$. Just imagine if I left them in longer. Anyway, everything is still fine, and my Oyin is working Wonderfully. I also wrap my hair when I go outside. It&#39;s getting very cold and I don&#39;t want my hair to get dry.

PrincessJaida
12-09-2005, 06:02 AM
I am in ladies, I started my box braids last week.

junee
12-09-2005, 09:33 AM
ist it ok to use extension for the braids?

ChelWren
12-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey ladies! Just updating. I kept braids in for 2 weeks and I have had 2 strand twists in for 5 days.

Chelci

DEElala1925
12-09-2005, 02:02 PM
:) i am in. will do box braids dec 10.try to keep them in till dec 31.

cheetarah198
12-09-2005, 03:04 PM
My box braids are still in and it&#39;s been 2 weeks and 2 days. They are getting frizzy now, but I&#39;ve learned to love frizz, so it doesn&#39;t bother me. I&#39;ve taken pics of some of the various ways I&#39;ve styled the braids and they&#39;re posted in my album. I&#39;ll easily make it to the holidays before I take these down to wash and rebraid.

And to anyone who wanted to know if taking the style down and redoing it was okay, the answer is yes. Although I have to say if you&#39;re taking it down because of frizz after a few days, it sort of defeats the purpose of a protective style, because there is still a lot of manipulation going on. Once you get used to it, frizz can be very attractive. IMO.

Keep braiding and twisting ladies!! We&#39;re already over a week into the month.

homestyle
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
I&#39;m still in with my twists. They&#39;re 2 weeks old. I considered undoing them because I went to the beach yesterday, and then had to wash them, so they got rather frizzy. Still looks pretty good to me though. I&#39;ll probably be taking them down next Wednesday...3 weeks is pretty good for me :)

[/b]

I wish I had your problem. :) In my neck of the woods we&#39;re under a travel alert due to freezing rain!!!

lizzes
12-09-2005, 03:16 PM
I just found this post, but I want to join the challenge. I actually twisted my hair on Monday night. I was planning to keep it this way at least until Christmas. I was in a hurry to get done, so I made them bigger than I usually do. I&#39;ll be separating some to make them smaller as I have time.

nu-curl
12-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I&#39;ve been braided up in cornrows since the end of November, approximately 13 days. I am trying to go for the full month-31 days... we&#39;ll see.

w2goback
12-09-2005, 05:01 PM
And to anyone who wanted to know if taking the style down and redoing it was okay, the answer is yes. Although I have to say if you&#39;re taking it down because of frizz after a few days, it sort of defeats the purpose of a protective style, because there is still a lot of manipulation going on. Once you get used to it, frizz can be very attractive. IMO.

Keep braiding and twisting ladies!! We&#39;re already over a week into the month.
[/b]

You must be reading my mind because I was planning to come here and post that even though, unlike other challenges, where you can&#39;t take the hair out for say 3 or 4 weeks at a time, our aim should be to keep our hands out of our hair and minimize styling and combing etc. I mean if you have somewhere fancy to go or you are having dandruff problems then do what you have to do, but don&#39;t just do it today and take it out tomorrow, this is hard for me, b/c I usually take my hair down every Saturday or Sunday, but I am trying to go as long as I can with each style. I use my aloe gel and my scarf to keep frizz down. Try ladies, try. We can do it

Jazitones
12-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Here is my interview style, I am going to rod the back so the ends can curl, and I am going to undo the twist in the front to make them fuller

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4137.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4138.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4143.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4140.jpg
[/b]

Okay I love this style. :wub:

TrueSugar
12-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Large Braids are frizzy will be doing twist tomorrow.

iscott555
12-09-2005, 07:07 PM
w2goback Posted Today, 11:01 AM

QUOTE(cheetarah198 @ Dec 9 2005, 10:04 AM)

You must be reading my mind because I was planning to come here and post that even though, unlike other challenges, where you can&#39;t take the hair out for say 3 or 4 weeks at a time, our aim should be to keep our hands out of our hair and minimize styling and combing etc. I mean if you have somewhere fancy to go or you are having dandruff problems then do what you have to do, but don&#39;t just do it today and take it out tomorrow, this is hard for me, b/c I usually take my hair down every Saturday or Sunday, but I am trying to go as long as I can with each style. I use my aloe gel and my scarf to keep frizz down. Try ladies, try. We can do it [/b]

Yeah i definitely wasn&#39;t taking mine down because of frizz...my twists were starting to unravel because I washed my hair a few times. I defnitely agree with minimizing the manipulation because my hair grew so much from the november braid challenge I did and although I want to take my hair down to see the progress, I am definitely going to hold out and have me a bangin twist-out on new years. For an update, tomorrow will be two weeks for me. What kind of twists does everyone have? Skinny ones, jumbos, or medium-sized ones?

eri
12-09-2005, 07:27 PM
just checking in...my cornrows have been in for 2 weeks. someone upthread mentioned taking small braids out to wash. fyi, you don&#39;t have to unbraid/twist to wash/nopoo. you can band your hair or make larger braids/twists(secure the ends) and then wash, concentrating on your scalp, not your hair. hth. :)

BLESS7
12-10-2005, 04:42 AM
Is it too late to join the challenge? For what it&#39;s worth I&#39;ve had twists in since the day after Thanksgiving...took them out yesterday and have a twist out today. I was planning on re twisting them tonight/tomorrow am. Now I&#39;ll have a reason.

BE BLESSED

queenwildcoilz
12-10-2005, 07:08 AM
just letting you know about my progress I am on
week #5 . I had to take down and completely wash
my hair tried some new stuff on it and made a nasty
white and flaky build-up :angry: , so I will be rebraiding this
saturday might even wrap it with yarn for a different
look :)

iscott555
12-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Ok so I finally got around to updating my album with pics from the november challenge and pics from the current challenge...feel free to stop by and leave me a message!

Godsgem
12-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I took my twists down after 11 days (I was going out to a neosoul showcase on Wed and thought a twistout would look better with my outfit. lol). Wore a twistout for 3 days (Wed, Thu, Fri) and will be washing and retwisting today (Sat) hopefully to keep them in for 12-14 days. I think I may be doing this routine from now on or maybe even into the summer. Twists are my favorite style b/c they are so convenient and versatile. And twistouts are my second favorite. I&#39;ll be doing this set of twists the same way I did them last time so I won&#39;t be taking pics but I have pics in my album of the last set. This PHC is really helping me keep my hands and comb out of my hair.

BBeauty
12-10-2005, 04:46 PM
It has been six days so far. I washed and conditioned my twists last night because my scalp was itching to be washed. This has made them puffy and frizzy ah well :D

DEElala1925
12-11-2005, 12:05 AM
:)yeh. my box braids are done. the challenge will be if they"ll last till dec 31. i:ve never kept one style this long. 3 cheers to challenged napppyheads. i:am sure there will be a lot of braided-twisted-out heads running amuck towards the years end :lol:

cloudyface
12-11-2005, 12:52 AM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I wish I had your problem. :) In my neck of the woods we&#39;re under a travel alert due to freezing rain!!!
[/b][/quote]

You gotta love the Caribbean... :D

LaLa*
12-11-2005, 06:31 AM
This is my 4th week twisted and I rinsed last week... and my frizz is OC!! But I&#39;m going to deal until the end of this week and then it is time to rinse again and retwist. I have a job to start for the holidays and I can&#39;t go the first day looking like the scarecrow at the head UH UH!
But I hope every one is learning to work through their frustration *as my drawing teacher would encourage me*

JUST KEEP SWIMMING -Nemo-

TotalNappz
12-11-2005, 06:52 AM
i tried twists but they were a total disaster . i tried braids last week but that didnt work , but today i washed and braided my hair ( very inprofessional) but i will try to keep them till 31st :)

ladybugs
12-11-2005, 06:54 AM
My conrows have been in for almost 2 weeks now. I will probably take them down, wash/deep condition and rebraid next Friday. I think I can do this for 2 more weeks...check out my first set of braids/conrows (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mo2k1us/my_photos)

BLESS7
12-11-2005, 05:55 PM
I&#39;ve created a DECEMBER Challenge folder in my album. So here I go!!

December Challenge (http://public.fotki.com/BLESS7/my_hairstyles/)

BE BLESSED

homestyle
12-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I took my old twists down yesterday (I had them in for about 2 weeks) and washed and retwisted. I&#39;m used to doing twists, but because of my impatience, I&#39;ve always done medium to large twists and due to the size, when I let them just hang, I look 10 years old so I&#39;ve always either pinned them up or worn a scarf.

Well yesterday, I took my time and did small twists and OH MY GOODNESS !!! I&#39;m in love!
I feel so good with these twists, and they hang so well. I wore them down as is to church today. I&#39;ll be keeping these in for the rest of the month easily. I&#39;ll oil the ends nightly with coconut oil spritz and tie them up.

I&#39;ve already decided that this will most likely be my style for the remainder of the winter, and I have this board and this challenge to thank for it, so "thank you" :wub:

kiwi
12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
I know I&#39;m sooo late on this challenge, but I would like to join.

I have twist extensions in for the TWA grow-out challenge, but I&#39;m so tempted to take them out. I miss my own hair, but I know if I take them out I&#39;ll be struggling to deal with my own hair and protect it from the elements over the holidays.

I want to keep this set of extensions in until at least December 31st.

iscott555
12-14-2005, 11:42 PM
How is everyone&#39;s hair doing? I don&#39;t know what&#39;s wrong with my hair...but it definitely does no like to keep twists in for a long time. I don&#39;t mind the fuzziness I can live with that...but for some reason my twists decide to unravel...for those of you who have twists lasting for 2 weeks or more at a time...how do you do it? I try touching up my twists but they still end up unraveling. I&#39;m wearing a twist out today because my twists (which have been in for a week and a day) were unraveling) and I&#39;m going to put some more twists in tonight after I come back from taking my final exam (yay! I&#39;m about to be a college graduate!) anyhow...so should I not wash my hair?! I just don&#39;t understand how to make the twists last for more than a week...please help

w2goback
12-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I must say I am holding my own I guess b/c I am not going anywhere, I am not too particular about how frizzy it is, with the winter upon us I always have my hat on. I am going to deep condition and have my sister re-do my hair it has been going now 2 weeks, this is long for me. I spirtz it daily to keep my scalp and my ends moist. I must say no itching either.

LaLa*
12-16-2005, 08:24 PM
I truly don&#39;t know what I am doing but I have not retwisted my hair since November 21. I&#39;ve washed and rinsed my hair several times since..
Actually I just DC for two days.. it wasn&#39;t intentional really but I eneded up leaving conditioner in my hair for two days, and my hair was beyond soft. I just rinsed this morning and put in leave-in conditioner so we shall see..

*gone to find the DC challenge post*

I truly don&#39;t know what I am doing but I have not retwisted my hair since November 21. I&#39;ve washed and rinsed my hair several times since..
Actually I just DC for two days.. it wasn&#39;t intentional really but I eneded up leaving conditioner in my hair for two days, and my hair was beyond soft. I just rinsed this morning and put in leave-in conditioner so we shall see..

*gone to find the DC challenge post*

ChelWren
12-16-2005, 09:29 PM
I&#39;m out. I took my twists out after 5 days. :(

Chelci

LaLa*
12-16-2005, 10:06 PM
aaww Chelci... hang in there girl.. you can do it!

w2goback
12-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Undid my crownrows and twisted my hair, applied an ORS Olive Oil Replenishing pack, deep conditioning to my hair on Thursday night with a plastic cap and my satin scarf I tied it down and went to sleep, took it out Friday evening abou 6:30 pm my hair is feeling the effects. Gave myself and nice wash and detangling, need a trim. I moisturized my ends with castor oil and spritzed my hair with some Rosemary and Mint, then twisted and covered it up with my satin scarf, my hair looks and feel like silk. I think I will do this more often. I miss puffs and twist out, I did not know that I would miss loose hair so much...LOL

iscott555: Are you getting your twist wet?? do you cover them at night?? what do you use to twist, do you spritz?? how long is your hair?? sometimes my twist in the back unravel and I just re-moisturize and redo them. When I get them wet in the shower they look a mess, so I know water daily and my twist do not mix. Do you do your twist on wet/damp or dry hair? Don&#39;t give up sweetie, we will find what works for you. PS congrats on graduating.

LaLa*I was coming here to ask what is considered too much of a good thing and how long is too long to keep a deep conditioner in one&#39;s hair. :lol: doesn&#39;t the hair just feel fantastic. I don&#39;t know if I could go for 2 days, my had was hot. Lala, did your hair not start locing with all the washing/rinsing you did?? am I understanding you correctly, you did all the washing with the twists in??

Chelci, why did you take them out so soon, what happened??

Debonaire
12-17-2005, 05:01 AM
Yea I took out my braids also and I&#39;m rocking a braid out. I have updates in my album.

Tomorrow I&#39;m going to take the rest out and then do this special bantu knot/twist style that I saw and that should take me to Christmas Eve.

vnesa6543
12-17-2005, 05:11 AM
2 weeks and twists are going strong. I cleansed my scalp with astringent (no I don&#39;t shampoo when I wear tiny twists), redid the front and around the middle part and oiled my ends. Looks as fresh as the first day. Check out how I maintain my twists.

2 week old twists (http://public.fotki.com/merie/growing_out_the_bob/dec_05_hair/)

LaLa*
12-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Nappy hat Addict.. 2 days is too long, more than 3 washes within 4 weeks (with the twists still in mind you.) is TOO much. I&#39;ve learned my lesson.. I am in the middle of retwisting now.. alittle bit over 1/4 of it done (not as far along as I would like) I have to retwist, my hair was starting to loc. I need a new method.. what is your daily/nightly method for keeping up these twists? sounds like you have this down pat.

vnesa.. LOVELY TWISTS lady!... how long did it take? That is a challenge for me to twist a little bit smaller. And here i thought my twists were skinny.... yours turned out great.

vnesa6543
12-17-2005, 03:01 PM
vnesa.. LOVELY TWISTS lady!... how long did it take? That is a challenge for me to twist a little bit smaller. And here i thought my twists were skinny.... yours turned out great.
[/b]

Thanks Lala. I like them tiny because they last longer. I am sure I could go beyond this challenge. They took me 7 1/2 hours but the outcome turned out great. I love twists. :wub:

ChelWren
12-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Chelci, why did you take them out so soon, what happened??[/b]
That got frizzy and I didn&#39;t like the look and I was supposed to take them out, wash, and re-do but I never did it. :(

Chelci

BBeauty
12-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Ermm...I&#39;m having my hair out tonight because I&#39;m going out for dinner :rolleyes: ...But it will be right back in those twists come Monday! :D

w2goback
12-17-2005, 04:21 PM
2 weeks and twists are going strong. I cleansed my scalp with astringent (no I don&#39;t shampoo when I wear tiny twists), redid the front and around the middle part and oiled my ends. Looks as fresh as the first day. Check out how I maintain my twists.

2 week old twists (http://public.fotki.com/merie/growing_out_the_bob/dec_05_hair/)
[/b]

Your twist are beautiful, I was all up and through your album. Girl you are an inspiration. My hands get so tired I rest all the time during twisting.

Chelci, how far along are you in your transition?? Frizz is the nature of our hair, so you should get used to it.

Lala, I spritz my hair and moisten my ends and slap my satin scarf or bonnett on at night and wala my hair is good to go, then I spritz in the morning again to get my hair awake again. Don&#39;t forget you can freshen up the twist that unravel or are not looking too fresh, I usually do the ones around the edges, those are the ones that gets messy. I do not let them get wet in the shower, my hair does not like that at all.

cheetarah198
12-17-2005, 05:49 PM
my braids are still in and going strong. I had to redo one in the back because I felt some hairs getting stuck in the braid and I didn&#39;t want the strands to snap. The redone braid looks longer than the rest because shrinkage has yet to set in. I took a comparison shot, to show just how much my hair shrinks up. I&#39;m gonna take these down on Thursday and wash and detangle it. Then on Friday I will spend all day rebraiding my hair. Lots of new growth and my hair is healthy and strong. So umm, who&#39;s down for continuing this thing into January?

w2goback
12-17-2005, 06:14 PM
I would continue, but I miss puffs, I miss having my hair out at least one day of the week. Anyone else feel me?

Debonaire
12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
So umm, who&#39;s down for continuing this thing into January?[/b]

I&#39;m definitely up for that! Honestly I haven&#39;t being doing that man yprotective styles before this but knowing that other people are in it with you makes it go by so much faster.

@NappyHat I hear you but in the long run I know its going to be better if I just stick this out for the winter months. So that keeps me motivated to not mess around in the fro even though I miss it dearly.

LaLa*
12-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I will because I know if I let my hair out it wont get put back into twist for like another month and then i will be kicking myself in the butt... but that reminds me...
* gone to start a post*

w2goback
12-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Fine why don&#39;t yall twist my arm then, I am down.

Question, how do you ladies cover your hair when you go out into the cold. What I have been doing is using my satin scarf and then putting on my wool hat.

I will be back to post some pix of my latest do.

In the next thread can we introduce ourselves, I feel like I do not know you ladies and I would like to get to know who is in this with me and if you ladies don&#39;t mind, please post one pix of your latest do, even if its last month. Thanks ladies

Intro could be
Last fire cream
Favorite hair product
How long you been nappy
Where you from
Favorite style

Thanks for playing along I appreciate it.

LaLa*
12-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Quick ?tion Nappy Hat...

how do you post a picture if you don&#39;t have an album.. llike on fotki or something like that? Although I think I am the only one on here without a fotki album...

I dont have a winter hat, scarf, glove set... *crossing my fingers for Christmas gift*

but I usually take my black fabric and tie it up the best way i can so it doesn&#39;t look "project-ish"

w2goback
12-18-2005, 03:54 AM
You can use a site like phototrail.com, or kodak, or yahoo or photobucket. There are a few other free sites do a google search and you will find a ton. I upload my pix there and then post them here. My album needs to be updated, I am about to create my 3rd album. The other 2 are old and outdated.

My scarf and hat are old. I lost the right hand to my glove :( and I just bought it.

w2goback
12-18-2005, 04:34 AM
As promised here is my latest style, done today Sat 11/17 by my sister. My hair feels healthy, looks healthy it is healthy. It has grown so much, especially in the front. WOW, I guess this less manipulation thing does work. I also gave myself a well deserved trim.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4201.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4174.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4203.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4202.jpg

Check out my length

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4192.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/shamsham/th_PICT4194.jpg

iscott555
12-18-2005, 07:19 AM
@nappy hat addict... thank you (i&#39;m so excited to be done!)...I wear a satin scarf to bed every night...I don&#39;t have a spritz ( i made a concoction but I hardly use it) I do wash my hair at least once a week while the twists are in, but maybe I&#39;ll try vnesa&#39;s method and use an astringent...as for length, it&#39;s in that in between stage It&#39;s not exactly a twa, but I wouldn&#39;t consider it long either...I just put some skinny ones in and we&#39;ll see how these work out...feel free to look at my album to get an idea about what my hair looks like and everything

iscott555
12-18-2005, 05:12 PM

[/b]
Ok so about the astringent...I&#39;m running out of my astringent but i have a clarifying lotion by clinique and it basically has the same ingredients as my astringent(wish I would&#39;ve known that before I bought the $13 bottle) anyways i was wondering if I can use the clarifying lotion (it&#39;s really a liquid I don&#39;t know why it&#39;s called lotion) instead of the astringent. I figured since it&#39;s a clarifier it should work just as well as an astringent since they both remove dirt and oil...let me know what you think

Mae
12-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Okay I am in.....these twists are going to last for the rest of Dec.....after that I will take them out to wash, but then they are going right back in....
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Monianne/decback2.jpg

I have more twist pics in my fotki album

vnesa6543
12-19-2005, 04:02 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Ok so about the astringent...I&#39;m running out of my astringent but i have a clarifying lotion by clinique and it basically has the same ingredients as my astringent(wish I would&#39;ve known that before I bought the $13 bottle) anyways i was wondering if I can use the clarifying lotion (it&#39;s really a liquid I don&#39;t know why it&#39;s called lotion) instead of the astringent. I figured since it&#39;s a clarifier it should work just as well as an astringent since they both remove dirt and oil...let me know what you think
[/b][/quote]
Uhm…I’ve always used Seabreeze so I don’t know what to tell you really. So take my advice at your own will. If it has similar ingredients I guess maybe you can try testing it on a portion of your scalp and see how it works (preferably the back of your head). If it gets rid of the build up it’s a winner in my book. And with astringent you should use them about every 2 weeks so your scalp does not become overly dry. After cleansing, apply a light moisturizer to your scalp and you’re done. I hope that helps. :blush:

LaLa*
12-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Today is week 4 that I have had these twists in... only retwisted once... I want to post a picutre but I don&#39;t have them uploaded anywhere...

2 more weeks to go... I&#39;m itching for a twist out... I&#39;m thinking about what to do with my hair for New Years... I have a post on that but after the New Year, right back in twists these go.. It&#39;s more convienient than a puff during the winter cuz I need to put a hat on my head

By the way Mae, your twists are lovely

vnesa6543
12-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Today is week 4 that I have had these twists in... only retwisted once... I want to post a picutre but I don&#39;t have them uploaded anywhere...

2 more weeks to go... I&#39;m itching for a twist out... I&#39;m thinking about what to do with my hair for New Years... I have a post on that but after the New Year, right back in twists these go.. It&#39;s more convienient than a puff during the winter cuz I need to put a hat on my head

[/b]

Maybe you can try yahoo!photos or fotki? I am itching to see your twists. :)

I second that @ Mae. Your twists are thick and beautiful.

iscott555
12-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I am working on week 4 (which will be this saturday) I hope the twists I have in now last until the end of december...I think because I did them skinnier this time they may last longer than a week :D

@vnesa forget what I said about the clarifying lotion I&#39;m about to go and get some seabreeze because I don&#39;t think the clarifying lotion did the trick...but how do I tell if it removed any build up?

@nappy hat addict I definitely feel you about wanting to wear your hair out, I&#39;m definitely having afro withdrawal and it&#39;s an every day battle to not take down my twists just to run my fingers through my hair (one day at a time)

I&#39;m definitely with keeping this up for january because over here it&#39;s soooo cold and I know my hair will thank me

DaSlantedOne
12-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Well ladies, it&#39;s done! After 3 hours and 15 mintes I finally finished 2 strand twisting my hair at 10:35. I have to say I did a good job. I like it. The hardest part was the back. I put some rollers on the ends to give it some curl. I took one out and I like the look. I wish I could post pics. If I find a camera I will. Thanks for all the help ladies.

Chelci
[/b]
Maybe this is a stupid question...but could you tell me how to do 2 standed twist? I&#39;ve been wanting to do something diffenent to my hair...this would be a good time for me to try something new...help your sister out..Please? :unsure:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Uhm…I’ve always used Seabreeze so I don’t know what to tell you really. So take my advice at your own will. If it has similar ingredients I guess maybe you can try testing it on a portion of your scalp and see how it works (preferably the back of your head). If it gets rid of the build up it’s a winner in my book. And with astringent you should use them about every 2 weeks so your scalp does not become overly dry. After cleansing, apply a light moisturizer to your scalp and you’re done. I hope that helps. :blush:
[/b][/quote]
How do you do twist anyway...I want to try something new

w2goback
12-19-2005, 06:07 PM
DaSlanted1, look above to the Natural Style workshop thread that is tacked above, you will learn about how to do many different styles. I am very visual when it comes to learning, so I think you should also take a walk through some albums. Question for you do you know how to plait? if you do then twisting is even easier, it is 2 strand instead of 3 and you are just twisting each section over the other. Most people do it with gel/butter/damp etc.

LaLa*
12-19-2005, 07:03 PM
ok only for you guys..

Nov/ Dec Challenge Pics http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kwilliams312/my_photos

I&#39;m packing so I can get ready to go home.. so I was rushing..

vnesa6543
12-19-2005, 07:11 PM
ok only for you guys..

Nov/ Dec Challenge Pics http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kwilliams312/my_photos

I&#39;m packing so I can get ready to go home.. so I was rushing..
[/b]

Lala your twists are so thick and lush (always wanted to use that word). :wub: You said your on your 4th week? Did you retwist all of them?

LaLa*
12-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah girl!!! Did you see how I was looking... JACKED UP!! I had too!

Usually when I put off twisting and my hair looks like that is the time when I want to go out or when people invite me out and I&#39;m like DOH! I should have twisted when I thought about it...

Although Vnesa I&#39;m going to try your astrigent method to keep my twist a little longer so I don&#39;t plan to twist again till ...... the 3rd or 4th week in January &#39;06

vnesa6543
12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
@vnesa forget what I said about the clarifying lotion I&#39;m about to go and get some seabreeze because I don&#39;t think the clarifying lotion did the trick...but how do I tell if it removed any build up?

[/b]

When using a q-tip just look at it. If its dirty you&#39;ve just removed buildup. ^_^

w2goback
12-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Lala, you have been hiding that beautiful head of hair from us. Your hair is beautiful and thick. I have never done my twist all back, I usually do a side part or a middle part. Thanks for finally posting.

Mae
12-20-2005, 03:18 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Maybe you can try yahoo!photos or fotki? I am itching to see your twists. :)

I second that @ Mae. Your twists are thick and beautiful.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks ladies :blush: ....I already have to retwist the top...they get fuzzy so quick....I am off to buy some seabreeze too.....

LaLa*
12-20-2005, 03:52 PM
I&#39;m thinking before the New Year (when I go out) I might as well get a conditioner wash and a mild retwist in. Might as well go in to the New Year with style and super fresh twists!... *thinking about going to the Walgreens for Dove*

EvesDilemma
12-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I&#39;m thinking before the New Year (when I go out) I might as well get a conditioner wash and a mild retwist in. Might as well go in to the New Year with style and super fresh twists!... *thinking about going to the Walgreens for Dove*
[/b]

Cool quote in your sig LaLa.

TrueSugar
12-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Just checking in my twist are holding up well.

LaLa*
12-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks Eve, &#39;preciate that

Please, I JUST retwisted and I am all ready starting to notice frizz! Its ook I think that I will condition wash and end up changing my style right before New Years other than that...

iscott555
12-21-2005, 06:24 AM
I am very excited because this set of twists has been in for a week and they seem like they&#39;re gonna last for awhile! I assume it&#39;s because I haven&#39;t put any water on my hair, which means i haven&#39;t washed it. I&#39;m trying out the astringent...it makes my head tingle, but maybe thats a good thing! Either way I&#39;m just happy my twists are hanging tough!

frolicious
12-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone,
I guess this is my first ever post so please go easy on mine.lol
Anyway decided to go natural and cut all my hair off at the begining of october so its quite short at the mo, don&#39;t like taking pictures but i do have one of the day I cut my hair because I went to a wedding so will post at a later date.
I&#39;m joining this challenge as I&#39;ve had my hair in braid extensions since the 3rd of december and will do till the new year.
I wash it once a week and apply a leave-in strengthner, I&#39;m currently following the crown and glory method on www.growafrohairlong.com but can&#39;t have it in braids for 2 months so shooting for 6 weeks. got a digicam so will take pictures when its out of the braids. I suppose this will be my real starting point since I hadn&#39;t measured my hair before.

my goals:
Short term:
to be able to hold hair in a bun i.e. with a hairband so I suppose that would be 6 inches

Longer term (to end dec 06):
12 inches

Long term:
20inches of strong healthy hair

LaLa*
12-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Hair is itching!!!

How often do you use the astringent?

nappynae
12-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I&#39;m kinda still in, wore my twistout longer than the weekend, i now have chunky twists in. but i think i&#39;m going to flat twist so i can have it out for new years. i&#39;m so tired these days, i don&#39;t know why i joined in this challenge, but i&#39;m trying to hang in there. i think i&#39;m really going to look into getting coils next month, or get my hair braided.

thank you for your inspiration ladies!

safe & happy holidays to you all!

darkgoddes
12-21-2005, 05:58 PM
I retwisted this morning after taking down and washing last night. I was getting a little frustrated because I thought my hair wasn&#39;t growing, but the mini twists touch the back of my neck. Got the swing thing going on.

Yay!

ChelWren
12-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey ladies. I kinda dropped out of this challenge because I took my twists out after 5 days because they were frizzy. I just re-did my twists 2 days ago and I did them smaller this time. So... they&#39;re back and better than ever! I&#39;m going to last until December 31st!

Chelci

xayide79
12-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I am still in. My braids are in their second week and looking pretty good. I should be able to hang on into the New Year.

I rebraided a couple that were coming out after washing, but that&#39;s it.

LaLa*
12-21-2005, 07:35 PM
nappynae > don&#39;t give up! enjoy the ease of the twist..by the way I love your avatar you are beautiful

darkgoddes > that is great! how long did you have your twists in!

Chelci > just keep swimming girl.. I am sure there are a couple of people that have to retwist more often then some people!

xayide > good going! I&#39;m hanging in till New Years too... do a nice style and then back in protective style they go

Godsgem
12-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Unfortunately I temporarily fell off the wagon. I took my 3nd set of twists out after only 7 seven days. I really was not feeling them and since I was going out I decided to take them out. I wore a twistout and am now wearing a puff because I haven&#39;t had time. My goal is to retwist on Christmas Eve morning but with all the last minute shopping, wrapping, cleaning, cooking, packing and holiday gatherings I&#39;m not sure if it will definitely happen. I miss my hair in twists though. This is the longest I&#39;ve kept my hair "out" since August. I was doing so well but I&#39;ll definitely be back on this challenge.

darkgoddes
12-22-2005, 01:44 AM
darkgoddes > that is great! how long did you have your twists in!

[/b]

I&#39;ve had them in since the 1st of the month. But my scalp tends to get dry and flaky (and it&#39;s really noticable) even if the hair is moisturized. So I took them down, DC, and conditioner washed last night. Redid them this morning.

w2goback
12-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Ladies don&#39;t give up. I retwisted the twist at my bangs and in the back of my head. I have also added the soft rollers to the ends to give it a curly look. Ladies keep trying different things to the twist while they are in, for example I will put a click clack or 2 to hold back the hair from my face, draw the longer hairs into a ponytail. Add a flower, there is so much you can do to keep it going. I miss my hair being out as well, but I have seen the difference with the little to no manipulation going almost 4 weeks now and I am not about to stop. So lets make it to Dec 31 together.

For the new year&#39;s eve everyone can ring it in with a fab twist out or a fro or anything you want. But come Jan 1 if you want to continue in the challenge you must twist up, braid up, cornrow up, as long as you are not down and out with loose hair to manipulate.

vnesa6543
12-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Hair is itching!!!

How often do you use the astringent?
[/b]

Every two weeks.

LaLa*
12-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Ladies don&#39;t give up. I retwisted the twist at my bangs and in the back of my head. I have also added the soft rollers to the ends to give it a curly look. Ladies keep trying different things to the twist while they are in, for example I will put a click clack or 2 to hold back the hair from my face, draw the longer hairs into a ponytail. Add a flower, there is so much you can do to keep it going. I miss my hair being out as well, but I have seen the difference with the little to no manipulation going almost 4 weeks now and I am not about to stop. So lets make it to Dec 31 together.

For the new year&#39;s eve everyone can ring it in with a fab twist out or a fro or anything you want. But come Jan 1 if you want to continue in the challenge you must twist up, braid up, cornrow up, as long as you are not down and out with loose hair to manipulate.
[/b]

You TELL EM, NHA!!

I&#39;m definitely doing half twist, half twist out for the New Year.. and for the January challenge (I know I am ahead of myself) but I am going to try and do my twist even smaller... for those that have seen my pictures. I&#39;m not sure if that is the best idea because I worry about tangles and knots at the ends! I need a remedy for that fast, or else my hair will never grow because I will have to keep cutting it

nu-curl
12-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Checkin&#39; in:

I&#39;ve had these cornrows in since November 26, and I still get compliments on &#39;em. I think I am going to keep them in until the end of the year, w/c will take me over the 1 month mark... or I might just take them out on the 26th of decmeber for fun, and before the New year, get myself braided up again. We&#39;ll see...

My braid hair regimen:
Wash my braids like normal, just a lil&#39; gentler.
Massage scalp daily, oil scalp every two days.
B4 bed, put on a scarf after massaging scalp, and go to bed.
Wear a scarf under my winter hats, and keep my head covered when in extreme cold.

Anyone thinking about continuing throughout January... or heck even throughout the rest of the winter? :)

iscott555
12-22-2005, 05:20 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

You TELL EM, NHA!!

I&#39;m definitely doing half twist, half twist out for the New Year.. and for the January challenge (I know I am ahead of myself) but I am going to try and do my twist even smaller... for those that have seen my pictures. I&#39;m not sure if that is the best idea because I worry about tangles and knots at the ends! I need a remedy for that fast, or else my hair will never grow because I will have to keep cutting it
[/b][/quote]

Wow I haven&#39;t even thought about January yet..but another month of protective styles will definitely do my hair some good in this weather (Davis is no joke!) I&#39;ve been surfing people&#39;s albums and I have seen some super cute hair styles I think I&#39;m going to start experimenting with some of those and see....i might just wear protective styles through all of winter! ya never know!..oh and I&#39;ve had these twists in over a week...i think they&#39;re definitely going to last another week...I&#39;m so excited!

Savantrice
12-22-2005, 06:04 PM
checking in:
so i started late...finals threw me off track...but i&#39;m in my second week with these twists. held off on steam treatments the first week, so i&#39;m hoping that i can stretch to three weeks and then take &#39;em out.

SassyDiva
12-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Count me in. I just took my hair down from a Nov Challenge. I want in on this one. Im going to wash my hair tonight(inshallah) and put it up in braids. and re due them ever couple weeks or so.