PDA

View Full Version : Confused About "heat And Straightening"

redgal
11-29-2005, 10:16 PM
I read the posting about "Heat and Straightening" Now I'm scared :unsure: . I use a hairdryer as well.I use the one with the comb attached, it makes it easier.But I do notice that my hair alwys turns out differnet each time I use it.I know it's not that healthy.Anyway, the posting said that heat is bad, so what do I do?I don't want to damage my hair :wub: .What other solutions are there?PLEASE HELP! I don't know how I can manage my hair without the use of a hairdryer.I also thought that the cool setting was a better alternative.Can I please get some feed back!?

MotherLand
11-29-2005, 10:22 PM
You can just airdry or put your hair in braids or something till they dry. Another option is plopping. (When you use a towel to dab at your hair.) Another is styling your hair while wet.

ambond0396
11-29-2005, 10:26 PM
My advice is to stop using the hair dryer and learn how to manage your hair without it. I am sure it makes it easier, but it not good for your hair. Here are some suggestions ...

1. Only "comb" your hair when it is wet.
2. Always use a wide tooth comb.
3. Start combing at the ends and work your way up to the root.

What styles are you wearing in your hair? I can guarantee you that it can be accomplished without the heat as long as you are not trying to wear it straight. Managing your natural is a learning process. You have to find the products and tools that will work for you and your hair and stick to those. Put the hair dryer away and get to know your hair. That is the only way you will learn how to deal with it.

redgal
11-29-2005, 10:26 PM
You can just airdry or put your hair in braids or something till they dry. Another option is plopping. (When you use a towel to dab at your hair.) Another is styling your hair while wet.
[/b]
Thanks, but is there something I can put in my hair while it's air drying?Something to help it easier to comb so it won't get all tangly and notted?I have dry hair too, so that's another problem.

ambond0396
11-29-2005, 10:29 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Thanks, but is there something I can put in my hair while it&#39;s air drying?Something to help it easier to comb so it won&#39;t get all tangly and notted?I have dry hair too, so that&#39;s another problem.
[/b][/quote]

Detangle only when wet, otherwise you will tear your hair out. I would suggest plaiting up the section once detangled if you want to style dry hair.

TGee
11-30-2005, 01:42 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Thanks, but is there something I can put in my hair while it&#39;s air drying?Something to help it easier to comb so it won&#39;t get all tangly and notted?I have dry hair too, so that&#39;s another problem.
[/b][/quote]

Detangle only when wet, otherwise you will tear your hair out. I would suggest plaiting up the section once detangled if you want to style dry hair.
[/b][/quote]

Hi...it might help to wash/condition/detangle your hair in sections. I often do this. After wetting my hair, I section it into 4 or 6 parts using a no metal small pony holder for each section. I do not wrap around my hair like it&#39;s a rubber band though. Just tight enough to hold the section until i get to it. Then I thoroughly drench the section i&#39;m working with with water (of course the rest of my hair gets wet too, but all the better!) then I ently slather in my shampoo or no-poo--depending. I wash my hair with shampoo infrequently, but with no poo--conditioner--mostly). In fact, let me ammend: I NEVER SLATHER in shampoo! I let that soak in, band it back up and move to the next section. Then I go back to the first one, and with my wide tooth comb or denman brush, I detangle each section. Lastly, I rinse the conditioner out and reband for my styling, doing each section in twist or braids, whatever--unless I&#39;m just going to rock a twa.

If it&#39;s a twa, then i just remove all the bands in the shower, place a towel on for a few minutes until I stop dripping and then add whatever moisturizing leave in i&#39;m going to use.

I agree with everything everyone said already too! A leave in might definitely help, and detangling really, should only be done when your hair is wet or very damp. Definitely, stay away from the blow dryer. It is NOT your friend! :angry:

HTH!

redgal
11-30-2005, 07:51 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Hi...it might help to wash/condition/detangle your hair in sections. I often do this. After wetting my hair, I section it into 4 or 6 parts using a no metal small pony holder for each section. I do not wrap around my hair like it&#39;s a rubber band though. Just tight enough to hold the section until i get to it. Then I thoroughly drench the section i&#39;m working with with water (of course the rest of my hair gets wet too, but all the better!) then I ently slather in my shampoo or no-poo--depending. I wash my hair with shampoo infrequently, but with no poo--conditioner--mostly). In fact, let me ammend: I NEVER SLATHER in shampoo! I let that soak in, band it back up and move to the next section. Then I go back to the first one, and with my wide tooth comb or denman brush, I detangle each section. Lastly, I rinse the conditioner out and reband for my styling, doing each section in twist or braids, whatever--unless I&#39;m just going to rock a twa.

If it&#39;s a twa, then i just remove all the bands in the shower, place a towel on for a few minutes until I stop dripping and then add whatever moisturizing leave in i&#39;m going to use.

I agree with everything everyone said already too! A leave in might definitely help, and detangling really, should only be done when your hair is wet or very damp. Definitely, stay away from the blow dryer. It is NOT your friend! :angry:

HTH!
[/b][/quote]
Thanks girl. I will try that. good tip.Just waiting for my new shampoo and conditioner from Fedex I ordered the other day(Nature&#39;s Gate Rainwater Herbal Awapuhi).Anyway, thanks again great tips. I hope it works.Maybe I&#39;ll let you know how it turns out.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

HTH!
[/b][/quote]
Thanks girl I&#39;ll try that the next time I wash my hair(Pray for me :lol: )

yome
11-30-2005, 07:57 PM
I thought the question was about techniques to dry the hair. But all the responses were tips on how to wash it.

I too am interested in how everyone dries their hair especially because its cold now, and wet hair only makes you colder.

LadyLibra
11-30-2005, 08:06 PM
i know it&#39;s still heat, but i&#39;ve found that the dome hair dryer (you know, the one that you sit under) is a lot less damaging. i still like to let my hair air-dry most of the way, then sit under the dryer for 30 minutes.

also during this cold season, i am trying to do more protective styles. this way, i don&#39;t have to wash my hair every day and worry about how to dry it. ;) HTH

redgal
11-30-2005, 08:08 PM
I thought the question was about techniques to dry the hair. But all the responses were tips on how to wash it.

I too am interested in how everyone dries their hair especially because its cold now, and wet hair only makes you colder.
[/b]
Yeah the question is about how to dry hair without hairdryer.I&#39;m going to take TGee&#39;s tip about how to manage it in the shower while washing by sectioning so it can be easier to manage while air drying.I think the main idea is to have it detangled as best as you can while wet, so when it is dry it will be easier to comb/style.HTP.I got something out of it.But I welcome anymore suggestions on how to dry hair without heat.

Jazitones
11-30-2005, 08:11 PM
I haven&#39;t read all of the replys. But let me say this, blow drying is and can be very bad for your hair, because it is direct heat to the hair which can fry and dry the hair out. If you want to stretch your hair out for length and better manageability then try a good detangler and braid or twist your hair up.

yome
11-30-2005, 08:17 PM
I usually band or twist my hair and sit under a hooded dryer. This kind of dryer can&#39;t be damaging right? This is the safest way to get dry hair faster.

redgal
11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I usually band or twist my hair and sit under a hooded dryer. This kind of dryer can&#39;t be damaging right? This is the safest way to get dry hair faster.
[/b]
Girl you need to read the thing that DeeCoily posted it&#39;s titled "About Heat and Straightening" I think, it&#39;s under natural hair discussion. Read, girl.Hooded or not, it&#39;s saying heat is bad.

xayide79
11-30-2005, 08:50 PM
I dry my hair with a microfiber towel and then braid it and let it airdry. The towel does most of the work, so my hair is usually dry within 15-20 minutes. This has worked well for me whether my hair is loose or braided when I wash or rinse.

thunderstorm
11-30-2005, 08:58 PM
if you don&#39;t want to leave your house with a damp or wet head during the cold months, use a diffuser. you can probably find an attachment for your blow dryer.

a diffuser distributes the air so that instead of blasting a stream of heat onto a small area of hair, it spreads the air over a larger area of your head so that your hair dries faster and without as much direct "hot" air. if you can diffuse with cool air, even better. if not, this is still a more efficient way to dry wet, winter hair.

ambond0396
11-30-2005, 09:19 PM

[/b]

I always air dry my hair. I will detangle and plait it up in sections while its wet if its not in a protective style. I will use a towel to stop it from dripping.

Now as far as going out and dealing with the cold .... I will make sure its not dripping when I head out the door. Plus I normally do this first, so by the time I am ready to leave the house it may be wet but not soaking wet.

pwr_puff
11-30-2005, 11:42 PM
-now that its cold, i limit my hair washing to once or twice a week. right now i have my hair out in a fro, but usually, i keep medium to small twist so i can wear scarves and hats...
after i conditioner-wash, i put 6-8 twist in my hair a couple of hours before i go to bed and i leave them twisted until my hair thoroughly dries, then i finger comb and brush each section. HTH ;)

pacunurse30
11-30-2005, 11:53 PM
I read the posting about "Heat and Straightening" Now I&#39;m scared :unsure: . I use a hairdryer as well.I use the one with the comb attached, it makes it easier.But I do notice that my hair alwys turns out differnet each time I use it.I know it&#39;s not that healthy.Anyway, the posting said that heat is bad, so what do I do?I don&#39;t want to damage my hair :wub: .What other solutions are there?PLEASE HELP! I don&#39;t know how I can manage my hair without the use of a hairdryer.I also thought that the cool setting was a better alternative.Can I please get some feed back!?
[/b]
I actually tried blow drying the other day and I didn&#39;t like it. It was the first time a blow dryer has touched my hair since my last chemical fire cream (August &#39;04)!! It made my hair fried, dry, and frizzy looking. I ended up going back into the shower to re-wet my hair. I am now back to just letting it dry naturally. I usually wrap in it a terri towel to soak up excess water.

emerald06
11-30-2005, 11:56 PM
I know this isn&#39;t an option for everyone, but it&#39;s a suggestion to put in the box. Now, I&#39;m in the South. My Georgia winter isn&#39;t the same as an Illinois winter. So take the following advice with that knowledge.

I rinse every morning. This winter I&#39;ve stopped using conditioner everyday because it makes my hair a little too wet. I deep condition on the weekends to make up for it. I also use less product (gel/cream/grease). I find this helps too.

Also, if you get up early enough like I do, your hair can get 85% dry before you leave the house if you follow the other steps listed above.

Sometimes, if I&#39;m late or in a hurry (or just really cold at 5:30 a.m. :lol: ), I&#39;ll use a diffuser for a few minutes. I try to limit it so that I don&#39;t get addicted to the quick fix.

HTH ^_^

vicchnu
12-01-2005, 01:05 AM
I agree with everyone else about using a hand held dryer. I haven&#39;t used any type of dryer since i&#39;ve been nappy ( a year and a half). I&#39;ve also dumped the comb. I never use a comb on my hair. I dry my hair in a puff so i like my coils than when i put my twist (which i wear 90% of the time) i do it with my fingers and detangle with my fingers also. I have very think nappy hair so you can do it with your fingers.

Say no to the comb in 2006!!!

emerald06
12-01-2005, 03:27 AM
It might sound like I&#39;m making this up, but I really am not. The day before yesterday I was cleaning out my bathroom closet to make some room and I came across this blowdryer box. (You&#39;ve gotta keep the box in case it&#39;s defective, right?) So I grab it to place it in the cardbord recycling. As I pull out plastic and what not, my hand brushes across a COMB ATTACHMENT still in its wrapping! :lol:

I KNOW I&#39;m not using it on my precious hair. But I&#39;m sitting here thinking, what can I do with this thing? It seems so wasteful to throw it away. There&#39;s got to be something creative I can do with it!

coilyC
12-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Hello,

I have no confusion whatsover with not using heating appliances. heating appliances are destructive to those of us with naturally tightly coiled textures. I can definitely testify to it.
It is because of my last trip to the hairstylist that heat of all proposion nearly fried my hair to death. I really mean it. Too much from the regular dryer that you sit under, too much from the curling iron plus silicone cream, the shop only allowed one perm for all. It was horrible! I look at some in my family who are still using silicone creams, curling irons, blw dryers etc. they still seem to have lots of hair, but somehow I don&#39;t feel that the hair is healthy!! Also from time to time I notice that their ends are very split. I think when we make a decision to go natural we have to realize that the practices and the choices that we once made were not the best ones for our crowns. Therefore you have renewed thinking. I got rid of all my heating appliances and I let my hair dry naturally-air dry. Yes it is cold during the winter months and so You choose a time when you have enough time to do what is necessary for your hair. blot with towel, plop, The other night I did comb coils because I can do them with my hair damp and they retain their moisture that way. I try to choose a time when I can kick back and let my hair just do its natural thing. I really think the key is to choose technique and styles that you can do so that the hair has time to dry on its own. The only thing I want for my hair is to thrive !! Sometimes I can&#39;t even believe the stress tha I really did put on my hair with all that heat!!
Peace to you.
luv my natural crown

MissThing606
12-01-2005, 09:48 AM
I read the posting about "Heat and Straightening" Now I&#39;m scared :unsure: . I use a hairdryer as well.I use the one with the comb attached, it makes it easier.But I do notice that my hair alwys turns out differnet each time I use it.I know it&#39;s not that healthy.Anyway, the posting said that heat is bad, so what do I do?I don&#39;t want to damage my hair :wub: .What other solutions are there?PLEASE HELP! I don&#39;t know how I can manage my hair without the use of a hairdryer.I also thought that the cool setting was a better alternative.Can I please get some feed back!?
[/b]

I used to do the same thing as you thinking it would make dealing with my hair easier. maybe it did, back when I didn&#39;t knwo how to care for it. But I damaged my hair big time:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57499

babygurl
12-01-2005, 11:38 AM
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">stay encouraged, and the plaiting works well for me!</span>

kimmibear
12-01-2005, 12:02 PM

[/b]

i wash mine at night and sleep with it in braids. i take them out in the morning when my hair is dry and go. i&#39;m trying to get good enough at the whole protective style that i can do that when it&#39;s wet and leave it, but i need more practice. right now, my protective style attemps are for behind closed doors only, lol.

Blackstar
12-01-2005, 12:10 PM

[/b]
i wonder if we need a winter hair care forum,cause there must be hundreds of posts just repeating themselves :lol: :D

i&#39;ve not skimped on wetting my hair twice a day. cause winter or summer my hair still needs the moisture.

what i do is make extra thick leave-in creams for my hair. this seals in the moisture and gets rid of drippies. my hair dries quickly but remains soft.

my signature has links to the flax cream i made from looking at spiral and charise&#39;s album. they got hip to shea butter&#39;s affinity with flaxseed or any other gel you like.

for drying your hair try plopping. the link is in my signature.

you can either use a satin scarf or a huge t-shirt.

plopping absorbs excess moisture, so you can air dry without dripping water everywhere.

this is my winter care routine.

:D