PDA

View Full Version : Little Tangled Hair Balls

LovlyEssence
11-30-2005, 02:40 AM
hello everyone. its been a while since ive posted, mainly cause the last time i posted i was told that i was asking a repetative question and pretty much got shut down. So i warn that i looked to see if this question im asking has been asked, but if it has i apologize cause i didnt see it.

I get little balls in my hair. All the time. Its like little tanlged balls of hair, but i cant take them out without literally ripping my hair. My hair is now starting to thin. i used to have really THICK hair and its no longer like that. I tried to get detangler but it doesnt work. my hair is dyed on the ends cause im waiting for it to grow out,, so i cant cut it. i think my hair might be weak. im not sure if its damaged or not, but i dont know if that can have anything to do with tangled balls... i would think that would only cause it to break off (which it does every now and again). am i wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? Im not sure what to do. i think i might cut it all off and try again, maybe ill try to get dreds. does anyone have any suggestions???

here is a pic of my hair about a month ago (wet):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/LovelyEssence/2005_0112Image0035.jpg

iandi
11-30-2005, 03:19 AM
do you detangle? Those little balls of hair could be due to shed hairs that haven't been taken out by detangling. I have the same problem, and I find that when I detangle properly, I dont see them as much.

I usually detangle in the shower, with lots of conditioner on my hair. I either use my fingers or a wide toothed comb. I prefer to use my fingers, though.

TGee
11-30-2005, 11:23 AM
hello everyone. its been a while since ive posted, mainly cause the last time i posted i was told that i was asking a repetative question and pretty much got shut down. So i warn that i looked to see if this question im asking has been asked, but if it has i apologize cause i didnt see it.

I get little balls in my hair. All the time. Its like little tanlged balls of hair, but i cant take them out without literally ripping my hair. My hair is now starting to thin. i used to have really THICK hair and its no longer like that. I tried to get detangler but it doesnt work. my hair is dyed on the ends cause im waiting for it to grow out,, so i cant cut it. i think my hair might be weak. im not sure if its damaged or not, but i dont know if that can have anything to do with tangled balls... i would think that would only cause it to break off (which it does every now and again). am i wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? Im not sure what to do. i think i might cut it all off and try again, maybe ill try to get dreds. does anyone have any suggestions???

[/b]

I would just trim them. I know you are waiting for your hair to grow out, but damaged ends will just keep your hair from appearing neat and well groomed if you are not careful. I had a similar problem when I took down my locs. I had 5.5 inches all around, but had to cut down to 3.5 to 4 b/c the ends were just too damaged and needed to be cared for.
After about a month to month and a half, all was well. It could be the hair color at the ends, it could be from the constant ripping. I'm not saying to cut all the way to where your natural color begins, just the very very ends of the colored part.

Have you tried to detangle gently in the shower? You may be able to get away with trimming just 1/4 inch all around. From everything that i read here and on other sites, totally damaged ends can not really be repaired to a healthy state. I pretty much found this to be true which is why I trimmed. Hopefully, if you just try to "baby" your ends a little bit more you can prevent any more damage.

makeba
11-30-2005, 10:54 PM
those hair balls could be a sign to trim your hair!!!! i usually get them when its time for a trim. split ends will not repair themselves. split ends have to be cut. get a good trim, deep condition your hair after every shampoo. pre shampoo treatments with honey and olive oil are good. natural hair has to be treated with kindness so dont tug and pull at it. when you detangle use a detangling comb and then brush the shed hair out.
you will be fine just keep checking the beautiful sistas hair albums and ask all the questions you want!!

jetaimeisnatural
12-15-2005, 05:37 AM

[/b]

I feel you sisa! One of the main reasons I joined nappturality was so I could find someone who could tell me what is up with these little balls! I hate them! My hair was so long after growing it out for a year in two strand twist. But since I've been wearing it in a puff I get these balls of hair that are knotted together, and a lot of shedding.. My hair has lost about half of its density and length, even though I still have a good amount of hair. I definaty deep condition in the shower and do my best to detangle...But I haven't tried trimming my ends yet. I plan on doing that and I'll keep in touch to let you know if there are any improvements.
Peace
JeT'aime :P

queenwildcoilz
12-15-2005, 06:55 AM
I think you need to trim your ends that is what I
do when I get hair balls. I trim it and the problem
is taken care of this is the only time I will cut my
hair is when the hair balls arrive... :)

Dreenie
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree. I haven't trimmed my hair in a year and for the past 6 months I have had little hairballs when I shampoo and when I comb my hair. I am going to get a trim next week and I think that will fix them. Good luck!

tiffannim
07-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I agree. I haven't trimmed my hair in a year and for the past 6 months I have had little hairballs when I shampoo and when I comb my hair. I am going to get a trim next week and I think that will fix them. Good luck!
[/b]

I came on here to ask the same question. What do I do about these hair balls I keep getting? I have had so many problems concerning growth due to the hair balls I comb through my hair and more hair comes out I have trimmed to I think I will start over. My ends may have been split to far up the strands.

Thank you all for your input.

MeechUK
07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
I came on here to ask the same question. What do I do about these hair balls I keep getting? I have had so many problems concerning growth due to the hair balls I comb through my hair and more hair comes out I have trimmed to I think I will start over. My ends may have been split to far up the strands.

Thank you all for your input.
[/b]

I had the same problem and in the end I did a BC right down to my scalp! I think that if I trim my hair more frequently, at least every 3 months, that I will retain my hair health as well as length. After a week my regrowth is growing in thicker and curlier, and most importantly split-end free!

GalaxyGirl2012
07-13-2006, 10:04 PM
also be careful of how you detangle. ripping through tangles and knots is a good way to do damage :)

giggleblue
07-14-2006, 01:00 PM
i get the little balls, but it's like therapy to me to pull them out, so i don't bother to trim. i find myself pulling them out any and everywhere though...

tiffannim
07-15-2006, 11:49 PM
I had the same problem and in the end I did a BC right down to my scalp! I think that if I trim my hair more frequently, at least every 3 months, that I will retain my hair health as well as length. After a week my regrowth is growing in thicker and curlier, and most importantly split-end free!
[/b]

Thanks for your advice. I need some inspiration I have really been at this for a while and had some minor set backs. i don't exactly know how to wear it. I am looking at alot of pics trying to get some ides my hair is four inches.

Pebbles
08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I dealth with those big time in the beginning. I was told to ignore them, but that was hard to do because I had to pull these tangled knots out of my hair all the time. I seem to have grown out of the balls at the end of my hair. I have no clue why. Maybe because my hair is in better shape in general. My hair still likes to tangle. This (http://www.pebblespage.com/gpage22.html) is my routine to combat this problem. Look at my August comments.

zaftig77
08-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I was stuck with little hair balls, too. I realized that although all of my hair including my ends were natural, My ends werent as well cared for because it was the hair from when I FIRST started...when I was still using yucky products and not moisturizing/spritzing well. I cut them 6 months ago, and I haven't expereinced any hair balls since. IMHO, I think you should snip 'em: Save yourself the grief.
HTH, ^_^
Zaf