PDA

View Full Version : hair still straight after pressing

cherrysoda
12-11-2003, 04:06 PM
my hair was pressed about 3 weeks ago and is still straight at some parts. i have wahsed it and conditioned 3 times already...she used flat iron and the comb, cause my hair had not been pressed before. What is the deal? she said it would change the texture a bit and i would notice it when i washed that it would be less kinky (my hair is highly textured)...

LotsOfLocs
12-11-2003, 04:10 PM
The deal is hair straightening can damage your naps. Some people have had to do the big chop over again. Hair straightening is not healthy. I hope you have better luck with your hair. There has been a lot of pressing cheerleaders around here. But hair straightening can be just as damaging as relaxers.

pookeylou
12-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Does this mean that pressing "melted" her hair? :pop

tran68
12-11-2003, 04:39 PM
I'd never let anyone press my hair, flat iron or whatever w/o knowing how hot the apparatus is, testing it on a few strands in the back and wetting it to see if it snapped back or not. It's what I do for me , so I'd only expect others to just as careful as I am.

I recently straightend and my hair is totally nappy today as it was before any heat touched it, you have to know what you're doing (and the person you trust with the appliance has to as well), otherwise anything can happen, especially if the individual doesn't know that not everyone's hair should have the same amount of heat applied.....pressing doesn't have to permanently alter the texture of your hair.

Dolliesdaughter
12-11-2003, 04:42 PM
You may have to cut you straight parts out. Like I have said before. Heat + Hair = Damage. There is no way around it.

ynotani
12-11-2003, 08:29 PM
i recently had my hair pressed and when i washed it i noticed it was a little different too...but not for long (lol).
wash it and deep condition it again...when washing make sure you manipulate it alot in order to 'revive' your coils...i know it sounds weird, but it works. don't overdo it, just massage it a bit more. lemme know what happens...aight?

happidaz
12-11-2003, 08:39 PM
as a self-proclaimed "pressing chearleader", I have never had a problem with mny hair returning to its natural state after a hard press. Granted, I only press my hair 2-3/year, and would be afraid to press it any more than that. Unfortunately, I think it just depends on your hair, and it just may not be able to handle a hard press...

SugaSmacks
12-11-2003, 08:40 PM
I think if you press or add heat to your hair too often it could very well change your texture. But pressing or adding heat very seldom seems to me as if it wouldn't change it....but then again it may. I pressed my hair with and ol' school hot comb about 2mths ago. When I washed it a couple of days later all of my curls came back. One thing I did do was a clarifying shampoo and a deep condition....so maybe that will help you hair to "snap back"!!!

cherrysoda
12-11-2003, 08:51 PM
ok, thanks ynotani and lady sunshine, and the rest of replies too...it is weird cause it is only a bit in the front and side at the back where it is straight, man i hope i dont have to cut it like what alken said...yikes...anyhow i am scared to do it agian...

mecca_thenappy
12-11-2003, 08:56 PM
i co-sign with happidaz. i get my hair pressed once or twice a year (usually winter) and after a good wash, it snaps back. i also only go to a person who is skilled with pressing natural x-tra nappy hair.

Aquarius
12-11-2003, 08:56 PM
The clarifying shampoo might help. Maybe the heavy oils (grease) that she probably used is still keeping the water out, and holding the straightness.

I would give it a shot, and deep condition after to combat dryness. Good luck

chickiebrown
12-11-2003, 09:19 PM
I must admit I had to cut my hair once after getting my hair pressed. If you do this again make sure that she doesn't use heavy oil or grease because it keeps the hair straight because it is burned into your hair. Maybe just use a low heat flat iron and wrap it up overnight and re flat iron (low heat). I don't recommend using heat after my experience but this is alot better than hot combs.

CEE26
12-11-2003, 09:27 PM
I've had my hair pressed twice so far..once last year and just last week..first time was with a hot comb and the second time was with flat irons...some hair stylist/or just regular people use to much heat on our hair..no matter how "nappy" one head is,..there isn't a need to use flat iron and the hot comb..(damn!)..that's alot of heat..

good luck next time

netta1
12-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Pressing just sounds like such a "chancing" experience, I mean why even go there, heck I'm even afraid to blow-dry :huh . Sorry about your problem, I hope your naps find their way home :blab .

HuGrad2002
12-11-2003, 09:51 PM
I have never pressed my hair b/c I have heard too many horror stories on this board. But I do blow it out every few weeks and it takes about a day or two for my hair to return to its natural state

ooooo
12-11-2003, 11:25 PM
what level of heat did the stylist use? seems to me that using a pressing comb AND a flat iron is overkill.

i don't think i ever wanna use heat on my hair but if i do i will do it MYSELF with LOW HEAT quality curling iron after a LO HEAT BLOW-OUT and/or twist/braid/bantu out.

hmph.

ashrob123
12-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by cherrysoda@Dec 11 2003, 11:06 AM
my hair was pressed about 3 weeks ago and is still straight at some parts. i have wahsed it and conditioned 3 times already...she used flat iron and the comb, cause my hair had not been pressed before. What is the deal? she said it would change the texture a bit and i would notice it when i washed that it would be less kinky (my hair is highly textured)...
Honestly, washing it probably isn't going to do any good. You may want to do a search and see the numerous horror stories of folks pressing their hair and it never coming back. Most people just end up cutting it out because the hair is damaged.

Question:

If she told you it may change your texture, why did you allow her to do it?

jetblackkinks
12-12-2003, 12:01 AM
I always have to check in with my story on these pressing topics...maybe I can save another napptural head like I wish someone had saved me. I got my hair pressed once, ONCE and there were two good sized straight pieces that NEVER EVER got any where near nappy again...it was heartbreaking to say the least. This was the first time I went natural and to make a long story short, I ended up "texturizing" and then perming again after a while in a fit of exasperation because the straight pieces were driving me crazy. And eventually I did the second and final big chop, and here I am today. But I could have avoided all of that drama and had all the glorious nappy hair that I am pining away after today if I had never listened to my mother's suggestion to press it. I know some can get away with it, but please BEWARE people!!! Some of our hair will NEVER GO BACK after it has been pressed and it is NOT CUTE. It's not worth it for a few days of wearing your hair bone straight.

This also happened to a friend of mine, and I think she just cut the straight pieces out...also heartbreaking, and I'm not sure of the long term ramifications of that, but that is what I'd suggest for now. I hope that helped cherrysoda, and I'm so sorry you had to go through this!! :blab Please beware from now on of anything that could "change your texture"!!!

jetblackkinks

NubianPrincess
12-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Is there any way that we can have a "sticky" on this site, warning that pressing hair, even if it's for the first time, can cause permanent damage/straightness to one's hair?

I think it would be a good "buyer beware" warning.

Aesys
12-12-2003, 12:37 AM
I was never aware that these things could happen to your hair. I believe my hair was pressed once a week when I was younger and as soon as any moisture (humidity, water) came around my hair coiled right back up. Interesting indeed.

jetblackkinks
12-12-2003, 12:46 AM
I know it's shocking Aesys to those of you who have had no problems with pressing, but it's true!!! Pressers BEWARE!!! Please!! I'm tellin' y'all, I was soaking my whole head in a tub full of water everyday for at least that whole first week after I "washed the press out"...nothing. I'm talkin' 'bout I was just chillin' for hours laying in the tub like, I KNOW my naps will be back when I get up out of here...:lol I wasn't laughing then though. Wasn't funny at all. :nohuh

jetblackkinks

MoonStar
The same thing happened to me when I blow dried my hair. All I did was 'two-strand twist' it and it went back to normal.

Tori
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounded to me like she wanted her texture changed somewhat. Did I read that right?

Aesys
12-12-2003, 12:49 AM
It's good to know...just makes you wonder why it happens to some and not others. Sorry that you and the others who this happened to experienced such damage. Will definitely think three times b4 pressing my daughter's hair. She's too young now, but I considered it a style option down the line.

ini
12-12-2003, 12:50 AM
sorry this happened to you hon. i don't press (or blowdry) my hair...too many horror stories. unfortunately SOME people have permanent damage from pressing and it never 'snaps back'.

ashrob123
12-12-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Aesys@Dec 11 2003, 07:37 PM
I was never aware that these things could happen to your hair. I believe my hair was pressed once a week when I was younger and as soon as any moisture (humidity, water) came around my hair coiled right back up. Interesting indeed.
But you have to remember, back in the day you wanted your hair to be straight and not nappy. Were you wearing styles where you needed your hair to be nappy? If not, even if most of your hair went back, there may have still been spots that didn't. How would one notice? If someone did notice, like whoever straightened your hair, they probably didn't say anything because it was good. Your hair was "trained".

I've found that only people who wear their hair nappy notice it because, well, they wear their hair nappy.

ashrob123
12-12-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Tori@Dec 11 2003, 07:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounded to me like she wanted her texture changed somewhat. Did I read that right?
I kinda got that impression as well.

ini
12-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by ashrob123+Dec 11 2003, 08:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ashrob123 @ Dec 11 2003, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Aesys@Dec 11 2003, 07:37 PM
But you have to remember, back in the day you wanted your hair to be straight and not nappy. Were you wearing styles where you needed your hair to be nappy? If not, even if most of your hair went back, there may have still been spots that didn&#39;t. How would one notice? If someone did notice, like whoever straightened your hair, they probably didn&#39;t say anything because it was good. Your hair was "trained".

I&#39;ve found that only people who wear their hair nappy notice it because, well, they wear their hair nappy. [/b][/quote]
EXACTLY! My mother pressed her hair for years and she told me she noticed it but counted it as a GOOD thing &#39;cause she wanted straight hair.

NubianPrincess
12-12-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by ashrob123+Dec 11 2003, 07:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ashrob123 @ Dec 11 2003, 07:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Aesys@Dec 11 2003, 07:37 PM
But you have to remember, back in the day you wanted your hair to be straight and not nappy. Were you wearing styles where you needed your hair to be nappy? If not, even if most of your hair went back, there may have still been spots that didn&#39;t. How would one notice? If someone did notice, like whoever straightened your hair, they probably didn&#39;t say anything because it was good. Your hair was "trained".

I&#39;ve found that only people who wear their hair nappy notice it because, well, they wear their hair nappy. [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s a good point. I always say to myself that when I was natural at 14, I never noticed any hair not "going back," after a hard press...but back then, I was teased so horribly for my natural hair, that I have no idea whether some parts went straight. At least MOST of it wasn&#39;t. Thats all I saw.

JustKei
12-12-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by ashrob123+Dec 11 2003, 07:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ashrob123 @ Dec 11 2003, 07:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Aesys@Dec 11 2003, 07:37 PM

I pressed a little part of my natural hair when I was about 10. I was away for the summer and when my aunt was done doing her hair I grabbed the comb and touched a little part. I tried to keep this from my Mom needless to say 4 weeks later when I returned home thinking my hair was back to normal my Mom scolded me for pressing my hair :huh (how did she know I have no idea.) From what I remember back then pressing hair was definitely a no no :nohuh

cherrysoda
12-12-2003, 04:01 PM
thank you chickie brown, Aquarius, netta1 and all the other replies from my sistas. good advice i appreciate it. i will be patient, i hope i don&#39;t have to cut, sistas i am not doing it again, Andre&#39;s hair is crazy pressed in his new video...but i really don&#39;t think i should go there...the clarifying shampoo theory sounds right, cause i saw a lot of red dax in the water after the shampoo, she over did it with my hair with the oil...what shampoo should i get? i think Hugrad2002 may be right!

Noko
12-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by pookeylou@Dec 11 2003, 11:19 AM
Like cheap plastic on a hot stove!

All the clarifying and deep conditioning isn&#39;t going to help. These are the consequences of straightening. You can learn from this or keep "trying" until you get it "right." Do you want straight hair that bad?

naijamodel
12-12-2003, 04:59 PM
well, i am growing my hair out of a press right now so i know how this can be. jetblackinks, i feel you on your posts girl! I washed my hair so many times i thot my scalp would rub off and the press went no where! i know for a fact that i will not be pressing my hair again, simple and short, but now i am going to have to cut all the hair on my head - 4 inches, cos the parts that are not burnt are irreparably dried out. I am wearing braids right now and will be cutting my hair sometime in the new year... you might have to resign yourself to the fact that the naps are gone forever. Do not wash too much especially not with clarifiers as the straight hair will begin to break off!

Makeda
12-12-2003, 05:37 PM
hmm i do it just once a year, and i never have that problem. Shoot, my hair starts going back before i even wash it again :lol

charli
12-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Dax? Dax? OMG, you are not supposed to press hair with Dax. That&#39;s almost like candle wax, it&#39;s so thick!

I used to get pressed as a child and I went to an old school hairdresser, you know the ones that are old enough to be your grandma. The proper way to press is with nothing in the hair at all or with a creme press. And once it&#39;s pressed, then maybe add a light oil or oil sheen. I remember the last time I went to an old beautician when I was relaxed and she said something that made a lot of sense:

Whenever you put heat on your hair, you always want clean hair, no grease, no oils, no nothing, a light creme if you must, but putting heat over oils and grease just burns the hair, that&#39;s what the smell is and that&#39;s why you get the build up on the flat iron or the curling iron. And you only go over each section with one pass, use the second pass to bump it, but don&#39;t keep going over the same section (which is what a curling iron AND flat iron implies).

And it makes sense, after all, when we cook, we put oil or butter in the pan to make it cook faster, sear better or get that golden fry look.

Sounds like she was trying to fry your hair to get it "trained". Yes, you burn something it won&#39;t coil back up.

SassyDiva
12-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Heat is bad for your hair plan and simple

pookeylou
12-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Noko+Dec 12 2003, 12:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Noko @ Dec 12 2003, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-pookeylou@Dec 11 2003, 11:19 AM
Like cheap plastic on a hot stove!

[/b][/quote]
Dang!

Well...it will grow back...not the end of the world...be mad for a minute and then move on...

I guess it would be good to make sure it stays moisterized so that it does not become crispy, brittle and break off... at least until you get the length you want again...

That is all I need to hear...I am sure there is a way to do it without melting your hair...but I know how I am with conditioner...(I can go through one bottle in a week)...so if I am heavy handed with THAT...I know wouldnt do nothing but burn my hair to a crisp...

I&#39;ll say a hair prayer for you...it will be ok. :blab

nappy_sach
12-12-2003, 07:48 PM
I do press my hair[but not bone straight] and sometimes i even do it bofore i double strand twist it and would you believe;after a couple of days it&#39;s back to its normal stage.That hairdresser must have used something else.You &#39;bettah&#39; find out.

cherrysoda
12-12-2003, 08:50 PM
ok yall. i learned my lesson. i am going to try and moisturize and STAY AWAY from the hot comb. what a shame...i still think it will come back...i hope/pray. thanks naija model, charlie, sassydiva and poukeylou...and to answer Noko&#39;s question....no, i will have to work on removing the remaining kinks from my mind...

Aquarius
12-12-2003, 08:51 PM
I don&#39;t use clarifying shampoos...maybe Nutrogena? :huh

cherrysoda
12-12-2003, 08:54 PM
thanks aquarius, i am thinking there has GOT to be another way: cause NOTE: only 2 parts are still straigh...a piece at the front and a piece at the back...the rest is all back; but softer...

NppyChck84
12-12-2003, 08:54 PM
a tremendous amount of heat can alter the texture of your hair in the way perming does. I did a whole thread on how heat, acids, and bases denature or breakdown the proteins in your hair, causing the texture to be altered. heat wont&#39; do it as readily as lye will, but it can just the same.

cherrysoda
12-12-2003, 08:57 PM
so possibly since it is not chemical...vinagre or lemon can restore? thanks nppychch84

Aquarius
12-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Give it a minute...remember to keep conditioning after the clarifying.

If they are not too big, I&#39;d just cut them down to the level of my nappy hair, and hide them in my fro or twists til it grows back.

If they are big sections...keep trying. :rainfro

cherrysoda
12-12-2003, 09:02 PM
yes, aquarius thanks, i am using a cholesterol conditioner...it is not that big, at the back it is actually getting back...at the front it is about 3 fingers wide...

Aquarius
12-12-2003, 09:05 PM
The I say hide it. Most of us don&#39;t have one uniform length all over anyway.

If that doesn&#39;t work, then do something more aggressive.

cherrysoda
12-12-2003, 09:28 PM
meaning the vinagre or lemon aquarius?

clover
12-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by cherrysoda@Dec 12 2003, 09:28 PM
meaning the vinagre or lemon aquarius?
I&#39;m sorry but are you asking if vinegar or lemon will make your straight ends go back to normal? There&#39;s no way around it, your hair is damaged beyond repair. No amount of manipulation, deep conditioner, clarifying will get your hair back to it&#39;s nappy state. Using vinegar or lemon to "nap" up your hair is a myth...please don&#39;t be fooled by this. In the future don&#39;t let anyone who doesn&#39;t know squat about natural hair come near you with a heated implement again. Save yourself the trouble and do it yourself, or better yet don&#39;t use any heat at all. Those damaged limp ends will have to be cut out. There&#39;s no way around it. Sorry to break this to ya.

cherrysoda
12-12-2003, 10:29 PM
ok clover... thanks

deecoily
12-12-2003, 11:30 PM
I hear this time and time again. I get emails all the time from women who have burned their hair using these archaic things.

Bottom line. If you have fine hair, you simply can&#39;t press it. Unless you want damaged hair. Some other hair types can be pressed without major damage but most within our hair type WILL be damaged.

I can&#39;t stress enough for you all to stay away from pressing combs!! Who needs bone straight hair anyway? If you want to stretch your hair out, there are ways to do this without excessive heat and damage. Just braiding your hair damp and allowing to dry, then using a brush will you get a beautiful FULL result instead of flat, burned hair.

~Dee~

Divinaty
12-12-2003, 11:35 PM
i was pretty much going to say what dee said. but i&#39;ll just say that this is at least the 5th time that i&#39;ve read a thread about someone who straightened their hair once, and it never went back to its coily self. hopefully we&#39;re learning from each other by reading about other people&#39;s mistakes. the first time i heard about this happening, i lost all desire to ever want to straighten my hair. if i really want it to look straight, curling rods do the trick. and personally i don&#39;t like the way it looks on me anyways. my coils are just fine the way they are.

mjac202093
12-13-2003, 12:29 AM
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago, and after reviewing the threads it is so true that ONLY someone who has professional experience with natural hair staighten the hair, if you have to do it at all. I don&#39;t think that I will press my hair again after all it is too much damage for a hairstyle that is so temporary.

marissasensei
12-13-2003, 12:38 AM
There should be a sticky-noted message at the top of the Hair Discussion board called, "Before you press. . . " or something like that, with a link to all these burnlaxer horror stories.

milah1
12-15-2003, 03:48 AM
I press my hair occasionally (maybe every 3 months) but I NEVER get a press with a regular hot comb heated on a stove in the oven heaters that hairdressers use. My hair is way too fragile. Nowadays, my mother or myself use an electric pressing comb. I have never used one that got hot enough to really fry my hair. My hair never comes out completely bone straight but I can get the temporary style I&#39;m looking for without the possible consequence of permanently damaged straightened hair. My hair always bounces back to its normal kink. If you ever try to press in the future, maybe you might consider that.

mocha
12-17-2003, 10:38 AM
I had my hair pressed six months ago. I still have bone-straight sections that refuse to return to their natural nappy state. I will never press my hair again.

macsrcool
12-17-2003, 02:32 PM
I have had the same experience. I got the "hard press" at the salon for about 2 and a half years. It was cool at first. It got my hair really straight for a press job. It left my hair limp and wavy while wet but a lot of hair would come out when I washed it. It damaged my hair permanently and caused my hair to thin out. It is not as harsh as a perm I don&#39;t think by it still damages the hair. My hair never returned to its natural texture. It took a years worth of trims to cut all the straight hair out of may hair once I had decided not to get any more press jobs.

~macsrcool

Keepitnatural
12-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I haven&#39;t had any real desires to press my hair, but I will say that after hearing all the bad experiences people have had, it just solidifies my reasons for not wanting to press and as the ladies have stated in previous post excessive heat to the hair equals damage. It&#39;s just not worth it.

cristalena
12-17-2003, 07:18 PM
i&#39;m not familiar with the term "hard press". what does that mean?

is this exclusive to black salons? i know that dominican salons will NOT press your hair straight away. first, they do the majority of the straightening via blow-out and press it the rest of the way.

they won&#39;t even do a straight press to hair that is curly...let alone nappy hair that is more delicate.

Shanna
12-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Keepitnatural@Dec 17 2003, 12:22 PM
I haven&#39;t had any real desires to press my hair, but I will say that after hearing all the bad experiences people have had, it just solidifies my reasons for not wanting to press and as the ladies have stated in previous post excessive heat to the hair equals damage. It&#39;s just not worth it.
Same here. I avoid heat at all costs!

ashrob123
02-20-2004, 07:52 PM
bumping for those who were thinking about pressing their hair.

SassyDiva
02-20-2004, 07:57 PM
I would never press my hair never.
Pressing Comb + Heat= Damanage

jazzysmyles
09-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I also have a story to tell. I haven&#39;t had a perm since April 03 and did the chop in Feb. 04. My hair had considerable length to it and I was loving the coils. I&#39;ve gotten my hair burnt 3 or 4 times this year, the last on in April and my hair texture is not the same. :angry: My stylist told me that it would go back after a couple of washes but I have patches of straight hair all over the place and can&#39;t wear a fro at all neither do two strand twists look right. So ladies, if you love your naturally curly, coiled hair, follow the advise of this board and DO NOT PRESS! I really wish that I had not burnt. I am tempted to cut out the straight but I would literally have to cut all my hair for it to even look right. I will probably continue to wear transitioning styles fo a year to see how much of my hair will revert and then cut what is necessary.

Moderator W
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jazzysmyles@Sep 17 2005, 09:18 AM
I also have a story to tell. I haven&#39;t had a perm since April 03 and did the chop in Feb. 04. My hair had considerable length to it and I was loving the coils. I&#39;ve gotten my hair burnt 3 or 4 times this year, the last on in April and my hair texture is not the same. :angry: My stylist told me that it would go back after a couple of washes but I have patches of straight hair all over the place and can&#39;t wear a fro at all neither do two strand twists look right. So ladies, if you love your naturally curly, coiled hair, follow the advise of this board and DO NOT PRESS! I really wish that I had not burnt. I am tempted to cut out the straight but I would literally have to cut all my hair for it to even look right. I will probably continue to wear transitioning styles fo a year to see how much of my hair will revert and then cut what is necessary.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Your hair will flourish with all the advice you find here on NP, and soon those straight parts will be a distant memory. Keep posting :afro: :)

Nappytop
09-17-2005, 07:43 PM
sorry this happened to you! It happened to me too after transitioning for a year. When I chopped I still had straight pieces. My stylist told me that it would revert back and it did. Although, I had a little that had to be chopped. Condition your hair and wear a style that will mimic your natural texture. Like a roller set, straw set, or twist. After about 3 months if your hair is still straight...well..u will have to BC . My hair is really healthy now. U can see it under Melanizms challenge. Those are pics of my hair freshly washed, all the way dry without product. I hope your hair returns.

emerald06
09-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I&#39;m honestly wondering if these random straight hairs on my head are my natural texture or if they are the result of the three (yes, only three) warm presses I did during my transition. I have not burnt since chopping.

Well, I won&#39;t experiment to find out. I no longer have the desire for straight hair.

Rhoyalti
09-17-2005, 10:22 PM
I just wanted to say that I&#39;m glad this thread came back. I wasn&#39;t a member of NP when the thread first came out and probably never would have found it had it not been brought back out. I read Dee&#39;s sticky on heat and straightening, and had already decided not to use heat anymore, but something about this thread really drove it home for me. So, thank you jazzysmyles.

Lucid_Warmth
09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Your hair resisted burning the hair straight? YAY! *cues 007 theme song*

to your napps- hang in there little curls, she&#39;s about to give in!

Urbanite
09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Rhoyalti@Sep 17 2005, 05:22 PM
I just wanted to say that I&#39;m glad this thread came back. I wasn&#39;t a member of NP when the thread first came out and probably never would have found it had it not been brought back out. I read Dee&#39;s sticky on heat and straightening, and had already decided not to use heat anymore, but something about this thread really drove it home for me. So, thank you jazzysmyles.

Good for you, sis. I&#39;m going to print this thread and give it to a friend of mine. She constantly blowdries and presses her hair straight but then complains when her hair won&#39;t revert. I&#39;ve told her over and over to stop putting the heat on her hair but she insists that heat is not the problem. Maybe this thread will open her eyes.

curvycurly78
09-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by netta1@Dec 11 2003, 04:45 PM
burning the hair straight just sounds like such a "chancing" experience, I mean why even go there, heck I&#39;m even afraid to blow-dry :huh . Sorry about your problem, I hope your naps find their way home :blab .

I feel you on that...

I&#39;ve just heard too many horror stories about heat ruining texture that I&#39;m not gonna chance it...

But to each her own I suppose :dunno:

mlduvall
09-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I too have been burned by the p.r.e.s.s.i.n.g comb. I used to get my hair p.r.e.s.s.e.d every 2 months when it wa s time for a trim, and was &#39;also&#39; told by my stylist that it would revert back. I think after about 1.5 years of following this routine I one day noticed I had patches on my hair that would not revert after I washed it. I guess my hair said, "Enough is enouigh!". Only thing I could do is wait until all my straight patches were cut out. I&#39;m almost at the point where all the straight ends from heat/highlight damage is gone.

I really think it depends on your hair type as far as how damaging heat can be. Some people can get their hair p.r.e.s.s.e.d once, and experience damage. While others, it takes mutiple processes before it happens. One thing for sure, it will eventually have a negative effect all hair types in one way or another. So no more p.r.e.s.s.i.n.g for me!

I think you have one of two options. Either chop those damaged ends off all of once, or trim it out little by little. Bottom line is the only way to correct it is by getting rid of the damaged ends. No product will correct it for you.

Keep your head up, and take this as a lesson learned the hard way.

Monica

MotherLand
09-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Sorry you had to experience that but why are yall always pre$$ing your hair hair after being warned and act like you are suprised? Sorry girl, but you might have to cut it out. :( Ihad the same experience when I was natural.

killagul
09-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey, I&#39;m 16 and I get my hair p.r.e.s.s.e.d. all the time and my hair is in great condition. It&#39;s pass my shoulders....but when it gets humid or water gets in it it goes right back to its natural state. I guess different people, different hair. My stylist knos how to keep the hair healthy i guess thats it. But i&#39;ve never had a problem with my hair, it doesnt come out or anything like that. I think p.r.e.s.s.i.n.g. isnt bad, it just depends on the person&#39;s head...like wat can ur hair take? Mine i guess can take alot.

bajantexan
09-23-2005, 03:15 AM
this is happened to me before...i got my hair burnt and the some parts stayed straight after i washed it....they stayed straight for a couple months actually...but they did eventually revert so if u can deal wid it for a while hold out...otherwise trim...hope this helps

Kspirals
09-23-2005, 04:20 PM
I used to get my hair burnt when I was a little girl and it was healthy, but I didn&#39;t know anything about wanting to wear a &#39;fro back then!

THIS IS MY HORROR STORY:

I was under pressure from my momma and family to get it burnt- so she burnt it January 2005 and it hasn&#39;t been the same since. I have the straight pieces in the front and at the ends of my hair. The fro isn&#39;t the same and the twists aren&#39;t the same (big at the root and shrizzled, tasseled at the ends) What&#39;s so bad that the press didn&#39;t even last a full day and my mom-- yeah she totally burnt my hair. She would press each section over six times sayin&#39; "well it won&#39;t get straight" but she couldn&#39;t put up with me fussin&#39; so much in the chair so it was cut down to maybe three times. Yeah it was pretty afterwards until I remembered that awful burnt hair and grease smell.

I really miss my thick twists, I have the real nappy tight stuff, nope no cute curls or wavy hair, just a bunch of loosely defined napps that go their own separate ways. And the &#39;fro- it&#39;s thick at the root and see-through around the top maybe about 2-21/2 inches worth, just may have to do a big chop again cuz the trims aren&#39;t doing much help. :(

Here&#39;s one of my problems and why I considered the press - my ends are always really nappy and tight and DRY. When I did have thick twists the ends would always be poofy( and my advice was to trim and trim until the ends became smooth). I&#39;m at the point where I believe my ends are SUPPOSED to be this way. If I blow dry my hair (more heat, damage) this makes the ends smooth, but over time they get thin.

Anyone else noticed this with their ends? If so what did you do? :dunno:

Kspirals