PDA

View Full Version : Gray Hair

Nappturalaw
12-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone is styling their Twists/Afro Puffs/Braids/Bantu Knots with specks of Gray or alot of Gray hair :app

Ezili
12-11-2003, 04:44 PM
I've got a gre (10) random grey hairs around my head... It's kind of annoying because the rest of my ahir is jet black (Well the natural roots anyway) I used to dye my hair when I was still a permie, so I've got black nappy roots, and wavy-straight brown ends. It looks so messed up, but it's in braids so you can't realy notice now. I'd like to dye my hair again, after my final chop, but I'm afraid the colour won't stick. My roots are so smooth and undamaged, and color sticks well when it can get IN TO the hair shaft. I don' want to waste 15 dollars! I'm a broke student!

Nappalonia
12-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Nappturalaw@Dec 11 2003, 11:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone is styling their Twists/Afro Puffs/Braids/Bantu Knots with specks of Gray or alot of Gray hair :app
Yep I used too, now I'm sportin my locs with specs of sparkling grey, and I don't plan on dying it :thumbsup :bis :lol

pookeylou
12-11-2003, 05:40 PM
I have about 10 grey hairs at each temple...

I am taking MSM....which (for some people) has made the grey hairs turn back to the natural color...I am dying to see if that happens.

I am on the fence about coloring it....I have not yet...but I might.

allnaturalgirl
12-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by pookeylou@Dec 11 2003, 01:40 PM
I am taking MSM....which (for some people) has made the grey hairs turn back to the natural color...I am dying to see if that happens.

Welp, I've been taking MSM for joint pain for over a year and my grey hair is still grey!

To ans the posters quest the only style I feel self-conscious about wearing w/my grey hair is the afro puff. For some reason I don't think it looks right on me because I have a big patch of grey right in the front. The hairs there never stay smoothed out. I have this fear of looking like a little girl with grey hair :huh. I think it looks cool on my twists to have streaks of silver sparking in my hair.

pookeylou
12-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by allnaturalgirl@Dec 11 2003, 02:51 PM

Welp, I've been taking MSM for joint pain for over a year and my grey hair is still grey!

Dang, dang DANG!!!

Oh well...that stuff has helped my knee tremendously...so I shall continue on!

Dolliesdaughter
12-11-2003, 06:29 PM
I have about 50 or so grey hair that is unruly. I still wear my twist with no problems. Those are the first hair's that stick out from my twist.

babygurl
12-11-2003, 06:41 PM
My mother (who's not natural) has a few grays... and her those are so hard to lay down....
I noticed Alken say hers stick out of her locs... when you hair turns gray does the "hair" actually change too....

Jazitones
12-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Yes I have gray hair that just sparkles in the front of my hair. I do notice that it is hard to maintain.

Dolliesdaughter
12-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by babygurl@Dec 11 2003, 07:41 PM
I noticed Alken say hers stick out of her locs... when you hair turns gray does the "hair" actually change too....
I think that some grey hair has a mind of its own. When my mom was my age her hair was very kinky\coily. Now that she is 80% grey her hair is poker straight, my mom is also natural. I have a picture of her in my album in the various pictures group.

Once my hair is more than 50% grey I will wear it short. I will wear it like Camille Cosby's

skegee94
12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
I have around ten or so grey hairs in various spots. Why are they so much more wiry and straight and thick than the others! Sometimes I pluck them. But, you know, it's true what they say: You kill one of them and six more will come to its funeral.

Imla
12-11-2003, 11:09 PM
I have plenty of gray hair all over. I'm currently growing out color (can't wait). Gray hair seems to be the first to work it's way out of any hairstyle, especially twists and braids.

animeg
12-11-2003, 11:37 PM
I have a bit of grey, but it's slightly less noticable than when my hair was straight. I've had it since I was born.

ini
12-12-2003, 12:02 AM
i got a couple five right at the top. they've been there for years. used to be at the end of my part when my hair was permed. just the other day my bf saw them sticking up out of a braid and so graciously pointed them out!

Changes
12-12-2003, 03:46 AM
I have a quite a few greys also. I wear whatever style my hair will go into. I am not concerned too much about it. the gray hairs are a different texture than the rest, and are the first to get split ends and knots. I think that I have a kind of young looking face so I like the grays.

Natural Kinks
12-12-2003, 04:05 AM
I have SO much grey hair it is ridiculous lol and most of it is RIGHT there in the front. It's inherited to get it at a very young age in my family (started for me in high school). I use a dark brown rinse. Haven't noticed a difference in the texture though because all of my hair strands are thick and wiry.

Cherished
12-12-2003, 04:26 AM
Oddly enough, the majority of my grey hair (and there is plenty of it) is around my hairline, on the top of my head and on the sides. There are very few in the back of my head.

I color it because I'm just not ready to wear it yet. All of the grey has a mind of its own.

PenCurls
12-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Dec 11 2003, 03:30 PM
Once my hair is more than 50% grey I will wear it short. I will wear it like Camille Cosby's
Me, too!

I don't have a whole lot of grays yet, but the ones I do have are straighter than the rest of my hair & seem to stick out more. I don't color my hair anymore, though & I actually like to see the little grays poking out. When I get more, I'm going to use that silver shampoo (whatever it's called) to keep my gray hair silver & shiny.

Peaches
12-12-2003, 12:22 PM
I have some stubborn gray hairs around my temples and more pooping up in other places. I color them with temp color and it works pretty well until they grow out. I have to color it every 6 weeks or so. The texture doesn't bother me. They are actually softer than the black ones.

I'm 39. I know that nobody's asked yet but I'll break the ice: how old are y'all? :duck

blumoonbabe
12-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Okay, Peaches, I'll bite. I'm 25, and I have gray hair sprinkled throughout my head... I've had it since I was a child. They are all unruly and totally do their own thing, which is usually sticking up and away from the rest of my hair. They also don't take color well, they might catch a slight tinge of color... but they look like sparkly threads interspersed in my head. My hair is pretty thick though, so I can camoflauge (sp) them most of the time... I think :-P

animeg
12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Dec 12 2003, 01:22 PM
I have some stubborn gray hairs around my temples and more pooping up in other places. I color them with temp color and it works pretty well until they grow out. I have to color it every 6 weeks or so. The texture doesn't bother me. They are actually softer than the black ones.

I'm 39. I know that nobody's asked yet but I'll break the ice: how old are y'all? :duck
I'm 19, but the grey was in my hair when I was born.

Cherished
12-13-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Dec 12 2003, 08:22 AM

Since you asked...

I'm 44. Used semi-permanent color on it today. Most of it took, not all of it. It's more difficult to get the edges to take the color.

I'll wait 6 weeks to 8 weeks and try using a permanent color. Even that doesn't always work.

Peaches
12-13-2003, 06:36 AM
I have a hard time getting the gray with temp color too. I usually let it stay in for 5 or 10 minutes longer, which makes it look like it's highlighted. I haven't used permanent color in a few years. Maybe I'll try that.

Cherished
12-13-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Dec 13 2003, 02:36 AM
I have a hard time getting the gray with temp color too. I usually let it stay in for 5 or 10 minutes longer, which makes it look like it's highlighted. I haven't used permanent color in a few years. Maybe I'll try that.
In October when I went to Locks N Chops to get comb coils, the stylist used a permanent color then. I think it's called NaturalTint or HerbalTint. I know it comes in a dark green and white box. I think it's a natural hair color. She used a neutral color (a dark brown that I selected when I made the appointment 2 weeks prior), and it gave me excellent coverage. My hair was colored on Oct. 10th, and it lasted until about 2 weeks ago (the grey became more apparent in the front and on top). There were no harsh effects on my hair.

I was looking for it today, but I couldn't find it. I'm going to check out Sally's tomorrow to see if they have it, that way when I'm ready to color again, I'll have it already.

blestnaps
12-13-2003, 06:29 PM
I have gray in the top and on the sides....I hate how my hair is graying..so I put color on it...

Bushyhair
12-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Dec 11 2003, 07:29 PM
I have about 50 or so grey hair that is unruly. I still wear my twist with no problems. Those are the first hair's that stick out from my twist.

I have quite a bit of gray hair that's unruly too. :-P
When I wear twists (which is all the time), the gray hair is the first to stick out too.

I used to try to fight the grays (box by trying to smooth them down,
but nothing seems to work. I have just learned to like my gray hair. :-)