PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

samantha
12-11-2003, 07:28 PM
I have been reading different boards from different natural hair sites where everyone is saying that they accept/prefer their hair in its natural state. But at the same time they running out to buy pressing combs and the such. I just want to know...

How many of us are really happy with our God given hair?
How many still feel that straight hair is better?

feepee
12-11-2003, 07:39 PM
I can speak only for myself on this one. I'm truely happy with the naps God gave me. I love 'em alot. I feel most comfortable this way. I'm not against pressing hair. actually i'm not against relaxing it, that's and individual choice. I chose not to for my own reasons. I don't see myself pressing my hair anytime soon, but I don't count it out of style options in the future. I'm not a straight hair hater. More importantly I'm a nappy hair lover. I hope this makes sense. :-?
my personal view is that my nappy hair don't make me hate straight hair and straight hair don't make me hate naps. even when i was a recent permie it wasn't that i didn't like my naps it was cuz it was a style option. Unfortunately a damaging one, hence the return to naps. I think it's great that we can press our hair as a styling option and it's just temporary. well, except for those on the boards who complained about their hair not returning to naps. Not sure what to tell them...
NE wayz. Love the naps, even if i am about to sew in a straight weave on a permie's head tomorrow. lol. She gone look good comming up out of my house and the money helps! :cen

*edited to add* to answer the question
How many still feel that straight hair is better? i do not think either is better. I think the better hair is the healthy hair. Someone with naptural hair can have it pressed without chemicals and still have that healthy hair. Folks with wavey textured hair can blow dry it straight and it still be healthy. White and asian folks can have healthy straight hair... Or they can try their own curly perms and look like Tonya Harding.. that ain't cute or healthy!
like my disclaimer said in the begining of this post. just speaking for myself. :thumbsup but i'm interested in seeing what other folk say :pop

SugaSmacks
12-11-2003, 07:46 PM
I LOVE my napps!!! I think some women pressing their hair is a style change, not because they want their hair straight again. Just like when I had a relaxer...some times I wanted my hair curly. I even went so far as to have a straw set done. But then when I washed my hair, it went back to straight again. Instead of always wearing the hair in a nappy form, the pressing adds versitility...sometimes you feel like wearing your hair curly, sometimes ya don't!! :rainfro

Pressing the hair is a whole lot different from relaxers being put in the hair. I plan to press my hair again when my hair gets longer for a style change, not because i'm fiening to have my relaxer back!! Everybody does their own thang....!! :cow:

Shanna
12-11-2003, 08:14 PM
I love my naps! Won't press or straighten it, and I hardly ever use gel! :o

I think I'm past the "straight is better" mentality, too. I'm truly happy with the hair that's on my head now and I won't trade it or ruin it for anything.

Aquarius
12-11-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure if there is a difference here, but...

I think nappy, chemical free hair (not dyed to death) is better than relaxed hair. Undoubtedly.

But I don't dislike naturally straight, or blown out hair.

Its the chemicals, not the style...for me.

HuGrad2002
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my hair! I have no desire to get my hair pressed. I do like blowing it out every once in a while to change it up a bit, I think thats the reason why some people get their hair pressed.....you dont want to wear a shake-n-go everyday do you?

netta1
12-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Well I have only been natural since October 03 and prior to that I wore a curl (as a child) then a perm (as an adult)-so it is taking me some time to LOVE my natural hair- it might have something to do with me still getting used to it. So I'am not there yet I LIKE my natural hair alot and I'am determined to learn how to LOVE it. I LIKE straight hair too, when I see it on me via wig sometimes it feels a little funny because thats not the texture I was born with, I'd rock it (from time to time) anyway because the style does not make me I make the style, plus its fun. Not because think that straight hair looks better. On the other hand I'am too afraid to press or even blow dry my natural hair because I don't wanna lose my texture.

So in essence sometimes my feelings waiver about my hair, but not to the point of putting myself though the cycle of chemicals It just not that serious.

QueenLena03
12-11-2003, 09:35 PM
I was a "plain jane" natural and once I cut my hair off I gave away every last hair appliance I owned. I never put any heat to my hair at all so the pressing issue never surfaced in my world until I got on NP.com and noticed how many women pressed their hair. My hair has been in locs for a few years now but I am still interested in knowing why people choose to press even though I awlays hear it's for a style change.

Diamonique
12-11-2003, 10:18 PM
For me, pressing is just not an option. I see no reason whatsoever to straighten my hair... not permanently nor temporarily. I have grown SO far beyond that. The only reason to straighten the hair would be to put it in a European style, and I don't see any reason to do that when our nappy styles are so beautiful to me.

I will never straighten my hair again. My hair is beautiful just as it is.. in all its nappy glory.

-- Diamonique