PDA

View Full Version : What is scab hair?

twin_a20
12-12-2003, 12:13 AM
What is scab hair? and what are signs of scab hair?

I have been napptural for over a year now and the only time my hair
has been really soft, so that i can run my fingers through it without any
problem, was when I went to the hair salon during August. I have been trimming my own hair since and deep conditioning. I figured my hair is pretty dry because it may be scab hair.

Any suggestions?

karmlkinks
12-12-2003, 04:03 AM
**keeping my eyes on this post because i want to know the answer also**

SavageGurl
12-12-2003, 06:39 AM
I didnt experience it, but what I understand is that for some women the chemical damage from relaxing days is so harsh that their scalp and follicles take a long time (months or years) to fully repair themselves.

While they are in repair mode, the hair that grows is weaker, stripped of natural oils and damaged before it even gets its start. Damaged kinky hair is even more dry and frizzy than usual.

JetCityGirl has some really illustrative pictures in her album from a few years ago of scab hair she eventually grew out.

Yours could be scab hair, but you did say a hairdresser was able to get your hair soft once...

It could be the products your using also; your shampoo may be too harsh or your conditioner not heavy enough or left on long enough for your hair.

It might be the water too. Do you have hard water where you live? If you can smell chemicals in the water that'll keep your hair dry as a twig almost no matter what you do. If thats the case, then a water filter from Home Depot may be all you need.

Also, do you put any products on your hair after you wash? Not oils, but real deep penetrating moisterizers like shea butter?

There really are a million and one "could bes". It would help to know your exact routine to see.

inthestars
12-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Scab hair looks different from healthy strands of hair. It is super dry and each strand is very hard upon examination; the strand may look deformed with odd little ridges in it or have a very straight end (no curves at all)