PDA

View Full Version : UK NAPPYS WHERE ARE YOU????

guapa1
01-22-2003, 02:36 PM
C'mon ladies, get your a$$e$ over herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeee!!!!!

guapa1
01-23-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm aaallll alone, there's no one here bessssssssssssssssside meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Donkey- Shrek

bijoks
01-23-2003, 02:44 PM
don't worry guapa1, you are not quite alone.....still getting used to the new place but so far grreat :lol:

bijoks
01-23-2003, 02:47 PM
by the way, I saw your album guapa1.....great hair!!! do you have a place where you do your twists? or do you do them yourself....my styling skills leave a lot to be desired right now :oops:

guapa1
01-23-2003, 03:24 PM
:D :D Yeah Bijoks someone to talk to!!! :D :D

I do my twists myself. After loads and loads of practise!!!
Don't worry, you'll get there. :D

Well let me introduce myself here again. I'm 23 years old, and have been natural for 2 nearly 2 years. I have 4b hair and I think it's around 5-6 inches.
I am currently doing the no poo method, and am trying to mix my own potions for my hair. So here is my routine

Weekly
no poo with soft and beautiful
honey and olive oil treatment
mayonnaise.

daily
Water, glycerine, rosewater, sweet almond oil and peppermint oil spray.
I do use sta stf fro oil mosturizer for my twists sometimes.

I really want to try the shea butter aloe vera pomade but I still don't know where to buy Shea butter from! Any suggestions?

jazzypom
01-23-2003, 07:15 PM
hi! thanks to guapa1 for inviting me over.

well, my lifestory;

i am 27, a student in transit. My hair profile is the footnote. Come March i will have been natural for two years! Wooooo!

i do try and wash my hair (no poo method) twice weekly. On the lookout for a cheaper conditioner though, b/c redken all soft is kinda pricey, yah feeling me? Weekly, i use a deep conditioning treatment with the Superdrug Henna deep conditioning treatment, which cost £1.79. It goes in easily, absorbs well, and washes out fairly well. The thing is though, it is red and it seems as if you have a bauxite ore mine in your bathroom when you are done!

i have finally found a cheap health store, and am getting into the flower steeped in vineagar teas. Am looking to try out nettle and chamomile. Will report. This weekend i will be doing a blackstrap molasses treatment. It is about i/4 blackstrap molasses with 2 tsp of lime juice, 1/4 cup of sugar and some oil (a twist to ms. Mahailee's Limlastic Mud Packs). It supposed to make your hair like buttah.

Also, i am waiting for my shipment of castor oil and cocoa butter package, sos that i can start making my pomade. I do hope to add some coconut oil, avocado oil and all the goodness. Will post that too.

I am in Nottingham BTW. Will try and get my husband to take some pics sos that i can post my hair progress online....

right. done now.

thanks again for the invite

we will links

jazz

Cassandra
01-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Hi Ladies
I'm Cassandra and I'm 42 years old, I'm a single mother with a teenaged daughter. My hair has been natural since February 2002. I have approximately 10 inches, measuring from hairline to hair end, just an average measurement, I'm sure some part more, some parts are less.

I try to following the no poo method, but I usually rinse daily with distilled water, glycerine, rosewater, Infusium 23 and Aloe vera, sometimes it I have time, I add Pantothenic Acid (B5) and MSM (powder) to my rinse.

I deep condition with henna wax treatment
I use a hot oil treatment mixture of extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, wild growth oil, carrot oil, and Amla oil.

On my roots, I try to massage daily a mixture of Amla oil, with 10-20 drops of Rosemary essential oil, and a little of castor oil and wild growth oil. I also am going to use my electric hair massager every morning. I have to set a routine, but sometimes fall, the heart is willing, but the spirit is weak :D

I shampoo weekly with L'oreal shampoo for damaged hair, because it is very rich, for the no poo method I use the conditioner or henna wax treatment. :wink: :) 8) :lol: :D

Cassandra
01-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi, Ladies
What part of England, do you come from.
I live in Hammersmith. What about you others :?:

Cocopuff
01-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Hey everyone just checking in :D

Well let me start of by saying Guapa1, you don't look like 23, you look more like 18 :)

I am 20, 21 in October. I live in NW London.

I started transitionig in May 2002 and cut of the relaxer in November. I was left with 3-4 inches of natural 4b hair. Transitions for the 2nd time

Regime: "wash" with conditioner. Either Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol or Lustrasilk Aloe Cholestrol. Both are quite good. They are heavy conditioners but I find the thinner ones don't do much to my hair.

After I grease with Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Creme and spritz my hair with water, glycerine, castor oil and KemiOyl.

If I twist, I twist after washing, while my hair is damp. I use Organics twist and Lock gel or Creme of Nature Styling lotion.

hair styles that I have been wearing is Afro with canerows, afro puff with head band, twists and twist out. So far the afro with cane rows are my favourate, eventhough I am supposed to protect my ends in this weather. Shame on me :oops:

Thats all I do with my hair

NappyJoy
01-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi ladies

Finally fellow Londoners/uks
Thanx for the invite guapa1

Ive got my other intro on the intro thread created by Deecoily so i,ll make this one short

Im 22 living in East London..been transitioning since october 02 and i think i have about 2ins of growth
what about u guys?

At the moment all im doing is putting my hair up in a bun with cornrowed/flat-twisted at the front
I tried the braids but i took them out after 3 weeks...i actually wanted them out after 2 weeks, my scalp was iching like mad..
but had to get my money's worth.
Im hoping to get my big chop when i have around 4 inches of natural growth...or in march ( my 23rd birthday)

I will try and get a gallery once ive done the chop

By the way what is the "poo" method..cus i only know of "poo" being used to dicribe something else..and trust me i dont want that type of poo on my head :lol:

Ive also heard of a product called "GLASS" that is mentioned in some of the hair albums
do u know if this product can be found in London?

Cocopuff
01-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi girl, "no poo" means no longer using shampoo. Instead use conditioner to wash your hair. So what alot of women do is rinse the hair regular with water with a light conditioner. When you usually wash your hair with shampoo replace it with conditioner. makes your hair more softer. Do a search the board for no poo.

I don't think you can ge glass in london. Its mainly sold in salons in the us.

NappyJoy
01-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Thanx coco

I guess i should have figured that the poo was short for shampoo :roll: :lol:

bijoks
01-24-2003, 10:59 PM
Hi Ladies,
I live/study in Birmingham. I stopped using the relaxer almost two years ago. I have mainly 4B hair which is quite fine textured and frizzy. I usually no poo with success but am currently forced to use regular shampoo :mad: because I have taken up swimming (lessons). Usually my hair is in twists (not great looking) but my skills will improve. (Thanks guapa1 for the encouragement :) )

Just wanted to add special props to the ladies living in the London area and environs, (especially Cassandra and guapa1) I was there over Christmas and New Year and the water was just too hard. I think it must be a real challenge when keeping hair healthy with that water (and from the albums I see you do a really great job)

guapa1
01-25-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone!!

Thanks Bijoks, it's funny, I didn't realise how hard the water in London was until my friend came down, and her face completely broke out because of the water :( .

Thanks Cocopuff. I think it'd definately the natural hair. When I was in the states last month, the waitress refused to serve me wine until I showed her my passport!!! :shock:

Good luck Nappyhead. How are your friends/family taking you going natural?

Cassandra, what does MSM do? I've never heard of it before. Love the flat twists, do you have colour in your hair?

Has anyone done the honey olive oil treatment? I did it yesterday and my hair went :rainbowafro: . I tried it before as a post wash, but it left my hair quite greasy soI think it definately has to be before.

After I finished washing, my hair felt SOOOO soft. I didn't need to add anything else before I styled my hair. The only problem is I can't keep my hands out!!!

I live in Croydon, and am trying to find Shea butter. Any suggestions. Thank you Jazzypom for answering in. I think we might just have to get it from the internet!! There are a couple of links on the old site.

Sorry for the long post. Chat too much as usual :roll:

Take care ladies

Cassandra
01-25-2003, 03:25 PM
@ Guapa1, MSM is supposed to thicken up your hair, when you dissolve it in water, also you take it internally and it is supposed to help when you do exercise and good for your skin, hair and nails. It is sulphur rich. Thank you for your comments about my flat twists. I do colour my hair, at the moment, I have allowed my hair colour to grow out and I put a semi-permanent colour on my hair, it took mostly on the ends and parts of my hair where it is grey. I'm thinking of growing out my colour completely then maybe next Autumn/Winter, I will colour it, either Electric Berry by Karizma or Hot Red by Tones and Textures. I just hope that I don't get bored in the meantime and colour all over again. 8)

jazzypom
01-25-2003, 08:07 PM
On some boards, it is reported that MSM makes your hair look less wiry, due to the fact that black hair tends to be lowest in sulphr content, and the levels of sulphur are responsible for shine and straightness (ah so?! i could be wrong). Have changed my brand of MSM, b/c it was doing butkiss for my exercise recovery time. Have not seen any hair change in this brand, but my nails have thickened.

Will keep you posted

Autumn
01-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Hello UK Massive :P

i think it is about time i reintroduce myself,
i decided to give myself a new name to go with ithe new site (prevouisly Alexandra)

My new name is Autumn,
why? because it is my favourite time of year.

Anyway i have been natural Autumn 2000, can't remember the exact month or date, because it was not really something i planned.

i don't know what type of hair i have i think i have all the 4 types, in my head :lol:

My products right now are my own hair butter, and i have hair gycerin braid spray, that i use ocasionally,
i have just started to use again
creme of nature shampoo, this stoped working for me when i was transitioning

for conditioners
Optimum Vitaplex for deep conditioning (purlpe & lilac tub)
& Dark & lovely (pink bottle)

i used these condioners when i was relaxed a good 3/4 years ago, and they worked well, i decided to use them again because the prices have gone back down to normal!!!

for hot oil treatment i use caster oil

i don't wash my hair very often in the winter, as i stated on my last intro , on the other site, which i think, put a few people "NOSES" :shock: out of joint, but hey it works for me, i don't put a lot of products in my hair, because of the natural oils i have i feel does, the trick and if i wash it too often, i have corn flakes (dandruff!!) scalp & brillo pad hair, and like i said it does not smell!, but i guess the majority do not believe, :D

but i guess you brits will have to see for youself when we have our UKget together,
yeeaaahh thats right
You know its gonna happen don't ya,
in the year 2003 sometime we are all gonna have to all hook up,
hey guapa1 what do you think? you seem to be the ring leader here :lol:
what do you think?

anyways i feel i have said enough, i'll let the rest of you brits get a look in,
what happen to them??
there were a few more on the last site,
either they have been scared off, or they are still in lurkers mode.

best wishes

A

Autumn
01-27-2003, 01:06 AM
hello its me again!!!!!!!!!!!

JAZZYPOM
I have seen the Henna super drug conditioner, i saw it a while back, and i saw alchol in the ingredients, but may be its the good alchol, can you post the ingredients, because i might give it a try, i wanna have about 3/4 different deep conditioners that i can alternate so that my hair doesn 't get use to one product,
the one i wanna try nest is the dark & lovely one in the tub, that smells like chocolate, i saw it in the store & smell it, and wanted to eat it!!!, but then i did not have enough money to buy, but i will buy it this week sometime.

GUAPA1
i live south east of the water, and i buy my sheabutter, made by kemi in Lewisham, or Catford, if you need more details let me know,
and apparently there is a woman setting up a stall in brixton market, that sells her own natural shea products, that was a rumour, i was told this about 5/6 months ago, i bought one of her products from a health store in Brixton, and when i could not get hold of it again that is what i was told, i have not been back there for a while so i don't know, and i can't remember the name of the business.
hope this helped

oh almost forgot, love you pics Guapa1
i normally cain/cornrow the front of my hair and have the back in a ponytail,
i have been doing it for years on my daughters hair, but not mine!
how did you manage to cainrown the back?, you must have a lot of patience, or you must have some proper monkey arms :lol: ,double joints!!! :?: :!:

A

Cocopuff
01-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Guapa1 you can buy shea butter from African stores. It's only £1. If you buy it from the net its gonna cost more than a pound.

Its the pure one that you melt to make your own butters. If you want me to get you some pm me coz the shop where I get mine is only 10 mins away from my house :)

Cassandra, I have been using the MSM, but I noticed I was getting cramps in my stomach by following the instructions of two a day. I stopped taking them orally. What I do now is crush up some tablets and put some castor oil in it and apply to my hair line where its a bit thin. I 've only just started so I'll tell you how it goes.

Peace

jazzypom
01-27-2003, 09:58 AM
dera autum,
i feel you about not washing your hair too often in winter. If i was not swimming so often, i think that i would follow your lead.

well, the ingredients for the superdrug henna wax Intensive Conditioner are -Aqua, steryl alcohol, glycol stearate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, dicetyldimonium chloride, lawsonia inermis (henna extract), sorbitan palminate, benzophenone - 3, parfum,polysorbate 60, triethanolamine, methylparaben,propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, CI147005,CI14700,CI42051.

whew! cocopuff, i am pming you too.

guapa1
01-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi everyone!!!

Oh Cocopuff, I'm not happy now. I have just bought some Kemi Oyl 100% shea butter for £5.99!!! I still haven't found any ALoe Vera Gel yet, any suggestions before I waste more money again???

Hi Autumn!!!!
Just reading your posts had me in hysterics!!! You are too funny!!!
Thanks for the compliments of my monkey arms!! :lol: Tell us whats in your hair butter?? I've got shea butter coconut oil, and some essential oils floating around will that be enough do you think?

Cassandra all those colours sound lovely, can't wait to see them on you.

Jazzypom, how often do you swim? What shampoo do you use to wash out the chlorine? I intend on taking some swimming lessons soon.

jazzypom
01-27-2003, 12:39 PM
guapa1,
a good aloe vera gel is J/A/S/O/N/S - it is sold in sainsbury's from about £2.99 for 250ml, and £5.99 for 500ml. I use it for my twists, and am about to use it with flaxseed gel and hibiscus juice for a leave in hair gel. More on that, anon.

I use the ordinary swimmers shampoo that you buy at Tescos. It costs £2.99 per bottle. They have the swimmers conditioner too, but i dont see the relevance of the latter product. Or, look for any swimmers shampoo that has sodium thiosulphate before the dreaded SLS, and you criss. The sodium thiosulphate turns the chlorine into ordinary chloride, just so you know.

Oh! i also swim about 2 times a week! It is primarily for my hubby's benefit. He has a wonky shoulder, and it helps.

I do an hour each time, breast stroke all the way. I need to work on my fledgling bongo wings, my J.Lo bum, and my thighs. I also do walkies on the weekend with my hubby. We try to do at least 5 miles each time.
yours

jazz

Autumn
01-27-2003, 02:20 PM
GUAPA 1
My hair butter at present consists of
BUTTERS: Shea, coco
OIL: xtra virgin olive oil, Caster
ESSENTIAL OILS: Nutmeg, sweet orange, Lavender, & rosemary
Glycerine & Honey
Shea is the main ingredient, 4oz, the whole of kemi tub

I also have a liquid one that the main ingredient is xtra virgin olive oil.(no honey & Glycerine)

Anyway I don't much like this batch I added, the Honey and Glycerin to give it a new twist, ! Made this a while back, before I discover Honey was not my friend, it leaves my hair soft, shiny, but also frizzy & thicker, I have plenty of thickness, and I don't need no more. :mad:

I am trying to use it up by diluting it with other products, but I don't have any more products left and no more money, well not till end of the week.

But my best batch was when I used shea & cocoa butter caster oil & nutmeg & lavender essential oil, I used that all over hair and body, but it did not last very long, it smelt good enough to eat,.. Well I mean I did!!!

Guapa1 your hair butter sound good, I think less is better, but each to own, mix yours and tell us how it turns out.

I pay £4.99 for my Kemi shea butter, but I guess it still works out expensive,
Cocoa puff, do you know the amount of shea you get for the £1, it probably works out cheaper.

Guapa1 I have seen aloe gel in chemist, but if u can get it in sainsbury it will propbaly be cheaper.

Jazzy pom, where did you buy the flaxseed (was it Holland & Barrett) and what is hibiscus? I heard you can make the gel with just the flaxseed? let us know how it works out.
How long have you been using the henna conditioner? Do you use it after you swim?

Whew!!!! Gota go

:wink: A

Cocopuff
01-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Guapa1, you got the kemi pomade for £5.99!! :crazyeyes: I think I paid £4.99 for mine. I like the smell but I have not used it much :roll: Regarding the Aloe Vera gel, you can get it in health food shops or at places like brixton in the market. It would most probably be cheaper if you buy a leaf and cut it.

Autmn I'm not sure about the amounts. i think It may be an ounce or 2 for £1. I check When I go home

Here is Iggles recipe for a shea butter mix

http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/inde...&num=1037106796 (http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?board=homemade&action=display&num=1037106796)

and another one
http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/inde...&num=1041997489 (http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?board=homemade&action=display&num=1041997489)

jazzypom
01-27-2003, 08:17 PM
dear autumn,

yeah, i buy the flaxseed gel at holland and barrett. It is known as linseed seeds. They are not too expensive, around £1 for about 500 grams.

The hibiscus, from what i gather, is good for hair and skin rejuvination and balance. It seems to be a big thing in avedverdic (sp!) treatments. The gel recipe i have, i will share with you all on the recipe board, when i get time to post - possibly by tomorrow morning the latest.

I use the henna conditioner on a sunday, or any day that i am not going anywhere. It is smooth, creamy, light and nice smelling. It also makes my hair feel soft. I mix it with oil for a pretreatment, or sometimes, i use it alone. The indications of this product is that it is a post shampoo treat. Be careful though, it stains your towels something terrible, so wash out of your hair quickly.

HTH!

jazz

Cassandra
01-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Cocopuff, sorry to hear that you were having problems with MSM, I take the powdered form in water. :cry: . Maybe you can take a lot of sulphur rich foods instead, which may help you.

guapa1
01-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Good point Autumn when are we gonna get together?? I would love to meet you all and swap hair ideas.

Cocopuff
01-28-2003, 01:30 PM
ah a get together. Have any of you got any ideas on what to do?

I have a few, we could meet up and have a fun day out example, resturant, ice-skating, clubbing, natural hair discussion, just a few ideas thrown in the air :?:

jazzypom
01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
that would be cool. i could take the train down to london (since, i am assuming most of you live around that general area) and meet up for a day. I am sure that there are cheap hostels or inns that i could stay at!

Autumn
01-28-2003, 08:09 PM
UK get together
yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :D

the ball is now rolling, there only seem to be a handfull of us, but thats cool, we gotta start somewhere,

now we have to decide where, London seems a good option,( well i would say that it is the nearest city to me!!)

but what do you all think, i think you are right jazzy pom, the majority are london based.

somewhere we can have a good ole chat and get to know each other & our hairs!!
cocopuff, suggested a restaurant, good idea.

A

jazzypom
01-29-2003, 09:29 AM
hmmmm... a restuarant. niiiice. i would look forward to actually sparring with people who actually know the place.

I only know london as a tourist, since i have only been there twice; i am coming down again in March to escort my stepdaughter around to some modelling agencies. So far, i only know zones 1 and 2 (according to the tube station map) in the capital!

But we could met in spring or summer? To travel any time before that is vile!

guapa1
01-29-2003, 10:06 AM
But we could met in spring or summer? To travel any time before that is vile!

That's fine with me, I don't come out of my house at the moment unless I'm going to work!! I hate the winter soooo much :evil:

Let's get our thinking caps on and start thinking of some places.

Cocopuff
01-29-2003, 10:10 AM
yep, if anyone has any ideas where to go... I think the resturant would be a great idea. We could chat ang get to know each other. I agree that there are only a few of us but that does not really matter :)

Jazzypom I cant wait 2 see your stepdaughter strutting her stuff 8)

Autumn
01-29-2003, 01:11 PM
great
i do not come out of my house in winter either!!! if i don't need to.
so when the daffidils (sp) start coming out, we can talk about setting a proper date :P

in the mean time we can get to know each other some more, and maybe a few more uk nappies will join us, and can do some research on a good place to eat.

CASSANDRA, BIJORKS, NAPPYJOY,
WE NEED YOU GUY TOO, LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

all the best
A

Cocopuff
01-29-2003, 01:32 PM
palces that I can think of at the top of my head is; China Town in London, great place (so i have heard) planet holloywood, Lovely chinese resturant in Harrow, can't remember the name.

What are people's favourate foods? If you put a list down then we can choose from there.

here's mine

Pizza
Chinese
soul food
Italian

don't like indian food

I agree to have a gathering more in the spring or summer. I hate comming out in the winter too cold :x

jazzypom
01-29-2003, 02:28 PM
[quote
here's mine

Pizza
Chinese
soul food
Italian

i am greedy. I like all food as long as it tastes too good!

jazz

bijoks
01-29-2003, 05:21 PM
great

CASSANDRA, BIJORKS, NAPPYJOY,
WE NEED YOU GUY TOO, LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

A
Please count me in.
And yes most definitely in Spring/Summer. But for my lectures, I would gladly curl up under my duvet till the weather warms up. :(

guapa1
01-29-2003, 05:59 PM
I looooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee food. Thats why I'm the size I am :oops: Here is my list

Spanish (I love my tapas!!!)
Chinese
Italian
Thai
Soul food (of course)
Mexican
Indian(Only certain places though!!)

Any of these places would be fine with me.

Autumn
01-29-2003, 10:47 PM
my list

mexican
thai
chinese
indian,
pizza......

you know what, my list could go on forever, because i am a craven cow and will eat just about any thing!!!!

i can't wait, i feel like a big kid going on a school trip :D the company will be great so what ever food we choose will be great too,

arhh lady , this might be a silly question but are you refering to soul food as american soul food, or caribeen food ( either way it don't really matter because i love both)
all this food talk has got me salivating, i've just come ing from training and i could murder a chinese right now, but i am bone dry skint, so i will have to wait til the weekend :cry:

all the best

A

Cassandra
01-30-2003, 02:25 AM
Yes, Ladies, definitely, I'm in :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cocopuff
01-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Autumn, Soul food to me is carribbean food :P

Hypnotizze
01-30-2003, 09:04 PM
ok, I heard food and decided it was time to come out to play lol.

For real though - I'm a bit late but nevermind that.

I leave in South East London and my last relaxer was in October 2001 (wow - didn't realise it was THAT long lol).

I don't actually have much of a routine and do very little to my hair - but that's down to laziness.
Like someone else said I too don't wash my hair much in the winter but my routine consists of shampooing usually with that Soft & Beautiful conditioning shampoo which my hair seems to love and then I condition with some other cheap stuff (can't remember the exact name) by Ultra sheen and then I deep condition with AFrica's Best Tea-Tree oil cholestorol conditioner.

On my scalp in between washes I use "root oil" from Back to Eden hairdressers just off Walworth road and I use the same deep conditioner (tea tree oil) on the ends of my hair when I have it out as it is a leave in also.

And that's my lot really.

I'm trying to be more creative (but not very hard I might add) :)

If you all do decide on a get together I'd be more than happy to join you all....................... :)

Hyps

Autumn
01-30-2003, 10:42 PM
heeeeyy welcome hynotizze :D

glad you could join us,
yeah i am the non winter washer, i am glad i now have company :P

i heard about the salon back to eden a few years back when it first opened, somebody told me, they made up products especially for the tpye of hair you have, is that true?
do you go there to get your hair done, what are the prices like.

i keep telling myself i want to get a professional trim, but the longer i leave it the more i can't be asked, i think it was a case of hair salon withdrawal, and i am use to taking care of natural hair, because of my daughter, also, i have got to a point that i don't want anybody elses hand in my hair unless they are family.

Well if you know of any other uk naps, that are hiding out in lurk mode, put them in this direction

all the best

A

guapa1
01-31-2003, 10:23 PM
i could murder a chinese right now, but i am bone dry skint, so i will have to wait til the weekend :cry:

all the best

A

:lol: I feel the same way, the only difference is I just got paid!! :cry:

Hi Hypnotizze
Glad you've come out of lurk mode. Do you go to Garden of Eden regularly?? I've phoned them to enquire prices and they seemed a bit rude, so I never bothered.

I know what you mean Autumn about letting anyone else touch your hair. I have a tender scalp and know how much pressure I can take. Only one other person puts their hand in my hair after my disasterous twist extensions!!! But thats another story!!

Even though I say all this, it would be nice to let someone else wash my hair for a change.

Autumn
01-31-2003, 11:31 PM
yeah i know what you mean Guapa1 about someone else washing my hair, i would love to go through the whole pampering bit at the hair salon, but, very few, hairdressers could handle my hair when it was relaxed (the thinkness & the lenght) i ain't even gonna put myself through trying to let them try to touch it when it is natural :(
but this year some time, i will propbaly go get a proper trim, i told myself after 2 years, but it has now gone, so maybe around three years, oh who knows i am just waffling.

i knew someone who had the same experince with back to eden.

Guapa1 you could try 'From the Root' salon, in lewisham, i went to them for years when i had a relaxer, but they speacialize in natural and relaxers, the price i was quoted for a press & trim was £25 i was gonna wash/condition etc at home, which i guess is reasonable, is it?, well the lady who use to do my hair, arlene is good, and i know it would have been worth the price.

all the best
A

Hypnotizze
02-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Thank you for the welcome ladies,

Well Back to Eden.... I would recommend to..let me see.........NO ONE. If you think they were rude on the phone you ain't SEE nothing lol. I would never let those people in my hair. When you go there it's like it's painful for the receptionist girl to deal with you.

A friend of mine had her starter locs done there and bascially they didn't give her any advice i.e. completely cut out the relaxer before you start (she didn't know) so as her hair grew she had some straight ends. After her hair had grown a bit she asked them and they said she should have done it before. Why not say that when you were starting the process. Also, she's had the women arguing about her was going to do her hair because it was short they didn't want to do it.

I had problems even getting basic advice when I was transitioning from those people but my hair just loves the root oil so I can manage to go and buy it every few months!

From the Root I would recommend. I've known Arlene and Bev for years (neighbours) and they are very good.

But my FAV has to be Purely Natural in Leyonstone. And I live in South East but I'm prepared to travel for good hair care (always have been) plus they are open on Sundays). But I really like it there they are SO helpful, friendly and GOOD. I've only been a few times (mostly when I want pampering i.e. don't want to wash my hair myself) but I am SO happy with them. I would mos def recommend them - if you can travel.......

Autumn
02-01-2003, 02:15 AM
DANNNG :?

i didn't realise back 2 eden was so bad!!! i know when they first opened they had really good reviews, it was the first salon in SE to do natural hair, thats a shame, because i know they did some good stuff to a couple of girls i knew hair, but that was a few years ago, so i have lost contact with these people.

DOUBLE DANNNG :lol:
you know arlene & bev, it is a small world!!!!, i guess what they say about six degrees of seperation is true.

leyton who????
that is another country ain't it, i'm sure i have to buy an airline ticket to get to those parts :shock:
it is way too could to be venturing across the water.
anyways if i do go back to a hair salon, it will be 'From the Root' i went there for about 5 maybe 6 years, gees it might be even longer!!! she knows me & my hair, what style liked

hello Cassandra, & welcome too
i know you have been with nappturality for a while, i see your name popping up in some of the threads, i thought i'd say hello, don't wanna come across rude.

all the best

A

jazzypom
02-02-2003, 03:53 PM
do any of you ladies use lush products for your hair? have you ever been tempted to do so? i love lush's philosophy but their stuff never workds for me?

thanks for answering

jazz

Hypnotizze
02-02-2003, 04:18 PM
@ Autumn

I agree about Back 2 Eden - it's a big shame but they are really rude and unwelcoming that I wouldn't trust them with my hair...... shame that.

And yeah, I think I'll give From the root a try but I REALLY do like Purely Natural. But I drive so the distance doesn't bother me especially since they are open on Sundays and doesn't take long then and parking is easy. There's another one of the same road as Purely Natural (couple of doors down I believe) called Bold & Beautiful (or something like that lol) but that's all irrelevant if you don't want to travel so far lol.

@Jazzypom

Lush? You mean like the people that make soaps and bath products? Or have I just gone completely off the mark. I guess you can tell I've never tired their products lol.

jazzypom
02-03-2003, 09:36 AM
dear hypnotezze,

yeah, them. they do conditioners called coolaulin (which is a coconut infused conditioner) and this one made out of okra (very slimy). I tried the former, it was not good. I just wondered if any uk napps had the chance to try it out, that's all.

thanks for the answer though.

Cocopuff
02-03-2003, 01:28 PM
I have never tried any of those products but they sound really good.

I didn't even know that there were natural hair salons in London untill recently :oops:

So have any of you come to any suggestions about our gathering?

Welcome Hynotize, could you be Hypnotic from the old board *scratches chin* hmmmm

Autumn
02-03-2003, 06:47 PM
sorry i did not respond, because i have not heard of them :(

A

Hypnotizze
02-03-2003, 08:30 PM
@ Cocopuff

There are a few natural hair salons....not a great deal but a couple. But I've learnt to do really good twists (if I do say so myself lol) so I don't really need to go unless I just need pampering :D

As far as being Hypnotic......nope, not me. I was on Nappturality for a looong while but never posted..just read stuff.

There's a "Lush" in Liverpool Street Train Station..their bath products are nice though :)

temfash
02-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Hi ladies sorry to jump in but I live in London southeast to be exact its nice to know there are other Londoners on this site. :lol:
So out of curiosity when is this gathering likely to take place count me in I would really love to meet all you lovely ladies. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cassandra
02-03-2003, 10:56 PM
@ Autumn
Hi Autumn
Nice to meet you.

Hypnotizze, Another girl I know complained about Back 2 Eden. It is such a shame. I would dearly love to go to a natural hair salon.

Hypnotizze
02-04-2003, 12:23 PM
@ Cassandra

I know of 4:

Back to Eden (Walworth Road)
From the Root (Lewisham/Ladywell)
Purely Natural (Leytonstone)
Bold N Beautiful *I think* (Leytonstone)

There must be others but those are all I know and I know people that have been to each of them :)

oh except :mad: : Back to Eden lol

*adding* What is happening about this get together then? Is it still going ahead and had a date or anything been decided??

Cocopuff
02-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi Hipnotize, sorry for the mistaken identity :oops:

I don't think a date has been made yet, but I think most people want to do it in the spring or summer when its a lil warmer.

When were you thinking, remember spring is not far away :)

bijoks
02-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi ladies,
Oh wow.....natural hair salons :D . Just what I need since I am hair styling-challenged.(word?)

Looking forward to our date.

Hypnotizze
02-04-2003, 06:43 PM
@ Cocopuff

I'm cool with waiting til it gets warmer - got tons on at the moment anyway but I'm definitely up for it.

@ Bijoks

I'm not a styling expert myself...actually I only have two stlyes that I think I'm good at and one is two strand twists, which my hair is in at present and I just keep redoing them, and a pony puff after the twist (which I LOVE).

But I found the best way for me to learn to perfect my twists was by going to the salon. I watched how she done my hair and was able to do it really well myself :)

A trip to a salon is well worth it even if just for a bit of pampering!! 8)

Cocopuff
02-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Is any one celibrating Valentines day? I am gonna party true say I haven't got a Valentine :cry: , but that doesn't matter :) If you are celibrating what are you up to?

guapa1
02-06-2003, 05:27 PM
I met my soul mate yesterday and he didn't even look twice at me. I given up now. :cry:

I'm working over that weekend anyway.

jazzypom
02-06-2003, 06:43 PM
watching 'daredevil, the man without fear' with my family - or alone. I'm not arsed either way.
:wink:

Autumn
02-06-2003, 06:46 PM
!

Autumn
02-06-2003, 06:49 PM
I met my soul mate yesterday and he didn't even look twice at me. I given up now. :cry:

been there girl:lol:

A

Autumn
02-06-2003, 06:53 PM

i know what u mean :lol:

all the best

A

Autumn
02-06-2003, 07:08 PM
sorry guys, i think my P.C is spazcing (wd) out on me, (well thats my excuse anyway):wink:

Valentine :?: VALENTINE :shock: VALEN f***ING TINE :x

WHO CARES

WHO WHATS TO KNOW, WHO BROUGHT UP THIS BLOODYING SUBJECT ANYWAY,

I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

I just hade to get that of my chest, now i think i will go and lie down 8)

all the best
:lol:
A

Safiyyah
02-06-2003, 08:53 PM
I am happy to c everyone. And want to hear more about this one pound 100% shea butter.. i just got 1kg for 11 euros.. which is about £9.. quite pleased because it is unrefined pure shea butter 100%

my current schedule.
I wash my hair almost everyday.
I am normally using the no poo method, but if it is too oily i use creme of nature (the red one)
liking the glycerine leave in conditioner and the 911, and infusium 23 as well.

making my own stuff with everything else except:
IC fantasia hair gel with sparklelite(for curls)
Organanics natural shine
Hollywood beauty olive oil cream (i will be quiting this one soon, i dont like how my hair feels after it's been on it for three hours)

things i know to do:
Rinse hair after my work outs to remove salt.

never not spray with glycerin.. it is a must.

always wash me hair. if my skin is dirty and needs a bath. my sculp does too. (different strokes for different folks)

things I know not to do:
Dont bother with mayonnaise at all.. egg protein is actually no good for the hair (if u dont believe me.. ask deecoily) it is just a gimmick. the egg doesnt prenetrate the hair. the softness is only temporary.

NO sodium laureth sulphate,sodium lauryl sulphate, aluminium laureth sulphate, aluminium lauryl sulphate

NO mineral oil. at all... if i c it i dont buy the product a dont care how many good recommendations they have for it. e.g Lekair's cholestrol plus.
no petrolatum, no mycrocrystalline ... no anything which is petrolium based.

Never comb hair when dry.. always under running water!! with big toothed comb. I also choose not to brush except to smooth up the style.

Keep away from the green and the blue creme of nature.. they contain some of the above bad stuff.

thats it. No more hair products i am boycotting the hair shops. I am becoming a junkie for my 100% oils. its gotta stop. Last purchase was the shea butter. I promise :lol:

As for this link up.. am not sure about it. Maybe if its pizza hut i will come. I am a practising muslim. Therefore my food needs to be halal.

Cocopuff
02-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Welcome safiyyah! I group seems to be growing :D

What a wealth of knowledge you have about products :D How long have you been natural for?

I think I may also be sticking with natural hair products. No matter what I use my hair seems to be dry. Today I misted my hair with suave coconut tropical conditioner and water, then my glycerin mix of water, kemi oyl and olive oil. my hair is still a bit soft, not as soft as it was this morning, but I blame the weather.

Autumn It was me who brought up the valentine subject. Sorry I couldn't help but laugh at your post :lol: . I used to hate it also but now it does'nt bother me.

Safiyyah
1: spanish
2: chinese
3: indian
4: mexican
5: pizza

I know there was some other but I can't remember them. type one option, (ok two max) choices of food and we shall add them up to see which one is the winner. I can't thinkof another way to descide. If any of you have any idea plz let us know

Cassandra
02-07-2003, 05:09 PM
@ Hypnotizze
Thanks for the information about the four salons.

I will be celebrating Valentine's Day, it's time, I got myself a lover, husband and children's father in the one person. After I get over my flu, I shall start looking. :D :) :lol: :P

Autumn
02-07-2003, 08:08 PM
hey welcome Safiyyah,
i understand what you mean about natural products, thats what i tend to stick to now, i like to make my own stuff, works out a hell of a lot cheaper & at least i know what i put in my hair!,

i just made a new batch with, shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, coconut oil, with some drops of essential oils, lavender, rosemary, sweet orange & nutmeg, and i added aloe vera gel to the mix, i think this is my best one yet :D
i use this on body & hair, it works like a charm, i used it as a hot oil (without the aloe vera) treatment the other day, it made my hair so soft, the next time i wash my hair, i wanna try it mixed in with my conditioner, i read it on another thread,
i use ic fantansia too, excellent stuff, thats my summer gel.

did u get hold of the shea butter?

cocoa puff
i know what you mean about dry hair, i can't use my glycerin in this weather, it makes my hair hard, have you tried african royale daily docter excellent product, i used it when i was transioning, than i could not find it in shops so i forgot about it, but seeing it mentioned on this site got me looking for it again, i found it.

where do you get your sauve(sp) conditioner in this country?
& what about your carol's daughter products, i posted a thread about this, but no response so far

cassandra

its time i got myself a lover, husband, & childrens father in one person

i hear u gurl, when u find him, find out if he has a brother :wink:
all the best

A

Cassandra
02-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Certainly Autumn, a girl needs all the help she can get. :D

bijoks
02-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi Saffiyah,
Welcome!
I am seriously considering making my own hair stuff too. All this talk about unrefined shea butter is getting my hair salivating (if this is possible).
It seems what I have now is inadequate for handling the winter dryness or maybe I am putting too much stuff in, I dunno.

By the way, many thanks to Cassandra for recommending the Redken's swim shampoo thing... my hair doesn't seem stripped from that.

@ HypnotizzeI think I might be visiting a salon soon to get twists in because mine are just not cutting it...maybe it's the nature of my hair (I will keep a sharp eye on what the stylist does). I will be PMing soon for directions. Thanks

As for Valentine's day : well I will be spending part of it with a man I have loved all my life...namely my dad :lol: :( who'll be visiting from abroad.
Apart from that : I have absolutely no plans :( :cry: . Oh well I guess I'll just ***** about what how commercial the day has become. :D

Cassandra
02-09-2003, 07:11 PM
You're welcome Bijoks :D :) 8) :P

Autumn
02-09-2003, 09:48 PM
safiyyah

there was a typing error on my last post, the question should read

Where did u get your shea butter?

i have no problem with Pizza Hut if that what you can eat i am sure the other ladies wouldn't mind either, but could explain why? i apologise for my lack of knowlegde, but i know very little about muslims and nothing about halal. why pizza hut & not chinese, thai, indian, etc
there are so few of us here (uk sisters)i'd like to meet you all & i am sure we could be able to accomadate, besides i for one would miss u if you were not there, i have read some of you post, guuuurrrurl, u r on point, :)

Tranquility is were i live. join me,
Peace of mind..... is where i like to live and am there most of the time. join me.
Issues....they live next door and they only visit, is if they outsmart me and that makes me wiser.....

:BIG: that so made my day, infact, my day, evening, night, week, maybe even my year, i could not have put that better my self :wink:

thank u for that Safiyyah :P

all the best

A

NaturalyHair
02-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Hello Ladies!!

At last some UK natural sista's!

Let me introduce my self, I'm 21 years young, from east london.
Been natural for 1year and 1month after 8 months transtioning and trust me it felt like a very looonnng 8 months towards da end, I couldn't wait to get those nasty relaxed ends off!!

At the mo my hair is in two strand twists, well to tell the truth I mainly wear my hair this way as it's easy to maintain and holds for about 3 weeks!
On the odd occassion I will be a little more adventurous and have some canerows @ the front with twists in the back or up. ( if that makes sense!)

Current Products include:
At one with nature, shampoo & contd ( But aint used for quite a while now)
Wheatgerm, mango.....?: not sure what else but it's from Boots as part of the medditaraen range ( forgive my spelling!, It's been a long day!)
Kemi oyl: Which is excellent, a little goes a long way!
Organics, shea butter and tea tree cream moisturiser: Which is a absolute must! I love this product, it is very moisturising and makes my hair sooo soft.

That's all 4 now. Will post some pics soon.

Stayed Blessed everyone.

NAPPYCHIC
02-10-2003, 10:17 PM
HI UK LADIES :lol:

I'm from South East London, and I've been natural for a year now and I'm lovin it, lovin it, lovin it.

Where do you guys buy your hair products from?

Cocopuff
02-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Hi Nappychic, welcome again!

Autumn got the suave conditioner from the internet
As for the Carols daughter products I also got them from the internet also.[/color]

Autumn
02-11-2003, 06:54 PM
welcome Naturalyhair :)

Welcome Nappychic or should i say welcome back, ( i thought that name was familiar) :)
i buy my hair products from either Lewisham, Catford or Brixton.

cocoa puff
what was your expereince with carol's daughter products? the cost & delivery time?

all the best

A

Cassandra
02-12-2003, 08:46 AM
I get my products for Charlies in Goldhawk Road, glycerine, castor oil, IC Styling gel, Afro sheen. Wild Growth oil, I got off the internet, also from Afro World, or Afro Land, in Dalston, 7 Kingsland Road, when you come out from Dalston station. Aloe Vera gel, from Holland and Barratt and my shampoos and conditioners, L'Oreal and the bottled water from Tesco.

Cocopuff
02-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Autumn the service was quite good, I emailed them about something and they got back to me really quick.

The order came through pretty quick also. I think the Hair butter is quite good, its good for twist and moisture. A little bit goes a long way. The only thing I don't like about it is the smell. I bought the hair honey but it doesn't do much. its just there for shine. it smells nice tho. I wouldn't buy it again because the hair butter gives both moisture and shine so its not needed. I do wanna try some of her other products tho

guapa1
02-12-2003, 01:17 PM
My, my how we've grown!!!! Hi Safiyyah, nappychic and Naturalyhair, nice to see you here.

Safiyyah
Very interesting what you say about mayonnaise, I've never had a problem with it. I will try and cut it out for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Cocopuff
02-13-2003, 05:13 PM
hi ladies, I just wanted to know, what does your name mean n why did you chose it?

just me being nosy :lol:

guapa1
02-14-2003, 06:27 AM
[quote]hi ladies, I just wanted to know, what does your name mean n why did you chose it?

just me being nosy :lol:

COCOPUFF I LOVE THAT AVATAR!!!!

My name is quite big headed really, guapa means beautiful in spanish, it's a tattoo I have on my back. I chose it because to quote Christina

I am beautiful no matter what they say words can't bring meeeeeeeeee down[/i]

Cocopuff
02-14-2003, 11:16 AM
thanks girl I nicked it from someone else :twisted: :lol:

about the name, i didn't know it was spanish! Are you spanish or do you speak it? It sounds nice any way.

Having that mentallity is great for the mind and self confidence :D

jazzypom
02-14-2003, 12:26 PM
just some sites that would interest you uk nappies about shea butter - fairly reasonable prices (so we can stop bothering cocoa puff :wink: )

www.alexander-essentials.com
https://secure.bay-house.co.uk

Hypnotizze
02-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey Jazzy, thank you for that BUT I went to Brixton today and I found SHEA BUTTER and I am soooooooooooo happy. It cost me 50p for about 2 or 3 ounces I think it is. I got it from an African shop (just like cocoa said to - I must thank her!).

All I need now is aloe vera.....any suggestions anyone?? (other than stealing a leaf off my grandma's plant - which I'm gonna do tomorrow lol)

I just saw that they sell aloe vera on the bay house website... I'm about to order some Thanx again Jazzy

p.s. Thank you cocoapuff!! :D

NaturalyHair
02-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Hypotizze: Where is the shop in Brixton did you get the shea butter from?
Also, you can get Aloe vera gel from Holland and Barratt £5 for a big tube.

As for da name, my mum thought of the name for me.

My saying is,
It's taken long time but i'm so glad i'm Naturaly Hair.. as in Here!! :lol:

Hypnotizze
02-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Hypotizze: Where is the shop in Brixton did you get the shea butter from?
Also, you can get Aloe vera gel from Holland and Barratt £5 for a big tube.

Naturaly, I got it in the old indoor market (the big one - can't remember the name). If you are entering from electric avenue just keep walking down (you'll come to the fish place on your left and veg on the right) you straight across and her shop is on the left hand side (I think). Anyway, it's mos def an african shop and the lady was really nice.

They sell it in little plastic bags.....

Thanks for the Aloe tip..I'll look in H&B tomorrow. The aloe is the last ingredient I need for the aloe/shea butter recipe in the link that cocoa posted earlier in the thread :)

Cassandra
02-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Cassandra was a psychic, I think she was the sister of Paris, the man who stole Helen of Troy from her husband, well she wanted to go, because her husband was boring. She lived with Paris for 10 years.
Also I am interested spirituality, magick and writing. So I though the name was fitting.

jazzypom
02-15-2003, 01:27 PM
jazzypom - well, 'jazz' is the abbreviated version of my name (which is hebrew and pronounciable) and since 'jazz' is such a common name on the boards i added 'pom' which is the name (albeit deroggatory) that australians give to the english.

bijoks
02-20-2003, 08:17 PM
BUMPING
Hi,
My boardname is a variation of the my Father's nickname for me (which is a variation of my first name). I don't really use that name in the UK because the english pronounciation is different and kind of embarassing/annoying :oops: :x

bijoks
02-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Hello again,
Ladies I need your help. Does anyone know of a good place to braid hair in London? I mean somewhere natural hair is appreciated and the braider will not pull on my hair tightly or have her lunch on my hair or yank out my baby hair :roll: . As you can see I pay a lot of attention to those braiders-from-hell stories.
But seriously ladies, please help me out. I need to keep my hands out of my hair for a while :)
Thanks

Cassandra
02-24-2003, 03:11 PM
There is a website, www.madaboutblackhair.com. Which has a list of braiders and salons, where they do natural hair. :D

bijoks
02-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks Cassandra :)
I will check it out.

guapa1
02-24-2003, 07:38 PM
I can PM you the number of my braider, she only does sinlge plaits, and she's very reasonable.

ukblak
02-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Hailing from North-West London.

Natural for about 8 years, hair in locs for 2 1/2 years.

A woman gave me a flier for this natural hair show that should be taking place this year called 'Adornment' . There was one last year, which I didn't go to. Did any of you guys?

http://www.adornment.org.uk/pages/about.html

Hypnotizze
02-25-2003, 07:20 PM

Nope didn't go last year but I heard it was very good.

It's a must this year though...

Autumn
02-26-2003, 12:43 AM

yupe me too 8)

A

Cocopuff
02-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Hey Bijorks I have two braiders one who does singles and twists for £30-40, small ones for £40 and twists for £30 and her sister who does wool extentions for £50. They don't pull the hair and they are really nice people.

hey ukblak *waving from North west London also. I heard about that hair show but have never been before.

Maybe it could be a good idea for our gathering. Anyone interested?

NaturalyHair
02-26-2003, 01:14 PM
UkBlak:
I didn't go last year, but If you go to tueyz page on fotki.com she toke some pics of it.

Coco Puff: You can count me in for this year :P It would be a good place to have the gathering.

jazzypom
02-26-2003, 05:08 PM
if it is in april (like last year) i can bring my **** down from nottingham to meet and greet. If it's any earlier though...

Autumn
02-26-2003, 06:40 PM
hey UK nappies excellent idea

The date is Sunday 20th April at Kensington town hall, 10.30am to 9.00pm,
the tickets have to be brought in advance, but the details are not available until the 2nd week in March.

naturaly hair
i saw the pics on tueyz web page last year, not too long after the event, & was gutted :x
i swore i would go this year.
all the best

A

jazzypom
02-27-2003, 09:33 AM
what are the cost of the tickets? and do they have a website? Also, how would we actually id each other? By wearing huge assed afros ? What time would we meet. If i remember correctly, the second bus gets into london by 10am. So i would have to then take the underground to wherever.

right,

gwan plan, and keep me in the loop.

Cocopuff
02-27-2003, 11:34 AM

here is the web site

I was looking on the website to see when the next one would be but they only had the date from last year. I think it would be a great idea tho. I don't know how we could identify each other. Maybe arrange a meeting place or something.

ukblak
02-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Fantastic.

As Autum mentioned above, this year's event will be on 20th April and tickets will be available at the beginning of March.

It would be really great to meet up with you guys. Maybe we can all meet up at a coffeshop/café nearby at a time to be arranged and take it from there.

Can't wait :P

bijoks
02-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Hey Bijorks I have two braiders one who does singles and twists for £30-40, small ones for £40 and twists for £30 and her sister who does wool extentions for £50. They don't pull the hair and they are really nice people.

Cocopuff, Thanks so much. I will be PMing you for details.

Guapa1, Thank you very much. I will also be PMing you for details.

So many options..but just one choice :D .

Autumn
02-27-2003, 06:21 PM
how would we actually id each other? By wearing huge assed afros ?

Yeah great idea :wink:

guapa1
02-28-2003, 10:36 AM
I hope they have a better system this year. You couldn't ring up and pay, you had to send in your cheque and they'll send you back your tickets, or leave them on the door.

I sent my cheque in and waited and waited, until the day before I rang up and they told me it was sold out, and they'll be sending me my cheque back :mad:

I'll try and come, but 20th April is Easter Sunday, and I'm not sure I'll get the time off work, as the mums have probably booked those days already!!!

Hi Uk blak, welcome.

guapa1
02-28-2003, 12:27 PM
I sent them an email and this was the reply

Adornment 2003 takes place on Sunday 20th April at
Kensington Town Hall from 10.30am - 9.00pm.

All details will be released within two weeks. Please
let us have you full postal address so that we can
mail details/booking form to you.

Tickets will be available in advance only.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Margot Rodway-Brown

Which means they are doing it the same way. I will buy a ticket, and hope I get the time off work!!!

Cocopuff
02-28-2003, 02:10 PM
thanks for the info. I emailed them also but I didn't recieve anything from them.

Autumn
02-28-2003, 06:17 PM
I hope they have a better system this year. You couldn't ring up and pay, you had to send in your cheque and they'll send you back your tickets, or leave them on the door.

I sent my cheque in and waited and waited, until the day before I rang up and they told me it was sold out, and they'll be sending me my cheque back :mad:

well that don't sound too good, it kinder makes me a bit hesistant, but i get the impression it will be the same this year :?

maybe we shouldn't make this out first meeting, because the likelyhood is, some will get tickets and some won't, it will be a bit like a lottery, and since i ain't never won nothing on the lottery, i probably won't be getting a ticket

ah hell thats a bit of a bumma ain't it :cry:

naijamodel
02-28-2003, 09:40 PM
hey, i do not really live in the UK, but i am here for a semester, till june... i am in cheltenham and lawd knows i do not know where anything here is (as in location of places), but i hope someone knows where a beauty supply store here is so i can get some fantasia ic gel! i have a really teeny tiny afro, i have only had natural hair for a month.

guapa1
03-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Welcome naijamodel. I'm sorry, I don't really know Cheltenham, maybe one of the other ladies will be able to help.

@ Autumn, maybe you're right, shall we stick to the original idea of going out for something to eat?

What do you think ladies?

Autumn
03-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Hello Naijamodel & welcome, :D
sorry i do not know cheltenham either.
The best idea i can think of, is asking another black student where they get there haircare products.

all the best

A

Cassandra
03-02-2003, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking of going myself. Anyone who went last year, what do you think.

ukblak
03-03-2003, 01:06 PM
@ Autumn, maybe you're right, shall we stick to the original idea of going out for something to eat?

What do you think ladies?

All those intending to go to Adornement, let's see what we can do to get the tickets.

Sounds like it's going to be a military operation :roll:

But definately, regardless of the Adornement thing, definately let's try and meet up anyway.

There's a really nice venue called 'Squared Circle' in Clerkenwell. Food is good, there's alcohol :wink: , but ofcourse there is non-alcohol drinks if you prefer. They usually play decent music, but not too loud you can't hear anybody speak!

But I'll go with the majority.

:)

guapa1
03-03-2003, 04:24 PM
I hope to be going. I've sent them an email with my address for an order form.
When I get it, maybe I can book tickets for all who want to go.

That place sounds nice in Clerkenwell, though, but if I remember, one of the ladies could only eat halal food, and could only go to pizza hut or something.

Autumn
03-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Guapa excuse my ignorance my dear, but what part of the world is Clerkenwell? :roll:

ukblak
03-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Clerkenwell is just past Kings X. Nearest tube is Farringdon.

londongrrrl
03-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey! I'd like to go to Adornment.
@ those who mentionned Purely natural. I went on their website, but they only mention styling. I was thinking of getting a blow out and trim there. Possible, you think?

NaturalyHair
03-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Welcome londongrrrl, :)
I'm sure that u can get a blow dry and trim @ Purely natural, but just to be sure give them a call.

As for the link up @ Adornment, if it doesn't work out i'm up for the restaurant idea.

ukblak
03-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Hey! I'd like to go to Adornment.
@ those who mentionned Purely natural. I went on their website, but they only mention styling. I was thinking of getting a blow out and trim there. Possible, you think?

I go to PN sometimes to get my locks retwisted and I've seen women having their hair blow-dried and styled there. It's Back to Eden that doesn't cut hair. Give PN a call.

:)

Autumn
03-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Guapa excuse my ignorance my dear, but what part of the world is Clerkenwell? :roll:

sorry Guapa, that was directed at ukblak, :oops:

hopefully it is not too expensive, officially broke right now :cry: probabably from buying all those damn hair products since being a regular here :wink:

anyways, i am easy, about meeting up, so long as there is food involved, :D i don't have a problem where we go.

all the best

A

londongrrrl
03-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks NaturalyHair and ukblak! :D I'll give them a ring.

ukblak
03-06-2003, 01:13 PM
@Autumn. City Circle is pretty reasonable price wise. Prices range from about £3-9 depending on what you want.

http://www.toptable.co.uk/Details.cfm?rcode=B922

Cocopuff
03-07-2003, 04:18 PM
wow, i just look at the website for the squared circle reaturant. It looks really nice. I think that if we go there we need to book in advance. the only thing is that the maximum per table is 6 people. I'm sure there are more than 6 of us :?:

I just had a thought. my freind told me about a really good resturant in camden. Its a carribbean resturant and she says that the food is really nice there. I'm not sure of the name but i'll speak to her today to ask her.

guapa1
03-07-2003, 05:36 PM
As long as there is FOOD, I don't mind.(like I should be saying this when I'm on weightwatchers!!!)

Cocopuff
03-14-2003, 12:24 PM
so has anyone thought of a date besides the adornment show?

come on :)

NaturalyHair
03-14-2003, 03:19 PM
I was thinkin da same thing.

When is everybody free :?:

NaturalyHair
03-14-2003, 03:21 PM
I was thinkin da same thing.

When is everybody free :?:

guapa1
03-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Well my roster for April comes out on Saturday, so I'll be able to let you know then.

Have received the leaflets from Adornment.
The entrance fee is £9, and the workshops are £4.50. I'll try and scan it on, because I don't see myself writing it all out!!

How has everyone been anyway? Enjoying the weather? It's nearly Spring time!!! I have to say, I've been abandoning this site a bit because I'm at Sistahs at weightwatchers. I want to be in one of those micro skirts for the summer with a BAA!!!!! :lol:

guapa1
03-18-2003, 11:10 AM
OK ladies, what I'm going to do, is up load it onto my web page. Take a look there and tell me what you think

Cocopuff
03-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Guapa1 I couldn't see what was on the leaflet b/c the print is too small. How do you get tickets again?

guapa1
03-19-2003, 08:32 AM
You have to get one of theleaflets and send the form in for the tickets, but you don't send the money for the workshops, they'll get back to you on that 1.
If you click full size when you look at it, it does come up readable, albeit sideways!!!!!

Cocopuff
03-19-2003, 10:50 AM
it doesn't have the full size option on your page. you can only see it full size cuz its your page.

is anyone going to the adornment show?

guapa1
03-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Oh sorry :oops: I'm going to wait until Saturday and see if I'm off, I doubt I will be because all the mothers would've requseted Easter Sunday off. But if I am, I'll definately be going.

NaturalyHair
03-19-2003, 02:21 PM
I want to go, just have to get round to booking the tickets.

guapa1
03-31-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm working so I can't go :mad: . I'm not too mad though, cause I'll be in Milan!!! 8)
How is everybody?

Cocopuff
03-31-2003, 10:43 AM
fine at the mo. jus been alil quiet round here

NaturalyHair
03-31-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm ok. jus lots of uni work! :x

Hypnotizze
04-03-2003, 06:27 AM
Doesn't give much info about this years show but you can look back at last years to get an idea.............

http://www.adornment.org.uk

Cassandra
04-03-2003, 06:47 AM
I'm going to Manchester over the Easter Holidays. When where you Ladies planning to meet. :?:

Cocopuff
04-03-2003, 12:12 PM
hopefully going to the adornment show

naturalsystah
04-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Hello, I'm from NW London and my last relaxer was in 97 :) I usually wear my hairin twists or canerow, but I occasionally bus' the afro.

Been to this site some time ago but never to the forum for some strange reason... been lurking but learning a lot already on how to take better care of my hair.

I plan to reach Adornment too, never been there before. Nice to see UK sistas representin'!

See ya around the boards :)

naturalsystah
04-07-2003, 09:38 PM
by the way, does anyone know of a salon in NW or W London that caters for natural hair without the stylist running for a hot comb, a small tooth comb or 990000 watt hairdryer? Been to Purely Natural, love it, they took care of my hair and there's a friendly vibe. But it's far!

Cocopuff
04-08-2003, 01:14 PM
welcome to the board naturalsystah :D Glad to see another NW londoner here too

I don't go to natural hair salons but I would like to. where is Purely Natural? I would like to get my hair dyed but I want a perfessional to do it.

Has anyone bought their tickets yet for the adornment show?

NaturalyHair
04-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Welcome Naturalsystah! :D , sorry don't know of any salons that cater for natural hair in NW or W. i'm from east london.

Cocopuff: I haven't got my ticket as yet! but it says on the flier that money & orfer forms have to be sent by da 14th April.

naturalsystah
04-08-2003, 07:35 PM
welcome to the board naturalsystah :D Glad to see another NW londoner here too

Thanks for the welcome!

Purely Natural is in Leytonstone, East London. they have a website, www.purely-natural.co.uk

Still haven't bought my tickets for Adornment yet. Plan to in the next couple of days...

naturalsystah
04-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Welcome Naturalsystah! :D , sorry don't know of any salons that cater for natural hair in NW or W. i'm from east london.

Cocopuff: I haven't got my ticket as yet! but it says on the flier that money & orfer forms have to be sent by da 14th April.

Thanks for the welcome! I didn't notice the deadline, I'd better get a move on!

NAPPYCHIC
04-08-2003, 10:36 PM
If you guys are talking about get togethers - can I come too?

I'm Nappychic, a genuine S.E. Londoner. 8)
I've been natural for a year and lovin it, lovin it lovin it. I've got out of the habit of posting on this site, but will fix up and continue with regular posts.

Anyone going to the Natural Hair Event at Kensington Town Hall this month? :) They sold out of most of the workshops, unfortunately. :(

Nappychic

guapa1
04-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Hi natural systah welcome, it's good to have you here. Right the weathers getting better and we have no excuse. What everyone up to in May?? Are there any school holidays or anything?

Cocopuff
04-09-2003, 04:03 PM
they've sold out for the work shops already :? OMG. I need to buy mines and quick :?

Cocopuff
04-14-2003, 12:28 PM
If you guys are talking about get togethers - can I come too?

I'm Nappychic, a genuine S.E. Londoner. 8)
I've been natural for a year and lovin it, lovin it lovin it. I've got out of the habit of posting on this site, but will fix up and continue with regular posts.

Anyone going to the Natural Hair Event at Kensington Town Hall this month? :) They sold out of most of the workshops, unfortunately. :(

Nappychic

Course you can come. I have bought my ticket :P Can't wait to go.

The deadline for sending in the booking form is for the 14th but I phoned them on saturday 12th and you can also buy your ticket at Morris Roots in Tooting.

Cocopuff
04-15-2003, 02:10 PM
by the way, does anyone know of a salon in NW or W London that caters for natural hair without the stylist running for a hot comb, a small tooth comb or 990000 watt hairdryer? Been to Purely Natural, love it, they took care of my hair and there's a friendly vibe. But it's far!

Natural systah, how was the service when you went to the salon? What did you have done and how much did it cost?

wigi25t
04-19-2003, 01:54 PM
@cocoapuff
I've been to Purely Natural twice and I really like the service there
There's a website http://www.purely-natural.co.uk- there's a price list on it

guapa1
04-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Hi Ladies, happy Easter and all that hope you all had a good one. How did the Natural Hair go??

Autumn
04-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Hey Ladies,
i haven't checked this thread for a while, whats up, hope everyone is doing ok, and enjoying the easter.8)

i didn't go to adornment either, who went? let us know how it was?

Yeeeeaaaah sun is shining now, 8)

Guapa's right lets plan a get together, come on ladies, ideas? suggestions?, lets plan something for the end of may, beginning of June
we got a good 6 weeks to get our act together, save up thoses penny's and make a date :D

All the best
A

Hypnotizze
04-22-2003, 10:18 AM
I agree with guapa and autumn - we need to do this thing!! lol

Do you think we should start a new thread specifically about the get together (as this thread has got all sorts in it! lol).

Cocopuff
04-22-2003, 10:43 AM
I WENT TO ADORNMENT</span>

:BIG:

It was great. you all mist a great day. :silly:

I took loads of pics so i will down load them soon

If any of you have been to the afro(RELAXED) hair and beauty show, Adornment kicked they ***!! It was so informative and welcoming. I went by my self and I felt welcomed.

The host Dee was fantastic. She was so funny. She did a headwrapping class and the styles were just gorgeous. :D

This conference was to celebrate our natural hair and bringing the black communty together. Whoever said natural hair is not versatile is chatting a whole lotta bull. There were so many beautiful styles I was actually amazed :D. Any permed sistah would have changed there mind about perming there hair just by looking at the beauty that was exuding from everyone.

I REALLY enjoyed my self and I really can\'t wait for next year. I really wish it was at least twice a year.

<span style=\'color:darkred\'>about the get together Dee the hostess for the conference does headwrapping sessions almost like Ann Summers Without the lingere(sp?) :lol: She said that she will come if there are 5 people or more to create different wraps. I think may be a good idea if we can find a place that we can all get to and invite her.

Sorry about the bad spelling but I was so glad to go to such an uplifting conference. Its just a shame that we all couldn't meet up. :?

oh yeah just one more thing :? at the conference I signed up for braiding classes to do kinky twist. I went on Monday to learn. It was great. I know know how to do them. I did some in my hear and they looked good. Still need a bit more practise tho. I also bought one of those mannequin heads to practise on Can't wait. :D

ukblak
04-22-2003, 12:59 PM
@Cocopuff

Soooooooo jealous!!!!!

I should have got my **** in gear and booked my place on the workshops.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Did the woman doing the headwrap class give any info about any other workshops she may be doing?

Did anyone go to the loc hairstyling workshops?

Cocopuff
04-22-2003, 01:38 PM
ukblak i think she only does headwraps and body wraps. they were so beautiful.

The founder of Sister locks was there as a guest speaker. looking at the sisters rocking their locks made me think about locking. I didn't want locks before but now i am really considering it :scatter:

NaturalyHair
04-22-2003, 03:32 PM
I went to Adornment too...

It was a really good experience!! Unlike Coco I didn't go to any workshops :( I wish I booked my ticket earlier!! Anyway It was great to see soo many beautiful natural sisters under one roof! I met the founder of Sisterlocks and toke a couple of pics :D
Really want to learn the technique but it's only taught in the U.S or Jamaica so I better get saving..

I think the headwrapping would be great!! I'll look forward to our meeting when it finally happens! :wink:

bijoks
04-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Foiled!!!!
I can't believe I didn't remember to check up on the Adornment show. I really need classes in styling natural hair. Ladies are we still meeting up? I have been distracted a lot lately..Anyway I am green with envy at those able to go to the adornment event. Hope we can still schedule something for spring/summer.

naturalsystah
04-22-2003, 07:38 PM
I was at Adornment too.. Like Coco said. "Afro" Hair and Beauty show? Pah!

To me it was wonderful and different to see so many of my people looking radiant in natural hair. Locks, twists, canerows, afros... all respresented well!

I found the headwrapping workshop informative (I had NO clue!) but unfortunately couldn't get into any others.

Nice fashion show at the end and I loved the drum band Untold! I spent too much money on books, hair products and gifts but I'm looking forward to next year. :lol:

Cocopuff
04-23-2003, 10:28 AM
I was at Adornment too.. Like Coco said. "Afro" Hair and Beauty show? Pah!

To me it was wonderful and different to see so many of my people looking radiant in natural hair. Locks, twists, canerows, afros... all respresented well!

I found the headwrapping workshop informative (I had NO clue!) but unfortunately couldn't get into any others.

Nice fashion show at the end and I loved the drum band Untold! I spent too much money on books, hair products and gifts but I'm looking forward to next year. :lol:

The fashion show was great. I want to get a top from an African designer. I think her name was Tamio or something like that. Those tops were lovley.

where you sitting at the front or up stairs? At the front you could really see the details on the clothes. I really enjoyed myself. I only bought the Shea butter pomade and kemit leve in. The shea butter is wicked,ooooh no more dry ends :BIG:

naturalsystah
04-23-2003, 08:57 PM
I was downstairs, but at the back. I tell ya I was feeling some of those outfits!

I bought Kemi Sav'age no-soap shampoo, conditioner and oil - £6.99 for the lot! I've yet to try em out. Other stuff was mainly gifts and I hoked myself up with one of the T shirts :)

BTW I don't think I answered your previous post to me about Purely Natural - sorry, I forgot! I had my hair canerowed at the front, twisted at the back and the ends dyed brown. They used no heat on my hair, the first salon I've been to that hasn't automatically reached for a megawatt hairdryer or hot comb :shock: Nice, chilled stmosphere, a friend of mine got her locks started there and she has no complaints either. I just wish they were closer to NW!

guapa1
04-24-2003, 07:48 AM
WOW, sounds amazing!!!!
Glad you all enjoyed yourselves.

So when are we going to meet up, what would be a good day for everyone?

Cocopuff
04-24-2003, 10:22 AM
lets get this get together rolling yeah :D
When is the best time everyone is available. I can make it any time. I think the weekends maybe a good choice to start with.

Shall we set it for may or june? whenever it is i just hope its warm.

Just gonna throw some dates out there 8)

Sat 17 May
Sun 18 May

Sat 24
Sun 25

see Where I am going with this :P

June

Sat 7, Sun 8

Sat 14 Sun15 etc

If these date are not suitable can we atleast decide something?

Any more ideas what we could do?

ukblak
04-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Sounds like Adornment was fantastic. Pissed off at the fact that there were ticktets on the door when it was advertised that there wouldn't be.

Hypnotizze
04-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Cocopuff,

I'm fine with all dates except weekend of 7th & 8th of June.................

nappstarr
04-26-2003, 06:56 AM
My natural peeps!

i can't believe that i spent so much time reading the other sections of this site that i missed my UK peeps planning get togethers and stuff.

and now u guys are talking about eating i can't be left out.

i got so much to say i don't know where to start...

Well, better start wid my hair:
Been natural all my life. yep, i know, your mouth may be wide open by now but i was always planning to texturise my hair but never got round to it 'cos i was concerned that i wouldn't have enough cash to maintain my hair properly. When i was studying, i heard so many stories about relaxed hair breaking etc so i was in no rush.

i spent most time in braids but now just twist and go.

my hair is probably about 6-8 inches long.

Where I live

i live in sunny SE London! 8)

I reached Adornment!
Heard about it from my sister's friend and we all went. Was pleased i went and saw lots of really good hair styles, twists, locs, headwraps etc. The vibe was friendly and the host made me laugh when she was telling us to "smile" and say "hello" to people that we meet on the way round.

I was vex about the work shops though...i only managed to get on 1 of them about hair care and nutrition and we were sent to the wrong room originally so we missed the beginning of the talk!! (I was fuming. :x )

Anyways, i bought hair products, talked to the sisterlocs originator (her hair was amazing) and some other people.

I was so busy watching the "from the root" people doing their comb twists and twist outs that i by the time i went to get some food the queue was massive.

I don't know how i missed the fashion show. It must have been much later. I got there at 10.30am (too damn keen) so by 1.30 i thought i had pretty much seen all that there was to offer.

it was nice seeing so many naturals on the tube and on high street kensington. I was really pleased that people brought their kids there too because it was such a positive vibe there.

Hair Products....
I use too many to mention in this post or y'all might start logging off in boredom. :roll: A true product junkie i make my own, i buy some, i mix up some, i experiment.

I use ORS uplifting shampoo
From 'Adornment' I bought some of the Kemit Sava'ge stuff but haven't tried them yet.
numerous conditioners from Botanics, ORS Hair Mayonnaise, Le Kair Cholesterol, Herbal Essences Dry Damaged hair conditioner.
Shea Butter
Olive Oil
Vitamin E oil
Jojoba oil

I use essential oils, spray my hair with a glycerine mixture.

(p.s i don't use all of these products at the same time!! and there are plenty more products in my hair care box...)

At the moment, i am trying to work more on my diet to ensure that i am nourishing my hair from within rather than just trying to do it externally (this is what i was learning in the adornment workshop!)

I buy my hair stuff from Paks in Finsbury Park (on the victoria line) which has quite a good selection but i need to experiment and find more sources. I think i'll probably end up purchasing some things on the net at some stage.

Hair Salons

Ummm! Am always reluctant to have others do my hair. I tried one "braider from hell" who did the plaits so tight my face had a permanent shocked look, :shock: i couldn't sleep from the pain the first few nights and she didn't do my hair how i asked her to. :evil:

I tried From The Root and wasn't too impressed! I think i need to try them again and ask for the women who some of you recommended. I could do with another opinion on the health of my hair...sometimes it takes me a while to realise that i have split ends.

Going to untwist and wash my hair now so will see you guys soon.

1 luv.

guapa1
04-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi Nappstarr, welcome, I love the name.

Right Saturday 17 May is fine, but I'm working all the other weekends in May.

I can request one weekend in June off. I'll wait and see what weekend is looking good for everyone before I do this.

I'm sitting here trying to decide on a new style. I'm tired of twists now :roll:

Autumn
04-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Hey welcome Nappstar
Yeeeaaah another SE london nappy sister in the house :D

glad to hear everyone had a good time at adornment, its a definate for me next year, no doubt it will be bigger and better.

Any day in June is good for me, for a meet up, it definately has to be a weekend, and because we are coming from all parts of london, maybe it is better for the meeting to be central, so everyone has equal travelling distance, and there are a few from outside of london, i know Jazzypom is one of them, who might find it easier too, if they are planning on coming along.

Any suggestions on places to eat?
bwoy this is gonna get compilcated :roll: :lol:
i know of a couple of places in/off covent garden, i haven't been there in a couple of years,
maybe we should decide on what type of food,
Chinese
Vietnamese
Thai
Pizza
India
mexican
carribean

i can't think of any more, i am easy :D , i don't mind any of these.
maybe what Hynotizze said, about starting a new thread is a good idea :lol:

Cocopuff
04-30-2003, 10:59 AM
My natural peeps!

i can't believe that i spent so much time reading the other sections of this site that i missed my UK peeps planning get togethers and stuff.

and now u guys are talking about eating i can't be left out.

i got so much to say i don't know where to start...

Well, better start wid my hair:
Been natural all my life. yep, i know, your mouth may be wide open by now but i was always planning to texturise my hair but never got round to it 'cos i was concerned that i wouldn't have enough cash to maintain my hair properly. When i was studying, i heard so many stories about relaxed hair breaking etc so i was in no rush.

i spent most time in braids but now just twist and go.

my hair is probably about 6-8 inches long.

Where I live

i live in sunny SE London! 8)

I reached Adornment!
Heard about it from my sister's friend and we all went. Was pleased i went and saw lots of really good hair styles, twists, locs, headwraps etc. The vibe was friendly and the host made me laugh when she was telling us to "smile" and say "hello" to people that we meet on the way round.

I was vex about the work shops though...i only managed to get on 1 of them about hair care and nutrition and we were sent to the wrong room originally so we missed the beginning of the talk!! (I was fuming. :x )

Anyways, i bought hair products, talked to the sisterlocs originator (her hair was amazing) and some other people.

I was so busy watching the "from the root" people doing their comb twists and twist outs that i by the time i went to get some food the queue was massive.

I don't know how i missed the fashion show. It must have been much later. I got there at 10.30am (too damn keen) so by 1.30 i thought i had pretty much seen all that there was to offer.

it was nice seeing so many naturals on the tube and on high street kensington. I was really pleased that people brought their kids there too because it was such a positive vibe there.

Hair Products....
I use too many to mention in this post or y'all might start logging off in boredom. :roll: A true product junkie i make my own, i buy some, i mix up some, i experiment.

I use ORS uplifting shampoo
From 'Adornment' I bought some of the Kemit Sava'ge stuff but haven't tried them yet.
numerous conditioners from Botanics, ORS Hair Mayonnaise, Le Kair Cholesterol, Herbal Essences Dry Damaged hair conditioner.
Shea Butter
Olive Oil
Vitamin E oil
Jojoba oil

I use essential oils, spray my hair with a glycerine mixture.

(p.s i don't use all of these products at the same time!! and there are plenty more products in my hair care box...)

At the moment, i am trying to work more on my diet to ensure that i am nourishing my hair from within rather than just trying to do it externally (this is what i was learning in the adornment workshop!)

I buy my hair stuff from Paks in Finsbury Park (on the victoria line) which has quite a good selection but i need to experiment and find more sources. I think i'll probably end up purchasing some things on the net at some stage.

Hair Salons

Ummm! Am always reluctant to have others do my hair. I tried one "braider from hell" who did the plaits so tight my face had a permanent shocked look, :shock: i couldn't sleep from the pain the first few nights and she didn't do my hair how i asked her to. :evil:

I tried From The Root and wasn't too impressed! I think i need to try them again and ask for the women who some of you recommended. I could do with another opinion on the health of my hair...sometimes it takes me a while to realise that i have split ends.

Going to untwist and wash my hair now so will see you guys soon.

1 luv.

Welcome Nappstar, you were in that work shop too about nutrution (sp) I was too :D I missed the first half also. :?

I went to Purely Natural on Sunday and I must say that I wasn't too impressed neither :roll: Especially with the lady who did my hair. I wanted it Dyed a burgandy red colour but they didn't have much of a selection so I chose a sort of redish brown colour :? I asked before I went if they had my colour and they said they did :roll:

She didn't take much care removing the foil when the coloour had taken, even when drying she was a bit rough. I don't think I'd be back there in a hurry :roll:

Hypnotizze
05-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Ladies,

Please note that Cocopuff has started a new thread specifically for the get together. It can be found here:

http://www.nappturality.com/phpbb2/viewtop...opic.php?t=6133 (http://www.nappturality.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6133)

Please go over and add some input and hopefully we can do this! :) 8)

Cassandra
05-01-2003, 01:50 PM
May 17 is fine for me also. :D

Hypnotizze
05-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Ladies,

Please note that Cocopuff has started a new thread specifically for the get together. It can be found here:

http://www.nappturality.com/phpbb2/viewtop...opic.php?t=6133 (http://www.nappturality.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6133)

Please go over and add some input and hopefully we can do this! :) 8)

bijoks
05-06-2003, 04:23 AM
[quote]

I went to Purely Natural on Sunday and I must say that I wasn't too impressed neither :roll: Especially with the lady who did my hair. I wanted it Dyed a burgandy red colour but they didn't have much of a selection so I chose a sort of redish brown colour :? I asked before I went if they had my colour and they said they did :roll:

She didn't take much care removing the foil when the coloour had taken, even when drying she was a bit rough. I don't think I'd be back there in a hurry :roll:

[/color]

I thought I was the only one who wasn't impressed. I went to do my twists there . Even though it was largely a napp-friendly environment, the stylist who did my hair acted like my nappy hair was some sort of enemy. There were tears in my eyes by the time she was done. And yes I tried letting her know I wasn't enjoying myself. She was just clueless about handling my hair . The good thing is I have finally mastered (somewhat) the 2-strand twist technique. Can we say LIBERATION :D :onfire: :BIG:

bijoks
05-12-2003, 06:56 PM
bump

Autumn
05-20-2003, 06:22 PM
wow bjork, another bad experience at a salon, how much did they charge you?
has any UK sister had a good experince with a natural salon?,
i don&#39;t know anyone who goes to a salon any more, even the relaxed ones do it themself or get a friend, because of the bad experinces they had :blink:
i know allot of the hairdresser carry on like they are doing u such a big favour, alot of their attitudes stink! Most of my experinces have been crappy, but i have for most of my life done my own hair, or got my family to do it.

all the best

A

ekua
05-20-2003, 07:16 PM
I largely do my hair myself (I have locks), but there are times when I go to a salon to get my hair retwisted.

Worst experience of a natural hair salon was the first and last time I went to Back to Eden. My hair wasn&#39;t twisted very well and I waited over two hours to be seen.

Never again!

No problems with Purely Natural though. Morris Roots in Tooting is supposed to be very good however.

ekua
05-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Sorry, but I couldn&#39;t resist :lol:

Beckham has started a &#39;trend&#39; apparently.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39241000/jpg/_39241957_jamieson_mercury_203.jpg

Becks apparantly paid £450 for the &#39;do&#39;.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39238000/jpg/_39238601_beck203.jpg

Autumn
05-20-2003, 08:47 PM
£450 :blink: :blink: :blink:

wtf

Autumn
05-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Hey ekua,
how u been?

We have set a date for uk get together

hope u can make it, 14 June,
check the uk nappies date thread

all the best

A

ekua
05-21-2003, 10:05 AM
@Autumn that&#39;s right before my exams. I&#39;ve kept that day open in my diary. If I feel I&#39;ve done enough revision, I&#39;ll be there as I&#39;m sure I&#39;ll need a break!
B)

jazzypom
05-21-2003, 10:13 AM
i have the date written down as well.

i will definately try to be there.

hmmmph, beckham and his £450 hair do. I b*tched when the hairdresser charged me £10!

bijoks
05-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ekua@May 20 2003, 06:31 PM
Sorry, but I couldn&#39;t resist :lol:

Beckham has started a &#39;trend&#39; apparently.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39241000/jpg/_39241957_jamieson_mercury_203.jpg

Becks apparantly paid £450 for the &#39;do&#39;.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39238000/jpg/_39238601_beck203.jpg
:lol: I can just see it.....

bijoks
05-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi Autumn,
I paid 40 pounds for the twists. I think the problem was the particular stylist that did my hair. For one thing , her hair was straightened. She acted like she&#39;d never dealt with nappy hair before. I mean she was trying to comb my dry hair with a fine tooth comb. I had bits of hair coming out and I cautioned her a couple of times. By the time she was done, I was sore....so NO TIP. (I don&#39;t pay for pain). Anyway the good thing is I finally learnt how to do my own twists....and my way is painless.

Cocopuff
05-21-2003, 12:33 PM
bwoy £450 I thought he would pay at least 100.

So has annyone come up with any thing to do once on this get together.

someone mentioned Nandos.

what a bout a product swap? I know I have things to get rid off, what about you?

Autumn
05-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey Cocoapuff

a product swap would be a great idea, unfortunatley i don&#39;t have any :(
gave them all away to friends and family, they loved me when i was going thru my trying all the products in the shops phrase,
they are dissappointed now because i have found what products work for me and i don&#39;t have anything to give away any more :lol: :lol: :lol: