PDA

View Full Version : A Blowout



kinkynikki
12-12-2003, 04:26 PM
I've seen a few folx who've done blowouts on their hair. What is the purpose of it? Is it to get a lil' more length?

tran68
12-12-2003, 04:44 PM
I do it to stretch my hair for trims, it's also fun because your hair ends up HUGE like Ludacris and I like big hair on occasion! :)

kinkynikki
12-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks.

nappi_poetri
12-12-2003, 05:00 PM
i'll do it occasionally to achieve a certain style with more of the length of my hair.

HuGrad2002
12-12-2003, 05:25 PM
me too, I am rockin a HUGE fro right now and I am about to go to school!

dewdrop
12-15-2003, 01:53 AM
I did a blow out and wore a Big BIG A$$ AFro and everybody was in awe of it at school. The funny part was that several of my friends didn't even recognize me. They said "ya I saw this girl the other day w/ a B.A.A. that looked just like you". I laughed at them and told them it WAS me and the didn't believe me. hahahaha.

Ace9
12-15-2003, 02:02 AM
I'd like to ask a question..

What is involved in a blow-out kit? I have no idea, and I do see a box that is a blow-out kit..but I thought maybe a blow dryer or combs are involved? I wanted to know if there are any kind of lotions or pressing creams involved...my hair is in need of serious kinds of moisturizer when I add heat to my head.

A9

Beryl
12-15-2003, 02:16 AM
"Back in the day" it was make it look like a 4b -- big Angela Davis/Huey Newton fro.

I don't know about any kits tho. Braiding overnight worked well enough.

skylighter
12-15-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Ace9@Dec 14 2003, 09:02 PM
I'd like to ask a question..

What is involved in a blow-out kit? I have no idea, and I do see a box that is a blow-out kit..but I thought maybe a blow dryer or combs are involved? I wanted to know if there are any kind of lotions or pressing creams involved...my hair is in need of serious kinds of moisturizer when I add heat to my head.

A9
Stay away from those commercial "blow-out" kits. They're nothing but undercover texturizers. I hate that they use pics of people with natural hair when there is nothing natural about them. All you need is a blowdryer with a comb attachment and a good heat protectant for your hair.

jainygirl
12-15-2003, 03:31 AM
my mom told me that braiding the hair at night works. She says she used to braid up my dads hair on thursday nights so when they went out on Friday my daddy's hair would be HUGE :)

skegee94
12-15-2003, 04:02 AM
So, after braiding it overnight, then you use the blowdryer?? I assume not (unless it's still a little damp?). But otherwise, if I just braid it overnight and undo the braids, I just have a braidout, which doesn't look huge and fluffy, just wavy.
Or do you mean that you can braid overnight and then pick it in the a.m.?
I won't worry about trying to have a giant puff until winter is over, but I'd like to be prepared, when the time comes!

undrea
12-15-2003, 04:09 AM
I don't really blow out often. Sometimes I'll do it to have a huge afro or afro puff, but mostly I just braid at night and the pick it out in the morning.

Chamber
12-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by kinkynikki@Dec 12 2003, 11:26 AM
I've seen a few folx who've done blowouts on their hair. What is the purpose of it? Is it to get a lil' more length?
I get blowouts as part of my hair cuts. My stylist washes, deep conditions then seperates into 4 stretched sections. She sits me under the hooded dryer for about 45 minutes. Then, she pulls me out and uses the hand dryer with comb attachment for the full blown out afro. She uses a moisturizer from Natural Oasis. She goes through every inch of my hair taking off dead ends and shaping my layers.
I don't wear blowouts as a style- its only purpose for me is at the salon for haircuts.

Azure
12-15-2003, 05:13 AM
When I used to do blowouts (can't do em now! Hair grows in uneven! :( ) I did it to get the bigger, fluffier fro. Now I see that braiding or doing big twists to pick out in the morning work just as well without looking totally uneven.

Azure :)

Ebony
12-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Ace9@Dec 14 2003, 10:02 PM
I'd like to ask a question..

What is involved in a blow-out kit? I have no idea, and I do see a box that is a blow-out kit..but I thought maybe a blow dryer or combs are involved? I wanted to know if there are any kind of lotions or pressing creams involved...my hair is in need of serious kinds of moisturizer when I add heat to my head.

A9
A blow out and a blow out kit are two entirely different things.

Those kits are texturizers aka no-lye aka lye.

netta1
12-15-2003, 04:13 PM
does the hair revert back easily after being blown out???

sugarNfeist
12-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Girl. I couldn't tell you I've never been able to accomplish a blowout. But I believe the purpose is to get the BAA look. I've found that banding, twisting or stretching the hair in some other method, and then picking the hair out as far as it would go works just as well. And hey no worries about heat. I don't have enough hair for a BAA Probably about 5-6 in of varying length all over. But I am having so much fun playing with it!! :)

tran68
12-15-2003, 06:36 PM
does the hair revert back easily after being blown out???

I hear stories about folk having problems with their hair not going back but Saturday I did my 3rd blow-out and actually flat-ironed it on top of it and it still went back to it's good ole nappy, shrunken self. My bf was crackin up cause erry time he walked past the bathroom my hair was a different texture! :d) I ended up wetting it and wearing a high nappy puff to the Christmas party because the straight style was too much hair on my neck and face :razz and I knew I would sweat it out on the dance floor so you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to partay! :lol

jetblackkinks
12-15-2003, 07:00 PM
I don't blow out anymore personally; I found it to be too damaging to my hair. I find that banding works just as well (yea better) for what I'm trying to accomplish, which is a big ole soft puffy stretched out fro. I don't stretch my hair for trims. I just pull it between my fingers and cut just like they do at the beauty shop...except it snaps back after I cut it.

jetblackkinks

ReRoyalty
12-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by skylighter+Dec 15 2003, 03:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skylighter @ Dec 15 2003, 03:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ace9@Dec 14 2003, 09:02 PM
I&#39;d like to ask a question..

What is involved in a blow-out kit? I have no idea, and I do see a box that is a blow-out kit..but I thought maybe a blow dryer or combs are involved? I wanted to know if there are any kind of lotions or pressing creams involved...my hair is in need of serious kinds of moisturizer when I add heat to my head.

A9
Stay away from those commercial "blow-out" kits. They&#39;re nothing but undercover texturizers. I hate that they use pics of people with natural hair when there is nothing natural about them. All you need is a blowdryer with a comb attachment and a good heat protectant for your hair. [/b][/quote]
:doh Slow is me! I surely didn&#39;t know that. Thanks for putting me in the know :thumbsup

Ace9
12-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by skylighter+Dec 15 2003, 03:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skylighter @ Dec 15 2003, 03:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ace9@Dec 14 2003, 09:02 PM
I&#39;d like to ask a question..

What is involved in a blow-out kit? I have no idea, and I do see a box that is a blow-out kit..but I thought maybe a blow dryer or combs are involved? I wanted to know if there are any kind of lotions or pressing creams involved...my hair is in need of serious kinds of moisturizer when I add heat to my head.

A9
Stay away from those commercial "blow-out" kits. They&#39;re nothing but undercover texturizers. I hate that they use pics of people with natural hair when there is nothing natural about them. All you need is a blowdryer with a comb attachment and a good heat protectant for your hair. [/b][/quote]
Oh My Gosh!!! :shock :doh Thank you so much for telling me. I was thinking of purchasing it... I suspected somethign was off when I saw it sitting next to the texturizer box by the same people. But it seemed legit, as you mentioned they had natural haired people on the box..

You just saved the day!@!!

:bis :bis

QueenMoe
12-16-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Azure@Dec 14 2003, 11:13 PM
When I used to do blowouts (can&#39;t do em now! Hair grows in uneven! :( ) I did it to get the bigger, fluffier fro. Now I see that braiding or doing big twists to pick out in the morning work just as well without looking totally uneven.

Azure :)
For those of you who braid your hair at night, how big/thick are your braids? I&#39;ve tried this twice, but I must be doing something wrong. When I take down my braids in the morning, I have sections of crinkled hair that are hard to comb through. And I have to go through detangling my hair all over again. Please give me some advice.

nappyesquire
12-16-2003, 05:49 AM
i have the same problem as queenmoe! please advise!!! :)

dedicated
12-16-2003, 06:05 AM
Blow Out Kit, AKA Texturizer (http://www.cordiallyyours.net/hair_skin/usa/item2275.htm)

Anyhoo,

I usually arrive at my BAA by means of a twist out. After a few days, I wind up with a soft, fluffy BAA. Just this weekend, I plaited my hair, waited a day or two then took them down, sprayed each section with stay soft fro and picked it out to a BAA. If I don&#39;t spray each section, then my hair would be hard to comb through like the other poster described. I guess maybe my hair isn&#39;t moisturized enough. Maybe if it were it would be more pliable once the braids came out. I&#39;m thinking about trying shea butter.

AllThatHair
12-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by skylighter+Dec 15 2003, 03:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skylighter @ Dec 15 2003, 03:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ace9@Dec 14 2003, 09:02 PM
I&#39;d like to ask a question..

What is involved in a blow-out kit? I have no idea, and I do see a box that is a blow-out kit..but I thought maybe a blow dryer or combs are involved? I wanted to know if there are any kind of lotions or pressing creams involved...my hair is in need of serious kinds of moisturizer when I add heat to my head.

A9
Stay away from those commercial "blow-out" kits. They&#39;re nothing but undercover texturizers. I hate that they use pics of people with natural hair when there is nothing natural about them. All you need is a blowdryer with a comb attachment and a good heat protectant for your hair. [/b][/quote]
Oh my...I had no idea. I always wondered what those blow out kits were. Yikes!!!

I like the look my hair blown out, but I havent done it in months. For some reason I feel like I am hurting my hair when I blew it out (even though I rarely did it). I cant even imagine putting a hot comb to it :shocked

angielocks
12-17-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by jainygirl@Dec 14 2003, 10:31 PM
my mom told me that braiding the hair at night works. She says she used to braid up my dads hair on thursday nights so when they went out on Friday my daddy&#39;s hair would be HUGE :)
yep! that&#39;s what i did with my hair the other night!

Kadeepoo
12-17-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by QueenMoe+Dec 16 2003, 12:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (QueenMoe @ Dec 16 2003, 12:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Azure@Dec 14 2003, 11:13 PM
When I used to do blowouts (can&#39;t do em now! Hair grows in uneven! :( ) I did it to get the bigger, fluffier fro. Now I see that braiding or doing big twists to pick out in the morning work just as well without looking totally uneven.

Azure :)
For those of you who braid your hair at night, how big/thick are your braids? I&#39;ve tried this twice, but I must be doing something wrong. When I take down my braids in the morning, I have sections of crinkled hair that are hard to comb through. And I have to go through detangling my hair all over again. Please give me some advice.[/b][/quote]
My hair is about four to five inches in length and I usually plait it in about five or six big box braids (think the kind of braids you might&#39;ve worn when you were younger) before I go to bed and gently undo them with my fingers in the morning. I say that if you can&#39;t undo the braids by just using your fingers, then they are too small. :)

Azure
12-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by QueenMoe+Dec 16 2003, 12:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (QueenMoe @ Dec 16 2003, 12:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Azure@Dec 14 2003, 11:13 PM
When I used to do blowouts (can&#39;t do em now! Hair grows in uneven! :( ) I did it to get the bigger, fluffier fro. Now I see that braiding or doing big twists to pick out in the morning work just as well without looking totally uneven.

Azure :)
For those of you who braid your hair at night, how big/thick are your braids? I&#39;ve tried this twice, but I must be doing something wrong. When I take down my braids in the morning, I have sections of crinkled hair that are hard to comb through. And I have to go through detangling my hair all over again. Please give me some advice. [/b][/quote]
What I do is braid or twist into 10-12 sections at night and then undo in the morning. I think that the key is I detangle beforehand and then comb and smooth through each section before I twist. In the morning, I keep a water bottle nearby just in case there is a crinkly tangled spot.

HTH!

Azure :cow: