PDA

View Full Version : What the Girl Scouts Don't Tell You

BlackOnyx03
02-21-2003, 04:17 AM
My feelings are soooo hurt! My sister bought me a box of my favorite GS cookies -- Samoas! MmmmmMMMMMGOOOD!!!!

Anywho, why does 1 serving (which is two measly cookies, by the way) have 150 calories? 70 of the calories are from fat, and speaking of fat -- these two cookies have 23% of the daily recommended allowance of saturated fat!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

And to think I used to be a GS myself....

triciegirl
02-21-2003, 04:25 AM
Thanks for that information. I would have never known, because I would be to busy eating chumping away to look at the box. Man that scary I know I eat way more than to cookies.

afrikankween
02-21-2003, 04:36 AM
I have already decided that I wont be participating in the Girl Scout cookie rage this year. I meay have one or two short bread cookies, but I wont be purchasing boxes like I did last year.

Curlysaurus
02-21-2003, 04:53 AM
My feelings are soooo hurt! My sister bought me a box of my favorite GS cookies -- Samoas! MmmmmMMMMMGOOOD!!!!

Anywho, why does 1 serving (which is two measly cookies, by the way) have 150 calories? 70 of the calories are from fat, and speaking of fat -- these two cookies have 23% of the daily recommended allowance of saturated fat!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

And to think I used to be a GS myself....

The Samoas have coconut in 'em and coconut contains tons of saturated fat. I used to be a GS too and Samoas are my faves :D

MsAfrodite
02-21-2003, 10:02 AM
[b]Everything that is good to ya, isn't always good for ya! yow! and those are my favorites as well!
!
MsAfrodite

Suki
02-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Oh didn't they tell you. Women aren't supposed to EAT the cookies. You're just supposed to make the cookies and save them for the guys when they get back from thier camping trips.

LotsOfLocs
02-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Yall, trying to knock the Girl Scouts hustle! LOL

Suki
02-21-2003, 03:54 PM
I bought two boxes of girl scout cookies this year and I was so upset at the fat content in these things I just couldn't eat them. They are still in my desk ( I dare not take them home ) and I can not even give them away. No one at my job will take them. I just find it ironic that in this culture where THIN THIN THIN is being beaten into little girls heads constantly they have little girls in cute uniforms selling fat laden cookies ( a heart attack in a box ) and the boys are selling popcorn!!!!! I do love those little tins that the unpopped popcorn comes in though. Boy scout tins are so cute and you can use it for lots of stuff when the popcorns gone, but what do you get when you buy girl scout cookies? A big box of fat that everybody is afraid to eat?

BlackOnyx03
02-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Oh didn't they tell you. Women aren't supposed to EAT the cookies. You're just supposed to make the cookies and save them for the guys when they get back from thier camping trips.

LOL :D

Joyfulocs
02-21-2003, 07:52 PM
I never looked at the fat content. I just knew that I didn't want to be within 5 feet of a box of thin mints somebody just took out of the freezer, so I would buy the cookies and give them away at work. Those women were gym rats anyway. ;)

Now that I can't afford them, I won't feel guilty telling the little scouts I know that Ms. Kym isn't going to order this year. :D

Curlysaurus
02-22-2003, 04:00 AM
I don't know about where yall live but round here (Colorado) those little girls set up right as you enter the supermarket :( :? :D They have a captive audience. . .

This is probably bitter grapes talking :wink: , but I had to go door to door to sell my cookies as a GS (ok, I had to go door to door with my Mom who did all the talking 'cause I was too shy). :lol:

Maestradiva77
02-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info.

nappyandhappy
02-22-2003, 05:12 PM
I knew what the fat content was in the Samoa cookies,, but they're my favorite cookies so I just don't care I'll still eat them.

Oya
02-22-2003, 08:08 PM
uhhhh dont they have the nutritional content on the side of the box. that'd be like smoking a cigarrette and not knowing that it can cause cancer, when it says it right on the side of the carton.

Now unless these little girls are selling them and dont have the boxes out?? I always remembered walking around with sample boxes. But if these lil girls dont.... then we talking about a hustle, lol. You've been bamboozled, led astray, run a muck.....lol

BlackOnyx03
02-22-2003, 08:48 PM
uhhhh dont they have the nutritional content on the side of the box. that'd be like smoking a cigarrette and not knowing that it can cause cancer, when it says it right on the side of the carton.

Yeah they do. But the point is, I've been eating these things since I was a kid. I used to be a GS myself -- long before I knew what all those percentage-jibber-jabbers even meant. Now that I'm 21, I'm reading the box and I HAD to look out for some other unsuspecting ladies! :D

Oya
02-22-2003, 08:59 PM

Yeah they do. But the point is, I've been eating these things since I was a kid. I used to be a GS myself -- long before I knew what all those percentage-jibber-jabbers even meant. Now that I'm 21, I'm reading the box and I HAD to look out for some other unsuspecting ladies! :D

i know me too, i'm only 22 and sometimes i feel more health conscious than most middle aged people. I hate having to worry about cholesterol and blood pressure. Lol, why did i just think of that movie with the lady from Cheers. I think the movie was called "Troop Beverly Hills", those lil girls did anything and everything to sell you a cookie, even put up a stand outside a health gym and lied and said the cookies were good for your health and wont ruin your diet. Hmm didnt seem like they were living up to the girl scout oath.

"On my honor, I will try to serve God and my country. To help people at all times and to live by the girl scout law." :lol: Whoa, why do i still know that, and why are they allowed to work that religious angle in there. Oops getting off topic........

Azure
02-23-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah I know that they have all that fat, but they only sell them once a year....and I loooooooove me some Samoas.......so I'll just eat one or two a day.

I can't give 'em up y'all!!! :P

Fauryn78
02-24-2003, 02:43 AM
OOOOH! Samoas are my favorite too.... they might be full of fat - but I'll still be eating them ( I guess i'll just have to run around the block a couple of times afterwards)