PDA

View Full Version : Help! I Thing I Burned My Hair

rhea95
12-14-2005, 02:28 PM
:doh

I straightend my hair after growing it for one year natural. I did the big chop last Oct and I have really been feeling my natural hair. I had a formal military ball to attend and decided to straighten it for lack of a style. Well now a small section of my hair will not coil. Do I have to cut it all off again because i dont want to do that. Please help!!!! I dont want to go back to burning my scalp with chems every six weeks!

afrobeauty77
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
All you can do is try a deep treatment and see if that will help. :dunno: I have seen far to many post with the same problem and most have been stuck with getting rid of the burned ends. Either with another B/C or constant trims. Good luck, and leave them sizzling teeth alone.

Jazitones
12-14-2005, 02:33 PM

I straightend my hair after growing it for one year natural. I did the big chop last Oct and I have really been feeling my natural hair. I had a formal military ball to attend and decided to straighten it for lack of a style. Well now a small section of my hair will not coil. Do I have to cut it all off again because i dont want to do that. Please help!!!! I dont want to go back to burning my scalp with chems every six weeks!
[/b]

Some folks will say wait awhile after a couple of shampoos, the hair might snap back and hopefully it will. If not then you might have to clip those burnt ends off. Sorry! :)

Serbbral
12-14-2005, 02:33 PM
[Message deleted]

LaMrsSweetness
12-14-2005, 02:38 PM
:pop:

sonce
12-14-2005, 02:46 PM
:lol:

Stay away from heating implements and consider this a learning experience. Perhaps your hair might snap back, perhaps it won't but was the temporarily straight hair worth the agonizing over possible damage?

MissThing606
12-14-2005, 03:03 PM

[/b]

In a nutshell, it's damaged. If it's a small section you might be able to disguise it by styling and it might coil back with some good ol' conditioning.

But it's hair and grows. so next time you have a formal occasion and need styling tips bring you azz here first!!! :P

LilShortRib
12-14-2005, 03:58 PM
I am so happy this hasn't turned into a slugfest - yet! :D

rhea95, I see you have been an NP member since '04, but this is your first post. I am just curious to know how much you have logged into NP.

How did you straighten your hair? With just a flaming hot tool of hair torture or did you blow it out as well?

There have been so many topics like this one in the past year, you may want to do a search. Follow some of the ladies' suggestions, but if it doesn't snap back in a month or two I am sorry to tell you you may have to cut it - but it will grow back!

rhea95
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Slugfest?

True I have never posted anything on napptural. I joined once i decided to cut my hair off and go natural. I always admired other natural women and wished that I had the guts to do it but i was always worried that my husband wouldnt like it or that people would look at me different. I work in a corporate setting and for the most part the few sistas that are there wear relaxers. But one day i took out the braids I had been wearing and noticed that i had at least an inch of natural hair so i washed it to get a real feel of the new growth and cut off all of the straight pieces. My husband came home that night looked at me and said "That's new, but I'm sure I'll get used to it". I took his comment as he didnt like it so i went to the barbershop and had it trimmed into a neat fro. My husband loves my fro and when i straightened it he asked me why. I told him I didnt want to go to the ball with a fro and have on a ballgown. He said he understood but wanted me to go back to my fro asap. Now i have screwed my hair up. I washed it after the first post and towel dried it. i use carol's daughter and twisted my hair. i forgot to mention that i chopped of the straight spot and tucked it behind my ear. I'm sure it will gro back but no more heat for me. To answer short rib I went to the salon and she blew it out and used a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture. I guess i really need to use the resources this site has to offer. :(

NyckeiXXIV
12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
SOMEBODY, ANYBODY.... PLEASE GROUP THESE "I used the flaming hot tool of torture for a day/weekend/work/formal and now it won't go back" STORIES TOGETHER AND PIN THEM!!!!

Here we go again. People, we got to do better.

One Love,
Nyckei

nukia
12-14-2005, 07:47 PM
SOMEBODY, ANYBODY.... PLEASE GROUP THESE "I used the flaming hot tool of torture for a day/weekend/work/formal and now it won't go back" STORIES TOGETHER AND PIN THEM!!!!

One Love,
Nyckei
[/b]

I thought there was one already :lol:

BreezySeas
12-14-2005, 08:01 PM
:pop:
[/b]
Pass some over here

<div class='quotemain'>
SOMEBODY, ANYBODY.... PLEASE GROUP THESE "I used the flaming hot tool of torture for a day/weekend/work/formal and now it won&#39;t go back" STORIES TOGETHER AND PIN THEM!!!!

One Love,
Nyckei
[/b]

I thought there was one already :lol:
[/b][/quote]
It sure keeps me from doing it.

KnappilyMe
12-14-2005, 08:01 PM
<div align="center">see... i was gonna say alot... then nothing... but that would not be me doing my job of the KIRM (keepin it real movement)

i noticed your member join date

i take it you are a lurker

lurk this
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24408

peace</div>

NaTural_High
12-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Slugfest?
[/b]

If you want to fry your hair on a stove, with fried green tomatoes on the side, go right ahead.
But, if you do and then come in here saying "oh I can&#39;t believe what I have done, what was I thinking"? or "I just wanted a straight look for a change and now I have scabs what do I do"? (case by case basis)
What do you think the response is going to be?
What did you think was going to happen?
[/b]
I don&#39;t think anyone&#39;s trying to "slug" you, I just think they&#39;re keepin&#39; it real and are pretty tired of the same ol&#39; threads about this that&#39;s all.

naturalay
12-14-2005, 08:14 PM
I don&#39;t think anyone&#39;s trying to "slug" you, I just think they&#39;re keepin&#39; it real and are pretty tired of the same ol&#39; threads about this that&#39;s all.
[/b]

:unsure:

true

KnappilyMe
12-14-2005, 08:14 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
Slugfest?
[/b]

If you want to fry your hair on a stove, with fried green tomatoes on the side, go right ahead.
But, if you do and then come in here saying "oh I can&#39;t believe what I have done, what was I thinking"? or "I just wanted a straight look for a change and now I have scabs what do I do"? (case by case basis)
What do you think the response is going to be?
What did you think was going to happen?
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
preach

LilShortRib
12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Slugfest?

True I have never posted anything on napptural. I joined once i decided to cut my hair off and go natural. I always admired other natural women and wished that I had the guts to do it but i was always worried that my husband wouldnt like it or that people would look at me different. I work in a corporate setting and for the most part the few sistas that are there wear relaxers. But one day i took out the braids I had been wearing and noticed that i had at least an inch of natural hair so i washed it to get a real feel of the new growth and cut off all of the straight pieces. My husband came home that night looked at me and said "That&#39;s new, but I&#39;m sure I&#39;ll get used to it". I took his comment as he didnt like it so i went to the barbershop and had it trimmed into a neat fro. My husband loves my fro and when i straightened it he asked me why. I told him I didnt want to go to the ball with a fro and have on a ballgown. He said he understood but wanted me to go back to my fro asap. Now i have screwed my hair up. I washed it after the first post and towel dried it. i use carol&#39;s daughter and twisted my hair. i forgot to mention that i chopped of the straight spot and tucked it behind my ear. I&#39;m sure it will gro back but no more heat for me. To answer short rib I went to the salon and she blew it out and used a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture. I guess i really need to use the resources this site has to offer. :(
[/b]

As the other posters have mentioned, there have been a lot of topics of this sort for a while now. Sometimes it can turn very ugly, hence what I meant by &#39;slugfest&#39;.

But what I noticed about your post is how you keep mentioning what your husband thinks about your hair. Are you wearing your hair according to what you think he will like or what you will like? I am concerned because if you are wearing your hair to please other people then this going back and forth with hair woes may continue to happen. :2cents:

With that said I will go sit down and be quiet... ;)

KinkyB1216
12-15-2005, 01:25 AM
I remember when I wanted to cut my hair. My husband always said that he would slap a "p.erm" in my hair. Boy was he shocked when I finally went through with cutting my hair! So, I reminded him of our wedding vows..."for better or worse till death do we part." I told him that if this is worse, it will get better :rolleyes:
Now, he loves to run his fingers in my hair (that doesn&#39;t last long because I rarely comb my hair-his fingers always get caught in a nap).

ReddyLoques
12-15-2005, 02:12 AM
You didn&#39;t want to wear an afro with a ballgown ?? Well i can&#39;t say anything about your own personal comfortability with that.. but I can say ** Was the wig shop closed ** Why burn your own hair when you can slap on a wig for a few hours and call it an evening. If you&#39;re not comfortable with your own hair that is.

(totally not to attack you but I notice the trend) why is it that this subject keeps popping up around prom, weddings, balls, and company functions.. Nappy hair can&#39;t be sexxy too? Put a flower behind the ear, rhinestone barettes, satin headband with fro popping out in the back..

liberationtheory
12-15-2005, 02:16 AM
this is how i can tell a new month has passed... just like napp of the month, we should start a "i burned my hair" of the month

well on a positive note, these posts keep me from p.ressing my hair or even blowdrying it.

napturallyme
12-15-2005, 02:19 AM
this is how i can tell a new month has passed... just like napp of the month, we should start a "i burned my hair" of the month

well on a positive note, these posts keep me from p.ressing my hair or even blowdrying it.
[/b]

For Real!

shokalatte_karamel
12-15-2005, 02:33 AM
:lol:

Stay away from heating implements and consider this a learning experience. Perhaps your hair might snap back, perhaps it won&#39;t but was the temporarily straight hair worth the agonizing over possible damage?
[/b]

Girl, don&#39;t laugh... *bursts out* :lol: Sorry, I couldn&#39;t keep straight face. LOL jk
You&#39;re right, though. This is a learning experience. Everyone has been saying this, and a very important message about heat is even pinned on this message board. Heat can alter your hair texture for longer than you intended...

To the original poster.. I&#39;m sorry about this! Just give it time and see if your texture will come back. I really hope it does.

liberationtheory
12-15-2005, 02:55 AM
curiosity killed the cat.. and the naps.

EvesDilemma
12-15-2005, 03:24 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: @

[/b]

deecoily
12-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Say NO to heat.

Just say NO!

~Dee~