PDA

View Full Version : Scarves and Headwraps...

naturalpeach
12-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone,
I really love scarves, but it's hard for me to find nice ones with texture or patterns I live. I was wondering if there are any of you ladies make your own scarves and/or headwraps. And if you do, then how do you usually go about it and what types fabric do you use? Thanks, I appreciate any response.

LPB

elleebeme5
12-17-2003, 01:30 AM
I just use silk. I know that satin is okay but I prefer silk. I go to consignment stores and look for pretty blouses or camisoles. I cut the fabric and make a headband/scarf.

Knottygal
12-17-2003, 02:52 AM
I've bought a few headwraps from www.bilaldesigns.com

I usually make most of my own using two yards of cotton material. I've found pretty material at Wal-Mart and fabric stores.

I'm experimenting with making headbands right now.

teekydawg
12-17-2003, 04:17 AM
Yep, I make scarves, hair wraps and headbands. I find fabric at fabric stores, G-street fabrics and Joannes, also there is this fabulous fabric store in MD that sells fabrics from all over the world where I buy fabric and remnants. Walmart has some good stuff and in most suburban areas the $1 yard bin has hidden jewels. They also sell elastic and beads.

Most material I work with is cotton, but I also work with rayon (for scarves).

alma2254
12-17-2003, 09:49 AM
HI- I love making my own scarves and headwraps. I prefer to use stretch materials, and I usually go to the asian shops where I can get loads of different and beautiful designs for cheap prices.

Leecee
12-17-2003, 01:49 PM
I like stetchy material as well. I usually go to fabric stores in the neighborhood or in chinatown and buy a yard of fabric. Some of them get a little irriatated when you only want to buy a yard, but oh well.

Joannav6
12-23-2003, 08:19 PM
I know this is kind of ghetto but when I want a new headwrap I usually find an old tee shirt. I have alot of them so I just find the right color to match. I cut it atleast six inches from bottom and then go along the outer seam with the scissors.(sp) I have a few of the silk scarves but they slide to easily.

teekydawg
12-26-2003, 12:08 AM
I know this is kind of ghetto but when I want a new headwrap I usually find an old tee shirt

i love that look......but everytime i got it to look right i'd forget how i did it.