PDA

View Full Version : Tefl Opportunities In Japan

Gacela20
12-21-2005, 09:45 PM
I've been looking into teaching English as a foreign language abroad. After some research, I realised that because so many people in Asia are interested in learning English, it's become a big business, with many anglophones taking advantage of the chance to see another part of the world and work for 250,000 - 300,000 yen (US$2131 - $2557) plus subsidised housing.

I've pretty much ruled out South Korea for various reasons, but I'm very interested in Japan. NOVA, AEON and other companies basically have institutes all over Japan. The students come from all types of backgrounds - school-aged children, businessmen, housewives, etc. The classes are usually small. Another option is JET (Japanese Exchange and Teaching), but you'd be an assistant to a Japanese secondary school teacher who teaches English. You basically replace the radio and tape recorder in class.

I just wanted to put this out there for those who might've wanted to go to Asia for longer than the usual tourist holiday and make some money as well. And I would love to hear from anyone who has taught in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc.

cocoamil
12-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Humm that's good info to know since I love the Asia-pacific area and I'm stationed in Okinawa now. But I will add don't count Korea out I loved it and if I had the option I would go back to live. I was love at first Kimchi bite :lol:

Gacela20
12-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Cocoamil,
I counted Korea out because of the horror stories I was hearing from EFL teachers working in institutes or 'hogwons' not being paid. The institute directors seemed out for a quick and dishonest dollar. Obviously, not all are like that, but still...

If anyone's interested, here are two sites for obtaining a TEFL certificate. The first one is for a programme in Greece, which also includes practical teaching experience. It's http://www.teflcorinth.com

The other is for those interested in studying online. http://www.teflonline.net

Obelia
12-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Humm that's good info to know since I love the Asia-pacific area and I'm stationed in Okinawa now. But I will add don't count Korea out I loved it and if I had the option I would go back to live. I was love at first Kimchi bite :lol:
[/b]

:D Us, too! We've been here for a year. I don't have much to add now regarding teaching English although I've heard substitue teachers can make about $90/day here. I see ads for teaching often and have considered it but never followed up.