PDA

View Full Version : deciding on prices for jewerly:

aquababie19
12-16-2003, 04:46 PM
hey ladies...

i wore a wrap necklace that i made to work today. one of the ladies here wants 4 :) however this is my first venue into jewerly making. i have no idea of what to charge. two will be for adults and two for children. they will consist of the memory wire with glass beads or some bone beads. i will post a pic of the one i made myself.

so what would be a good starting price ladies ???
TIA:)

Lil Eve
12-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Aquababie: Sorry, I don't have a suggestion for you. But I am eagerly waiting on your picture of your jewelry!
(rubbing hands greedily)

aquababie19
12-17-2003, 10:29 PM
i will post it, but the chic backed out on me. i told her $10 a piece (which is what i've paid for mine)

Snazzybrown
12-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Hi Auqababie,

I also make jewelry. I have been doing this for a long time now. When I sell a single piece or a single set (necklace, bracelet), I charge about $7 for one and $10 for the set.

If someone buys more than one piece or set, I generally make a deal. Sometimes, people will come to me with only $8 or $9 for a set. I negotiate, but I never go below $8 for a set and $5 for a single piece.

When some people get things for a really good deal, they will regard it as cheap and may be unwilling to pay full price for your goods in the future.

I also compare prices with trendy boutiques to make sure that my prices are close but always lower.

HTH.

EarthTones
12-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Great suggestions Snazzybrown...I just wanted to add, if I may...

Make sure that you cover the cost of your materials (beads, wire, findings/classps, etc.) It may be cumbersome to pro-rate the costs of each component if you are using several difference supplies for one necklace, but you want to make sure that you are not losing any money on your jewelry. Also, don't be afraid to compensate yourself for the time you took to make the piece. Search the net and local shops/boutiques and make note of their prices for similar pieces.

It sounds as if $10.00 is a good price for the necklaces your co-worker is interested in. Best of luck with this creative endeavor :)

aquababie19
12-18-2003, 10:13 PM
thanks for the help ladies... so far i've made two for my own use. :)

aquababie19
12-24-2003, 08:11 AM
aqua's jewels (http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=aquababie19&password=62310224)

here's the link for the jewerly

JaiShi
12-26-2003, 06:05 AM
Hey Aqua,
I took a look a your necklaces and they are beautiful! I would not go under $10.

It's hard to suggest prices for other artists. As a customer I would pay maybe $25 per necklace and the more information I had on them i.e. "one of a kind original necklace with (insert bead description here i.e. extremely rare beads)" would make me consider paying more.

I would also take Earthtones advice:

Search the net and local shops/boutiques and make note of their prices for similar pieces.

HTH,
Jaishi
: )

aquababie19
12-26-2003, 02:58 PM
ty jaishi! i sold two for christmas...for $10 a piece.

and your paintings are so beautiful!