PDA

View Full Version : Soul Sonnets

Dreamyb
12-18-2003, 04:20 PM
fellow nappies are you upset with that dwele cd you purchased (or burned)? tired of the neo-soul trend? weeeeellllllllll. check out this cat if you can get your hands on it. i've been listening to it and i think it's worth purchasing if you dig someone who can rhyme, sing, and spit some spoken word. here is a review by tallahassee's own wiseone. check it.

http://www.divinecipher.com/galleries/people/dub/dubImages/dub1.jpg
http://www.illpoets.com/Dub/IMAGES/bohemiandub4.jpg
------------------------------------>
W. Ellington Felton's Soul Sonnets

Somewhere between the seedy side-streets and auspicious alleyways of the nation’s capital, conveniently located only a crackrock throw away from the hustle and bustle of upwardly mobile urban dwellers, in the shadow of the underground, lurks W. Ellington Felton. At once inextricably connected like the boots on cars immovably sitting along 14th Street, and free as the pigeons who fly above the city and **** on the White House, Felton, aka Dub Ell, emerges as a bridge and a beacon. All the while, though, remaining firmly rooted in the dirt and asphalt foundation that is hip-hop. This is hip-hop!

Felton's humble approach allows the listener to simply soak up his diverse, soulful vibes, and finally come to the realization that this is one talented Brotha! Another in a long line of D.C. area artists, he alternately raps, sings, and performs spoken word, transitioning from one to the other without missing a pause-break. He is the three dimensional updated version of the likes of the legendary Gil Scott Heron, with a Tribe sort of vibe. Felton delivers a brand of infectious grooves that's more in-your-head than in-your-face. After a couple of tracks, you simply begin to feel something that makes you eager to continue on.

Throughout the CD's 16 tracks, your time is invested wisely. Those who listen, I mean really listen, will be drawn in by Felton's unconventional metaphors and imagery. No bling-blinging or riffs about rides and deriding women here. In Got a Thang, Felton unabashedly rhymes "beyond physical frames I wanna hug your brain, I know that sounds strange but believe me I'm sane." In B.W.I.G., he creates a seemingly typical post-performance one-night stand setup, laced with just the right amount of doubt and second-guessing, then flips the script with an unexpected metaphysical twist and a mysterious conclusion leaving you pondering the secluded meaning.

Serious hip-hop heads will appreciate the pulsing, addictive flow of Four Seasons For Reasons, featuring a smooth back-and-forth sample of an old Bobby Caldwell tune. Felton digs deeper on Nuevo Uno Uno, sort of an apolitical storyline on the peripheral of that ill-fated day. The neo-soul crowd will definitely feel tracks like Love Is Something More and the song-half following the spoken word on Song of Soloman, both head-bobbin' ballads laced with unassuming truth and penetrating insight.

Several established and up and coming artists lend some name recognition. Prince Paul adds light-hearted humor and sarcasm. Fellow D.C. area artist K'Alyn, an underrated music veteran in his own right, contributes some production and vocals. Rising soul-stirrer Raheem DeVaughn gives additional flavor to the mix. In fact, the closest thing to a miss on the project is a lengthy, guttural poetic try delivered by Malcolm Jamal Warner.

Major props must be given to the project's producer Kyle Murdock, who has come up with a collection of classic sounding mixes and beats. Still, W. Ellington Felton imparts so much artistry that his presence and gift is unmistakable and certainly no random occurrence. Just as his full facial is obscured on the back cover, so currently is his star within the spectrum of the musical solar system. And like so many undiscovered moons and suns, his light is sure to shine…and he will rise!

by Wiseone

Vizion
12-18-2003, 10:45 PM
I've seen him perform on 8101 on Colours (Dish Network). The brotha's got style and soul. He reminds me of Musiq because of the simplicity of his lyrics. However I think he's just a grade level above Musiq in his view of love. I'm not big on buying cds lately but when I get some cash I'll pick it up.

Dreamyb
12-19-2003, 02:09 AM
yeah, he reminded me of musiq on some of his tracks but his music sooooooooo much better than that cats. this dude is not even in the same school as musiq imo :lol

as far as checking out his sounds,you might be able to sample some of his stuff on www.slsk.org.

*check the sixth track B.W.I.G- this one is kind of interesting in the way it unfolds.