PDA

View Full Version : Teach 'em Young

EarthyDiva
01-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I taught the 3rd and 4th graders in Sunday School a couple of months ago. Two sisters came in with fancy styles all the time. The week school started they came in with a cornrowed extensions. I am not a big proponent of weaves for children, but it was cute and simple.

However, it was soooo tight that I could see the stretching of their scalp. They asked me if I liked their style and I said I thought they looked really nice, but the important thing was that they liked it. They said they did, but that it always hurt. I said that hairstyles shouldn't be painful or you can damage your scalp. Response: But the braider says it has to be that tight so it can last. My response: You are paying good money, respectfully tell them that you don't want it tight and they should listen to you, you're the consumer what you want is imp!

Well two weeks ago two girls come scurrying up. You like our hair? Look we can move our eyebrows cause it's not too tight. Well what happened? We told her not to braid to tight b/c we didn't want to lose our hair!

My heart swelled :wub: :P,
GO GIRLS!

ED

sessktws
01-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Thats so cute

EarthyDiva
01-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I wish early on someone would have told me that I didn't have to take guff from professionals, and not just abt hair.

I don't want children going around rude and disrespectful, but they should have a voice that's heard and acknowledged.

ED

Janet'
02-09-2006, 05:11 PM
At the potential of getting pummeled with words, I will ask this very ignorant question: Traction alopecia is hair loss associated with the wearing of braids?

meecee
02-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Janet, yes traction alopecia is associated with wearing braids or any other style that pulls the hair too tightly.

Back on topic....this story is too cute. I've been wearing braids with extensions since the age of 4. My mom always braided my hair and it was/is never too tight. I still have all of my edges thanks to her. I've heard so many horror stories that to this day I am afraid to let anyone else braid my hair. People should be very conscious of tension when braiding childrens hair. I've seen little girls and boys under the age of 5 with their edges gone. I feel especially bad for the boys because it looks as if they will never have normal edges if they ever get a hair cut.

bluvember
02-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Awww, that is too sweet. There are so many folks out there that never even think of asking/telling their stylist that they don't like something that is being done to them or their heads. Its good to know that you put that possibility out there for them. I wonder why their parent hadn't thought of it though. If I saw my babies' hair was pulled too tight I would make sure to tell the stylist to ease up or i'd be taking my business elsewhere. But to just let them suffer in silence, I couldn't do it.