PDA

View Full Version : Angela Davis

leyley
01-17-2006, 09:20 PM
On Sunday evening I was fortunate enough to have what I consider a once in a life time oppturnity to see Angela Davis speak at my school. She was invited by the black grad student organization and she was amazing, to say the least!! :shocker: Her speech was about the corrupt system of prisons we have here in the US and about capital punishment. She talked about how it is just a ghost of slavery and had it not been for slavery capital punishment would not be around today. Her words were received like a million dollars. She gave me a greater understanding of what really needs to happen in America, social change. My passion is to work with troubled youth therefore I plan to become a juvenile defense attorney, but I feel that itsnt enough. The theme for the banquet was "Get out, Get up, Do something!" I have now a greater purpose to how I want to help not only my people but everyone!! Although this was a memorable occassion that I will not forget I was also greatly dishearted that some of my peers had no idea who she is. I was elated at the thought that I would be able to see her speak and when I told a couple of my friends they replied to me with a bland "Who?" My heart wanted to break. Is our history being forgotten?? Has my generation become that complacent that they do not understand that the freedoms we enjoy were not given to our parents? I know Im young but are we really that out of touch?? Im somewhat confused and frustrated and I need to know that someone out there isnt caught up in the material realm of things. Is the fact that someone as young as I am truly a sign of the times?? :( :dunno:

Naturalisgood
01-17-2006, 09:42 PM
On Sunday evening I was fortunate enough to have what I consider a once in a life time oppturnity to see Angela Davis speak at my school. She was invited by the black grad student organization and she was amazing, to say the least!! :shocker: Her speech was about the corrupt system of prisons we have here in the US and about capital punishment. She talked about how it is just a ghost of slavery and had it not been for slavery capital punishment would not be around today. Her words were received like a million dollars. She gave me a greater understanding of what really needs to happen in America, social change. My passion is to work with troubled youth therefore I plan to become a juvenile defense attorney, but I feel that itsnt enough. The theme for the banquet was "Get out, Get up, Do something!" I have now a greater purpose to how I want to help not only my people but everyone!! Although this was a memorable occassion that I will not forget I was also greatly dishearted that some of my peers had no idea who she is. I was elated at the thought that I would be able to see her speak and when I told a couple of my friends they replied to me with a bland "Who?" My heart wanted to break. Is our history being forgotten?? Has my generation become that complacent that they do not understand that the freedoms we enjoy were not given to our parents? I know Im young but are we really that out of touch?? Im somewhat confused and frustrated and I need to know that someone out there isnt caught up in the material realm of things. Is the fact that someone as young as I am truly a sign of the times?? :( :dunno:
[/b]

JCoily
01-17-2006, 10:37 PM
I told a couple of my friends they replied to me with a bland "Who?" My heart wanted to break. [/b]

Unfortunately I am not at all surprised.

MsShel330
01-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately, black history has been boiled down to Martin Luther King and Harriet Tubman with two or three other names thrown in as honorable mentions. A MUCH better job needs to be done with broadening (is that a word?) the field of knowledge.

I envy you. Angela Davis has been a shero of mine since childhood.

Andycne
01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
It is very sad that so many do not know their history. However, I am so happy that you were able to hear her. I envy you also....she is very inspiring.

babyraider04
01-18-2006, 01:09 AM
I envy you, for seeing Angela Davis. I had the opportunity to see her back in October, but had a big microbiology test the next day. Thought I envy you, I am truly happy for you. That is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I missed it.

JCoily
01-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Unfortunately, black history has been boiled down to Martin Luther King and Harriet Tubman with two or three other names thrown in as honorable mentions. A MUCH better job needs to be done with broadening (is that a word?) the field of knowledge. [/b]

The majority of black people know that these things are not taught in school, yet will not take it upon themselves to go to a library and pick up a book to supplement their knowledge of African/African American history, culuture, current events, politics, etc.

scurrie
01-18-2006, 05:15 AM
wow, where was the banquet?!

MsMila
01-18-2006, 05:31 AM
Girl, that is too cool. You got a chance to hear her speak, that is too much. I am sooo happy for you and I am really proud of the fact that you got something out of it. It seems as if it was a life changing event for you.

I too have experienced that heart ache when you talk to one of your friends and they are clueless as to who someone such as Angela Davis, Nat Turner, or Emmitt Tills is.

I may not be able to spell the names correctly but I can tell something about each of them. We have to wake up because if we don't learn about our past we will be lost in the future.

leyley
01-18-2006, 04:09 PM
wow, where was the banquet?!
[/b]

At the Reitz Union in the Grand ballroom. Are you a Gator??

I recorded a little of her speech. If anyone is interested I can send it to you or can someone tell me how to post it on here. It is an actual recording and plays on Windows Media player. Oh and how do I post a pic on here because I have some far away pics of her too. Let me know.

cyranosgirl
01-18-2006, 05:11 PM
It's VERY sad. My daughter's friend got on an elevator with a man. He kept staring at the man because he looked familiar. He thought the man was a friend of his parents. Their conversation went like this:

Steven: You look familiar...have we met?
Older man (smiling): I don't know, son. What's your name?
Steven: Steven, sir.
Older man (extending his hand): Nice to meet you, Steven. My name is Jesse Jackson.

I told him not to EVER tell that story again!

leyley
01-18-2006, 05:13 PM
It's VERY sad. My daughter's friend got on an elevator with a man. He kept staring at the man because he looked familiar. He thought the man was a friend of his parents. Their conversation went like this:

Steven: You look familiar...have we met?
Older man (smiling): I don't know, son. What's your name?
Steven: Steven, sir.
Older man (extending his hand): Nice to meet you, Steven. My name is Jesse Jackson.

I told him not to EVER tell that story again!
[/b]

WOW!!! :blink:

cyranosgirl
01-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I know, right? And this is not a stupid kid, either. He's a computer science major in his last year. Smart as a whip.

SweeTaya
01-18-2006, 06:35 PM
OP you go to UF? I was born in Gainesville and always wanted to go to UF. That is so cool that you got to hear her speak. I have a picture of her when she had the afro on my cp screen at work, Marines always come in and ask if its me (it has her name on the bottom). I just say no, but I hope to accomplish as much if not more then she has in my life.

leyley
01-19-2006, 04:09 AM
OP you go to UF? I was born in Gainesville and always wanted to go to UF. That is so cool that you got to hear her speak. I have a picture of her when she had the afro on my cp screen at work, Marines always come in and ask if its me (it has her name on the bottom). I just say no, but I hope to accomplish as much if not more then she has in my life.
[/b]

Yeah Im a Gator!! I Love it too!! If you are still in Gville then check out the Black History Month celebrations. They start on the 27 of this month. Come to opening ceremony at 7pm in the Rion ball room at the Reitz Union.

MsCurly85
01-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately, black history has been boiled down to Martin Luther King and Harriet Tubman with two or three other names thrown in as honorable mentions. A MUCH better job needs to be done with broadening (is that a word?) the field of knowledge.

[/b]

i agree

maibaby
01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
If we know our children aren't going to get it at school, it is then OUR responsibility to teach them about our history. On MLK day, I talked to a group of about 15 children, 6 of them only knew MLK was the reason they didn't have to go to school, but they really had no idea why.

It's so sad.

angielocks
01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
wow!...i wish i could have been there...i used to tell people i was named after angela davis!

mydestiny
01-20-2006, 02:38 PM
I too got a chance to see & hear Angela Davis speak - back in 1990 on the campus of KU. I was only 10 years old at the time, but what she said and the energy of the crowd will always be with me. Last year my bf and I also got the chance to see and hear Nikki Giovanni at a MLK JR. Day Dinner- it was fantastic!!

I also never seen so many nappies at one gathering- what a pleasant sight! :wub:

krenaye76
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
I am sooooo jealous. Dang.

What an awesome opportunity!

rozlips
01-20-2006, 05:38 PM
This doesn't surprise me. I remember years ago when I was a customer service rep, a gentleman called me and his address was on Medgar Evers Blvd. He was stunned when I told him that I knew how to spell it. He told me that he rarely encountered anyone who even recalled who Evers was. I thought that was so sad.

I don't understand why folks don't teach their children about our heroes/sheroes. We're always lamenting the lack of role models, yet we don't teach our children about all the wonderful ones we already have. My kids have already seen pictures of the great ones and can say their names. Of course, they don't know detailed stories yet, but at least they can recognize the pictures. (I think they think they're relatives, but that's okay too. In a way they are.)

MsShel330
01-20-2006, 08:02 PM
address was on Medgar Evers Blvd[/b]

Cool. What town is this? I hope it's not a rundown neighborhood. They love to put streets named after blacks in crappy parts of town.

rozlips
01-21-2006, 05:38 PM
It's been a while, but I think it was in Jackson MS. I know for sure it was in Mississippi.

nina
01-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't understand why folks don't teach their children about our heroes/sheroes. We're always lamenting the lack of role models, yet we don't teach our children about all the wonderful ones we already have. My kids have already seen pictures of the great ones and can say their names. Of course, they don't know detailed stories yet, but at least they can recognize the pictures. (I think they think they're relatives, but that's okay too. In a way they are.)[/b]

Umm, you sure you from Alabama cuz you sound like mine.

There is a home video of me as a wee one naming pictures of people and I could say 'macheteros' or Fidel, Malcolm or Che before I could say my own name. When they showed me a picture of me I'd only say 'bebé'.

AngelaDavis
01-22-2006, 05:11 PM
It really is sad that so many black people don't know about our own culture and history... I'm in high school and not too many people could name important black leaders other than MLK or Malcolm X... But there are a few of us still lurking....thats why i intend to become an educator...to inform the next generations.

seek_first
01-24-2006, 12:39 AM
As shameful as it is that the education of our history is being ignored not only by the mainstream but also by some parts of our culture, I can't fault any one person. The books are in the library, the articles are on the internet, the cultural centers are in the majority of major metro areas, and the older relatives are around to tell their story.

steem04
01-25-2006, 02:04 PM

[/b]

ITA

dembasamba
01-29-2006, 05:23 PM
People should seek to educate themselves, its true, but I also blame the k-12 educational system for not teaching about important Americans because their skin happens to be dark.

Transitionista
01-30-2006, 05:20 AM
What a great opportunity to meet THE Angela Davis! I loveeee Nikki Giovanni(I met and heard her twice-fan for life!*points to self*) lol Anyways, just curious *looking side to side* Did she have her signature fro?:-)

simply natural
02-01-2006, 12:42 AM
WOW. thats all i can say. Angela Davis??!! WOW

Jazitones
02-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Feel honored that you got to here the sista speak, yes she is amazing.